Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.08.2007, 08:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Oscar has annoyed a few people around hereOscar has annoyed a few people around here
Fish 'n' Chips [lack of]

what i wouldnt give for a decent local chippy instead of all these damn kebab shops everywhere.

fish n chips and mushy peas... i suppose i'll just have to dream on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.08.2007, 08:40
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,939
Groaned at 20 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 6,513 Times in 1,989 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Hi Oscar, it's getting to be that way in some parts of England now. The chippy is almost exotic, nestled sparingly between all the Chinese, Indian, pizza and kebab places.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.08.2007, 09:11
Crumbs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,825
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,277 Times in 683 Posts
Crumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Nordsee has a fish restaurant in Zurich main station (Hauptbahnhof) - admittedly not a genuine chippie, but perhaps enough of an alternative to kebabs ...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:01
Evolver's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 293
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 127 Times in 70 Posts
Evolver is considered knowledgeableEvolver is considered knowledgeableEvolver is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Why don't you open one? We would be more than happy to provide the mushy peas and the vinegar

Quote:
View Post
what i wouldnt give for a decent local chippy instead of all these damn kebab shops everywhere.

fish n chips and mushy peas... i suppose i'll just have to dream on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:03
Crumbs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,825
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,277 Times in 683 Posts
Crumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you open one? We would be more than happy to provide the mushy peas and the vinegar
Good idea - I'd come along!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Phillips has no particular reputation at present
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

The problem is a good Fish and Chips has to be fresh!! Frozen fish doesnt do it and that will be a problem in Zurich(landlocked). The fish need to be caught in the morning and then cooked for lunch. The best!!! Have you ever tried Fish Knuspery???
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:19
Caroline's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aroond these parts
Posts: 324
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 74 Times in 49 Posts
Caroline has earned some respectCaroline has earned some respect
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you open one? We would be more than happy to provide the mushy peas and the vinegar
Can I suggest you take the mobile (chippy van) option, that way more us in schweiz can have our chippy suppers
Its a sad fact that the rest of Europe's chip offerings do not compare well to the great british chippy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:29
DanB's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oerlikon, Zurich
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DanB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Hi Oscar, it's getting to be that way in some parts of England now. The chippy is almost exotic, nestled sparingly between all the Chinese, Indian, pizza and kebab places.
Totally. When I lived in London I lived opposite a place called "Kareem Fish, Kebab, Burger" and it did none of them well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:36
Worrelpa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nyon
Posts: 339
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 77 Posts
Worrelpa is considered knowledgeableWorrelpa is considered knowledgeableWorrelpa is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Anyone know any good places for Fish and Chips in Geneva/Vaud?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:39
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,569
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,172 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

I agree with Phillips on this one! Fresh not frozen!

I'm not from UK, but I love fish & chips with vinegar! and would give my third born child for some. No more kebabs!! They are vile...

Apparently there is a fish & chips van near Geneva on the French border. I hear it's not bad, but I could just be the nostalgia factor! At least it is run by a Brit. (if that helps!)

Last edited by miniMia; 30.08.2007 at 11:32.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:40
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,569
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,172 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Anyone know any good places for Fish and Chips in Geneva/Vaud?
There is a chippie van on the French border. You need to listen to WRG FM and you'll hear about it. Or maybe call them, they can tell you where they are.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:43
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,569
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,172 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Can I suggest you take the mobile (chippy van) option, that way more us in schweiz can have our chippy suppers
Its a sad fact that the rest of Europe's chip offerings do not compare well to the great british chippy.
Huh? I guess you've never been to a Belgian "frit kot"?? Yummy!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:48
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
what i wouldnt give for a decent local chippy instead of all these damn kebab shops everywhere.

fish n chips and mushy peas... i suppose i'll just have to dream on.
You'd think there's be a market wouldn't you?

What about the joke that is Nordsee's idea of British fish and chips - idiots .

One of the problems is you become desperate - you start to think the stuff offered by one or two "English" pubs is ok and it takes a trip back to blighty and some fresh cod and chips from a Grimsby chippy to bring you to your senses.

Hungry now ......
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30.08.2007, 10:50
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Nordsee has a fish restaurant in Zurich main station (Hauptbahnhof) - admittedly not a genuine chippie, but perhaps enough of an alternative to kebabs ...

Absolutely, bloody awful .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 30.08.2007, 11:14
Colonelboris's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 1,131
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,273 Times in 671 Posts
Blog Entries: 2
Colonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Shamefully, I have eaten Nordsee "fish and chips" twice since I got there. Mustbe the equivalent of going onto methadone after heroin addiction. You don't want it, it's not nearly as good, but it's all you've got...
Saying that, I did stuff myself with cod and chips on Tuesday when we went to Portsmouth. There's still chip grease leaking out of my pores, but I'm so much happier.
And KFC.
And Greggs.

Why am I coming back?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Colonelboris for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 30.08.2007, 11:38
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Must be the equivalent of going onto methadone after heroin addiction. You don't want it, it's not nearly as good, but it's all you've got...
More like a weak shandy after being on two bottles of vodka a day .

1. fresh water fish - no possibility of being anywhere close to cod, haddock, etc
2. batter - words fail me
3. chips - deep fried cardboard is probably closer to the real thing
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30.08.2007, 11:39
mark's Avatar
The Architect
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zollikon, Switzerland
Posts: 3,069
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 418 Times in 115 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Do the Brits on this thread who say that the fish has to be "fresh" and not frozen really believe that this is what they have been eating when they buy fish and chips in the UK?

Fresh might have meant fresh in the times of your childhood, but I'm afraid that the term "fresh" when it comes to fish in the UK generally means "fresh frozen", in other words it is frozen shortly after catching for the long transport back to port (often thousands of kilometers).

Even when you eat fish in a "fishing village" there's a very good chance that the fish you eat comes from the other side of the world. Even in the case where a local fishing village still sends out a couple of boats (assuming that they can still find fish to catch), this will never cope with the demand.

The fact that Switzerland is land locked makes no difference at all. If a fish is already frozen, what difference does it make to transport it a couple of more hours? There's a considerable delay before it actually reaches your plate anyway. In the case of Zurich - I understand that fish markets are done only twice a week, rather than daily (I could be wrong about that). Fish isn't delivered daily to supermarkets, so the new deliveries may stay out the back until the older stuff in the front is sold.

This might be disappointing, but it's a simple fact that the oceans, especially around populated places, are almost bare compared to 20-30 years ago. The Atlantic is all but devoid of cod (used to be a popular fish and chips fish), stocks are down to 20% of their former levels and in many places totally collapsed.

The good news is that if you live in a country where fisheries are managed properly, and illegal fishing is strongly patrolled, you might actually get the chance to go to the fish markets and get something that is really fresh. However, even in a famous fish market like Tokyo, the tuna all arrive frozen.
But look on the bright side Brits - there's no shortage of chips...
__________________
Help: How to get more from searches | How to use tags | Please do not PM me for help on permits, jobs or salaries
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mark for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 30.08.2007, 11:54
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,569
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,172 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fish 'n' Chips [lack of]

Thanks Mark for point that out.
In fact, I rarely eat fish now because of the over-fishing issue.
Even the perch from Lake Geneva actually now comes from Poland.
I was in Liguria recently & went to buy some of their salted anchovies. There were none. The fishmonger said it was the first time in her 30 years as a fishmonger that she didn't have any anchovies!

But we can dream of a lovely batch of fish & chips!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30.08.2007, 11:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 306
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 109 Posts
adrian76 is considered knowledgeableadrian76 is considered knowledgeableadrian76 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fish 'n' Chips [lack of]

My memories of fish 'n chips on the coast of the north of england are of the fish being so much softer and moister than you'd sometimes get at your local chippy.

Maybe its not fresh though - just less un-fresh. And perhaps they're just bloody good at frying fish.

I can remember doing an install in a shop in Cleethorpes once, and afterwards I asked the staff which chippy nearby was a good one, they replied 'all of them' - and I was not dissapointed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrian76 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 30.08.2007, 11:59
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Quote:
View Post
Do the Brits on this thread who say that the fish has to be "fresh" and not frozen really believe that this is what they have been eating when they buy fish and chips in the UK?

Fresh might have meant fresh in the times of your childhood, but I'm afraid that the term "fresh" when it comes to fish in the UK generally means "fresh frozen", in other words it is frozen shortly after catching for the long transport back to port (often thousands of kilometers).

Even when you eat fish in a "fishing village" there's a very good chance that the fish you eat comes from the other side of the world. Even in the case where a local fishing village still sends out a couple of boats (assuming that they can still find fish to catch), this will never cope with the demand.

The fact that Switzerland is land locked makes no difference at all. If a fish is already frozen, what difference does it make to transport it a couple of more hours? There's a considerable delay before it actually reaches your plate anyway. In the case of Zurich - I understand that fish markets are done only twice a week, rather than daily (I could be wrong about that). Fish isn't delivered daily to supermarkets, so the new deliveries may stay out the back until the older stuff in the front is sold.

This might be disappointing, but it's a simple fact that the oceans, especially around populated places, are almost bare compared to 20-30 years ago. The Atlantic is all but devoid of cod (used to be a popular fish and chips fish), stocks are down to 20% of their former levels and in many places totally collapsed.

The good news is that if you live in a country where fisheries are managed properly, and illegal fishing is strongly patrolled, you might actually get the chance to go to the fish markets and get something that is really fresh. However, even in a famous fish market like Tokyo, the tuna all arrive frozen.
But look on the bright side Brits - there's no shortage of chips...
Mark, obviously the stuff about fish stocks is well founded but on the fresh v frozen you're way out.

Fish sold as fresh in UK supermarkets cannot have been frozen - it can only be chilled. Therefore the availability of fresh fish is proven.

My local fish shop in the middle of the UK collected chilled fish from London every day. In Grimsby the Lincolnshire chippies collect it right from the boat.

Of course, there are many F&C shops that use cheap, frozen imported fish. They would only get my custom once - the difference in the product is obvious.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
fish chips, fish stock depletion, fresh fish, frozen fish, heart disease




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poker chips needed in Geneva v1r7ual Other/general 3 11.01.2008 17:41
potato chips with or without a sandwich? barryinc General off-topic 29 20.09.2007 16:12
Where to go for Fish and Chips in London? needcaffein General off-topic 7 12.03.2007 21:18
US Military Intelligence (or lack of it) cantarell International affairs/politics 1 11.03.2007 14:15
Winter Weather (or lack of it) Psyk Daily life 15 21.02.2007 21:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0