Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04.10.2011, 08:40
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,914
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Mine are constantly moving furniture, too. I had a really bad night's sleep on Thursday, I slept from 11:30 to 1:30 then I was awake for the rest of the night. I heard my downstairs neighbours showering, doing the washing-up, moving furniture and all other manner of things throughout the whole night. I wonder when they sleep...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kamarate for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 04.10.2011, 09:15
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
Some can also shit gold...but that's another story.
That is actually true...

does-anyone-else-s-neighbours-have-any-late-night-peculiar-habits-dsc04315.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06.10.2011, 12:50
angelbutler's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Aargau
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 24 Posts
angelbutler has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Funny, never heard a foreigner complain about the noise at night, it is usually the other way around, Swiss complaining about the foreigners' noise after 9...nice change
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank angelbutler for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 06.10.2011, 13:32
psp psp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
psp is considered knowledgeablepsp is considered knowledgeablepsp is considered knowledgeable
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
My neighbour decides most nights although after a drink (assumption here ) he decides to opera sing and as the village is soo quiet at night it sounds sooo loud... it isnt the singing that is annoying though he is actually quite good its his method of tuning.. He gets in the car before the singing starts and revs it up really loud for about a minute, gets out locks the door and sings and then after a short burst he does it again..
What amuses me most is the donkey that decides to join in on occasion
Bard Cacophonix
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06.10.2011, 19:41
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

My neighbor below my must smoke like 50 cigs and all at once. She lights up about 22:00 and I swear it looks like my balcony is on fire. When it's raining, my balcony is often draped in a billow of her smoke. My wife thought it was foggy the other night, even though skies were crystal clear.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank jerallie for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 06.10.2011, 20:33
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,094
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
My neighbor below my must smoke like 50 cigs and all at once. She lights up about 22:00 and I swear it looks like my balcony is on fire. When it's raining, my balcony is often draped in a billow of her smoke. My wife thought it was foggy the other night, even though skies were crystal clear.
That sounds horrific to me. If there's one thing I struggle with here (despite adoring most everything else about Switzerland), it's the high number of smokers. I'm very sensitive to it. With being pregnant now and secondhand smoke being so damaging to the fetus, I'm having a really hard time.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank little_isabella for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 06.10.2011, 20:42
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,487
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,576 Times in 747 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

I'm lucky: the other flat on the same floor as me is empty (belongs to the owner of the building who is only here a couple of weeks per year), and the people above and below me are very quiet. I tend to listen to loud classical music so I probably bother them more than they bother me.

There is someone in the building, though, who frequently bangs around downstairs at about 4 in the morning, opening/closing the metallic letterbox and the front door. Although it's three floors below, the sound carries up through the walls. I have never had the energy to get up to investigate, I can only assume it's someone who has very odd working hours and either leaves for work/comes home from work at that time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank stephen_NE for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 07.10.2011, 10:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
Donkeys can sing?
You're not familiar with the the work of Oasis then?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11.10.2011, 21:36
kirley10's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 67
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 20 Posts
kirley10 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

My neighbour beside me (who I have never met) once a week cleans her fridge and throws all the vegetables out the window onto the road. I saw her face once, which was when the carrots hit the roof of a car parked on the street (causing some commotion). This is a busy area of Zurich, lots of cars parked on the street. Once I say her roll up the window cover and throw out a coconut. I am glad I do not own a car!!!

The neighbour above me, moves furniture all night long, starting at 1:00am
Not sure why, and after hearing them fight a few times... I am too nervous to ask.

The neighbour on the other side has the cutest little boy (about 4 years old), when my husband and I are out on our balcony, he comes out on his balcony with all his toys and shows them to us, 1 by 1. We do not speak his language so we just smile and nod.
__________________
Living the Dream
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank kirley10 for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 11.10.2011, 21:59
Sagitta's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 706
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,174 Times in 489 Posts
Sagitta has a reputation beyond reputeSagitta has a reputation beyond reputeSagitta has a reputation beyond reputeSagitta has a reputation beyond reputeSagitta has a reputation beyond reputeSagitta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
My neighbour beside me (who I have never met) once a week cleans her fridge and throws all the vegetables out the window onto the road. I saw her face once, which was when the carrots hit the roof of a car parked on the street (causing some commotion). This is a busy area of Zurich, lots of cars parked on the street. Once I say her roll up the window cover and throw out a coconut. I am glad I do not own a car!!!

The neighbour above me, moves furniture all night long, starting at 1:00am
Not sure why, and after hearing them fight a few times... I am too nervous to ask.

The neighbour on the other side has the cutest little boy (about 4 years old), when my husband and I are out on our balcony, he comes out on his balcony with all his toys and shows them to us, 1 by 1. We do not speak his language so we just smile and nod.
The ambiance of your building reminds me of Delicatessen. Don't you feel like in a surrealist black comedy?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sagitta for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 11.10.2011, 22:04
Cosmicgirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: English Riviera
Posts: 251
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 118 Times in 77 Posts
Cosmicgirl has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Mine has a shower at midnight every night ! And he is the only Swiss in the building !
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11.10.2011, 22:51
kirley10's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 67
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 20 Posts
kirley10 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

My neighbour throws vegetables out her window, glad I do not have a car.

We live on a busy street in Zurich and she has tossed out a few items (carrots, coconut, apples) that have left dents in the roofs of the cars parked below.

Strange, very very strange!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11.10.2011, 22:56
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,335
Groaned at 173 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
My neighbour throws vegetables out her window, glad I do not have a car.

We live on a busy street in Zurich and she has tossed out a few items (carrots, coconut, apples) that have left dents in the roofs of the cars parked below.

Strange, very very strange!

How can people just waste food like that?!? Buy less!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11.10.2011, 23:18
Meisie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Amriswil - Thurgau
Posts: 1,691
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,262 Times in 584 Posts
Meisie has a reputation beyond reputeMeisie has a reputation beyond reputeMeisie has a reputation beyond reputeMeisie has a reputation beyond reputeMeisie has a reputation beyond reputeMeisie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

One of my neighbors smokes weed some evenings and I know this because I think he hotboxes his apartment and when his buddies open the door to leave, the waft engulfs our stairwell and comes in under my front door.

Another neighbor has a girlfriend who sometimes spend the evenings at his place. She has a little girl who wears braces on her legs which are attached to some kind of very heavy shoe sole (she had spina bifida at birth) and we can hear her running around quite late at night.

We had a neighbor here a few years ago who would do the deed with his girlfriend with their windows open and we could of course hear them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meisie for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 12.10.2011, 02:02
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
Mine are constantly moving furniture, too. I had a really bad night's sleep on Thursday, I slept from 11:30 to 1:30 then I was awake for the rest of the night. I heard my downstairs neighbours showering, doing the washing-up, moving furniture and all other manner of things throughout the whole night. I wonder when they sleep...
I think you are clearly a bit too sensitive. I grew up with the bus starting at 5.30 and on the other side the cargo-trains towards the San Gottardo coming through once per hour (not hearable during the day but well so during all night) and it never disturbed our sleep. I only had problems between 2002 and 2009 living in Adliswil in a place where you could not hear anything, no cars, no trams, no buses, no trains, so that I regularily overslept, beside feeling "in exile". Now, it is alright, with decent street traffic, two bus-lines, a rail-line, and some airplanes landing over the house, all how nice
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12.10.2011, 02:05
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
My neighbor below my must smoke like 50 cigs and all at once. She lights up about 22:00 and I swear it looks like my balcony is on fire. When it's raining, my balcony is often draped in a billow of her smoke. My wife thought it was foggy the other night, even though skies were crystal clear.
High class Havanna cigars ? or a real old-fashioned Schtumpe ?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12.10.2011, 02:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
I grew up with the bus starting at 5.30 and on the other side the cargo-trains towards the San Gottardo coming through once per hour
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 12.10.2011, 02:09
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
I'm lucky: the other flat on the same floor as me is empty (belongs to the owner of the building who is only here a couple of weeks per year), and the people above and below me are very quiet. I tend to listen to loud classical music so I probably bother them more than they bother me.

There is someone in the building, though, who frequently bangs around downstairs at about 4 in the morning, opening/closing the metallic letterbox and the front door. Although it's three floors below, the sound carries up through the walls. I have never had the energy to get up to investigate, I can only assume it's someone who has very odd working hours and either leaves for work/comes home from work at that time.
My brother for years was working as truck driver for a company doing the bread deliveries of Migros to major M-outlets. He had to leave home at 4.00AM to be active in time. I was much astonished about this as I remembered only too well that this was the person who on Sundays slept until 11AM
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12.10.2011, 02:21
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
That sounds horrific to me. If there's one thing I struggle with here (despite adoring most everything else about Switzerland), it's the high number of smokers. I'm very sensitive to it. With being pregnant now and secondhand smoke being so damaging to the fetus, I'm having a really hard time.
I for decades detested to see all pubs in London to be four-times as much smoke-filled as anything in Zurich and that places in Italy were three-times as much smoke-filled. You cannot have it that way, 50 years smoking as smoking can be and then suddenly expect things to be the other way round.

The number of smokers in Switzerland is not higher than European average, rather lower. To give a practical example. I some 10 years ago, at the birthday of Mum, reserved a "non-smoker-table at the windows-front" for the evening of her birthday. Upon arrival we were dispatched to a table far behind. When I complained I was told that all the windows tables of course were smokers-tables and so they had to ..... whenever I get offered a free cigar I will walk in there smoking and not hearing anything ! and I liked places in London but had to flee due to the heavy smoking .... ever been in the Sherlock Holmes Pub ? sure, you possibly could not read the name of the place due to the smoke !
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12.10.2011, 02:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does anyone else's neighbours have any late night peculiar habits..

Quote:
View Post
Mine has a shower at midnight every night ! And he is the only Swiss in the building !
Isn't that his idea about "nightlife" ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
annoying, habits




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with TC Entreprise générale SA? question_tennant Housing in general 0 10.10.2010 15:03
Non-EU postdoc - does anyone else have to pay student fees? kiwigeek Permits/visas/government 14 04.08.2010 15:19
G-permit (cross-border commuter) Does anyone have any experience with this? lux_interior Permits/visas/government 3 06.11.2009 18:04
Does anyone have any UK stamps? leylak Other/general 7 15.12.2008 18:02
Anyone else experiencing roadworks going on till late? Guest Complaints corner 12 08.08.2008 15:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0