Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.09.2011, 21:03
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

People are people everywhere.
It's the environment that makes the difference.
If people like what they do, are not overly stressed, are not afraid of losing their jobs, are recognized for their work and contribution.... then there are no issues.
Not sure that it has to do with a specific culture or nationality.

Hope you feel better
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 22.09.2011, 22:02
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

Quote:
View Post
btw. Do you really want to be friends with your work colleagues?
I have been called on the carpet for NOT being social with my work colleagues.

They: "We feel you are not making connections, and that your adaption to Swiss life is suffering as a result."

I: "I'm making connections just fine. Why is my personal life of concern to you?"

They: "What we mean is, we don't see you socializing with people from work."

I: "I prefer to keep my work life and my private life separated."

They: "That's not how we do it here, and we want to see you start to make an improvement."

I:
__________________
I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies. - Pietro Aretino
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.09.2011, 22:47
desperate's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 270
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 101 Posts
desperate has annoyed a few people around heredesperate has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Miserable at work

Quote:
View Post
I have been called on the carpet for NOT being social with my work colleagues.

They: "We feel you are not making connections, and that your adaption to Swiss life is suffering as a result."

I: "I'm making connections just fine. Why is my personal life of concern to you?"

They: "What we mean is, we don't see you socializing with people from work."

I: "I prefer to keep my work life and my private life separated."

They: "That's not how we do it here, and we want to see you start to make an improvement."

I:
Translation: if you don't "fit in" we are afraid you might rock the boat, and we don't like the boat to be rocked... because we like it nice and stable here
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 23.09.2011, 09:28
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

Quote:
View Post
I have been called on the carpet for NOT being social with my work colleagues.

They: "We feel you are not making connections, and that your adaption to Swiss life is suffering as a result."

I: "I'm making connections just fine. Why is my personal life of concern to you?"

They: "What we mean is, we don't see you socializing with people from work."

I: "I prefer to keep my work life and my private life separated."

They: "That's not how we do it here, and we want to see you start to make an improvement."

I:

On the one hand, that seems a bit odd as there is such distinction made between friend and colleague here - colleague being used to refer to all but closest of friends - and comments are often made about how Swiss coworkers don't tend to socialize outside of work.

On the other hand, my main examples being my husband and his family, I know that they all do indeed have a couple of close friends which were made at work who they socialize with outside of work. I've been bowling, to the movies and to EuropaPark a couple of times with some of hubby's coworkers, just as casual things, but also to the wedding of one of his coworkers as well.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 23.09.2011, 10:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 637
Groaned at 71 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 469 Times in 247 Posts
saiya-jin has an excellent reputationsaiya-jin has an excellent reputationsaiya-jin has an excellent reputationsaiya-jin has an excellent reputation
Re: Miserable at work

I always had good relationship with at least few of them. Currently (at a bank!) we are going swimming, trekking together, one is learning me how to climb... I guess it depends on your and their attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 23.09.2011, 11:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 33 Posts
whitecat74 is considered knowledgeablewhitecat74 is considered knowledgeablewhitecat74 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Miserable at work

I resigned today, just one week short of the end of my 3-month probationary period. Life is too short. I was lied to during the interview process. I don't know if its a Swiss thing or a human thing or a liar thing - my guess is the latter. But I'm done. As of today.

Its been very hard for me to come to terms with this decision but once I finally did, what a relief. Onwards and upwards. Good luck!

(and in the darkest days, remember to be thankful... for having friends/a spouse/not being in a wheelchair..)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank whitecat74 for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 23.09.2011, 11:04
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

Go buy yourself a nice lunch and maybe a good book. There are few things quite so liberating as quitting a crappy job.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 23.09.2011, 11:20
Kristanez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Home and native land
Posts: 600
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 589 Times in 252 Posts
Kristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

If it's really bad, maybe it would be worthwhile to start looking for another job.

I had the same job two years in a row, and the first year it was the best job I'd ever had, and the second year it was the worst job I'd ever had, completely due to the relational dynamics. I had a hard time leaving but it was worth it. I wasn't able to continue on in an environment that toxic, without it seeping into the rest of my life.

The financial benefits are obvious, but don't forget to factor in the emotional/mental costs...they add up too.

Hope things get better for you!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 23.09.2011, 11:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,313
Groaned at 399 Times in 325 Posts
Thanked 17,298 Times in 8,749 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

Quote:
View Post
People are people everywhere.
It's the environment that makes the difference.
If people like what they do, are not overly stressed, are not afraid of losing their jobs, are recognized for their work and contribution.... then there are no issues.
Not sure that it has to do with a specific culture or nationality.

Hope you feel better
But it does have to do with the management, for sure. Sometimes it is the management who encourages the so-called "office policy"..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 23.09.2011, 11:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AG
Posts: 333
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 107 Times in 79 Posts
Wakey is considered knowledgeableWakey is considered knowledgeableWakey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Miserable at work

Quote:
View Post
I resigned today, just one week short of the end of my 3-month probationary period. Life is too short. I was lied to during the interview process. I don't know if its a Swiss thing or a human thing or a liar thing - my guess is the latter. But I'm done. As of today.

Its been very hard for me to come to terms with this decision but once I finally did, what a relief. Onwards and upwards. Good luck!

(and in the darkest days, remember to be thankful... for having friends/a spouse/not being in a wheelchair..)
A very brave decision. Good luck with everything, and try to see it as a life lesson, not failure. Those who try never fail!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 23.09.2011, 13:20
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,701 Times in 3,745 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable at work

Quote:
View Post
I've found that mentioning at work that you love pistol shooting and look forward to bringing your gun collection to the office one day tends to take the tension out of the air and lighten the atmosphere
Yes and you must mention that those new Psyco-pharmica anger mangament meds are not working as well as the old ones
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back at work after maternity leave and baby is sick (2nd day at work) - what do I do? Petruskin Employment 9 05.06.2011 23:40
Swiss are a miserable due to chocolate Cashboy General off-topic 3 27.04.2010 09:20
Helpfull Swiss 3 - miserable tossers 0 Papa Goose Daily life 25 07.04.2010 13:52
Miserable, humourless git Guest Complaints corner 133 31.03.2009 12:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0