Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.07.2011, 17:22
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Swiss efficiency (permits)

If there's one thing I'd like to see, it's the permit office sending you a complete set of instructions about what they want when it's time to renew your permit. The morons here send you the form saying oh we need A and B and this form and then you mail it in and they mail it back saying 'We're sorry your application is incomplete because you did not send us C, D, and E'
Well, bugger me you idiots, if you had mentioned them I'd have sent them!
I suppose the Swiss would blame me for doing something that should be 'obvious if you weren't a foreigner' but this seems a lot like either (a) a bureaucracy using old forms with old instructions rather than print new ones and/or (b) creating work for both the people in the permit office (which otherwise wouldn't be needed) AND the post office! Yay. Time to go make pizza....
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 22.07.2011, 17:30
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
If there's one thing I'd like to see, it's the permit office sending you a complete set of instructions about what they want when it's time to renew your permit. The morons here send you the form saying oh we need A and B and this form and then you mail it in and they mail it back saying 'We're sorry your application is incomplete because you did not send us C, D, and E'
Well, bugger me you idiots, if you had mentioned them I'd have sent them!
I suppose the Swiss would blame me for doing something that should be 'obvious if you weren't a foreigner' but this seems a lot like either (a) a bureaucracy using old forms with old instructions rather than print new ones and/or (b) creating work for both the people in the permit office (which otherwise wouldn't be needed) AND the post office! Yay. Time to go make pizza....
Chill out, i spent 1 year doing this with them.....this is how Swiss operate, pure mayhem in everything they do
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.07.2011, 17:41
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
Chill out, i spent 1 year doing this with them.....this is how Swiss operate, pure mayhem in everything they do
On the giving end or the receiving end?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.07.2011, 17:41
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,146
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 798 Times in 335 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
Chill out, i spent 1 year doing this with them.....this is how Swiss operate, pure mayhem in everything they do
Except the bills, they arrive quickly with much more than you anticipate, they never fail to show.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank magic for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.07.2011, 21:44
jmf's Avatar
jmf jmf is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cham, ZG
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 887 Times in 444 Posts
jmf has a reputation beyond reputejmf has a reputation beyond reputejmf has a reputation beyond reputejmf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

You can always write (email) to the migrationsamt. They take a few days to respond, but I got a very clear answer about what I had to do. Same from STVA (form attached and even instructions how to fill the form!).

Now the efficiency of the gemeindehaus people is another topic altogether
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.07.2011, 21:57
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 358
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

[QUOTE=or (b) creating work for both the people in the permit office (which otherwise wouldn't be needed) [/QUOTE]

I'd go with that version...
Had to go to the Gemeindehaus a few years ago, where a friend of mine worked. As I passed his office, he was sitting in front of a turned off computer and one piece of paper he read over and over again. I watched him for a few minutes before I lost my nerves... nearly fell asleep watching him "work"...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.07.2011, 22:53
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
You can always write (email) to the migrationsamt. They take a few days to respond, but I got a very clear answer about what I had to do. Same from STVA (form attached and even instructions how to fill the form!).

Now the efficiency of the gemeindehaus people is another topic altogether
But you wrote to a place in the "Suisse Alèmanique" ! The others on this thread here wrote to the "République de Genève" ! To quote Prof. Jean Ziegler : "La Suisse n'èxiste pas"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.07.2011, 22:57
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
I'd go with that version...
Had to go to the Gemeindehaus a few years ago, where a friend of mine worked. As I passed his office, he was sitting in front of a turned off computer and one piece of paper he read over and over again. I watched him for a few minutes before I lost my nerves... nearly fell asleep watching him "work"...
Admit it, you were almost dying of envy
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.07.2011, 23:01
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

"République de Genève" is an independent city in the center of Alps mountains that doesn't belong to any country / nation, doesn't really follow any rules and totally occupied by aliens from god knows where who call themselves "Genevoise"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mowvich for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.07.2011, 23:03
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 358
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
Admit it, you were almost dying of envy

no actualy not. I asked him if he was having fun and he said: not really, he was quite bored.

so maybe it's realy just creating work for themselves.
and maybe we should be thankful to be living in a country that can afford to pay people for doing nothing...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.07.2011, 23:06
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post

no actualy not. I asked him if he was having fun and he said: not really, he was quite bored.

so maybe it's realy just creating work for themselves.
and maybe we should be thankful to be living in a country that can afford to pay people for doing nothing...
That's pretty common here, i once had a friend who spent 98% of his time at work doing nothing that he was complaining about it and he was getting paid full salary and getting bonuses
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.07.2011, 23:10
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 358
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
That's pretty common here, i once had a friend who spent 98% of his time at work doing nothing that he was complaining about it and he was getting paid full salary and getting bonuses
yea I hear that a lot. but somehow I always miss those job interviews and end up doing real work!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.07.2011, 01:48
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
I'd go with that version...
Had to go to the Gemeindehaus a few years ago, where a friend of mine worked. As I passed his office, he was sitting in front of a turned off computer and one piece of paper he read over and over again. I watched him for a few minutes before I lost my nerves... nearly fell asleep watching him "work"...
You mean you've never come across a paper that you had to read several times to get a grasp of? Lucky you.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.07.2011, 03:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 694
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 542 Times in 283 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
If there's one thing I'd like to see, it's the permit office sending you a complete set of instructions about what they want when it's time to renew your permit. The morons here send you the form saying oh we need A and B and this form and then you mail it in and they mail it back saying 'We're sorry your application is incomplete because you did not send us C, D, and E'
Well, bugger me you idiots, if you had mentioned them I'd have sent them!
I suppose the Swiss would blame me for doing something that should be 'obvious if you weren't a foreigner' but this seems a lot like either (a) a bureaucracy using old forms with old instructions rather than print new ones and/or (b) creating work for both the people in the permit office (which otherwise wouldn't be needed) AND the post office! Yay. Time to go make pizza....
During my entire citizenship process, that's exactly what they did during the entire process. Every time we had everything they told us we needed, they came back with new requirements. F••king drove me up the wall. I should have told them that they'd need to reserve a room for me at Burghölzli for when the process was done…
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tooki for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.07.2011, 09:10
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 358
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
You mean you've never come across a paper that you had to read several times to get a grasp of? Lucky you.

no... i'm a clever little cookie, you know...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24.07.2011, 09:12
Patsycat's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,146 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

The funny thing I found when I had to renew my work permit was it was more expensive to do it if I went to the Office de la Population than if i did it by mail.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24.07.2011, 10:37
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
The funny thing I found when I had to renew my work permit was it was more expensive to do it if I went to the Office de la Population than if i did it by mail.
Funny it may be, but by going there you
- would use the time of people there
- would interrupt their healthy office sleep
- would use their carpets
- would use their doors
- would increase the traffic in the area
> any questions ?

AND, when my mother, admittedly ages ago, went to Geneva for half a year, a local "insider" told her that in GVA, the abbreviation SVP has a different meaning, which is Si Vous Pouvez as otherwise the person in question is absent
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24.07.2011, 10:49
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

I quit my last job (not my present one) in Zurich because of the workload - I didn't have anything to do and was bored stupid everyday. All the Swiss co-workers complained how busy they were and all the 'guest workers' were having a holiday in comparison with jobs in other countries, and we had the bulk of the workload.

My boss asked for my opinion on hiring some extra workers and another English guy and I said one person would be fine, so they hired an extra five!! That was when I gave up and left....

Last edited by nigelr; 24.07.2011 at 10:50. Reason: spelling ...(as alwasy :-) )
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.07.2011, 21:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 88
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
maxvoegtli has earned some respectmaxvoegtli has earned some respect
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

If there is one thing the swiss like it is an endless amount of paperwork. Simply tasks require loads of filling out and signatures. Not only foreigners get confused. I remember when I had to fill out my papers when I turned 18 it felt like they were asking me the same thing over and over again really annoying. Just got to put up with it or the swiss will flip shits
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24.07.2011, 21:48
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss efficiency (permits)

Quote:
View Post
I quit my last job (not my present one) in Zurich because of the workload - I didn't have anything to do and was bored stupid everyday. All the Swiss co-workers complained how busy they were and all the 'guest workers' were having a holiday in comparison with jobs in other countries, and we had the bulk of the workload.

My boss asked for my opinion on hiring some extra workers and another English guy and I said one person would be fine, so they hired an extra five!! That was when I gave up and left....
Are they still recruiting, this sounds exactly like a perfect match to qualifications
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New swiss permits in credit card formats vanjaar Permits/visas/government 49 23.08.2013 20:13
charity, efficiency Pashosh General off-topic 1 21.02.2010 18:14
Swiss visitor permits pepema Permits/visas/government 4 04.11.2009 18:34
Swiss Bureaucracy shows efficiency renmaris Daily life 7 24.04.2009 10:05
Furniture Delivery - Swiss Efficiency Guest Daily life 4 02.02.2007 15:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0