Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.09.2011, 15:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 74 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,313 Times in 542 Posts
reids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond repute
Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Some muppetry here at Ikea Dietlikon, 10 mins to the bus, a girl is sitting on the bench there with her blue ikea bags taking up most of it so I asked her to move a bag so I could sit down. So she stands, moves a bag to where she was sitting then proceeds to berate me for not being a gentleman and by the way she is pregnant.

So I'm sitting, she's standing and her bags are taking up the rest of the space, it's not raining and the floors clean. Sit your effing bags on the floor you nutter.

I'm happy to give up my seat to a laydee, pregnant or not but not for her frickin shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.09.2011, 17:09
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,095
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Well isn't asking nicely the proof that you're a gentleman? If you weren't one, you'd have just picked up her bags and put them on the floor yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.09.2011, 17:30
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,241
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

yesterday i saw a man ask for the seat next to an older woman where her shopping was. he did it very nicely and asked (in french) if she'd like him to put her bags up on the shelves above for her. the way he did it was so polite and nice that even though you could see she wasn't happy to move her bags, she couldn't well refuse. why people think that their bags have more of a right to the seat than people is beyond me, but i thought it was a very good way of turning things around a bit.

but why did she put her bags in the seat and not her (most likely) tired and pregnant behind? anyway, i wouldn't worry, weird people everywhere
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank amaraya for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.09.2011, 17:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,815
Groaned at 573 Times in 440 Posts
Thanked 26,548 Times in 12,182 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Sadly pregnant and old women like that spoil it for every one else.
Mind you, when my daughter was commuting to London whilst VERY heavily pregnant, 1 hour each way - she said not a single man ever offered to give up his seat - so much for the Surrey 'gents'.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.09.2011, 17:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,467
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,184 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

She probably felt it more difficult or painful to pick up her bags off the floor. I've been there
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.09.2011, 18:03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 74 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,313 Times in 542 Posts
reids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
She probably felt it more difficult or painful to pick up her bags off the floor. I've been there
Fair point, I wouldn't have thought of that. I don't think that was the case here though as she was hardly showing, I would never have noticed if she hadn't pointed at her small bump mid-berate.

One time on the underground in london I stood up for an older woman to take my seat, the second I stood up a kid about 12 I guess jumped into the seat, I motioned her mum to call her brood to heel but she just shrugged.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank reids for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 17.09.2011, 18:09
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,569
Groaned at 208 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
She probably felt it more difficult or painful to pick up her bags off the floor. I've been there
Yet she carried them to the tram, and presumably from the tram to home.
Maybe the dolly should get a trolley...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 17.09.2011, 18:34
Karu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 35
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Karu has made some interesting contributions
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
Some muppetry here at Ikea Dietlikon, 10 mins to the bus, a girl is sitting on the bench there with her blue ikea bags taking up most of it so I asked her to move a bag so I could sit down. So she stands, moves a bag to where she was sitting then proceeds to berate me for not being a gentleman and by the way she is pregnant.

So I'm sitting, she's standing and her bags are taking up the rest of the space, it's not raining and the floors clean. Sit your effing bags on the floor you nutter.

I'm happy to give up my seat to a laydee, pregnant or not but not for her frickin shopping.
Don't think about it any longer. She was crazy. Sorry to say that. Pregnancy makes women think they have the right to be always right.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Karu for this useful post:
The following 4 users groan at Karu for this post:
  #9  
Old 17.09.2011, 19:05
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,095
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
Pregnancy makes women think they have the right to be always right.
Consider it a benefit. It prepares you for the kid who thinks he or she is always right.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank little_isabella for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.09.2011, 21:02
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,615
Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,800 Times in 2,187 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
Some muppetry here at Ikea Dietlikon, 10 mins to the bus, a girl is sitting on the bench there with her blue ikea bags taking up most of it so I asked her to move a bag so I could sit down. So she stands, moves a bag to where she was sitting then proceeds to berate me for not being a gentleman and by the way she is pregnant.
How can you be sure that her new Malm wasn't pregnant with a little Lack?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 18.09.2011, 00:45
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Could be she was one of those who capitalises on pregnancy, could be she was just a nutter. On the other hand, back pain is not visible, and can be brought on early in pregnancy, even when hardly showing - as MarieZug said, maybe it was that which made her not want to put her bags on the floor. And as a back pain sufferer I know that you have to try not to let it rule your life - if you're properly balanced, you can carry weight, but avoid certain actions like lifting off the floor.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank planetali for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 18.09.2011, 00:47
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,569
Groaned at 208 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
Could be she was one of those who capitalises on pregnancy, could be she was just a nutter. On the other hand, back pain is not visible, and can be brought on early in pregnancy, even when hardly showing - as MarieZug said, maybe it was that which made her not want to put her bags on the floor. And as a back pain sufferer I know that you have to try not to let it rule your life - if you're properly balanced, you can carry weight, but avoid certain actions like lifting off the floor.
She obviously opened her legs wide enough, I am sure she can bend her knees...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
The following 11 users groan at Upthehatters2008 for this post:
  #13  
Old 18.09.2011, 08:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bassersdorf
Posts: 32
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
AussieRose has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Dont take it personally.... Pregnant woment just dont think straight.. Been there twice! Its really not her fault...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AussieRose for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 18.09.2011, 09:01
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,436
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
She probably felt it more difficult or painful to pick up her bags off the floor. I've been there
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
View Post
Fair point, I wouldn't have thought of that. I don't think that was the case here though as she was hardly showing, I would never have noticed if she hadn't pointed at her small bump mid-berate.
If she's carrying "toward the back", instead of all hanging out like a basketball stuck to her front, she'd look like she's not very far along until she is VERY far along. You can't judge pregnancy progression just by outer appearance.

Quote:
View Post
Yet she carried them to the tram, and presumably from the tram to home.
Maybe the dolly should get a trolley...
See here:

Quote:
View Post
Could be she was one of those who capitalises on pregnancy, could be she was just a nutter. On the other hand, back pain is not visible, and can be brought on early in pregnancy, even when hardly showing - as MarieZug said, maybe it was that which made her not want to put her bags on the floor. And as a back pain sufferer I know that you have to try not to let it rule your life - if you're properly balanced, you can carry weight, but avoid certain actions like lifting off the floor.
Now, for me, I do it differently and simply stand at the part of the tram where there is a shelf (usually back of one of the cars) and put my stuff on it and lean against it. I'm not pregnant but when I was, it was the bending over and lifting that was bothersome, not the carrying.

Pregnant or not, I can carry a balanced load a lot more comfortably than I can lift it.

Quote:
View Post
She obviously opened her legs wide enough, I am sure she can bend her knees...
Bending while laying is not the same as bending while bearing weight...

Misogynistic comment is misogynistic.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 18.09.2011, 10:01
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,183
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,311 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

When I commuted to and from London, I had a phrase which I whipped out for such circumstances - "oh I didn't realise, has your bag paid for a ticket too?"

Since being in CH I've actually had far more occasion to use it, and learnt how to say it in German very early on in my German career.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank ecb for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 18.09.2011, 10:19
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
When I commuted to and from London, I had a phrase which I whipped out for such circumstances - "oh I didn't realise, has your bag paid for a ticket too?"

Since being in CH I've actually had far more occasion to use it, and learnt how to say it in German very early on in my German career.
Exactly my response. I'm happy to give up my seat to a pregnant lady, a crippled old man, or what have you, but if your luggage or your pet rat wants a seat, you better buy it a ticket too.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 18.09.2011, 10:43
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 187 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
Misogynistic comment is misogynistic.
But yet misandrist comment is ?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at parnell for this post:
  #18  
Old 18.09.2011, 10:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
But yet misandrist comment is ?
Obsessed and bitter, much?

Man up, Parnell. You're an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 18.09.2011, 10:48
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
View Post
When I commuted to and from London, I had a phrase which I whipped out for such circumstances - "oh I didn't realise, has your bag paid for a ticket too?"
Wow! A smarmy, sarcastic comment on inner London public transport. Brave.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18.09.2011, 10:57
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 187 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pregnant lady, you can have my seat but your shopping can't

Quote:
Obsessed and bitter, much?

Man up, Parnell. You're an embarrassment.
Why bitter ?

I just enjoy showing up sexism for what it is. Have a look at the distribution of my thanks on the posts here if you doubt that.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Violent crime report that can't help but brighten up your day Guest Swiss politics/news 17 31.08.2011 18:48
Can you wash your car in your driveway? Swiss-American Daily life 6 09.08.2011 14:17
I am not working now. But can I have G permit while my husband has? fromyan Permits/visas/government 2 11.08.2010 09:44
How long can you stay out of CH if you have a student visa? maxluga Permits/visas/government 0 08.01.2010 19:35
How can i have my dream dog? princessbean2009 Pet corner 20 10.09.2009 19:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0