Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.04.2011, 16:27
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Dunroaming has earned some respectDunroaming has earned some respect
neighbours below mad on incense sticks

i have smelly neighbours, i'm sure for them it's not smelly but for me the smell of incense sticks that they use for buddist worshipping is very strong and not a particulary easy smell to cope with. you can have other sticks that are sold in hippy stores that aren't that bad but the ones they use are particularly bad. being in switzerland, surely there is a rule somewhere, where they don't allow you to release such strong smells. When you walk in the whole apartment communal walk ways smell. I live above them and they burn it outside but somehow it still travels into the communal areas and on a sunny day like yesterday naturally it's nice to air the apartment and have the breeze come in but it was smelly breeze.
i have been tempted to "over water" my balcony plants onto the incense burning below me...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.04.2011, 16:33
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
View Post
i have smelly neighbours, i'm sure for them it's not smelly but for me the smell of incense sticks that they use for buddist worshipping is very strong and not a particulary easy smell to cope with. you can have other sticks that are sold in hippy stores that aren't that bad but the ones they use are particularly bad. being in switzerland, surely there is a rule somewhere, where they don't allow you to release such strong smells. When you walk in the whole apartment communal walk ways smell. I live above them and they burn it outside but somehow it still travels into the communal areas and on a sunny day like yesterday naturally it's nice to air the apartment and have the breeze come in but it was smelly breeze.
i have been tempted to "over water" my balcony plants onto the incense burning below me...
Good incense is very potent indeed, much like the way eau de parfuum vs eau de toilette and base natural oils vs diluted oils, they only need to be used in very small doses, if they are new to the game, ask them how much they are using. It might also be used to mask the smell of cooking, marijuana or granny rotting under the floorboards.

Last edited by Upthehatters2008; 04.04.2011 at 16:45.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.04.2011, 16:46
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
View Post
i have smelly neighbours, i'm sure for them it's not smelly but for me the smell of incense sticks that they use for buddist worshipping is very strong and not a particulary easy smell to cope with. you can have other sticks that are sold in hippy stores that aren't that bad but the ones they use are particularly bad. being in switzerland, surely there is a rule somewhere, where they don't allow you to release such strong smells. When you walk in the whole apartment communal walk ways smell. I live above them and they burn it outside but somehow it still travels into the communal areas and on a sunny day like yesterday naturally it's nice to air the apartment and have the breeze come in but it was smelly breeze.
i have been tempted to "over water" my balcony plants onto the incense burning below me...
how often do they do it?

Not sure if its the taoists or buddhists, but they do burn incense sticks once or twice a day as part of their faith, though they dont last for more than 1-2 hours. Unless it goes on for majority of the day, you'd be hard pressed to tell them stop.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.04.2011, 16:47
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Dunroaming has earned some respectDunroaming has earned some respect
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

from my little window i can see below that they are offering little morsals and drinks to Budda and it's that smell of temples when you're in asia...
surely there must be a rule on no overpowering smells in apartments, it's jsut as annoying as loud music or showering too late at night...but it lingers for hours and hours and my apartment and clothes then stink like a temple.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.04.2011, 16:49
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
View Post
from my little window i can see below that they are offering little morsals and drinks to Budda and it's that smell of temples when you're in asia...
surely there must be a rule on no overpowering smells in apartments, it's jsut as annoying as loud music or showering too late at night...but it lingers for hours and hours and my apartment and clothes then stink like a temple.
Buy them a packet of your favourite brand. Use it as an ice breaker to meet them. If they are Buddhist, they will be very approachable and genuinely receptive to your concerns.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 04.04.2011, 17:00
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
View Post
from my little window i can see below that they are offering little morsals and drinks to Budda and it's that smell of temples when you're in asia...
surely there must be a rule on no overpowering smells in apartments, it's jsut as annoying as loud music or showering too late at night...but it lingers for hours and hours and my apartment and clothes then stink like a temple.
Maybe I am missing the point but from my understanding, buddhist incense offerings do not burn ALL day. Its just unfortunate that it has seeped into your apartment and prevented you from enjoying your fresh air yesterday.

As far as I can see, telling them to stop is like asking them not tp practice their faith the way they've always known how, and you'll just end up looking like the intolerant/ignorant arse of a neighbour. lose-lose situation. Either move, or suck it up by investing in more air fresheners.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summerrain for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.04.2011, 17:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
View Post
As far as I can see, telling them to stop is like asking them not tp practice their faith the way they've always known how, and you'll just end up looking like the intolerant/ignorant arse of a neighbour. lose-lose situation. Either move, or suck it up by investing in more air fresheners.
But I think there is room for a bit of tolerance and understanding on both sides. If such a smell would be lasting for hours at a time and permeating my living space and my clothes I think that's grounds for at least a chat with them to let them know.

Maybe they don't realise the effect they are having on the OP's life. It would drive me nuts, too, to be smelling constantly of incense (my in-laws would think I'd taken up weed), plus strong smells like that normally bring on a headache for me.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 04.04.2011, 17:22
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
But I think there is room for a bit of tolerance and understanding on both sides. If such a smell would be lasting for hours at a time and permeating my living space and my clothes I think that's grounds for at least a chat with them to let them know.

Maybe they don't realise the effect they are having on the OP's life. It would drive me nuts, too, to be smelling constantly of incense (my in-laws would think I'd taken up weed), plus strong smells like that normally bring on a headache for me.
Yes of course - which is exactly why I asked Dunroaming how long and often they burn the incense for. If it isnt the whole day, and only for a couple of hours (till the incense offerings burn out), they cant help the lingering smell. Its part and parcel of practising their faith. One of my grandmothers was a buddhist and she had to do offerings once a day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.04.2011, 17:24
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,513
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,711 Times in 9,948 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
But I think there is room for a bit of tolerance and understanding on both sides. If such a smell would be lasting for hours at a time and permeating my living space and my clothes I think that's grounds for at least a chat with them to let them know.

Maybe they don't realise the effect they are having on the OP's life. It would drive me nuts, too, to be smelling constantly of incense (my in-laws would think I'd taken up weed), plus strong smells like that normally bring on a headache for me.
My take on this as it's no worse than having neighbours who constantly smoke - and you can't do anything about that.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 04.04.2011, 17:28
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Quote:
View Post
Buy them a packet of your favourite brand. Use it as an ice breaker to meet them. If they are Buddhist, they will be very approachable and genuinely receptive to your concerns.
Quote:
View Post
Maybe I am missing the point but from my understanding, buddhist incense offerings do not burn ALL day. Its just unfortunate that it has seeped into your apartment and prevented you from enjoying your fresh air yesterday.

As far as I can see, telling them to stop is like asking them not tp practice their faith the way they've always known how, and you'll just end up looking like the intolerant/ignorant arse of a neighbour. lose-lose situation. Either move, or suck it up by investing in more air fresheners.
I agree with upthehatters and summerrain,

I realise the scent isn't fantastic for you, but how this will be resolved will depend entirely on your approach to the situation.

Simply telling them you don't like it and asking them to stop will only cause you a brand new world of pain.

The offerings suggest this is a religious issue and you are going to have to be a bit more delicate and understanding about it.

Buddhists would have to be the easiest going people on planet earth, so approaching them and discussing the issue shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Upthehatters suggestion of perhaps offering them a scent you do find pleasant does sound to be a fair compromise, but also engaging in an open discussion about the religion also seems fair.

Asking them to stop just in't cool though. It has a religious purpose. If it was just drug smoking hippy's you'd have a pretty strong case, so best to show a bit of respect here.

You may also find that (not that I know) the sticks could be cut in half to reduce the total volume of smoke you are exposed to...... but get the low down on the religion first to be polite.
(if only to get to know your neighbours a bit better).

Last edited by TidakApa; 04.04.2011 at 17:30. Reason: .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 04.04.2011, 17:31
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,242
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,110 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

Sadly in appartment life sometimes you just have to accept it. What might be acceptable to one person could be totally unpleasant to someone else.

I recall a recent thread on a smelly crab curry, others on cigar smoke - guess it depends how many are in your block and if anyone else is affected as to what action you can take.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.04.2011, 19:01
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Dunroaming has earned some respectDunroaming has earned some respect
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

ummm. i think i will see how it goes, I think normally I would be fine and not complain but since I am pregnant some smells just make me feel a little sick. I do have smokers next door too but they seem to not be so bad, i don't smell it. I think I might ask them if it's possible to use a different window as there are five choices and the one they have chosen is right in the middle of all the rooms either side and directly above the window i usually keep open as it's the kitchen. we'll see...got to try speak in french that's also a problem!!!
it did seem to linger for a good few hours and was particulary strong, not sure they would like the suggestion of cutting it in half, i think they do it once in morning and once in evening. Maybe i might get used to it....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.04.2011, 21:52
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,313
Groaned at 160 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 8,353 Times in 3,094 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neighbours below mad on incense sticks

I had Benedictine monks living downstairs. They asked me if I there was any possibility of them doing unaccompanied religious singing. I said "No chants".

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incense - and holders - Zurich dodgyken Daily life 9 18.04.2013 16:58
Attempting to find a tenant (in the sticks) Country_Mouse Housing in general 2 05.10.2010 11:13
Mandy sticks it to Starbucks founder Castro International affairs/politics 30 30.04.2009 12:04
Nice neighbours (part3 Sh*tty neighbours) HAT Complaints corner 7 06.10.2006 14:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0