Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11.05.2011, 10:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I have already made plans to move
Quote:
View Post
I say find a new place and a new beginning. You will never feel safe in your apartment again.
Quote:
View Post
I'd move if I were you too.
Seriously, people?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 11.05.2011, 11:33
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I dont have any house insurance
But I hear, normal house insurance does not cover theft ?
Normal household insurance will cover you if it's a clear break and enter. You have taken the precaution and you were violated, and you should be eligle with almost every policy.

If you're door was unlocked or something, then I could imagine a policy not covering you....... but a crowbar !!!!


Get the insurance next time. It's always better to loose a couple of hundred each year, rather than a couple of thousand when misfortune strikes.

Long term, insurance pays off.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 11.05.2011, 11:40
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I have already made plans to move
Also, one other tip re: moving

When you have your list of new places, seperately enquire about the insurance from one single company.

The higher the insurance, the higher the probability you will be broken into again.


(N.B. this is usually a factor of the suburb, and the building structure of the house)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 11.05.2011, 11:44
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

I think for jewelery they usually ask for a list or some proof that you are wearing the jewelery in the past.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11.05.2011, 12:46
princessduck's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 891
Groaned at 41 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 265 Posts
princessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputation
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

That is terrible!
A burglary in my apartment is one of my nightmares .
I hope you will sort it out somehow!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank princessduck for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 11.05.2011, 15:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
skrishk do you live alone? I'd be scared out of my pants... maybe you know somebody who could spend some nights with you until you've found a new place?

Thanks for your concern... But I am really not scared of staying alone (maybe i m stupid) ! What I am worried about is , I m still going to have to get to work everyday.. and I return home mostly late (9ish)... if they try again, they will just succeed everytime !

The bigger problem is, I am living in a house which was going to be renovated in October this year... so, most of the other tenants have vacated already. Now the renovation is postponed to next year, and it is pretty much only me who is remaining in the whole building !

There would be nobody within hearing distance... now this does sound a lil scary !!??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 11.05.2011, 15:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I think for jewelery they usually ask for a list or some proof that you are wearing the jewelery in the past.
I heard from a colleague that for jewellery they ask for either the bill or a photo. Unfortunately they did not have either and the Zurich Polizei just refused to hand over the jewels...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11.05.2011, 15:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Normal household insurance will cover you if it's a clear break and enter. You have taken the precaution and you were violated, and you should be eligle with almost every policy.

If you're door was unlocked or something, then I could imagine a policy not covering you....... but a crowbar !!!!


Get the insurance next time. It's always better to loose a couple of hundred each year, rather than a couple of thousand when misfortune strikes.

Long term, insurance pays off.

Lesson learnt !
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11.05.2011, 16:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Tone of message : Non emotional

Does anyone here know anything about what happens to such stolen articles ? Do they wipe out data in the laptop (for example) and try to sell it ? Should I be on the lookout in places like Ricardo, ebay etc., ?

Why is no one talking about 'how things could be retrieved' ?


I ask again, is there anything I can do except wait and hope the Police manage a breakthrough ??
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11.05.2011, 16:53
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,351
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,674 Times in 8,568 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Tone of message : Non emotional

Does anyone here know anything about what happens to such stolen articles ? Do they wipe out data in the laptop (for example) and try to sell it ? Should I be on the lookout in places like Ricardo, ebay etc., ?

Why is no one talking about 'how things could be retrieved' ?


I ask again, is there anything I can do except wait and hope the Police manage a breakthrough ??
Well, sorry to say so but most criminals would not be stupid enough to put it on ebay in the same country. Your electronics are likely by now somewhere in Eastern Europe... the exception would be drug-related crime where a junkie tries to steal to pay his drugs. I don't know if Junkies have ricardo accounts though.
I guess the cops can see in a split second weather it was some junkie or a pro. And I make the wild guess that they thought it to be professional, so you do not need to look for prints as you won't find any. On the up side does this mean that the same guy is very unlikely to come again to your appartment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 11.05.2011, 18:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Well, sorry to say so but most criminals would not be stupid enough to put it on ebay in the same country. Your electronics are likely by now somewhere in Eastern Europe... the exception would be drug-related crime where a junkie tries to steal to pay his drugs. I don't know if Junkies have ricardo accounts though.
I guess the cops can see in a split second weather it was some junkie or a pro. And I make the wild guess that they thought it to be professional, so you do not need to look for prints as you won't find any. On the up side does this mean that the same guy is very unlikely to come again to your appartment.

The police did not try to lift any prints - maybe they thot twas a pro..
But they did notice a boot print right at the entrance. They checked all my shoes to make sure it was not mine - this suggests that it was indeed a junkie ?

I hear that if it was a junkie, he would just hand over the stuff to someone else and immediately get money for it.. and this other person would then try to sell it off..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11.05.2011, 18:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Interesting thing :

My kitchen was untouched.. every other place was searched inch by inch.. so, if you have something to be kept safe, hide it in your kitchen !?

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11.05.2011, 18:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I say find a new place and a new beginning.
Quote:
View Post
I'd move if I were you too.
Quote:
View Post
Seriously, people?

Well, considering the fact that I will be the only one in the entire building (of total 6 apartments) from next week, it does make a lot of sense to move... atleast to another place where there are other people living in the same building !!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11.05.2011, 21:40
CathHarmony's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Best City, Greatest Nation
Posts: 1,410
Groaned at 197 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 1,208 Times in 641 Posts
CathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

I was once told a popular thieving strategy is that they wait a few months, by then you have replaced the stolen stuff, then they steal your new stuff. I havnt heard it happen to anyone but it sounds reasonable to me. I would move.

Cath

ps Was your flat on the ground floor?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CathHarmony for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 11.05.2011, 22:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Sounds scary... In a few months even I would start to relax - casually leave stuff around (not locked away)... Makes it sound very logical and possible

I live in the first floor... The other two apmts in my floor are empty.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11.05.2011, 23:13
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Sounds scary... In a few months even I would start to relax - casually leave stuff around (not locked away)... Makes it sound very logical and possible

I live in the first floor... The other two apmts in my floor are empty.
How about getting house insurance .... There are few hints in the thread
Unfortunately shit happens and you have to deal with it ...
But just minimize the impact should it happen again.

Had you lived in London, Paris or Barcelona the police would have reacted the same way - it;s not a big crime, it's not really serious - to them.
In fact, in the UK, the police wouldn't have even turned up - they would have just given you a crime number
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12.05.2011, 00:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Long term, insurance pays off.
I agree with the sentiment of your post (that the minor pain of premiums is far preferable to the major agony of losing your most cherished possessions), but -- and I hate to be technical about this -- in the long term, insurance does not pay off! By that I mean that in aggregate, over time, premiums paid by the punters far exceed the amounts paid out by the insurers.

That's why insurance company executives are paid per month in excess of the amounts you or I might earn in a year, and why their corporate HQs look like this:



while you and I continue to pay to insure our 3.5-zimmer apartments ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 12.05.2011, 00:38
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 358
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

The most worrying thing is the reaction of the police. In my work I've had a lot of experience with them and I noticed a lot of difference, depending on what kind of mood they were in and if they felt like doing the job.

They should search for finger prints, they should take that shoe print and when they've found him, you would even get your stuff back, if he's still got it.
I would've insisted on taking these prints or would at least asked for an explanation, why they didn't do it.
But... it's easy to say that after it is over...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12.05.2011, 08:21
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
The most worrying thing is the reaction of the police. In my work I've had a lot of experience with them and I noticed a lot of difference, depending on what kind of mood they were in and if they felt like doing the job.

They should search for finger prints, they should take that shoe print and when they've found him, you would even get your stuff back, if he's still got it.
I would've insisted on taking these prints or would at least asked for an explanation, why they didn't do it.
But... it's easy to say that after it is over...
Perhaps they fell looking for one of the laptops or phones stolen each day was the best use of their time ... and they have a point TBH

Why do 5k forensic tests for a 1k laptop?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12.05.2011, 08:32
robyn.oz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts
robyn.oz is considered knowledgeablerobyn.oz is considered knowledgeablerobyn.oz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Burglary in my apartment !! Any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I was once told a popular thieving strategy is that they wait a few months, by then you have replaced the stolen stuff, then they steal your new stuff. I havnt heard it happen to anyone but it sounds reasonable to me. I would move.

Cath

ps Was your flat on the ground floor?
That happened to a friend of mine, not here though. It wasn't twice either, it was 3 times. Turns out it was her neighbours. They knew her and her partners working times, knew her dog (Great Dane) and knew when all the items were likely to be replaced. The police got them in the end...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burglary juliew Complaints corner 28 09.05.2012 16:08
[Lessons learned] Burglary - how and what? Lob Housing in general 38 01.03.2012 09:43
Burglary warning bigblue2 Daily life 47 29.04.2011 14:46
Apartment Seeking Advice DanaT Housing in general 1 15.04.2008 07:51
Advice for apartment interview with owner saraTG Housing in general 9 17.07.2007 15:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0