Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 17.05.2011, 19:52
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Or don't spend enough daily time on EF to be groaned at.

Few posts, few groans - more postings, more options for a groan.

Quote:
View Post
Wear your groans with pride.

The only people on this forum without any groans are either utter newbies or spineless spongers who won't lean out and say anything that somebody might, maybe, disagree with.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 17.05.2011, 19:58
chiguy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 511
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 322 Times in 190 Posts
chiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputation
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
Or don't spend enough daily time on EF to be groaned at.

Few posts, few groans - more postings, more options for a groan.
Must resist urge to groan...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank chiguy for this useful post:
  #143  
Old 17.05.2011, 20:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

I feel very uncomfortable with this thread. I've been incredibly lucky to never ever have suffered from any form of racism (about from being told here I am not British- but that's water of my duckie back)- but I've witnessed racism being dished out to friends and students who dress differently and are a different shade of skin. Most cope well with one of two incidents, but if you live where it happens regularly, it is VERY difficult to ignore, shake off and not to be deeply hurt by it. The behaviour of the café staff was totally out of order- why some try to excuse it, I have no idea. All I can say is, well you try it sometime.

Trying to imagine why they behaved that way- without excusing it in any way. Perhaps they've had a large increase of immigrants in the area lately, and this using the WC has been a regular thing? I must say if I am 'caught short' and have to go to a café, I'll always stop and have a drink to 'pay for the service' (problem is, need to go again 15 mins later ..). They have to pay premises, staff, cleaning staff, WC paper, etc, and with the downturn in café takings (smoking ban + la crise) they've had to lay off staff. I don't know- maybe they are just downright racist. As a Swiss I have to admit that many of my compatriots ARE racist - it hurts to admit, but it is a plain fact - sadly. If I lived near you, I'd gladly go with you to talk to the Manager and make it clear that was utterly unacceptable- but I live too far away, sorry. Hope you can get over this, get to know your neighbours and make some lasting friendships. If EF members still continue to misuse this thread to make you feel even worse, then I feel it should be locked.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #144  
Old 17.05.2011, 20:56
Tweener
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
I feel very uncomfortable with this thread. I've been incredibly lucky to never ever have suffered from any form of racism (about from being told here I am not British- but that's water of my duckie back)- but I've witnessed racism being dished out to friends and students who dress differently and are a different shade of skin. Most cope well with one of two incidents, but if you live where it happens regularly, it is VERY difficult to ignore, shake off and not to be deeply hurt by it. The behaviour of the café staff was totally out of order- why some try to excuse it, I have no idea. All I can say is, well you try it sometime.

Trying to imagine why they behaved that way- without excusing it in any way. Perhaps they've had a large increase of immigrants in the area lately, and this using the WC has been a regular thing? I must say if I am 'caught short' and have to go to a café, I'll always stop and have a drink to 'pay for the service' (problem is, need to go again 15 mins later ..). They have to pay premises, staff, cleaning staff, WC paper, etc, and with the downturn in café takings (smoking ban + la crise) they've had to lay off staff. I don't know- maybe they are just downright racist. As a Swiss I have to admit that many of my compatriots ARE racist - it hurts to admit, but it is a plain fact - sadly. If I lived near you, I'd gladly go with you to talk to the Manager and make it clear that was utterly unacceptable- but I live too far away, sorry. Hope you can get over this, get to know your neighbours and make some lasting friendships. If EF members still continue to misuse this thread to make you feel even worse, then I feel it should be locked.
Cyberbullying, mobbing, aggressiveness toward "neewbies", or toward anyone who doesn't think like the mainstream...are the norm in this forum...I've been called a prick, an asshat, and many other injuries in the past, just because I don't act and think like many ex-pats (immigrants) here, because I'm not overconfident and don't have all the answers to life in my pocket...like many pretend to have instead.
Now, after having lived in Germany, which I regard as a more civilized country than Switzerland (they don't host dirty money from all over the world, and pretend to be "cleaner" than the rest of the world), and where certain types of typical arrogant attitudes by rich English-speaking immigrants is less widespread...I realized there must be something wrong in Switzerland that makes so people behave so badly and so rude...animals are a lot better than some members of this forum.
Maybe the stress for the higher cost of living, for the absence of a public healthcare system, maybe the lack of strong labor laws for job security, I don't know....but this country seems to have a bad effect on many people who in the end project their frustrations and failures on others...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #145  
Old 17.05.2011, 20:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
Cyberbullying, mobbing, aggressiveness toward "neewbies", or toward anyone who doesn't think like the mainstream...are the norm in this forum... [snip]

.but this country seems to have a bad effect on many people who in the end project their frustrations and failures on others...
Some context...
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 17.05.2011, 21:18
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,176 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Hi Bassiq,

I'm afraid you'll get cretinous comments wherever you go in the world - as some of the responses on this thread will bear out.

Apologies for not having read all 7 pages of this thread, but has the Café in question been named? Sounds like a great place to go if you're in the mood for a punch-up.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 17.05.2011, 21:35
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,176 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Very funny.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 17.05.2011, 21:36
Swiss Cheesehead's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Swiss Cheesehead has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

The swiss have giant bladders
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 17.05.2011, 21:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Oh noooooo they have NOT.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 17.05.2011, 22:22
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
I'm truly shocked.

My wife walks out of tram 7 at Wollishofen and urgently needs to go to the bathroom.
The public bathrooms there costs 1 CHF, which is reasonable. However, at this time, she doesn't have 1CHF available.
So she walks in to Cafe Wollishofen and kindly explains the situation as asks if she could use their bathroom.
These 2 women working there starts to insult my wife saying that she is not well mannered, isn't brought up well and needs to be tought how to behave.
And then they go on about how Switzerland should stop letting foreigners in to their country. (My wife speaks fluent German, but with a slight accent)

Jeez, I'm shocked. What kind of xenophobia is that?


So if you are in for getting insulted please visit Cafe Wollishofen (unless you are a Swiss native of course)

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?
And why am I not surprised at all ? Because this Café already in the 1960ies was "Café Assugrin", filled with old women eating "Vermicelles" but having their "Café Crème" with Assugrin The official name then was "Café Rondo", but the rest apparently is the same.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #151  
Old 17.05.2011, 22:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
Whoever "Wollie" is, I hope he/she's good at comforting my crying wife.
No reason for crying but she of course should have gone to the Irish Shamrock just accross or a bit down the road the MEllow Bar.

Some of the Rondo regulars after my only 5 min visit (my schoolfriend had to hand something to his "Oma") described me as "de Tschingg". I truly loved them, but retaliated by spreading the word of "Café Assugrin"

Mum detested the place anyway since, on one visit, her Schaffhauserisch was described as "Schwäbisch". We took it with due humour !
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #152  
Old 17.05.2011, 23:01
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
I've been called ... an asshat,


Come on, that's funny.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #153  
Old 17.05.2011, 23:35
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 139
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
tititita has made some interesting contributions
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Welcome to you
Sorry that your wife had this bad experience
i run stores for many years and in the US as well
i can tell you we had so many lady s that ask to used our bathroom
and we did let them use it,a lot of them just came for that
but you do not know when they come in and we never been rude
to them even if we found more then once the toilette very dirty.
If i do not have change and need to go and even if i have change as if i
go and have a drink in a bar 30mn later i need to go again.
So in Zurich i go at the department store Globus,Jelmoli,Manor.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 18.05.2011, 00:13
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to you
Sorry that your wife had this bad experience
i run stores for many years and in the US as well
i can tell you we had so many lady s that ask to used our bathroom
and we did let them use it,a lot of them just came for that
but you do not know when they come in and we never been rude
to them even if we found more then once the toilette very dirty.
If i do not have change and need to go and even if i have change as if i
go and have a drink in a bar 30mn later i need to go again.
So in Zurich i go at the department store Globus,Jelmoli,Manor.
Her bad experience indeed is most regrettable. More regrettable even is to hear that certain places do not change. Sure, the Switzerland of the early 60ies was 10-times as xenophobic as the country is now, but I might have expected a tiny bit of progress in that particular place. But, some folks over the decades simply have replaced James Schwarzenbach with Christoph Blocher
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #155  
Old 18.05.2011, 09:50
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cafe Wollishofen, xenophobia

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone bought a class action against a teashop for using boiling water? Though I'd consider bring one against all the catering establishments here for not using boiling water.
You shouldn't use truly boiling water. It scorches the tea leaves.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cafe wollishofen, xenophobia




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat Cafe PeterDB Pet corner 51 05.06.2021 13:13
Philo Cafe graham Social events 0 25.06.2009 08:35
Does anyone know what this cafe is called? larrylizzard Daily life 2 06.12.2007 12:35
Xenophobia or Racism Arkin Complaints corner 6 25.03.2007 12:49
Xenophobia and Switzerland / the Swiss nickatbasel Complaints corner 18 20.11.2006 17:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0