Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:39
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,058 Times in 937 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Having known of my family's July 2011 to Switzerland from the US for many months prior to its occurrence, I tried to prepare the small ones in my household for the loss of Halloween as a celebrated "holiday;" reminding them at Halloween 2010 that it was their last one in the States, so they had better make it a good one.

Fast-forward to last Sunday, during which I reminded my complaining children of the many wonderful things about living in CH, pointing out that these things surely outweigh the negatives. I empathized with them regarding the lack of fun-size Skittles, candy corn, scary home decor, costume shops, and haunted houses, but remained steadfast in my message of the importance of "understanding new cultures and customs" and "embracing differences." I patiently explained how trick-or-treating was an American thing of the past; we are in Switzerland now! I gave myself a mental high-five for being a great example of the expat who does not insist upon carrying on with public traditions associated with her home country!

Today I was greeted by dried-up egg running down the front of the house. And even after I handed out candy to the few trick-or-treaters that rang my bell last night. At least in the USA I would have had a few dozen choices of candy from my kids' Halloween bags to snack on after cleaning up the mess.

I guess the summarized version of my rant is: "Halloween in Switzerland - all the disadvantages, none of the benefits."

Anyone have any hints on getting dried egg yolk out of stucco?
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Textoch for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 481
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 267 Times in 168 Posts
gourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

yes we have got some glue gunk on our intercom this morning and looking round the road signs around, there are some on there as well. So well, this is just one of the draw back.. Called the agent and sent the pictures on. lets hope they will send someone round soonish!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gourmet for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:44
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

I can't help you about the dried egg but....

candy corn is available at the American Market in Nyon or Geneva ( just don't tell the kids. )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:50
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,335
Groaned at 173 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
I can't help you about the dried egg but....

candy corn is available at the American Market in Nyon or Geneva ( just don't tell the kids. )
To each his/her own, but man... I was excited not to see any candy corn this year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:51
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,058 Times in 937 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
I can't help you about the dried egg but....

candy corn is available at the American Market in Nyon or Geneva ( just don't tell the kids. )
Do you think they might put it on sale for 75% off today since it is the day after Halloween?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Textoch for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:54
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
Do you think they might put it on sale for 75% off today since it is the day after Halloween?
ummm.... in a word............no.

I can't say I've ever seen a single item in there on markdown.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.11.2011, 12:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Some times mental high fives can give you a false sense of security. The problem is that there really is no appreciation by locals of efforts made by us Auslanders.

Im sorry to hear about the egg. But hey, its a stupid, harmless attack. Thats all the Swiss are capable of.

Quote:
View Post
Having known of my family's July 2011 to Switzerland from the US for many months prior to its occurrence, I tried to prepare the small ones in my household for the loss of Halloween as a celebrated "holiday;" reminding them at Halloween 2010 that it was their last one in the States, so they had better make it a good one.

Fast-forward to last Sunday, during which I reminded my complaining children of the many wonderful things about living in CH, pointing out that these things surely outweigh the negatives. I empathized with them regarding the lack of fun-size Skittles, candy corn, scary home decor, costume shops, and haunted houses, but remained steadfast in my message of the importance of "understanding new cultures and customs" and "embracing differences." I patiently explained how trick-or-treating was an American thing of the past; we are in Switzerland now! I gave myself a mental high-five for being a great example of the expat who does not insist upon carrying on with public traditions associated with her home country!

Today I was greeted by dried-up egg running down the front of the house. And even after I handed out candy to the few trick-or-treaters that rang my bell last night. At least in the USA I would have had a few dozen choices of candy from my kids' Halloween bags to snack on after cleaning up the mess.

I guess the summarized version of my rant is: "Halloween in Switzerland - all the disadvantages, none of the benefits."

Anyone have any hints on getting dried egg yolk out of stucco?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #8  
Old 01.11.2011, 13:15
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
Im sorry to hear about the egg. But hey, its a stupid, harmless attack. Thats all the Swiss are capable of.
Wrong. They are also capable of putting up with sweeping generalizations.
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.11.2011, 13:31
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,058 Times in 937 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

I believe the offending egg to be Swiss.

I have no idea the nationality of the egg-chucker.

(On second thought, that egg might have been French, though.)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Textoch for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.11.2011, 13:35
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,041
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,827 Times in 10,410 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

I think the problem here lies in a mis-translation.

Here they think it's 'Trick and treat'.

The only time we have had egg thrown at our walls and windows is the year we answered the door and gave out Halloween sweets that I had bought back the from U.S.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.11.2011, 20:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kanton SG
Posts: 392
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Sliced has earned some respectSliced has earned some respect
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
Do you think they might put it on sale for 75% off today since it is the day after Halloween?
Think the Easter eggs are still normal price, but not 100% sure.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sliced for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,939
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,594 Times in 2,881 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

I'm sorry you were the victim of misbehaved little sh*ts who deserve a good beating. The problem is that a minority of idiots will take any opportunity to vandalise things, the true mark of spoiled brats who are used to their parents getting them out of trouble.

When I was a kid, we had this thing called "Schulsilvester", it was on the last school day before the Christmas break, we would get up really early and make a nuisance of ourselves before going to school. For "make a nuisance", read "nick our parents panlids and walk through the streets banging them together, swinging wooden rattles and, for the very naughty, ringing doorbells or wrapping cars or ornamental trees in toilet paper". Then we would go to school (on time!), where we usually were greeted with hot orange "punch" (no alcohol) and Weggli with a Schoggistängeli. Basically, it was a day to go crazy and let your hair down. But then kids started blowing up letterboxes, getting drunk the night before and vandalising things, putting shaving foam on cars and blocking exhausts, throwing eggs and generally being twunts, causing financial damage. So Schulsilvester was banned.

Now it seems that Halloween has taken the place of Schulsilvester, I know that the parents of the kids in my district all got sent a letter to remind them that they are responsible for their children and will be held to account for any damage their children may cause. I didn't see any damage around here.

Maybe this eHow can help you get the egg off? Again, I'm sorry that you were a victim to this, I wish we didn't have an increasing amount of idiot kids, I guess it goes with the increasing amount of idiot parents, who think their kids want to have "cool" parents who are partners in crime rather than figures of authority.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 02.11.2011, 09:39
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,058 Times in 937 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry you were the victim of misbehaved little sh*ts who deserve a good beating. The problem is that a minority of idiots will take any opportunity to vandalise things, the true mark of spoiled brats who are used to their parents getting them out of trouble.

When I was a kid, we had this thing called "Schulsilvester", it was on the last school day before the Christmas break, we would get up really early and make a nuisance of ourselves before going to school. For "make a nuisance", read "nick our parents panlids and walk through the streets banging them together, swinging wooden rattles and, for the very naughty, ringing doorbells or wrapping cars or ornamental trees in toilet paper". Then we would go to school (on time!), where we usually were greeted with hot orange "punch" (no alcohol) and Weggli with a Schoggistängeli. Basically, it was a day to go crazy and let your hair down. But then kids started blowing up letterboxes, getting drunk the night before and vandalising things, putting shaving foam on cars and blocking exhausts, throwing eggs and generally being twunts, causing financial damage. So Schulsilvester was banned.

Now it seems that Halloween has taken the place of Schulsilvester, I know that the parents of the kids in my district all got sent a letter to remind them that they are responsible for their children and will be held to account for any damage their children may cause. I didn't see any damage around here.

Maybe this eHow can help you get the egg off? Again, I'm sorry that you were a victim to this, I wish we didn't have an increasing amount of idiot kids, I guess it goes with the increasing amount of idiot parents, who think their kids want to have "cool" parents who are partners in crime rather than figures of authority.
Thanks, Kittster! No need for apologies! I suppose I should look at the bright side and realize that I am better off cleaning up a single egg from the wall of the house rather than fishing toilet paper from the yard and trees (doubly bad when one can't get the paper at the top of the trees, then it rains and the bits fall down). The toilet papering of trees/hedges/bushes was the prank-of-choice when we lived in the US, and it was often interpreted as a sign of the "victim's" popularity, especially if a group of girls did it to a guy!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.11.2011, 09:54
SamWeiseVielleicht's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 725
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 893 Times in 397 Posts
SamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

Quote:
View Post
The problem is that there really is no appreciation by locals of efforts made by us Auslanders.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.11.2011, 10:31
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 76 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post-Halloween Reality

I've been in Switzerland 10+ years and never saw any trick-or-treaters or any other form of "halloween activity" besides a random party or maybe some decoration in a store. I'm surprised to hear you got not only trick-or-treaters and egged too As a US-ex-pat, I think I'd like that, as I'd feel a little more at home

Oh, PS- you can gear your kids up for "Rabeliechtli". At our school, kids from KG-2nd grade carve out a turnip-(or little pumpkin-thing) and walk in the evening and sing songs. organized by the school. I think it's next week. Google it for more info, or ask your school about it.



OOps, it's Räbeliechtli, I forgot the dots :/
http://translate.google.ch/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

Last edited by esto; 02.11.2011 at 10:58.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
eggs, halloween, pranks




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Room with a View - Swiss Reality Crumbs Daily life 35 04.07.2011 14:17
Swiss Post Juliette*J Complaints corner 15 11.08.2010 15:05
Swiss Post mimi1981 Complaints corner 5 14.04.2010 10:35
Swiss Post box KarlN Other/general 1 06.10.2008 08:44
Swiss Post Boxes Guest General off-topic 11 27.11.2007 13:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0