Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 29.09.2011, 18:04
AmericanGotWorkVisa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 363
Groaned at 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 157 Posts
AmericanGotWorkVisa has slipped a little
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

While I agree with the thread as compared to North America.

Don't ever move to Mainland China, Taiwan, Vietnam...people will walk into you all the time, pump you....Japan is better, but not much.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 29.09.2011, 18:05
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Zuirch HB is the worst, WTF is wrong with people??? won't let you off the train, block the stairs, have to adjust something AS SOON as they step off the train or stairs, just stop in front of you, walk across you (then stop) the list goes on, how I have managed not to punch some idiot is beyond me

the very very stupid woman on monday who blocked people getting off the train by parking her pram just where the train stopped by the esculator thats being repaired, then gave everyone trying to get off the blasted train a gormless look is top of the list.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 29.09.2011, 18:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

I'm quite astonished by this thread, as in the eleven years I've been here I've found it to be much more courteous and considerate than the US or the UK, at least as far as cities are concerned.

Reading deeper though, I see that most of the responders are in Zurich, and many refer to railways, so maybe the common link os one of those two. I'm in Basel, and drive in (from the French side) to work, so my public transport experiences are limited to suing trams around town occasionally.

I can't remember _ever_ being bumped into or stepped on while waiting for, boarding or riding on a tram. For that matter, I don't think I've ever been bumped into or stepped on in all the time I've been here.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 29.09.2011, 18:37
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Oops!! It must be me you´re bumping into. I have a game at Zurich HB in the evenings. I go in a straight line from one side to the other and nothing , repeat nothing makes me deviate
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cricketer for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 29.09.2011, 19:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
And it's not entirely a European thing. One of the strangest phenomena is watching the human traffic in Victoria station. Thousands upon thousands of people cross walk through the station and nobody bumps into anyone else. Collectively they are all making split second spacial calculations that can save them from having to say 'sorry'.

Another thing that makes me want to punch people in the mouth anywhere, but over here it's compounded by the fact that normal seeing eye, able-bodied people can't walk in a public space without bumping into each other as if it were a game of human dodgems is:

1) Text walking. This is the pedestrian equivalent of drink driving.
2) Read walking. Why on earth someone thinks that a great time to read a book is when you're walking through a train station in the morning is beyond me.
Just can't agree about Victoria Station.
Earlier this month, unfortunately for me, the Gatwick Express arrived at Victoria at 17.45, so I was 'swimming against the tide'.
After being bumped into several times, and called a 'stupid old cow' and suchlike, I gave up and stopped for a cup of tea.
It really was not a pleasant experience. Neither was the cup of tea
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 29.09.2011, 19:12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 67 Posts
sun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeable
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Steep gradient footpath with cars parked tightly on one side and bushes on the other side, I see an Asian looking lady walking up struggling with pram and shopping bags but two old Swiss ladies talking in the middle of the footpath would knowingly not budge to the side for her. I was left speechless coming from the other side. So I brushed the old ladies into the bush with my shoulder.

Few hours later on the way back home I saw that the two old ladies where still trapped in the bush. Should I have helped them get up?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
TimorousBeastie has earned some respectTimorousBeastie has earned some respect
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

This isn't really a Swiss phenomenon...

I thought it was only in the UK, where people don't queue to get on public transport...getting on a bus In Glasgow is a total bunfight.

If I had a penny for the number of times I've had to push through people whilst trying to get off the train; I tell you, I'd have a lot of pennies. What can I say? People are dumb.

The only cities that I've experienced any manners, where it comes to spacial awareness and queuing etiquette was in Edinburgh and Montreal.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:27
whitepard's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
whitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeable
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
At least it wasn't a complaint about Switzerland, rather a complaint about all of Europe/all Europeans.

Seriously though, CH or Zurich is generally very tolerable in my experience. Try skiing in Italy and see how the italians queue, I guess it is all relative.
once a comic actor made a joke about italian queues: they are not straight like the rest of the world, they are round. Sadly enough this is true and please never goes to a grocery store when they are selling tomatoes to make tomato sauce for pasta.... you will risk your life. And no I'm not against Italian, as I'm italian too, i just to know very well how "crazy" we can be, sadly.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:27
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Your problem is that you're too white. Try being brown for a day. They won't come near you.

The most fun I get is sitting in the four seater on the bus and nobody comes to sit even opposite me I can understand not beside me (not much room beside me) But they don't even bother with opposite!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:28
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
This isn't really a Swiss phenomenon...

I thought it was only in the UK, where people don't queue to get on public transport...getting on a bus In Glasgow is a total bunfight.

If I had a penny for the number of times I've had to push through people whilst trying to get off the train; I tell you, I'd have a lot of pennies. What can I say? People are dumb.

The only cities that I've experienced any manners, where it comes to spacial awareness and queuing etiquette was in Edinburgh and Montreal.
We had totally the opposite experience in Oxford; my kids asked me why were the people queueing up to get on the bus
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:30
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
Your problem is that you're too white. Try being brown for a day. They won't come near you.

The most fun I get is sitting in the four seater on the bus and nobody comes to sit even opposite me I can understand not beside me (not much room beside me) But they don't even bother with opposite!
Porsch...you are 6-3 and about 300lbs. I'm sure if there were space, then they'd be sitting next to you.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:38
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
Porsch...you are 6-3 and about 300lbs. I'm sure if there were space, then they'd be sitting next to you.
I know English isn't your first language but that's what I said. I can understand not sitting beside me but not across from me at a diagonal at the minimum.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:38
whitepard's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
whitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeablewhitepard is considered knowledgeable
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
I'm quite astonished by this thread, as in the eleven years I've been here I've found it to be much more courteous and considerate than the US or the UK, at least as far as cities are concerned.

Reading deeper though, I see that most of the responders are in Zurich, and many refer to railways, so maybe the common link os one of those two. I'm in Basel, and drive in (from the French side) to work, so my public transport experiences are limited to suing trams around town occasionally.

I can't remember _ever_ being bumped into or stepped on while waiting for, boarding or riding on a tram. For that matter, I don't think I've ever been bumped into or stepped on in all the time I've been here.
I Agree with Ace1, I take the tram everyday to go to work here in Basel and so far i had no bumping accidents of any sort. When i was in Bern i had few one, the worst when i was walking in the city center and someone decided that was fun to skate between people. Needless to say that such person bumped into me quite badly.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:39
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
I know English isn't your first language but that's what I said. I can understand not sitting beside me but not across from me at a diagonal at the minimum.
Last time I saw you, you had midgets orbiting around you....trust me on this one, there is no space across from you.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:44
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
Your problem is that you're too white. Try being brown for a day. They won't come near you.

The most fun I get is sitting in the four seater on the bus and nobody comes to sit even opposite me I can understand not beside me (not much room beside me) But they don't even bother with opposite!
Damn immigrants. They all smell the same. A bit like fried chicken coated in eleven herbs and spices.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:44
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
Last time I saw you, you had midgets orbiting around you....trust me on this one, there is no space across from you.
If I sit on the window seat then there is space on the isle seat opposite me. Neither my legs or my layers of fat protrude into the space of that seat...yet nobody sits there.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:46
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
If I sit on the window seat then there is space on the isle seat opposite me. Neither my legs or my layers of fat protrude into the space of that seat...yet nobody sits there.
Maybe because your baby coffins shoes are in the way.

But wait a minute, how on earth do you sit by the window on a bus...I barely fit in there as my shoulders will reach almost half of the other seat if I lean against the glass?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:50
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
Maybe because your baby coffins shoes are in the way.

But wait a minute, how on earth do you sit by the window on a bus...I barely fit in there as my shoulders will reach almost half of the other seat if I lean against the glass?
It doesn't really matter because nobody desires or even attempt to sit beside or opposite me.

Well there is sometimes the odd liberal granny
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:50
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
It doesn't really matter because nobody desires or even attempt to sit beside or opposite me.

Well there is sometimes the odd liberal granny
..and what does she do, sit on top of you?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 30.09.2011, 11:56
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Continental European Spatial Awarness

Quote:
View Post
..and what does she do, sit on top of you?
Yes LiB...she just comes and sit on me. That makes complete sense
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Spatial Awareness raincookie Complaints corner 57 25.09.2012 14:56
Continental Airlines dog import via Zurich? katiew Pet corner 11 20.06.2011 22:31
Taylor spatial frame menace Family matters/health 0 04.03.2011 13:27
Car Rental - Continental Europe Guest Transportation/driving 2 25.05.2009 14:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0