Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 12.09.2011, 11:07
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,273
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,568 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
I'm afraid I will have to go with Adrian on this one.. this is also the mental image I have when someone substitutes Swiss for Switzerland; an inability to get even the countries' name right you live/are interested in does not speak for your cognitive abilities.
I reckon that is true for some cases but not all. As I said in my first post here, there are probably a variety of reasons for this.

I feel sure that some are genuine confusion and a few are to deliberately provoke a reaction.

The situation for Switzerland is quite different to the othe examples mentioned. 'Swiss' is easier to type than 'Switzerland'. 'Swiss' is also used in variants in many countries as well as being a description for the inhabitants.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Deep Purple for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 12.09.2011, 11:10
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

The Switzerlanders living here in Swiss must be really fed up.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 12.09.2011, 11:11
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
The Switzerlanders living here in Swiss must be really fed up.
If they don't like it, they can always move somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 12.09.2011, 11:23
TitanTurbo10's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 585
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 748 Times in 306 Posts
TitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

And while we're at it......why are there so many non-English people on this forum? Bloody foreigners.....it's not the "English Language Forum" it's the English Forum......English Forums for English people!! Eng-ger-lund!!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TitanTurbo10 for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 12.09.2011, 11:27
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

I do it to annoy EFers
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 12.09.2011, 11:28
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
The point is.......English speakers do it too. Thats the whole point of the thread. I assume that Chinese speakers know what Switzerland is called in Chinese
That was my assumption as well. First I thought it's my pronunciation, but most Chinese don't even know the country when you've got it written down or a Chinese friend repeats it for me. They know Swiss watches but Rui4shi4 gets blank looks.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12.09.2011, 12:49
Gibreal
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Jaysus, its just a word, chill out. More often then not the word is used for the easiness. Just because some people may have a bad attitude is no reason for a shortened word to be made an insult. Anyword can be used as an insult depending on the intonation used when the word is said so chill out its just a word. It only becomes an issue when there is serious intent behind it.

On a side note since you you people are so offended about the use of the word Swiss, some people might be equally offended by the words that you used in your post. My point is they are just words and people shouldn't let their sensibilities be so affected by what is just some sounds mixed together.

It becomes a different issue when there is intent to cause harm to people, that is clearly wrong.

guess what ??
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 12.09.2011, 12:52
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,348
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,743 Times in 2,185 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

^^^^
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 12.09.2011, 12:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
Jaysus, its just a word, chill out. More often then not the word is used for the easiness. Just because some people may have a bad attitude is no reason for a shortened word to be made an insult. Anyword can be used as an insult depending on the intonation used when the word is said so chill out its just a word. It only becomes an issue when there is serious intent behind it.

On a side note since you you people are so offended about the use of the word Swiss, some people might be equally offended by the words that you used in your post. My point is they are just words and people shouldn't let their sensibilities be so affected by what is just some sounds mixed together.

It becomes a different issue when there is intent to cause harm to people, that is clearly wrong.

guess what ??
Swiss off!


Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 12.09.2011, 13:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Why do people call this country "Swiss"?

Poor linguistic skills resulting in an inability to differentiate between use of the adjective "Swiss" and the use of the noun "Switzerland" as an adjective, and complete obliviousness to the nuance implicit in the two usages.
"She opened her Swiss Freitag bag and pulled out a Switzerland football shirt.""
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #131  
Old 12.09.2011, 19:30
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 707 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
And while we're at it......why are there so many non-English people on this forum? Bloody foreigners.....it's not the "English Language Forum" it's the English Forum......English Forums for English people!! Eng-ger-lund!!!!
How recent do your English ancestors have to be, to be eligible? My great-grandfather (on my mother's side) was a commander of British Marines based in Malta until he retired and journeyed to Australia (via New York) ... and my great-great-grandparents (on my father's side) were London-born actors before they made the long trek to Australia (via New Zealand - I think they got lost!).
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12.09.2011, 20:02
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
How recent do your English ancestors have to be, to be eligible? My great-grandfather (on my mother's side) was a commander of British Marines based in Malta until he retired and journeyed to Australia (via New York) ... and my great-great-grandparents (on my father's side) were London-born actors before they made the long trek to Australia (via New Zealand - I think they got lost!).
Do you buy rounds?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 12.09.2011, 20:31
Salsa_Lover
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

in my experience, Indian people use to do so... much less the UK or american natives.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12.09.2011, 21:22
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 707 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Not sure if I mentioned it clearly before, but I'd like to state that I only get upset with this if it's a native English speaker, who is not trying to speak French, that uses "Swiss" as the name of the country - clearly a failure in their geography education.
Anybody else, it could quite easily be an honest, understandable mistake.
Either way, I rarely comment on it directly.

Quote:
View Post
Do you buy rounds?
At times - it depends which of my cultural heritages is at the fore ... but I'll tell you now, all other things being equal, ales are better than lagers. Oh, and nobody'd better ask for a half.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank araqyl for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 12.09.2011, 21:39
TitanTurbo10's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 585
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 748 Times in 306 Posts
TitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
How recent do your English ancestors have to be, to be eligible? My great-grandfather (on my mother's side) was a commander of British Marines based in Malta until he retired and journeyed to Australia (via New York) ... and my great-great-grandparents (on my father's side) were London-born actors before they made the long trek to Australia (via New Zealand - I think they got lost!).
Your Forum name is too close to "Argyle" and so I suspect you are from Scotzerland or Scottishland or whatever we're supposed to call it. But, a round is a round....so you're in!
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12.09.2011, 22:45
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
I reckon that is true for some cases but not all. As I said in my first post here, there are probably a variety of reasons for this.

I feel sure that some are genuine confusion and a few are to deliberately provoke a reaction.

The situation for Switzerland is quite different to the othe examples mentioned. 'Swiss' is easier to type than 'Switzerland'. 'Swiss' is also used in variants in many countries as well as being a description for the inhabitants.
> BRITS is shorter than Britain, so that I visited Brits
> BRITS is easier to type than Britain
> BRIT in the forms of Brits and British is used in many variants
> the inhabitants of that island-kingdom are NOT "Britainer"

So much for a bit of a rant. BUT did you ever consider who created the name "Switzerland" ? This must have been folks from Brit ! As THE name of this country was/is Schweiz/Schwiiiz
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #137  
Old 12.09.2011, 22:47
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
If they don't like it, they can always move somewhere else.
They are in Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera

************************************************** **********

Quote:
View Post
And while we're at it......why are there so many non-English people on this forum? Bloody foreigners.....it's not the "English Language Forum" it's the English Forum......English Forums for English people!! Eng-ger-lund!!!!
You simply forget the END of the name of this forum = .ch
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #138  
Old 12.09.2011, 22:49
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,693
Groaned at 383 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 13,071 Times in 4,477 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
Your Forum name is too close to "Argyle" and so I suspect you are from Scotzerland or Scottishland or whatever we're supposed to call it. But, a round is a round....so you're in!
Get it right. It's "Scots"...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #139  
Old 12.09.2011, 23:03
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
Get it right. It's "Scots"...
I love the Scotch.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 12.09.2011, 23:22
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 707 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people call this country Swiss?

I like scotch fingers ...





Lovely biscuits.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To all you Swiss people: Do realize how great your country is? Wheat Hoarder Daily life 152 29.07.2011 11:42
Why do I always need +41 to call with Swisscom CMN? msolis TV/internet/telephone 2 20.02.2011 10:53
I need to meet people in this country jsg Language corner 7 16.06.2010 00:43
Why do english people complain about Swiss supermarkets? fabio Food and drink 338 25.06.2008 20:47
Why buy a car in this country? Basel Gooner Transportation/driving 91 27.02.2008 08:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0