Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06.07.2011, 08:28
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,034
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,191 Times in 9,417 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

If they don't actually have any power, then surely the title of this thread is incorrect. It should read:

Mobilis Cops Mad with deluded perception of their Own Power

AIUI, at least in Basel, if you haven't a ticket, and don't have ID, then they can legally detain you until the police arrive. Probably because they've caught you in the act.

If you get stopped, always show your id, and ask for the bill to be sent to your home. Don't know what they do with non-residents though - on the spot fine, I suppose. The thing is, if you stand on your rights and call the police, you might find them less than sympathetic, and the police really do have powers to make your life uncomfortable for a while.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06.07.2011, 08:36
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
I like PaddyG. He gets his joke ready and patiently waits in the queue.
Hey, if I have a joke, I don't bother to read all the shite in between to get it in.






Bastard
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:19
whitepard's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
whitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

You will find these kind of people everywhere, not just in Switzerland. I have some experience myself in my home country and in the USA too. These are frustrated people that hate their job and feel like that for this reason they have to make life miserable to anyone they can, so they can feel better about themself. We are the immigrant and for this reason we are in a vulnerable position. we are considered by these people as an easy target. I wonder if she would have done the same thing to a french-swiss person?????
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
If they don't actually have any power, then surely the title of this thread is incorrect. It should read:

Mobilis Cops Mad with deluded perception of their Own Power

AIUI, at least in Basel, if you haven't a ticket, and don't have ID, then they can legally detain you until the police arrive. Probably because they've caught you in the act.

If you get stopped, always show your id, and ask for the bill to be sent to your home.

but then the "fine" is 100chf and not 80chf
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:48
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
You will find these kind of people everywhere, not just in Switzerland. I have some experience myself in my home country and in the USA too. These are frustrated people that hate their job and feel like that for this reason they have to make life miserable to anyone they can, so they can feel better about themself. We are the immigrant and for this reason we are in a vulnerable position. we are considered by these people as an easy target. I wonder if she would have done the same thing to a french-swiss person?????
In the UK we call them "jobsworths", to be found, mostly, working for airport security.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:51
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
In the UK we call them "jobsworths", to be found, mostly, working for airport security.
and traffic enforcement officers (traffic wardens)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:52
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

My suggestion is that when confronted with this kind of verbal aggression, take out your mobile phone and ask her to repeat everything whilst you are filming her.
a) you can use this at a later date if you wish to challenge her and
b) it will at the very least cause her to speak more reasonably

c)if it gets rough you can always hit her with the phone

Last edited by grumpygit; 06.07.2011 at 09:55. Reason: reflection
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:54
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Remember the guy a while back who was pepper-sprayed by the RBS (I think) ticket collectors? Does anyone know what the outcome was?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
In the UK we call them "jobsworths", to be found, mostly, working for airport security.
Ironically, airport security here are mostly quite reasonable. Probably some sort of role reversal going on.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:18
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,352
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,674 Times in 8,568 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
So I needed to buy a ticket for the metro in Lausanne at a local university to go three or four stops away (depending on how you count). I wasn't sure if I should buy the percours courte (sp?) ticket or the ticket for the entire zone. The previous was 1,90 and the following was three francs.
- Can you explain me how it depends on how you count?
- Are you seriously telling us that you did not know that you tried to go one stop too far on a short trip ticket?

Honestly: You tried it, they caught you. You did not have a valid ticket and with the knowledge you have shown in your post do I have a hard time to believe that you "forgot" anything - you were fully aware that the trip was one stop too far for the cheap ticket and you gave it a try. What on earth do you expect to get by filing a complain? "I did not have coins that fit the ticket machine" is the lamest excuse ever.

On the "just walk away" comments: When a guy in Basel tried that, he got pepper sprayed. http://www.20min.ch/news/basel/story/29104510

This must be the fourth thread on this topic lately. I just don't get my head around it, it is so simple:
- Buy a ticket and you will not get fined
- If you do make a "stupid" mistake - for example buying the wrong night ticket - do they more often than not treat you fairly and not fine you
- if you don't have a reasonable excuse, you get a fine (unless you are a woman with a baby and you can cry really convincing...)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:19
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
Ironically, airport security here are mostly quite reasonable. Probably some sort of role reversal going on.
Have to agree with you there, I dread going through Gatwick or Heathrow, but Geneva and Zürich are a doddle.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:22
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

I got frisked by a woman(security officer) in the Baltics.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:23
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
- Can you explain me how it depends on how you count?
- Are you seriously telling us that you did not know that you tried to go one stop too far on a short trip ticket?

Honestly: You tried it, they caught you. You did not have a valid ticket and with the knowledge you have shown in your post do I have a hard time to believe that you "forgot" anything - you were fully aware that the trip was one stop too far for the cheap ticket and you gave it a try. What on earth do you expect to get by filing a complain? "I did not have coins that fit the ticket machine" is the lamest excuse ever.

On the "just walk away" comments: When a guy in Basel tried that, he got pepper sprayed. http://www.20min.ch/news/basel/story/29104510

This must be the fourth thread on this topic lately. I just don't get my head around it, it is so simple:
- Buy a ticket and you will not get fined
- If you do make a "stupid" mistake - for example buying the wrong night ticket - do they more often than not treat you fairly and not fine you
- if you don't have a reasonable excuse, you get a fine (unless you are a woman with a baby and you can cry really convincing...)
Trev, I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the OP, accidentally or otherwise, bought the incorrect ticket and was caught. I think his main gripe is the attitude of the Mobilis staff; angry, shouting, escorting to the ATM etc. I've been caught without a bike ticket on the S Bahn (I couldn't work out how to buy a bike ticket, machines are not exactly intuitive), the guy was polite and apologetic, but still handed out the fine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:26
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,352
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,674 Times in 8,568 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
Trev, I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the OP, accidentally or otherwise, bought the incorrect ticket and was caught. I think his main gripe is the attitude of the Mobilis staff; angry, shouting, escorting to the ATM etc. I've been caught without a bike ticket on the S Bahn (I couldn't work out how to buy a bike ticket, machines are not exactly intuitive), the guy was polite and apologetic, but still handed out the fine.
I have been on trains for years here and to be absolutely honest: Train controllers are pretty simple people. I have seen them catch people without tickets many times and it was always the same: If the person checked behaved calm and friendly they did too. As soon as the controlled person got loud or started to gesture around, they played though guy...

So honest question to the OP: how did you behave when you got checked?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:32
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

got to agree with treverus, the op knew the ticket was wrong, the excuse about the 5chf doesn't really hold water, on top of that I can't remember the last time I saw a machine that didn't take a card for payment, and as the op clearly had an atm card then why didn't they use that? or are the machines different down there??
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:40
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,034
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,191 Times in 9,417 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
but then the "fine" is 100chf and not 80chf
Well, when I forgot to stamp my mehrfahrtkarte, I approached the inspector, and they gave me an 80CHF fine and an einzahlungschein. I did offer cash though.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:41
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
Well, when I forgot to stamp my mehrfahrtkarte, I approached the inspector, and they gave me an 80CHF fine and an einzahlungschein. I did offer cash though.
Got let off the hook twice like that.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:45
whitepard's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
whitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
got to agree with treverus, the op knew the ticket was wrong, the excuse about the 5chf doesn't really hold water, on top of that I can't remember the last time I saw a machine that didn't take a card for payment, and as the op clearly had an atm card then why didn't they use that? or are the machines different down there??
In Basel not all the machines take the card. Most of them do, but I've seen some that takes only coins and abo. That said, i pay often with CHF 5.- and i'm surprised that you could not Tearly, maybe a problem with the machine itself? In any case, as much as you can be at fault, she had no right to be rude and treat you like a criminal.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:53
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
I have been on trains for years here and to be absolutely honest: Train controllers are pretty simple people. I have seen them catch people without tickets many times and it was always the same: If the person checked behaved calm and friendly they did too. As soon as the controlled person got loud or started to gesture around, they played though guy...

So honest question to the OP: how did you behave when you got checked?
As I said in the original post, I remained polite the entire time. The louder and more aggressive the train cop got, the quieter and more polite I became. I am a young American woman, threatening to no one.

I have been here for two weeks. If I (now) know anything about how the train system works, it is as a result of this stupid story. While, you may think this is a stupid point, the machine where I purchased the ticket only takes one or two franc coins--none of the little ones or the big ones. This creates a stupid situation where you have to walk 1/2 mile back to the nearest place to get change. Also, the machine does not say how many stops constitute the "short trip ticket"--that was my point, sorry if it sounded confusing in my post (I also still don't understand if you are supposed to count the origin stop in your count).

And maybe no one would have cared about my reasons to contest the ticket. However, I was denied my right to contest it by the rudeness and aggression of the train cops. Also, I was given the "foreigner" ticket pricing of 100 francs (versus 80 for locals, apparently) despite being a resident here and producing my document--my mistake was starting by showing my passport, I guess. Also, it is not okay that they bullied me into paying on the spot--probably because as a young woman by myself I looked like easy pickings.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:56
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobilis Cops Mad with Own Power

Quote:
View Post
And maybe no one would have cared about my reasons to contest the ticket. However, I was denied my right to contest it by the rudeness and aggression of the train cops. Also, I was given the "foreigner" ticket pricing of 100 francs (versus 80 for locals, apparently) despite being a resident here and producing my document--my mistake was starting by showing my passport, I guess. Also, it is not okay that they bullied me into paying on the spot--probably because as a young woman by myself I looked like easy pickings.

I recon it was more that they thought you where a tourist so wanted to make sure it got paid, if you showed them your residency permit things would have been different
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss man decides not to be eaten, tells cops Mud International affairs/politics 3 13.05.2011 17:01
Zürich Hash House Harriers Run 558: Cops and Runners Puzzler Social events 0 15.08.2010 10:18
Swiss cops are the bad guys ?!? BUGFROMHELL Daily life 180 18.06.2010 15:37
Greek Riots 2008 - Agent Provocateur Cops Caught Red Handed jrspet International affairs/politics 3 05.01.2009 22:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0