Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:12
rfk rfk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: near Zuerich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
rfk has become a little unpopularrfk has become a little unpopular
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
have you??
Yes, I've learned how to shake an omelet pan while stirring the eggs until the curds are just set, this helps to make the perfect omelet.
  #222  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:14
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that some people have stronger objections to racism than others do, which is fine. But I wrote my earlier post, about my ex, because it is an example of why I have a very strong aversion to racism.
Painting your face black isn't racism



There...I said it....
  #223  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:14
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that some people have stronger objections to racism than others do, which is fine. But I wrote my earlier post, about my ex, because it is an example of why I have a very strong aversion to racism.
and how does your experience with "racism" implies racism on part of the girls?

How would that even remotely connect to cross burnings?
  #224  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:14
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,168
Groaned at 290 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 10,927 Times in 4,110 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Are you inviting me to a groaning match, Economisto?
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #225  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:14
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that some people have stronger objections to racism than others do, which is fine.
If you really aren't aware how condescending you're being then quite frankly I give up. You post like a feckless American débutante who protests against everything but struggles to settle down with a thick book. Adios*

*Not a caricature of a Mexican, just an innocent Spanish word.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #226  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:15
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post

*Not a caricature of a Mexican, just an innocent Spanish word.
I wanted to take offense....

No wait, I actually have a sense of humor.
The following 2 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:16
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
I wanted to take offense....

No wait, I actually have a sense of humor.
Could have fooled me!
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #228  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:17
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
Could have fooled me!
no challenge in fooling you.
  #229  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:18
rfk rfk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: near Zuerich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
rfk has become a little unpopularrfk has become a little unpopular
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
Painting your face black isn't racism



There...I said it....
I think it depends on the intent of the person /people doing it. In my opinion, in general it's in bad taste. Just like those Italian sauce commercials. If the shoe was on the other foot, how would the other group feel is what I ask myself. Btw do you call your multi-colored marble cake a Jesse Jackson Rainbow coalition cake?
  #230  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:21
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
I think it depends on the intent of the person /people doing it. In my opinion, in general it's in bad taste. Just like those Italian sauce commercials. If the shoe was on the other foot, how would the other group feel is what I ask myself. Btw do you call your multi-colored marble cake a Jesse Jackson Rainbow coalition cake?
The act on its own isn't racism. What you do after you've painting your face is another matter.
  #231  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:21
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,168
Groaned at 290 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 10,927 Times in 4,110 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
and how does your experience with "racism" implies racism on part of the girls?

How would that even remotely connect to cross burnings?
Again, I said that in response to someone's post in which I was accused of being an "undercover racist" -- to explain that that my anti-racist sentiments have to do with me dating a guy that had such awful experiences as a child growing up in such a racist environment, etc. It was not in direct reference to the girl's face-painting, and I think you'd understand that if you re-read above.
  #232  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:21
rfk rfk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: near Zuerich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
rfk has become a little unpopularrfk has become a little unpopular
Re: Kids in blackface

In this portrayal with black face, did they also have big red lips?
This user groans at rfk for this post:
  #233  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that some people have stronger objections to racism than others do, which is fine. But I wrote my earlier post, about my ex, because it is an example of why I have a very strong aversion to racism.
If this is in response to the thread I think you have it unfairly wrong. Just because some people don't share other's ideals of appropriate behaviour in respect of different races or cultures does not mean their objections to racism are any stronger or weaker than others.

It would be more accurate to say that some people under react, and some over react depending on their own cultures, ideals and experiences. Neither of which reactions are either right or wrong.

My only (personal) objection is from people who ram their own ideals, believing that the are the only correct ones, down my throat believing that they can transport them from their own culture and expect everyone to dance to their drum beat.

There are laws to protect race and culture in Switzerland and I know that nobody would be arrested for walking around with their face either browned out or whited out. They WOULD, however, find the weight of the law upon them for openly discriminating one race from another.
The following 8 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #234  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:24
rfk rfk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: near Zuerich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
rfk has become a little unpopularrfk has become a little unpopular
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
The act on its own isn't racism. What you do after you've painting your face is another matter.
But isn't the act just re-enforcing negative stereotypes?
  #235  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:26
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
But isn't the act just re-enforcing negative stereotypes?
No




This message is too short
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #236  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:26
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,168
Groaned at 290 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 10,927 Times in 4,110 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
If you really aren't aware how condescending you're being then quite frankly I give up. You post like a feckless American débutante who protests against everything but struggles to settle down with a thick book. Adios*

*Not a caricature of a Mexican, just an innocent Spanish word.
What does the fact that I'm American have to do with ANYTHING here? I'm not the one being condescending... In fact, I wasn't directly accusing anyone of anything, but I myself was 1) accused of being an "undercover racist" and 2) being repeatedly groaned at by YOU any time I voiced an opinion or tried to explain myself when asked to. Yet I don't think I've groaned at you once (can't remember). But, in fact, I purposefully refrained from groaning at you because I think the whole groaning thing is, for the most part, a sign that someone can't handle it when an opinion differs from theirs.
This user groans at Pancakes for this post:
  #237  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:27
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
But isn't the act just re-enforcing negative stereotypes?
Only if you feel being brown is a negative. Also, I don't even know that it's reinforcing stereotypes at all - you have to be from a particularly small village to get your best ideas of Africans from a school child playing dress-up.
  #238  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:30
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
What does the fact that I'm American have to do with ANYTHING here? I'm not the one being condescending... In fact, I wasn't directly accusing anyone of anything, but I myself was 1) accused of being an "undercover racist" and 2) being repeatedly groaned at by YOU any time I voiced an opinion or tried to explain myself when asked to. Yet I don't think I've groaned at you once (can't remember). But, in fact, I purposefully refrained from groaning at you because I think the whole groaning thing is, for the most part, a sign that someone can't handle it when an opinion differs from theirs.
Wow, I didn't even know you were American, I just said that's how you post. But thanks for confirming - I had a 1 in 251 chance of getting it right and bang: spot on. Your post called some of us racists that didn't much mind being racists - instead of people who don't believe that dark facepaint is equivalent to a lynch mob. I groaned you 3 times I think. Calling me a racist is what the button's there for.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #239  
Old 28.05.2011, 22:40
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,168
Groaned at 290 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 10,927 Times in 4,110 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
Wow, I didn't even know you were American, I just said that's how you post. But thanks for confirming - I had a 1 in 251 chance of getting it right and bang: spot on. Your post called some of us racists that didn't much mind being racists - instead of people who don't believe that dark facepaint is equivalent to a lynch mob. I groaned you 3 times I think. Calling me a racist is what the button's there for.
Ha ha... yes, I am guilty of being American. I'm actually a bit curious as to how or why that was so apparent? Funny...
But more than anything, I'm curious as to why or how exactly I have directly accused anyone of being racist here, in this thread? Seriously, please quote any posts in which you feel I've done that because that certainly was NEVER my intention.
  #240  
Old 28.05.2011, 23:08
rfk rfk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: near Zuerich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
rfk has become a little unpopularrfk has become a little unpopular
Re: Kids in blackface

Quote:
View Post
No
So portraying blacks with big red lips is not racist , and not a negative stereotype? I can see how you may think there is no problem of racism in Switzerland.
Would portraying Jews as having beady eyes and big crooked noses be racist in your book? I guess not according to your one word answers.
The following 2 users groan at rfk for this post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any kids or friend's kids in ISZN? braxton_ct Family matters/health 1 28.11.2011 11:41
How about your kids? nathalie7777 Daily life 15 03.10.2005 10:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0