Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 14.07.2011, 13:36
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,347
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,665 Times in 8,564 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
I am not a racist - I have lived here for almost 40 years.
I don't get that part of the argument.
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #202  
Old 14.07.2011, 13:40
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
I don't get that part of the argument.
People over 40 aren't and can't be racist. DUH!
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #203  
Old 14.07.2011, 13:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps this thread should be closed. It is getting out of hand, i did not want to upset anyone. I was just pointing out the facts of what happens during the Fetes de GenŤve, every year.

This does not mean that thousands of families, couples, tourists do not flock to Geneva for the FÍtes. And enjoy them. The fireworks are awesome.

I am not a racist - I have lived here for almost 40 years, attended an International School, have friends of all religions and colour of skin.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments - which have be found to be true, when confirmed by others.

I don't understand why you are apologising? You wrote about an actual event that happened to you, so why does that make you a racist? I don't think anyone has even accusued you of being a racist.

It's a sorry state when one can't report actual incidents without fear of being branded a racist. The only reason the thread should be closed is because its run its course, but not because the discussion is getting out of hand.
This user groans at for this post:
  #204  
Old 14.07.2011, 14:28
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

I want to ululate like this, I am sure that it would freak most people out if it came from a caucasian woman, I would love to see their reactions. i will try the next time a guy tries it on- but I'll probably have to wait a long time!

This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #205  
Old 14.07.2011, 14:42
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Great so in this case, if this is acceptable, tell me why this isn't?



Hmm...well, if what the person is saying is true, then I believe it should be acceptable. If it is true, then it is a criticism of a fact. If it really was true that only foreigners commit crimes in Switzerland, then the person has a right to complain about these foreigners! Or about the foreign tourists who pinch the legs of women, and so on.
  #206  
Old 14.07.2011, 15:21
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Great so in this case, if this is acceptable, tell me why this isn't?

Quote:
View Post
But you're not really comparing like with like are you? Just because one guy comes up with a bigotted post does that mean the rest of us are prohibited from having a sensible discussion on the this topic?

I don't know the crime figures for Switzerland so he may have a point. In the end, I don't find such posts particually offensive. Ignorant perhaps, but not offensive.

There are plenty more unacceptable posts that could be written but I don't think this is one of them. Thankfully such posts are few and far between on the the EF.

Puleeeez!

This is just hypocritical. It is fashionable to hate the middle easterns, it is fashionable to hate the muslim and everyone claim the right to call them names in the name of freedom of speech and God forbid to been called racist, judgemental and yada yada for it.

So easy to call them names and pretend a fake offence on your Saint freedom of speech!

''You see? No matter what we say about them, they get upset and we should all be PC toward them, bla bla bla!''

Hypocrits!

Try this about black people if you are game and let's see how people will react.... But muslims? Middle Easterns? Pffff!

Fashionable, I am telling you!
The following 3 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Nil for this post:
  #207  
Old 14.07.2011, 15:40
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Puleeeez!

This is just hypocritical. It is fashionable to hate the middle easterns, it is fashionable to hate the muslim and everyone claim the right to call them names in the name of freedom of speech and God forbid to been called racist, judgemental and yada yada for it.

So easy to call them names and pretend a fake offence on your Saint freedom of speech!

''You see? No matter what we say about them, they get upset and we should all be PC toward them, bla bla bla!''

Hypocrits!

Try this about black people if you are game and let's see how people will react.... But muslims? Middle Easterns? Pffff!

Fashionable, I am telling you!

But this is a legitimate complaint on the OP's part, no? (And I don't think anybody on this thread said they ''hate the middle easterners'').

Do you really believe this thread is racist, just because the tourists' behaviour she complained about happen to be middle eastern ?
The following 3 users would like to thank Pants-Face for this useful post:
  #208  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:12
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
But this is a legitimate complaint on the OP's part, no? (And I don't think anybody on this thread said they ''hate the middle easterners'').

Do you really believe this thread is racist, just because the tourists' behaviour she complained about happen to be middle eastern ?
No it's the back-up- allegations about Arabs, or maybe it's Middle-Easterners then no it's really the Saudis, when most on this thread don't even know the cultural differences or who they are trying to identify. It's the Bogeyman-The dirty terrorist Muslims who have taken the place of the dirty, money grabbing Jews!
A prime example of this is Geert Wilders ( who has received a lot of support on this forum). Geert Wilders is the protege of Frederik "Frits" Bolkestein

Quote:
Bolkestein is quoted as having said that practicing Jews had no future in the Netherlands, and should emigrate to the US or Israel. Bolkestein's remarks, after having been published in a Dutch newspaper,[10] raised a storm of criticism in December 2010. According to Ronny Naftaniel, head of the Jewish organisation CIDI, this was not the first time Bolkestein has expressed this view.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frits_Bolkestein

So Wilders takes over from Bolkestien, and the Muslims (Arabs) as opposed to the Bolkestien's Jews are the new whipping boy .

But what is with the pinching of legs? I have been molested in many places, I once even had Swiss women pulling at my hair in Paddy O'Briens in Winterthur because they thought it wasn't real, (they thought they had every right to do that to a foreigner) but never had anyone pinch my legs.
  #209  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Puleeeez!

This is just hypocritical. It is fashionable to hate the middle easterns, it is fashionable to hate the muslim and everyone claim the right to call them names in the name of freedom of speech and God forbid to been called racist, judgemental and yada yada for it.

So easy to call them names and pretend a fake offence on your Saint freedom of speech!

''You see? No matter what we say about them, they get upset and we should all be PC toward them, bla bla bla!''

Hypocrits!

Try this about black people if you are game and let's see how people will react.... But muslims? Middle Easterns? Pffff!

Fashionable, I am telling you!
Quote:
View Post
But this is a legitimate complaint on the OP's part, no? (And I don't think anybody on this thread said they ''hate the middle easterners'').

Do you really believe this thread is racist, just because the tourists' behaviour she complained about happen to be middle eastern ?

I think Nil must just have her own agenda. She even threw muslims into the mix even though up until now nobody had said this was anything to do with muslims.

The fact is a number of people have report similar unacceptable behaviour from tourists from the Middle East. It's not as if people have made it up. But no, we can't discuss it because they're from the Middle East. How absurd is that? How about we all put our head in the sand and pretend it's all in our imagination.

Last edited by Loz1983; 14.07.2011 at 16:27.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #210  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:23
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
I think Nell must just have her own agenda. She even threw muslims into the mix even though up until now nobody had said this was anything to do with muslims.

The fact is a number of people have report similar unacceptable behaviour from tourists from the Middle East. It's not as if people have made it up. But no, we can't discuss it because they're from the Middle East. How absurd is that? How about we all put our head in the sand and pretend it's all in our imagination.
Who's Nell?
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #211  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Who's Nell?
Sorted that!
  #212  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:30
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Theres nothing wrong with demonising Arabs and Middle Easterners, they are worst of human kind, a semi-evolved specie. They still havent crossed the barrier that differentiates humans from apes. Its just part of evolutionary process.

But human kind, like always, will improve and progress towards the better. Just like many centuries ago, North America was inhibited by red/dark complexioned, half bare savages and look at it now. They have all evolved into nicely dressed, light skinned superior race. Same will happen in Middle East and Africa, but it takes time.

Last edited by Wasted; 14.07.2011 at 16:40.
  #213  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Theres nothing wrong with demonising Arabs and Middle Easterners, they are worst of human kind, a semi-evolved species. They still havent crossed the barrier that differentiates humans from apes. Its just part of evolutionary process.

But human kind, like always, will improve and progress towards the better. Just like many centuries ago, North America was inhibited by red/dark complexioned, half bare savages and look at it no. They have all evolved into nicely dressed, light skinned superior race. Same will happen in Middle East and Africa, but it takes time.
Jesus christ.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #214  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:39
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Jesus christ.
I should work as a Pastor. I make people remember the Lord.
The following 5 users would like to thank Wasted for this useful post:
  #215  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:50
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
they are worst of human kind, a semi-evolved species. They still havent crossed the barrier that differentiates humans from apes. Its just part of evolutionary process.
Why does that description just so turn me on? My husband is so hairy and I often accuse him of doing the ' Gorilla act' when others try to cut him up in traffic, but I've always been drawn to intelligent Gorilla looking men. He is so hairy, that when he asked for a haircut I said lie down outside I'll get the lawnmower out. Actually I refused because I just love combing his hair with my fingers! Also I love when he doesn't take any sh!t from other people. Travelling back from Houston on business this week, he had a Christian on the plane who immediately asked if he was an A-rab or a Muslim. After finding out that my husband was an atheist, he argued religion. My husband told the guy, if he forced his beliefs down his throat (as this Christian guy) was doing he would be considered rude. Now that guy to me was semi-evolved but people have different concepts of the evolutionary process. So if my husband is considered semi- evolved, Yup, he's my type of Silverback.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #216  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:53
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Why does that description just so turn me on? My husband is so hairy and I often accuse him of doing the ' Gorilla act' when others try to cut him up in traffic, but I've always been drawn to intelligent Gorilla looking men. He is so hairy, that when he asked for a haircut I said lie down outside I'll get the lawnmower out. Actually I refused because I just love combing his hair with my fingers! Also I love when he doesn't take any sh!t from other people. Travelling back from Houston on business this week, he had a Christian on the plane who immediately asked if he was an A-rab or a Muslim. After finding out that my husband was an atheist, he argued religion. My husband told the guy, if he forced his beliefs down his throat (as this Christian guy) was doing he would be considered rude. Now that guy to me was semi-evolved but people have different concepts of the evolutionary process. So if my husband is considered semi- evolved, Yup, he's my type of Silverback.


...I'm....happy for you ?




The following 3 users would like to thank Pants-Face for this useful post:
  #217  
Old 14.07.2011, 16:58
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Why does that description just so turn me on? My husband is so hairy and I often accuse him of doing the ' Gorilla act' when others try to cut him up in traffic, but I've always been drawn to intelligent Gorilla looking men. He is so hairy, that when he asked for a haircut I said lie down outside I'll get the lawnmower out. Actually I refused because I just love combing his hair with my fingers! Also I love when he doesn't take any sh!t from other people. Travelling back from Houston on business this week, he had a Christian on the plane who immediately asked if he was an A-rab or a Muslim. After finding out that my husband was an atheist, he argued religion. My husband told the guy, if he forced his beliefs down his throat (as this Christian guy) was doing he would be considered rude. Now that guy to me was semi-evolved but people have different concepts of the evolutionary process. So if my husband is considered semi- evolved, Yup, he's my type of Silverback.
Silverback?!!

Your post is so wrong on so many levels. You could have made it much simpler by marrying a Human. But then, you sound like a Cat yourself who loves to haev a furball.

P.S. I like your fantasies, but we're talking Politics.
  #218  
Old 14.07.2011, 17:20
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

i am amusedly surprised how this discussion turned. it seems all you gotta do is make somebody talk (or post) for a few minutes and you see whats inside them

stereotypes are there for a reason, but you should know, there are many stereotypes about europeans/westerners too...and, some such stereotypes may be feeding the behavior of tourists here....should i start with a few of those?
  #219  
Old 14.07.2011, 17:22
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
I said Arabs, not Muslims, on purpose - I never had the same feeling with for example Indonesian or Malaysian.
Certainly more submissive cultures - they seem to get along particularly well with Germans who I've noticed tend toward nervous breakdown if their routine is disordered.

Quote:
View Post
I can honestly not call it racism if somebody critizises the culture for its latent sexism or general aggressiveness.
Neither can I. There's nothing wrong with the OP or the general theme of this thread. Porsch called it "subtle racism" though and he's crazy. There's nothing subtle about it. Racists love a thread like this. The facts and the terms have already been defined by the OP and now their job is easy: correlation has been established and it's a short jump from correlation to cause. Perhaps people won't notice. And they normally don't. My ass got pinched by a guy. He was middle eastern (brown/terrorist) and so was the guy who pinched it last week. Middle eastern people pinch asses and blow themselves up. Damn, how did that get in there? Oh well, let's discuss that too. It's always those dirty Arabs middle eastern people.

Quote:
View Post
That Saudis do not believe in gender equality is not some unfair generalization or discrimination... it's simply a fact. That rich Gulf Arabs love to show off their money and apparently believe they can buy anything with it is very well documented in countless of court cases from traffic violations to sexual harrassment - btw not only in Geneva but anywhere from Paris to London.
Saudis do not believe in gender equality. Rich (people) love to show off their money (ok so Germans debadge their Porsche Turbos, Emirati don't). Therefore Saudis pinch asses. No. Most Saudis live in the desert and don't chill out on the shores of Lac Leman. You're talking about unfathomably rich playboys. Please: show me a collection of white (because that's what we're talking about here) unfathomably rich playboys who I can look up to. How about Berlusconi? Lord help him if he had a deeper tan.


So why do Muslims get such stick? Well theirs is the world's only real religion now. Non monotheistic religions are too nebulous to "do" anything. Judaism is ridiculously small so it's easy to conduct effective PR, keep their house in order generally, and stay under the radar as much as possible. Also, loads of them (proportionately) have professional education and jobs in New York State - not a class of people prone to commit (visible) crimes.

Christians are a big religion. But not really. Pray once a week do you? I pray 5 times a day. Obviously religion is far more relevant to my daily life than it is to yours. Also, even Catholicism has been moderated by hundreds of years of European Enlightenment and Liberal Democracy. So really it's just the Muslims then. And look where they are. In the desert, with loads of oil. Even Russia which has an incredibly long history and strong national identity falls prey to 90% poverty, 10% unfathomable wealth. This creates crime. In and of itself. Poverty, and especially poverty alongside wealth, creates crime. It's why America has high gun crime and Canada doesn't. It's why super faithful people in the Peninsular blow themselves up but super faithful people in the Vatican don't. Is it because Catholicism is a religion of peace and flowers? Not really no, it's because most Catholics live in places with less abject poverty. But clearly, this explanation is way less satisfying that blaming everything on brown people.
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #220  
Old 14.07.2011, 17:24
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Our Middle Eastern Guests in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
i am amusedly surprised how this discussion turned. it seems all you gotta do is make somebody talk (or post) for a few minutes and you see whats inside them

stereotypes are there for a reason, but you should know, there are many stereotypes about europeans/westerners too...and, some such stereotypes may be feeding the behavior of tourists here....should i start with a few of those?
Good point! Only if the airport security staff had known that, would have saved all that money spent on body scanners.

I get a feeling, you are not a Westerner. There are no stereotypes about Europeans and Westerners, just some fabricated stories adn rumours.
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Middle School Vaud, Geneva Caligal Family matters/health 9 01.03.2012 13:59
Our middle eastern guests in Geneva grumpygit Complaints corner 33 06.07.2011 16:39
middle age / middle of europe/ middle of autumn starshine Daily life 6 14.10.2010 14:24
Middle Eastern Spice Mix Baharat, Dried Cod Fish, and Kale, in Zurich?? louloubel Food and drink 9 15.06.2010 11:56
Where do your guests sleep? swisskat Other/general 21 28.05.2009 17:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0