Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.01.2012, 16:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seengen, AG
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Siorys has no particular reputation at present
Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

There's this great falafel/döner place on Niederdorfstrasse (honestly don't remember the name, but I think it had a number in it) where I've been twice and I really like the food. The thing is, both times before leaving I think I got sweared at in Turkish by the guy preparing the food. It wasn't "good evening" or "thank you", for sure, I know what that sounds like. Is it just me?

P.S.: I think I might have pissed them off because after eating in the place, I neatly folded the paper container my food came in and threw it in their garbage can. Does it make sense?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.01.2012, 16:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,419
Groaned at 61 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,921 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Turkish
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.01.2012, 12:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seengen, AG
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Siorys has no particular reputation at present
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Haha, thanks a lot! I'll try it out next time (but first I'll make sure I'm not sweared at in the first place).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.01.2012, 15:42
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 145
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 41 Posts
azt33 has earned some respectazt33 has earned some respect
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Do you remember what it sounded like?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.01.2012, 15:48
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

I'll be trully surprised.

So something like; alfiyet Olsun? Or sagol? Or tesekurler? Or tesekur ederim?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.01.2012, 00:35
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Quote:
View Post
There's this great falafel/döner place on Niederdorfstrasse (honestly don't remember the name, but I think it had a number in it) where I've been twice and I really like the food. The thing is, both times before leaving I think I got sweared at in Turkish by the guy preparing the food. It wasn't "good evening" or "thank you", for sure, I know what that sounds like. Is it just me?

P.S.: I think I might have pissed them off because after eating in the place, I neatly folded the paper container my food came in and threw it in their garbage can. Does it make sense?

http://zuri.net/zurich/18812/restaurant_1001.htm

shows the restaurant you most likely mean. the first comment amazingly is about lack of friendliness. I was there, over the years maybe two or three times and they all were friendly with me all the time.

http://www.yelp.ch/biz/1001-zuerich

shows some more comments, with one even praising the friendliness of the staff (also my personal experience), but all agreeing about the a bit tasteless even if functional interieur

for really good Turkish cuisine, go to

http://www.restaurantmanesse.ch/
the Manesse Marmara at Manesse-Strasse

or to

http://www.restaurantbodrum.ch/
the Bodrum in Rüschlikon

BOTH places offer REAL Turkish cuisine

Last edited by Wollishofener; 15.01.2012 at 14:34.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.01.2012, 14:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seengen, AG
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Siorys has no particular reputation at present
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Quote:
View Post
I'll be trully surprised.

So something like; alfiyet Olsun? Or sagol? Or tesekurler? Or tesekur ederim?
Nope, certainly not wishing me en guete or thanking me. I'll just give the other places a chance as well, and if the food is good and the people friendlier, I'll change. It's not set in stone anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.01.2012, 22:41
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Quote:
View Post
Nope, certainly not wishing me en guete or thanking me. I'll just give the other places a chance as well, and if the food is good and the people friendlier, I'll change. It's not set in stone anyway...
or really good Turkish cuisine, go to

http://www.restaurantmanesse.ch/
the Manesse Marmara at Manesse-Strasse

or to

http://www.restaurantbodrum.ch/
the Bodrum in Rüschlikon

BOTH places offer REAL Turkish cuisine
-- and in both cases, good food and good service can be taken for granted
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.01.2012, 23:06
lifeisabuffet's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Frankfurt/Zurich
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 55 Posts
lifeisabuffet has an excellent reputationlifeisabuffet has an excellent reputationlifeisabuffet has an excellent reputationlifeisabuffet has an excellent reputation
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Quote:
View Post
There's this great falafel/döner place on Niederdorfstrasse (honestly don't remember the name, but I think it had a number in it) where I've been twice and I really like the food. The thing is, both times before leaving I think I got sweared at in Turkish by the guy preparing the food. It wasn't "good evening" or "thank you", for sure, I know what that sounds like. Is it just me?

P.S.: I think I might have pissed them off because after eating in the place, I neatly folded the paper container my food came in and threw it in their garbage can. Does it make sense?
Yasas Siorys,
I've been there.
The guy who works there is nuts, he curses 24/7, it has nothing to do with you.
Next time around you can tell him "Malaka pusti" and when he asks you what that means can tell him it means thank you in Greek.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.01.2012, 23:38
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,105
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Quote:
View Post
There's this great falafel/döner place on Niederdorfstrasse (honestly don't remember the name, but I think it had a number in it) where I've been twice and I really like the food. The thing is, both times before leaving I think I got sweared at in Turkish by the guy preparing the food. It wasn't "good evening" or "thank you", for sure, I know what that sounds like. Is it just me?

P.S.: I think I might have pissed them off because after eating in the place, I neatly folded the paper container my food came in and threw it in their garbage can. Does it make sense?
I think you're referring to this place: Restaurant 1001, Niederdorfstrasse 4, 8001 Zurich

I go there whenever I'm in need of a firey, spicy and tasty HOT chicken kebab. My friends and colleagues who've also been there with me at various times all agree the food is good.

However, I/we've never had a problem with unfriendly service and swearing and have always been met with smiles. Not that we'd know we were being sworn at in Turkish if it happened but I guess the facial expression would be a dead giveaway on that!
__________________
" The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. " ~ Arthur C Clarke
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ximix for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.01.2012, 07:49
SemAms's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: im Ausland
Posts: 305
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 415 Times in 228 Posts
SemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputation
Re: Great falafel/doner place in Zurich, but...

Quote:
View Post
Yasas Siorys,
I've been there.
The guy who works there is nuts, he curses 24/7, it has nothing to do with you.
Next time around you can tell him "Malaka pusti" and when he asks you what that means can tell him it means thank you in Greek.
I can only guess what you imply with "Malaka pusti" but the second word "pusti" is very similar to a Turkish swear word and I would not recommend using it in this case
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank SemAms for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doner Cocktail Sauce jerallie Food and drink 10 16.09.2011 16:13
Where is the best falafel in Zurich? megs Entertainment & dining 15 26.01.2008 10:15
A Great Place To Get Married In Central Switzerland! larrylizzard Other/general 5 06.09.2007 12:39
Work in Hinwil but want to be near Zurich - best place to live? Leese Housing in general 10 12.07.2007 17:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0