Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 27.06.2011, 00:14
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Sorry to go back to topic but I've noticed a few places here in Basel that the elevators simply have a call button rather than up and down, so you have no choice but to get on and go whichever direction the lift happens to be going.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 27.06.2011, 00:32
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Funny this thread should pop up. Since having my kid and finding myself having to use the lift I have been getting really hacked off at able bodied people using the tiny lifts in the shops here and happily letting me wait for the lift to come back as me and the 'shouldnt be out in publuc' buggy can't fit in. I get really annoyed and always think back to this thread thinking 'yeah! The OP did have a point'

Bring on the anti buggy brigade for the onslaught of 'how dare you go out with that evil buggy' blah blah blah
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 27.06.2011, 01:11
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Funny this thread should pop up. Since having my kid and finding myself having to use the lift I have been getting really hacked off at able bodied people using the tiny lifts in the shops here and happily letting me wait for the lift to come back as me and the 'shouldnt be out in publuc' buggy can't fit in. I get really annoyed and always think back to this thread thinking 'yeah! The OP did have a point'

Bring on the anti buggy brigade for the onslaught of 'how dare you go out with that evil buggy' blah blah blah
I don't have a problem with the buggies usually, I also don't usually take the lifts in stores (unless, as happened recently, I can't find the stairs - or I am with my m-i-l, who has bad knees) BUT some of those buggies are HUGE!! I mean, like, whoa huge! You could load em up with all your camping needs for a week type of huge! I wonder how anything besides the buggy fits in some lifts kind of huge!!

Whatever happened to all those nice slim strollers I used to see (and my folks used to have for my younger siblings)?

__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 27.06.2011, 01:38
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

You can't put a baby in those push chairs Peg so you start out with a buggy with bassinet and buggy seat attachment for when they're 6 months. These buggies do tend to be bigger due to the basinet for newborns. The buggy you highlight are more for 6/7 month plus when they can sit up unaided etc. This is my next purchase now he's 7 months purely for use about town. But guess what these slim light weight buggies STILL don't fit in many lifts when there's more than 2 people in them
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 27.06.2011, 02:14
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
You can't put a baby in those push chairs Peg so you start out with a buggy with bassinet and buggy seat attachment for when they're 6 months. These buggies do tend to be bigger due to the basinet for newborns. The buggy you highlight are more for 6/7 month plus when they can sit up unaided etc. This is my next purchase now he's 7 months purely for use about town. But guess what these slim light weight buggies STILL don't fit in many lifts when there's more than 2 people in them
I'd not realized the age restrictions / recommendations on the strollers vs buggy. I think my mother used a sling type something for my baby brother if we went out when he was tiny (and we just moved fresh to Okinawa when my sis was tiny, no car, no language skills, we didn't go anywhere). Good to know, in case it comes up. ♥

These lifts here ARE crazy small! Even taking weight into consideration, we have problems with knees and elbows (and other things ) if hubby, his mother and I all try to get on at the same time.

And the buttons... lol. You have to simply press "c'mere lift!" and not up or down...

Who are these engineers designing these things anyhow?
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 27.06.2011, 06:17
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Yea a sling is great for around town. Unfortunately he'd scream and scream in a it until he was big enough to face outwards. See always a valid reason why someone may need to take a larger buggy into town

Agree with you on the silly lifts tho
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 27.06.2011, 08:17
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Yea a sling is great for around town. Unfortunately he'd scream and scream in a it until he was big enough to face outwards. See always a valid reason why someone may need to take a larger buggy into town

Agree with you on the silly lifts tho
And the backache! Gosh! A few hours of carrying baby and Voilą! And it is not easy to do grocery with the sling if you have to band a lot. And it is impossible to try clothes. Sometimes, you don't have any other time during the week, nor someone to take care of baby when you need to do shopping.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 27.06.2011, 08:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Yea a sling is great for around town. Unfortunately he'd scream and scream in a it until he was big enough to face outwards. See always a valid reason why someone may need to take a larger buggy into town

Agree with you on the silly lifts tho
Ah, baby meltdown. The perfect time to go and get nestled into a crowded lift with a totally innocent expression on your face...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 27.06.2011, 08:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich Oberland
Posts: 523
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 470 Times in 239 Posts
woolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
And the backache! Gosh! A few hours of carrying baby and Voilą! And it is not easy to do grocery with the sling if you have to band a lot. And it is impossible to try clothes. Sometimes, you don't have any other time during the week, nor someone to take care of baby when you need to do shopping.
You can put terrible pressure on your pelvic floor carrying a heavy baby around and loading shopping on top. Especially in the early months after childbirth it can really hinder your recovery.

I have developed a thick skin and just push my buggy everywhere, being as considerate a possible but turning a blind eye to anyone it irritates. (just as they turn a blind eye to me when standing in the only area on the tram that I can put a buggy when the rest of the tram is half empty!)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank woolly for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 27.06.2011, 09:26
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
You can put terrible pressure on your pelvic floor carrying a heavy baby around and loading shopping on top. Especially in the early months after childbirth it can really hinder your recovery.

I have developed a thick skin and just push my buggy everywhere, being as considerate a possible but turning a blind eye to anyone it irritates. (just as they turn a blind eye to me when standing in the only area on the tram that I can put a buggy when the rest of the tram is half empty!)
Ha that's become a bug bear of mine too! Tram trains and buses. I can only stand in one area dont have the option of a nice seat yet people stand there without a consideration I can't go anywhere else. Buggies are part and parcel of life yet we are expected to be considerate when everyone else decides to not consider us

[/whinge over]
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 27.06.2011, 09:37
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Ha that's become a bug bear of mine too! Tram trains and buses. I can only stand in one area dont have the option of a nice seat yet people stand there without a consideration I can't go anywhere else. Buggies are part and parcel of life yet we are expected to be considerate when everyone else decides to not consider us

[/whinge over]
Doors open, see people in there, walk in, people move, smile to the people, people don't move, come in, push the buggy, hit them, Oups! Sorry!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:13
swisscheese1's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ZURICH
Posts: 34
Groaned at 44 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 12 Posts
swisscheese1 is considered unworthyswisscheese1 is considered unworthyswisscheese1 is considered unworthyswisscheese1 is considered unworthy
Re: Lift etiquette

Complaining foreigners need to understand that lifts in Switzerland are not for any particular group unless clearly stated. A single lady with no kids has as much right of using them as a mum with smelly and noisy kids.

I would happily make way for a hot skinny Swiss woman with 10kg shopping as opposed to mum with 10kg kid in a pram. Unless the people in the lift are related to the mum I don't see why they should care about your kid? Your lifestyle choices are of no relevance to them and they just want to get up and down in comfort just like you.

So foreigners remember that if a Swiss makes way for you then appreciate it like a good foreigner with your head bowed down. Think of it as a treat and not some automatic right. Foreigners know your place.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users groan at swisscheese1 for this post:
  #53  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:22
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post

I would happily make way for a hot skinny Swiss woman with 10kg shopping as opposed to mum with 10kg kid in a pram. Unless the people in the lift are related to the mum I don't see why they should care about your kid? Your lifestyle choices are of no relevance to them and they just want to get up and down in comfort just like you.
Is an escalator not comfort? if there is a choice of an escalator then why take a lift? Before having kids I'd never have dreamed of taking a lift when an escalator was available

And since when were kids smelly?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:26
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
So foreigners remember that if a Swiss makes way for you then appreciate it like a good foreigner with your head bowed down. Think of it as a treat and not some automatic right. Foreigners know your place.
Oh yeah I forgot you were a troll
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:33
persapap's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 55
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 26 Posts
persapap has earned some respectpersapap has earned some respect
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Complaining foreigners need to understand that lifts in Switzerland are not for any particular group unless clearly stated. A single lady with no kids has as much right of using them as a mum with smelly and noisy kids.

I would happily make way for a hot skinny Swiss woman with 10kg shopping as opposed to mum with 10kg kid in a pram. Unless the people in the lift are related to the mum I don't see why they should care about your kid? Your lifestyle choices are of no relevance to them and they just want to get up and down in comfort just like you.

So foreigners remember that if a Swiss makes way for you then appreciate it like a good foreigner with your head bowed down. Think of it as a treat and not some automatic right. Foreigners know your place.
Thank God not all Swiss are like you!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank persapap for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:37
swisscheese1's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ZURICH
Posts: 34
Groaned at 44 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 12 Posts
swisscheese1 is considered unworthyswisscheese1 is considered unworthyswisscheese1 is considered unworthyswisscheese1 is considered unworthy
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Is an escalator not comfort? if there is a choice of an escalator then why take a lift? Before having kids I'd never have dreamed of taking a lift when an escalator was available
Why don't you take the escalator then?
Not everyone has same dreams. I use both modes regularly. Choice is good isn't it?

Quote:
And since when were kids smelly?
Parents would never notice the poop or strong talcum powder smell of their kid so no point in me answering that one.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at swisscheese1 for this post:
  #57  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:38
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Is an escalator not comfort? if there is a choice of an escalator then why take a lift? Before having kids I'd never have dreamed of taking a lift when an escalator was available

And since when were kids smelly?
Quote:
View Post
Oh yeah I forgot you were a troll
Exact!

Do not feed the troll!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:45
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you take the escalator then?
Not everyone has same dreams. I use both modes regularly. Choice is good isn't it?
There's normally a big sign with a picture of a buggy with a red line through it as you get on an escalator

I am sure we'd be even worse foreigners if we didn't abide by the rules

Quote:
View Post
Parents would never notice the poop or strong talcum powder smell of their kid so no point in me answering that one.
I can't say I have ever smelt someones kid or baby when out and about even when I was allergic to babies and kids. Maybe you shouldn't get into confined lifts with them
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:49
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
There's normally a big sign with a picture of a buggy with a red line through it as you get on an escalator

I am sure we'd be even worse foreigners if we didn't abide by the rules
Honey, that swiss cheese (the stinky cheese kind) is just looking for attention. You know like the toddler who screams pee pee, caca, penis very loud to get attention?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:53
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,773
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,173 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lift etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Parents would never notice the poop or strong talcum powder smell of their kid so no point in me answering that one.
Really? I notice immediately if my bundle of perfection has a poo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mimi1981 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sinus Lift J.L-P Family matters/health 13 06.02.2011 23:19
In need of a lift to the UK(!!) sarahmills Travel/day trips/free time 6 20.04.2010 10:13
Basel to UK...does anyone need a lift? Bod Travel/day trips/free time 0 26.03.2009 10:27
Schindlers Lift ? Guest Swiss politics/news 5 24.02.2007 16:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0