Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:26
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
....and here I thought, that it was just another form of the complex British colloquialism and sophisticated humor .
Quote:
View Post
Was that on your word calendar today?


I just hate it when lovers argue in public. ( no homo )
The following 3 users would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:29
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

I am not trying to see any logic in Begga's post, but honestly, if you treat your Migros like some highschool, and stand up against somebody's behavior and expect others to support you, they don't, then you come here and say there is this mean girl in the class who is easter European, meanie meanie, and the clothes...I feel sympathy on one hand, on the other...don't sweat it. You will meet unpleasant people in life. Ignore them or laugh at them. If she does not say hi back, then either overdo the hi next time, and next time and next with the biggest grin, or, ignore.

Or, I could tell you some good, handy vocab to use, in Eastern European language of your choice

Or, ultimately, try to beat her in German, I mean French (ETA), excell, everybody wins.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein

Last edited by MusicChick; 31.05.2011 at 10:40.
The following 8 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:33
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

If she's laughing at you when you're saying something in the class, just stop what you're doing, turn to her and say: "What the f*** is your problem?". She'll soon shut up.
The following 7 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:34
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
I am not trying to see any logic in Begga's post, but honestly, if you treat your Migros like some highschool, and stand up against somebody's behavior and expect others to support you, they don't, then you come here and say there is this mean girl in the class who is easter European, meanie meanie, and the clothes...I feel sympathy on one hand, on the other...don't sweat it. You will meet unpleasant people in life. Ignore them or laugh at them. If she does not say hi back, then either overdo the hi next time, and next time and next with the biggest grin, or, ignore.

Or, I could tell you some good, handy vocab to use, in Eastern European language of your choice

Or, ultimately, try to beat her in German, excell, everybody wins.
I'm sure the other girl would be shocked at the OP trying to beat her in German whilst in a French class.

Shock and awe right?
  #25  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:35
The Alpine's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 13 Posts
The Alpine is considered knowledgeableThe Alpine is considered knowledgeableThe Alpine is considered knowledgeable
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
If she's laughing at you when you're saying something in the class, just stop what you're doing, turn to her and say: "What the f*** is your problem?". She'll soon shut up.

I guess that could go one of two ways in reality...
  #26  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:36
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
Shock and awe right?
Worked for the germans... twice.
  #27  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:39
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,558 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Can't quite figure out why someone would appear on EF seeking a communal therapy hug. We're a nasty bunch of hyenas ourselves looking for flesh and verbal brownie points. Aren't we?
The following 6 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
Can't quite figure out why someone would appear on EF seeking a communal therapy hug. We're a nasty bunch of hyenas ourselves looking for flesh and verbal brownie points. Aren't we?
Lesser or the two evils?
  #29  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:42
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
I am not trying to see any logic in Begga's post, but honestly, if you treat your Migros like some highschool, and stand up against somebody's behavior and expect others to support you, they don't, then you come here and say there is this mean girl in the class who is easter European, meanie meanie, and the clothes...I feel sympathy on one hand, on the other...don't sweat it. You will meet unpleasant people in life. Ignore them or laugh at them. If she does not say hi back, then either overdo the hi next time, and next time and next with the biggest grin, or, ignore.

Or, I could tell you some good, handy vocab to use, in Eastern European language of your choice

Or, ultimately, try to beat her in German, excell, everybody wins.
If you're asking me, the OP's issue is most likely a cultural one, not having understood her classmates. She is not a native English nor a French speaker...and judging by her syntax, she's neither a native German or Italian speaker..and therefore, I assume that she is a) not from a Western European country and b) isn't fluent in a language which her classmates are able to effectively communicate with her and thus more likely to having misunderstood them.
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:43
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
Can't quite figure out why someone would appear on EF seeking a communal therapy hug. We're a nasty bunch of hyenas ourselves looking for flesh and verbal brownie points. Aren't we?
no, actually I'm looking for actual brownies.


and brown sugar.





( this post is so far off topic it will be automatically deleted in 5...4...3...
This user would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:46
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post

( this post is so far off topic it will be automatically deleted in 5...4...3...
The following 3 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:46
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
If you're asking me, the OP's issue is most likely a cultural one, not having understood her classmates. She is not a native English nor a French speaker...and judging by her syntax, she's neither a native German or Italian speaker..and therefore, I assume that she is a) not from a Western European country and b) isn't fluent in a language which her classmates are able to effectively communicate with her and thus more likely to having misunderstood them.
Hence the need for her to have introduced herself at the same time. It would be good if she gave some feedback like one of those satisfaction surveys:- did you find the advice a) useful, b) worthless or c) downright blatterish.
The following 2 users would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:48
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
If you're asking me, -------- .

I have to agree with LiB ( weird eh? ) but also given the OP's apparently limited english she came here looking for support / advice and the hyena's have descended ( yes myself included ) and she has now run for the hills in abject terror.

my .02cents.
  #34  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:49
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
So which one is grynch ?
  #35  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:49
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
If you're asking me, the OP's issue is most likely a cultural one, not having understood her classmates. She is not a native English nor a French speaker...and judging by her syntax, she's neither a native German or Italian speaker..and therefore, I assume that she is a) not from a Western European country and b) isn't fluent in a language which her classmates are able to effectively communicate with her and thus more likely to having misunderstood them.
I totally think it is cultural. I have my suspition, but won't say it. native English could be, considering the young age, but that's not a point of this little harp/thread.

OP, stay away from the textspeak, I forgot to mention. Good luck with the sticky class, be zen and do post an intro.
  #36  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:50
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
Hence the need for her to have introduced herself at the same time. It would be good if she gave some feedback like one of those satisfaction surveys:- did you find the advice a) useful, b) worthless or c) downright blatterish.
Well, traditionally speaking, an advice on the EF is usually "d" (all of the above), as it tends to start out as "b" and "c"...but somewhere down the line, a kind soul provides a useful answer to a topic or issue and thus, automatically includes "a" as well.
  #37  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:50
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
So which one is grynch ?
the one with the glasses.
The following 2 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:52
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
the one with the glasses.
altho I would have preferred you said "the one with the cool glasses"


















This user would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:52
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
I just hate it when lovers argue in public. ( no homo )
We broke up a long time ago. Irreconcilable differences was the 'official' reason.
  #40  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:54
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I just can't ignore

Quote:
View Post
We broke up a long time ago. Irreconcilable differences was the 'official' reason.
LiB always wanted to be on top eh?

This user would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinions on Migros Klubschule Fondue Language corner 19 17.04.2018 19:01
Migros Klubschule - German Intensive chardie18 Complaints corner 16 22.10.2012 15:00
TOEFL course at Migros Klubschule Monty1 Business & entrepreneur 5 16.04.2010 20:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0