English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   Sundays (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/109854-sundays.html)

J.L-P 28.03.2011 12:13

Re: Sundays
 
And don't forget about Foxtown!!! http://www.foxtown.ch/info.php?lingu...ntro=mendrisio

Peg A 28.03.2011 12:24

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianlondon (Post 1149945)
I don't mind the shops in Basel being shut on Sunday (mainly cos the Asian shop I use, and a Migros and Coop by SBB, are open) but they should open decent hours the rest of the week.

Not far from central Stuttgart where I used to live, my local and quite large Rewe superkarket was open until 10pm six days a week. Now it's midnight. Where I live not far from central Basel (Brausebad) the local supermatkets shut about 4pm on Saturday (6:30pm weekdays, just before I get back from work). Stupid.


Just in case you've not been (so haven't had the chance to notice) the two Aldi locations I tend to shop are both open until 8pm during the week (possibly Saturday as well) AND both the M Parc Migros and the Coop at Volta Center are also open til 8pm during the week (but only 6:30pm on Sat).

The new Aldi at Birmansgasse and the less-new (but newer than some) one at Bachgraben are the two I mean. :)

summerrain 28.03.2011 12:27

Re: Sundays
 
I think I'm slowly becoming very Swissified because I love how quiet Sundays are. :eek:

I come from a land where gigantic shopping malls are the norm and open to 10pm daily - yes even on Sundays, Christmas and New Years day!!! Weekends were always spent idling away window shopping with the rest of the weekend crowd, meeting friends for meals etc. Stressful and hectic, and come Monday, you dont feel rested and wondered where the weekend has gone. :mad:

Ever since we've moved here, Sundays are reserved for long walks with the dog, exploring new trails, brunch, followed by a long nap and the occasional pub quiz.

Also, its a myth that nothing opens on Sundays. At least shops below the Stadelhofen station opens (Coop, florists, pharmacy - the basics) and some cafes too. I found the loveliest calla lilies on my way home from brunch yesterday and I was over the moon. Yes, on a Sunday! :) The simple joys in life - and I always feel rested, ready to tackle the week ahead come Monday mornings.

NotAllThere 28.03.2011 12:28

Re: Sundays
 
I met up with a friend for coffee on Sunday, near Barfusserplatz (Basel). The town was just as crowded as it is on a Saturday. So it seems plenty of people have found something to do. Maybe the problem lies with the OP! :p

Jimmy Bee 28.03.2011 12:49

Re: Sundays
 
Who said restaurants and pubs are closed Sunday? Thats bullcrap. They more than likely open later but they do open

Treverus 28.03.2011 12:58

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Bee (Post 1150118)
Who said restaurants and pubs are closed Sunday? Thats bullcrap. They more than likely open later but they do open

How often do you eat out on Sundays?
Many restaurants are closed - Completely. Hardly anything is open for lunch.
More or less the only ones open in Zurich are the low-end Asian places at the upper end of Langstrasse, the usual suspects of fast food chains, some Irish bars and Vapiano in Sihlcity. The average restaurant is closed.

Jimmy Bee 28.03.2011 13:06

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 1150135)
How often do you eat out on Sundays?
Many restaurants are closed - Completely. Hardly anything is open for lunch.
More or less the only ones open in Zurich are the low-end Asian places at the upper end of Langstrasse, the usual suspects of fast food chains, some Irish bars and Vapiano in Sihlcity. The average restaurant is closed.

Basically every sunday. Then again I only tend to go to our favourites which are either in langstrasse or nierderdorf. We always walk past cafe's and restaurants that are open though. A few on the limmat have a quite a few people in them. Many are closed, you are correct, but there are a great deal open

Peg A 28.03.2011 13:12

Re: Sundays
 
Well, here is another suggestion for a Sunday activity (including eats)...

Restaurant Schlosshof Dornach is open on Sundays and it happens to be (and the reason for the name), right "at" the ruins of Dornach Castle (Schloss Dornach).

I've been there a few times on Sunday afternoons, the food is pretty good (often m-i-l just wants meringue and whipped cream, apparently some special fresh cream is used) and the view is amazing.

The ruins themselves are interesting to walk around and explore but there are also some bike and / or hiking trails to and from the area and a few bbq pits that I've seen as well. So, whatever you like to do, walk, run or bike, eat at a restaurant or bring something to grill, it certainly could make for a good weekend activity. :)

http://www.swisscastles.ch/solothurn...rneck878_3.jpg

Treverus 28.03.2011 13:49

Re: Sundays
 
That restaurant looks a bit run down to me...

28.03.2011 15:59

Re: Sundays
 
It is the only one where smoking is allowed.

Boredom 30.03.2011 11:46

Re: Sundays
 
It's a love-hate relationship for me. Like you, I hate the fact that nothing is open (especially gorcery stores when I need something xD), but this forces me to do things I wouldn't otherwise do. Hiking, skiing, bike-riding, swimming are all things that I can enjoy doing where there's nothign else to do, of course assuming I can get my lazy butt out the door xD.

AJG 25.04.2011 22:28

Re: Sundays
 
Having just moved to Zurich from Manhattan I am still smarting over the lack of Sunday options...I loved that New York was a 24/7 city but am slowly coming round to the enforced peace and quiet of Switzerland...very slowly ;)

It's not so much the shopping I miss as I'm trying to avoid buying anything other than food given the Swiss prices...and at least the Migros at the HB is open on Sundays (and for a station supermarket it's amazingly well stocked - I doubt find Barbary Duck at Sainsbury's Local in a train station in England!!).

But I do miss the cafes and terraces of Paris and New York. Does anyone have any recs of nice cafes open in Zurich on Sundays?

I know there is a Pain Quotidien near Sihlbrucke that is but I've not found much else. Would love any local tips :)

Thanks!

ximix 25.04.2011 22:39

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJG (Post 1178174)
...
But I do miss the cafes and terraces of Paris and New York. Does anyone have any recs of nice cafes open in Zurich on Sundays?

I know there is a Pain Quotidien near Sihlbrucke that is but I've not found much else. Would love any local tips :)

Thanks!

Check out Cafe Felix at Bellevue. It's open on Sundays from 0900 to 2030.

Wollishofener 25.04.2011 23:03

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by english_girl (Post 1149116)
is it just me or do you really not love switzerland on sundays, there's never anything todo, and all the shops are closed -_- thats where it should bemore like enlgand. :)

The England I lived in in autumn 72 and re-visited for decades was a country where most shops even in London were totally closed on Sundays and where the pubs, at times when midnight here was closing-time, closed already at 11pm :p and so if this has possibly changed in the last few years, I might remind you of the fact, that there were NO open shops in rail-stations in Switzerland until the late 1990ies. Further on, to ignore the open shops in rail-stations and at airports simply is wrong, as these shops are an important feature of life in modern Switzerland.

Wollishofener 25.04.2011 23:12

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 1150135)
How often do you eat out on Sundays?
Many restaurants are closed - Completely. Hardly anything is open for lunch.
More or less the only ones open in Zurich are the low-end Asian places at the upper end of Langstrasse, the usual suspects of fast food chains, some Irish bars and Vapiano in Sihlcity. The average restaurant is closed.

The restaurants in downtown are open also for lunch.

Guest 25.04.2011 23:13

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1178197)
The England I lived in in autumn 72

My maths isn't very good, but that was 39 years ago, wasn't it? :confused:

Wollishofener 25.04.2011 23:14

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredom (Post 1152801)
It's a love-hate relationship for me. Like you, I hate the fact that nothing is open (especially gorcery stores when I need something xD), but this forces me to do things I wouldn't otherwise do. Hiking, skiing, bike-riding, swimming are all things that I can enjoy doing where there's nothign else to do, of course assuming I can get my lazy butt out the door xD.

You from Baden have direct S-Bahn links to Zch HB & Stadelhofen with really good grocery stores (M at HB + Coop at Stadelhofen)

Wollishofener 25.04.2011 23:16

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJG (Post 1178174)
Having just moved to Zurich from Manhattan I am still smarting over the lack of Sunday options...I loved that New York was a 24/7 city but am slowly coming round to the enforced peace and quiet of Switzerland...very slowly ;)

It's not so much the shopping I miss as I'm trying to avoid buying anything other than food given the Swiss prices...and at least the Migros at the HB is open on Sundays (and for a station supermarket it's amazingly well stocked - I doubt find Barbary Duck at Sainsbury's Local in a train station in England!!).

But I do miss the cafes and terraces of Paris and New York. Does anyone have any recs of nice cafes open in Zurich on Sundays?

I know there is a Pain Quotidien near Sihlbrucke that is but I've not found much else. Would love any local tips :)

Thanks!

I am so sorry, but to compare Manhattan and Paris with Zurich is grotesque ! :D

Wollishofener 25.04.2011 23:18

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

My maths isn't very good, but that was 39 years ago, wasn't it? :confused:
Sure, but October 2000 was NOT :D

st2lemans 25.04.2011 23:19

Re: Sundays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 1150135)
How often do you eat out on Sundays?
Many restaurants are closed - Completely. Hardly anything is open for lunch.
More or less the only ones open in Zurich are the low-end Asian places at the upper end of Langstrasse, the usual suspects of fast food chains, some Irish bars and Vapiano in Sihlcity. The average restaurant is closed.

Come to Ticino, basically all restaurants are open on Sunday (but closed on Monday or Tuesday)

Of course, you will need to forget this german nonsense and learn a REAL language (i.e. ITALIAN).

Tom


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0