Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 17.11.2011, 23:52
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #282  
Old 17.11.2011, 23:57
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,551
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,827 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quick draw McGraw up there. ΛΛΛ

I like strollers.


Last edited by Mud; 18.11.2011 at 00:27.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Mud for this useful post:
  #283  
Old 18.11.2011, 00:00
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
Quick draw McGraw up there.

I like strollers.

In soviet Russia, strollers are reduntant.
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 18.11.2011, 00:08
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post

"I like strollers"


Ha Ha Ha.......... now THAT, should be a T-Shirt !!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #285  
Old 18.11.2011, 06:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 86
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Cajun Swiss has earned some respectCajun Swiss has earned some respect
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
I thought about this thread while I was relieving myself and had a eureka moment and movement This thread for me was a laugh but knowing how some women can be they might have taken things to heart. Already the stress of kids and then some of us rubbing it in is not very nice.

So even though I meant everything I said because those are my views I still would like to apologise for any hurt I might have caused. Helping and being tolerant should never go out of fashion. The fact is that I have always helped mums and always will as I am a good boy.

So Cajun lady I hope you have recovered and feeling better.
I am thanks, but my faith in humanity shall never be restored.

But seriously, I know most people help and this is what prompted me to post this. I also know that mothers can be a rude bunch, even to other mothers. I have dealt with women also taking up the entire stroller area with bags or not standing so I can push my stroller in. I too have been pushed a rolled over.I never wanted to imply that I am special so please get out my way. Or that people with children don't have lives, I am so sorry for that. Some days I envy you. My kids are my absolute pride and joy, but damn they can be brats at times. This situation was harsh, but not as hurtful as the comments put here or the blame I received from others saying I got what I deserved. Who said that about sticks and stones? Clearly they never visited an online forum.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Cajun Swiss for this useful post:
  #286  
Old 18.11.2011, 09:42
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
I am thanks, but my faith in humanity shall never be restored.

But seriously, I know most people help and this is what prompted me to post this. I also know that mothers can be a rude bunch, even to other mothers. I have dealt with women also taking up the entire stroller area with bags or not standing so I can push my stroller in. I too have been pushed a rolled over.I never wanted to imply that I am special so please get out my way. Or that people with children don't have lives, I am so sorry for that. Some days I envy you. My kids are my absolute pride and joy, but damn they can be brats at times. This situation was harsh, but not as hurtful as the comments put here or the blame I received from others saying I got what I deserved. Who said that about sticks and stones? Clearly they never visited an online forum.
Good morning!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #287  
Old 22.11.2011, 10:31
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

So yesterday rush-hour time, I was seated happily at one of the fold down seats in the bus 'pram area'.

When a rearer of a baby and toddler get on, I immediately stand up to make room, so does the random next to me to make room, we get a look from the Rearer but not as much as a thank you or a smile. Regardless, perhaps she is having a bad day (never an excuse not to thank someone who went out of their way to make your day easier, but I guess not all think like me).
At which point the toddler (not sure the age, but stongly fluent is verbal communications). Pipes up and says loudly, "I want those two to leave the bus so we can sit there." -amusing/cute and all, but the Rearer doesn't smile or laugh, but subtly agrees.

I would have gotten a severe punishment for being rude to a stranger, and being disrespectful in public. Seriously, there's a good chance that the kid is going to grow up to be an a$$hole like that....some people just shouldn't be having kids.
__________________
"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com" -Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #288  
Old 22.11.2011, 10:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
Also in the bus the place is even more limited, so when there are like 3 strollers people still wants to go out from the middle door, while having place to walk to the alternative door, so i just learned to say "Bitte benutzen Sie die andere TŘr" (use the other door please)

You will be surprised how much they listen and actually use the other door or make space for you. I got to believe that they just dont have common sense but are great if instructions are given.
Well I'm not a daily user of the (Basel) trams but I've never been aware of a 'prioritÚ Ó prams' rule. Is there actually such a rule?

Personally, of course, I'll always try and make room and/or assist when possible. Whether it be prams, disabled or older people. When I broke my back a few years ago I had to go round with an external frame thingy strapped on, and nearly always found that people would make space and even offer a seat for me, so it's not all one way either.
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 22.11.2011, 11:28
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
Seriously, there's a good chance that the kid is going to grow up to be an a$$hole like that....some people just shouldn't be having kids.
yeah. i think everybody should be sterilised at birth. un-sterilisation process occurs only after passing the required tests. probably would solve a lot of the worlds problems.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #290  
Old 22.11.2011, 11:36
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
Well I'm not a daily user of the (Basel) trams but I've never been aware of a 'prioritÚ Ó prams' rule. Is there actually such a rule?
not sure if there is. maybe the pram symbol is to indicate the only place where prams can be tolerated and no other doors should be used when you have a pram?
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 22.11.2011, 11:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 86
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Cajun Swiss has earned some respectCajun Swiss has earned some respect
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
So yesterday rush-hour time, I was seated happily at one of the fold down seats in the bus 'pram area'.

When a rearer of a baby and toddler get on, I immediately stand up to make room, so does the random next to me to make room, we get a look from the Rearer but not as much as a thank you or a smile. Regardless, perhaps she is having a bad day (never an excuse not to thank someone who went out of their way to make your day easier, but I guess not all think like me).
At which point the toddler (not sure the age, but stongly fluent is verbal communications). Pipes up and says loudly, "I want those two to leave the bus so we can sit there." -amusing/cute and all, but the Rearer doesn't smile or laugh, but subtly agrees.

I would have gotten a severe punishment for being rude to a stranger, and being disrespectful in public. Seriously, there's a good chance that the kid is going to grow up to be an a$$hole like that....some people just shouldn't be having kids.
Sorry you had to deal with such rude people. No wonder I was pushed and cursed at if this is how all the mothers in Switzerland act. I hope that when people get up for me, I always remember to thank them.

I suppose the mother is just tired of always having the only seat taken up in the only place she can stand, but she should not teach her kids to treat people that way. Entitlement is a dangerous thing and if this thread did anything for me, I will NEVER act entitled or teach my children that they are.
I think moms feel so sorry for themselves sometimes that they think the world should know that they were puked on all night and did not sleep a wink (that was my night last night) but everyone has their own set of problems. By the way, no public transport for me today.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Cajun Swiss for this useful post:
  #292  
Old 22.11.2011, 11:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 86
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Cajun Swiss has earned some respectCajun Swiss has earned some respect
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
not sure if there is. maybe the pram symbol is to indicate the only place where prams can be tolerated and no other doors should be used when you have a pram?
In Basel, the only place I can push my stroller in is marked by a symbol. The only place I can stand is in this area. I simply can't fit anyplace else even with my small stroller. Yesterday a woman with a walking stick screamed at my kid as he exited the tram because he did not let her on first, I stayed on the bus and she gave me attitude for sitting in the area for people with a walking stick even though there were 3 other seats where she could sit. Not just moms are a**holes. I should have pushed her and told her F*** you!
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 22.11.2011, 11:49
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
In Basel, the only place I can push my stroller in is marked by a symbol. The only place I can stand is in this area. I simply can't fit anyplace else even with my small stroller. Yesterday a woman with a walking stick screamed at my kid as he exited the tram because he did not let her on first, I stayed on the bus and she gave me attitude for sitting in the area for people with a walking stick even though there were 3 other seats where she could sit. Not just moms are a**holes. I should have pushed her and told her F*** you!
yeah. we should remove these walking stick and pram symbols. they are obviously the source of the problem.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #294  
Old 22.11.2011, 12:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 86
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Cajun Swiss has earned some respectCajun Swiss has earned some respect
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
yeah. we should remove these walking stick and pram symbols. they are obviously the source of the problem.
All people with limited mobility must stay home!!!
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 22.11.2011, 12:10
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,053
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,846 Times in 10,417 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
yeah. we should remove these walking stick and pram symbols. they are obviously the source of the problem.
And rely on common-sense and human-kindness instead?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #296  
Old 22.11.2011, 14:26
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
And rely on common-sense and human-kindness instead?
Both of these items I find daily at the local Migros next to the brown-sugar and canned pumpkin puree.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #297  
Old 22.11.2011, 14:52
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
And rely on common-sense and human-kindness instead?
yes.

i think this is one of the big problems here: the attitude is to seem to try to have a rule for everything and then enforce the rules blindly and without sense.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #298  
Old 22.11.2011, 17:39
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,176 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

We spent 2-3 years taking nickatbasel Jnr. on Basel trams with any combination of stroller, pushchair, Baby Bj÷rn. For the most part people have given up seats and made way. The annoying thing is the people with strollers who don't place their stroller in an "orderly" fashion in the pram section, making it difficult for people with prams getting on to find a space.

The other one is pram pushers who get on at a door other than where the pram section is - sorry but that just blocks the gangway.

Since we came to ZŘrich, we don't use a pram anymore - but I think most people on public transport are accommodating of people with babies and toddlers.

Far worse is trying to take a kid in pram on any mode of public transport in London - and people sitting on seats marked as priority for the disabled don't give them up unless given hard stares.

Cheers,
Nick
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #299  
Old 22.11.2011, 22:33
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
Far worse is trying to take a kid in pram on any mode of public transport in London - and people sitting on seats marked as priority for the disabled don't give them up unless given hard stares.
that's a good thing. the seats are meant to be for those with physical disabilities, not mental ones.

but in all seriousness, they are not for prams, they are for people who have difficulties in standing. having a pram doesn't count.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 23.11.2011, 07:38
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,773
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,173 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not moving when I try to get on tram with stroller

Quote:
View Post
The annoying thing is the people with strollers who don't place their stroller in an "orderly" fashion in the pram section, making it difficult for people with prams getting on to find a space.

Cheers,
Nick
Totally agree! Just yesterday I was on a tram where some clever dick had taken their kid out of their pushchair and left the pushchair in the buggy area.....with the brakes off

The damn thing was rolling all over the place and I had to keep stopping it from knocking my little one in the face!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When people try and screw you over... What do you do? Zarzar Complaints corner 23 13.10.2011 15:37
To try, or not to try...? Peg A Food and drink 6 21.10.2010 13:45
Do you go out with locals, when you try to learn their languages ? Bertrand - Geneva Language corner 17 27.08.2010 14:36
People who constantly try to guess what's going to happen next in a film Russkov Complaints corner 58 10.05.2010 10:59
Can I get VAT refund when moving from UK to Switzerland? Hinano Finance/banking/taxation 1 06.10.2007 07:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0