Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:30
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 449
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
It is simply not true that Swiss Post is handling all incoming mail, as the Swiss postal market is free for all items above 50g. So anybody can found a company and bring mail to Switzerland.
According to previous posts by other members privately owned companies such as FedEx even charge higher fees for handling customs then Swiss Post does.
It is true that Swiss post handle everything from the public mail system.

If someone from overseas sends me a parcel via regular post, do I as a recipient then get a choice of who handles the parcel once it arrives in CH? No I dont - I get a bill right away for 18CHF (plus VAT). The sender, if sending via the public mail system, also doesnt get the choice of who handles it when it arrives. How should the sender know that the recipient will get charged for simply receiving the parcel. Sending to (most) other countries does not incur an 18CHF charge (not incl VAT) so why should CH, via the public mail system? CH cannot expect all senders around the world who are happy to use and rely on the public mail system to know the intricacies of the swiss system...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:36
stephinzug's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: zug
Posts: 67
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 11 Posts
stephinzug has made some interesting contributions
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

I order from Amazon frequently (books mainly, dvds, from the States, the UK and France ) to Zug and have never been charged tax on top. I'd inform Amazon.

What confuses me is that I've been charged taxes (45 CHF) on some yoga gear I ordered from France... Work this one out!

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Out in the Stick - Zug-ish
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
snoopy1664 has earned some respectsnoopy1664 has earned some respect
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

I believe the threshold for books is higher - about 200 CHF...

From what I can work out 'they' don't bother collecting tax if the amount of tax is 5 CHF or less.

Since VAT here is 8% on most things, 8% of the 65 CHF someone mentioned earlier comes to about 5 CHF. This is why the threshold for non-book purchases is about 65 CHF.

On books I think the VAT is 2.4%. 2.4% of 200 CHF is 4.8 CHFs - again, just under the limit.

Stop me if I start making sense....


Quote:
View Post
I order from Amazon frequently (books mainly, dvds, from the States, the UK and France ) to Zug and have never been charged tax on top. I'd inform Amazon.

What confuses me is that I've been charged taxes (45 CHF) on some yoga gear I ordered from France... Work this one out!

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank snoopy1664 for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:56
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
I order from Amazon frequently (books mainly, dvds, from the States, the UK and France ) to Zug and have never been charged tax on top. I'd inform Amazon.
You'll have ordered below the 5 CHF threshhold (they don't collect if the tax would be less than 5 CHF).

You get a lot of books (charged at 2.5%) before you need to pay tax and you can usually get two or three DVDs and stay happily under the limit.

Just be careful if you order stuff to be delivered express. The extra shipping charges can tip you over the edge.



The most annoying for me was Next, who helpfully sent my big order in 5 or 6 batches, all over the tax threshold, causing me an extra 70 odd CHF in handling fees. The fact that I'd ordered from next.ch only enhanced my irritation
__________________
Nothing of value kept in this post overnight.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:56
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Schindellegi
Posts: 142
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 28 Posts
clone000 is considered unworthyclone000 is considered unworthyclone000 is considered unworthy
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
What dvd was it that cost 55 EURO ??


I am guessing it was a box set perhaps??



cheers
SC
It was a DVD box set.

Quote:
View Post
I order from Amazon frequently (books mainly, dvds, from the States, the UK and France ) to Zug and have never been charged tax on top. I'd inform Amazon.

What confuses me is that I've been charged taxes (45 CHF) on some yoga gear I ordered from France... Work this one out!

Hope this helps

The postal guy told me anything over 60sfr (I think) gets this charge, he said sometimes its applied sometimes not, it depends.

Makes me think, WTH is wrong with this system, do they play spin the bottle to select shipments? (im kidding.. I am sure there is a method in place, but it just seems random..)
Reply With Quote
This user groans at clone000 for this post:
  #46  
Old 07.09.2011, 15:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
It is true that Swiss post handle everything from the public mail system.

If someone from overseas sends me a parcel via regular post, do I as a recipient then get a choice of who handles the parcel once it arrives in CH? No I dont - I get a bill right away for 18CHF (plus VAT). The sender, if sending via the public mail system, also doesnt get the choice of who handles it when it arrives. How should the sender know that the recipient will get charged for simply receiving the parcel. Sending to (most) other countries does not incur an 18CHF charge (not incl VAT) so why should CH, via the public mail system? CH cannot expect all senders around the world who are happy to use and rely on the public mail system to know the intricacies of the swiss system...
Just be happy it's ONLY CHF 18.

Fedex, DHL, etc. all charge 2 -3 times that!

No-one charges LESS!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07.09.2011, 15:24
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 449
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
Just be happy it's ONLY CHF 18.

Fedex, DHL, etc. all charge 2 -3 times that!
but for that you get really speed service, insurance, tracking capabilities etc and doesnt sit for over a week waiting to be examined by swissPost customs.

Quote:
View Post
No-one charges LESS!
Tom
in Switzerland

why should there even be a charge? Other countries dont charge it (most others). If they are really really intent on recovering their VAT money, and they find its not worth the time and effort for items between 65CHF and say 200CHF from what they get out of the VAT then they should rather raise the minimum to 200 rather than charge the recipient an 18 chf fee to make it worth their time and effort... This really is unique to Switzerland. Hence why everyone grumbles about it...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07.09.2011, 15:36
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P144_14184

http://www2.parcelforce.com/send-wor...ions/customs#5

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/ma...-e.asp#1382719 (Note "and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries")

Just saying, like.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 07.09.2011, 15:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
but for that you get really speed service, insurance, tracking capabilities etc and doesnt sit for over a week waiting to be examined by swissPost customs.
A week at customs?

Less than a day in my experience.

Oh, and I can track my SwissPost packets too.

Look, the charge is there, no matter who delivers it (it wasn't always, seems to be there only since they liberalised the postal service and forced them to make a profit), so don't order stuff for just over the minimum, either order BELOW it, or enough stuff so that it is irrelevant!

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 07.09.2011, 15:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
why should there even be a charge? Other countries dont charge it (most others). If they are really really intent on recovering their VAT money, and they find its not worth the time and effort for items between 65CHF and say 200CHF from what they get out of the VAT then they should rather raise the minimum to 200 rather than charge the recipient an 18 chf fee to make it worth their time and effort... This really is unique to Switzerland. Hence why everyone grumbles about it...
Umm, the CHF 18 (or more) is NOT charged by by the people who get the VAT money, it is charged by the shipping company for presenting the package to the customs people!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07.09.2011, 15:59
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
"A handling fee of $8.50CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied. This fee is in line with the government's efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services, and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries."

Hah, and Canada is worse as it's for " taxable imports valued at over $20CDN"

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07.09.2011, 16:07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 282 Posts
Laertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
why should there even be a charge? Other countries dont charge it (most others). If they are really really intent on recovering their VAT money, and they find its not worth the time and effort for items between 65CHF and say 200CHF from what they get out of the VAT then they should rather raise the minimum to 200 rather than charge the recipient an 18 chf fee to make it worth their time and effort... This really is unique to Switzerland. Hence why everyone grumbles about it...
But this fee is determined by free market, there is no law that told the different postal companies to raise a fee. It is there decision based on what they believe they can get away with.

The only way to change this is to complain at the sender. Because they are the ones who make the decision which company they use to send their stuff to you. Online stores send large quantities of mail, thus they should have quite some leverage in negotiating better terms for their clients, but they will only do so, if they fell forced to do so by their clients.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Laertes for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 07.09.2011, 16:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 282 Posts
Laertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
"A handling fee of $8.50CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied. This fee is in line with the government's efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services, and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries."

Hah, and Canada is worse as it's for " taxable imports valued at over $20CDN"

Tom
I am wondering whether the reason why there is no such fee for sending stuff to the US is that there exists no national VAT in America.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Laertes for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 07.09.2011, 16:51
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 130
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 29 Posts
princeali has made some interesting contributions
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
I order things from the US all the time, of about $100-$200 in value each. I've never been charged duties.
I'll second that!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07.09.2011, 17:02
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
I'll second that!
Is the value declared, or are they sent as gifts?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 07.09.2011, 17:16
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
I'll second that!
What're you ordering?

Books, food, and agricultural or medical products are all rated at 2.5% so your tax free "allowance" would be about $240.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07.09.2011, 17:25
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 449
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
What're you ordering?

Books, food, and agricultural or medical products are all rated at 2.5% so your tax free "allowance" would be about $240.
Can you elaborate on medical products?

Are contact lenses considered medical products?

and on perscription medicine, do they go by the value they cost in CH (if available here) or what I paid for them?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07.09.2011, 17:55
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
Can you elaborate on medical products?

Are contact lenses considered medical products?

and on perscription medicine, do they go by the value they cost in CH (if available here) or what I paid for them?
Dunno.

This link (in German) just mentions "Medikamente", with no definition.

Contact lenses are rated at 8%.

They should go by the decalared value, but EF has tales of goods being re-valued at Swiss prices. So, who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07.09.2011, 18:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 282 Posts
Laertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 55 Euro DVD from amazon.de got 25CHF tax/charge

Quote:
View Post
Dunno.


They should go by the decalared value, but EF has tales of goods being re-valued at Swiss prices. So, who knows.
According to http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en:
Quote:
The assessment basis generally comprises the consideration paid for the items in question. This applies also for items purchased online. The invoice or contract of sale forms the basis. In certain cases, the market value is taken into account, e.g. in the case of a gift. The market value corresponds to the sum that another buyer would have had to pay for the item. All costs up to the destination in Switzerland (e.g. postal forwarding service) as well as import duties (e.g. customs duties) are added to this value.
Foreign VAT is not part of the calculation basis, provided it is shown on the invoice or the contract of sale by the supplier.
I think this can be summarized as:
-assessment is generally based on the price paid to purchase the items (at least if there is a invoice or a contract stating the price)
-they may take the market value (probably Swiss prices) into account (probably for the cases where there is no invoice included, and they do not believe the declared value, or if there is no value declared at all.


Regarding importing medicine:
You should take into account, that medicine is subject to special import regulations. You should always check with customs whether a certain drug can be legally imported or not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Laertes for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues with buying printer ink from Amazon.de? southiemiddles TV/internet/telephone 9 13.05.2012 13:22
Ordering a mobile phone battery from Amazon DE fran001 TV/internet/telephone 1 10.05.2011 00:12
help for buying from amazon.de Sun2 Other/general 7 24.01.2011 22:37
Ordering from Amazon.de goods that don't ship to Switzerland ricardo Daily life 4 02.05.2010 13:06
Refund from amazon.de mirfield Daily life 1 26.03.2010 12:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0