Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 26.08.2011, 20:06
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
I will simply not say anything unless I've prearranged everything and know for sure it is a "Yes".
I was genuinely just asking a question; you don't need to change your behaviour unless an actual event organiser has complained to you.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 26.08.2011, 20:09
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
...mmmkay...
You disagree?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 26.08.2011, 20:54
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

All "Maybe"'s are a "No" until they are a "Yes"

All "Yes"'s that don't show should be tied up, tickled , and asked why , repeatedly until their ribs hurt and they are out of breath.

Simples.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 26.08.2011, 21:19
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
Not quite:
No - this gives me the opportunity to now brag that I can't make it as I'll be in an exotic location somewhere else when the event is on... and think that someone really gives a hoot...
This is definitely worthy of a quote in an event RSVP.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 29.08.2011, 11:46
ARandomUsername
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
All "Yes"'s that don't show should be tied up, tickled
By an attractive young lady in a french maid's outfit, with a feather duster?

Excuse me, I have some events to sign up for.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 29.08.2011, 12:54
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 199
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 81 Posts
AhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputation
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
Not quite:
No - this gives me the opportunity to now brag that I can't make it as I'll be in an exotic location somewhere else when the event is on... and think that someone really gives a hoot...
I've noticed similar look-at-me behaviour. A simple "No, can't make it" will suffice. Here are some compilation of contenders for the Why-do-you-thing-we-care-you're-not-coming list:

- Bummer! I will be taking a 19:20 flight to Lisbon that evening, ready for a few days of fado, portuguese, and Fernando Pessoa poetry...and eventually some work too. Have fun!!!
- Might be in Nuremberg, but will know on the day.
- Am on a mission at the KFC Quest. Yum!
- smuggling some fat to france
- Argh, in Scotland, would love to have joined!
- Fully booked for tennis tournament this weekend - no luck to shoot ya brethren
- I'm going hiking in Grindelwald ;-)
- Going to Stuttgart for their Summer Festival. Have fun! Have a bucket of extra spicy legs for me.
- Sigh. I'm hiking in Ticino again this weekend. Have fun!
- another going away party to attend.... why is everyone leaving?
- In Adelboden
- unexpected plans... see you guys in a month
- Alas, no. I'd love to meet some new faces, but I am in Strasbourg tomorrow.
- I shall be in Las Vegas, such a chore maybe the next one?
- Greek food is my favorite, but after spending a ton of $ in the US, I have to decline;(
- being whisked away...
- Helsinki
- On holiday.
- In Scozia
- Crete
- Hamburg - I will not eat cucumbers
- Sorry to miss you all again but have German and then am on holiday for the next 2 weeks. See you all when I'm back in July.
- This looks really good, but sorry I will be in England that weekend.
- Looks like a great trip, but will be in Denmark that weekend
- being kidnapped to an undisclosed location!
- Sorry to miss out, but I will be playing in Geneva tonight. Have fun!
- I will be in the land of freedom (and burgers).
- we live very close to Franche-Comté and would have loved to join you - but will be playing with grand-children in UK that week-end. Enjoy your trip
- Gstaading for weekend

AYB
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AhYesBut for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 29.08.2011, 12:59
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,103
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Don't spoil the fun. I, for one, rather enjoy reading about what the 'Maybes' and the 'Nos' are doing at the weekend.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 29.08.2011, 13:02
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
I've noticed similar look-at-me behaviour. A simple "No, can't make it" will suffice. Here are some compilation of contenders for the Why-do-you-thing-we-care-you're-not-coming list:

- Bummer! I will be taking a 19:20 flight to Lisbon that evening, ready for a few days of fado, portuguese, and Fernando Pessoa poetry...and eventually some work too. Have fun!!!
- Might be in Nuremberg, but will know on the day.
- Am on a mission at the KFC Quest. Yum!
- smuggling some fat to france
- Argh, in Scotland, would love to have joined!
- Fully booked for tennis tournament this weekend - no luck to shoot ya brethren
- I'm going hiking in Grindelwald ;-)
- Going to Stuttgart for their Summer Festival. Have fun! Have a bucket of extra spicy legs for me.
- Sigh. I'm hiking in Ticino again this weekend. Have fun!
- another going away party to attend.... why is everyone leaving?
- In Adelboden
- unexpected plans... see you guys in a month
- Alas, no. I'd love to meet some new faces, but I am in Strasbourg tomorrow.
- I shall be in Las Vegas, such a chore maybe the next one?
- Greek food is my favorite, but after spending a ton of $ in the US, I have to decline;(
- being whisked away...
- Helsinki
- On holiday.
- In Scozia
- Crete
- Hamburg - I will not eat cucumbers
- Sorry to miss you all again but have German and then am on holiday for the next 2 weeks. See you all when I'm back in July.
- This looks really good, but sorry I will be in England that weekend.
- Looks like a great trip, but will be in Denmark that weekend
- being kidnapped to an undisclosed location!
- Sorry to miss out, but I will be playing in Geneva tonight. Have fun!
- I will be in the land of freedom (and burgers).
- we live very close to Franche-Comté and would have loved to join you - but will be playing with grand-children in UK that week-end. Enjoy your trip
- Gstaading for weekend

AYB
I would normally respond to this, but I'm too busy planning my Uni reunion weekend trip to the UK
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 29.08.2011, 13:05
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,989
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,058 Times in 8,019 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
Don't spoil the fun. I, for one, rather enjoy reading about what the 'Maybes' and the 'Nos' are doing at the weekend.
German Conversation Group Winterthur MORNING
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 29.08.2011, 13:17
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
I've noticed similar look-at-me behaviour. A simple "No, can't make it" will suffice. Here are some compilation of contenders for the Why-do-you-thing-we-care-you're-not-coming list:

- Bummer! I will be taking a 19:20 flight to Lisbon that evening, ready for a few days of fado, portuguese, and Fernando Pessoa poetry...and eventually some work too. Have fun!!!
- Might be in Nuremberg, but will know on the day.
- Am on a mission at the KFC Quest. Yum!
- smuggling some fat to france
- Argh, in Scotland, would love to have joined!
- Fully booked for tennis tournament this weekend - no luck to shoot ya brethren
- I'm going hiking in Grindelwald ;-)
- Going to Stuttgart for their Summer Festival. Have fun! Have a bucket of extra spicy legs for me.
- Sigh. I'm hiking in Ticino again this weekend. Have fun!
- another going away party to attend.... why is everyone leaving?
- In Adelboden
- unexpected plans... see you guys in a month
- Alas, no. I'd love to meet some new faces, but I am in Strasbourg tomorrow.
- I shall be in Las Vegas, such a chore maybe the next one?
- Greek food is my favorite, but after spending a ton of $ in the US, I have to decline;(
- being whisked away...
- Helsinki
- On holiday.
- In Scozia
- Crete
- Hamburg - I will not eat cucumbers
- Sorry to miss you all again but have German and then am on holiday for the next 2 weeks. See you all when I'm back in July.
- This looks really good, but sorry I will be in England that weekend.
- Looks like a great trip, but will be in Denmark that weekend
- being kidnapped to an undisclosed location!
- Sorry to miss out, but I will be playing in Geneva tonight. Have fun!
- I will be in the land of freedom (and burgers).
- we live very close to Franche-Comté and would have loved to join you - but will be playing with grand-children in UK that week-end. Enjoy your trip
- Gstaading for weekend

AYB
OH YAY!!!!!! LOOK AT ME!! LOOK AT ME!!!

I made the list!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank summerrain for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 29.08.2011, 13:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
This is for all the people who subscribe to events, not showing up and not informing the organizer at all.

IT'S RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL TO THE ORGANIZER.

There is people organizing stuff for you, putting in energy and freetime and after all being treated like shit. It is demotivating and it is impertinent to the whole group waiting just for YOU.

Maybe we should put up a blacklist. I will start to put the names of the noshows in my events threads and remove them from future events. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME ANYMORE.

If you subscribe as a 'Maybe':
- please try at least on the day the event takes place to change your status to either "attending" or "no". It is not that complicated you know.
Tightly organized fun in is always the best type of fun... especially when the fun organizing Nazis brutally punish individualism.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #72  
Old 29.08.2011, 13:25
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
OH YAY!!!!!! LOOK AT ME!! LOOK AT ME!!!

I made the list!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!
One of those entries (Castro's) was just above my "No" excuse. But mine didn't get used.

It's not fair!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 29.08.2011, 15:06
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Pfff! Mine is not there either. Dude, you really have to keep up here and keep an eye on the popular ones of this forum!

Where is my crown again....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:10
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,558 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

I've been organizing various sport events for years. The Wednesday Evening ZH Jogging Group died a death here on EF because of apathy and no one willing to pick up the initiative to organize the odd evening. I ran a couple of times with just one or two people and as fun as that was, I could have done more exercise without wasting my time driving to and from the city. So I took the names of the regulars and kept a handy list of potential sports chums handy whenever I was planning an event in the mountains, on the trails or on the athletics tracks and now it's easier, because I tell the others what I'm going to do and it's up to them if they want to come or not. You still get the inevitable "my pet anaconda has PMT" excuses rolled out at the last minute or people tending to base their decisions to attend purely on whatever the weather is doing.

The bright side is if you have a bunch of people who love their interest or sport with as much passion as you yourself do, then it makes it easy. With the Zürich Intruders we have a great group of American Football players who get involved and play their hearts out on Sunday afternoons. Thanks for the shameless opportunity of plugging our team!
__________________
Crash your karma into little bits of happiness

Last edited by Assassin; 29.08.2011 at 17:39.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 29.08.2011, 20:49
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
I think there should be a forum function where you can remove the "maybe" option. I don't get it. Either you're coming, you're not coming or you're not sure yet (don't respond until you are sure).

To the Prof.: I've heard your events are fantastic and would like to come to one at some point. Please don't let the minority discourage you - I know for a fact that many people really appreciate your efforts.
His events ARE fantastic !
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:38
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,399
Groaned at 167 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 8,610 Times in 3,192 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Thank goodness that Heisenberg was never an EF user.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
Meh. It's the principle. If you say you're going to be somewhere then be somewhere. Otherwise you're unreliable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:41
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 199
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 81 Posts
AhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputation
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Unless you are MrE's Dad , in which case you can be in two places at once.

AYB

Quote:
View Post
Thank goodness that Heisenberg was never an EF user.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Noshows at Social Events

The 'no' but would be 'yes' if not already doing something else - is a way of showing support for the event, hope it goes well and also indicate that it is an event that would defo be of interest if it happened again.
Rather than 'no' can't be bothered or 'just not my kind of thing' (rather than LOOK AT ME).

Totally agree about not turning up being so rude and off putting. I've only organised one minor event - and those who couldn't make it on the day did send a pm with their excuses (thank you and hope you make make it the next time).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:50
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 199
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 81 Posts
AhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputationAhYesBut has an excellent reputation
Re: Noshows at Social Events

In these enlightened times I was led to believe that "No" means "No".

My friends more experienced in swiss dating tell me "No" could be "Yes" if she was not already doing someone else.

AYB

Quote:
The 'no' but would be 'yes' if not already doing something else
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:56
winterwitch79's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Affoltern, zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
winterwitch79 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Noshows at Social Events

Quote:
View Post
If you subscribe as a 'Maybe':
- please try at least on the day the event takes place to change your status to either "attending" or "no". It is not that complicated you know.
To this one I have to put my hands up, and although I am never actually sure whether my dearly beloved is going to come home, untill he is here, I should have put in a little more effort in to giving you a definitive answer. At least this part I can correct, and apologise as I have never once considered how awkward this must be for the reservations.

I hope all of you in german group are well and I hope to see you all later in the year. business has kind of taken off a bit more than I expected ( at this point I must remind myself how nice it is that one of my Idea actually works) miss you all x

P.S. Prof. I have a pack of Camels drying out here, can I drop them down at stall 6 for you? (hadden`t forgotten)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
events, noshow




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expats and Social Events nickatbasel Complaints corner 20 27.11.2010 14:10
Geneva social events on Friday evenings Bertrand - Geneva Social events 33 15.11.2010 09:21
New thread in the SOCIAL EVENTS section cangarooo Forum support 17 18.08.2010 16:28
Timings of Social Events - error? India Forum support 6 13.04.2008 22:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0