Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 21.01.2012, 23:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
I go skiing every weekend and every Friday as well (my school has ski Fridays). Just was hoping me snow would stay. Each snow event we had gave us a nice amount 10 cm or more, but it was ALWAYS followed by a day of super warm temperatures and pouring rain, and that is at 1083 m. My thermo says its 10 out. That is WARM for mid January at nearly 11 at night is it not?
It's 3 degrees right not at 1500m in Verbier, not good news, hopefully Mont Fort will open tomorrow as it should be below freezing there.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 22.01.2012, 00:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 853
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,389 Times in 527 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
Well, considering I grew up skiing on ice (New England), any kind of snow they have here is a refreshing change!
Tom, where did you learn to ski? We've been skiing at Sunday River for the last 9 years - it's where I learned. Will be back there again in February to ski with friends.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.01.2012, 00:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,933
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,570 Times in 2,876 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
I go skiing every weekend and every Friday as well (my school has ski Fridays). Just was hoping me snow would stay. Each snow event we had gave us a nice amount 10 cm or more, but it was ALWAYS followed by a day of super warm temperatures and pouring rain, and that is at 1083 m. My thermo says its 10 out. That is WARM for mid January at nearly 11 at night is it not?
It's quite warm, yes. But then it was -10° here two days ago. Having moved from the centre of town to a more open area, the thing that is doing my head in is the constant wind, the rattling noise and shaking building lose their charm after 48 hours of it. And I usually LOVE wind. Ah well, it will pass.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22.01.2012, 00:17
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
It's quite warm, yes. But then it was -10° here two days ago. Having moved from the centre of town to a more open area, the thing that is doing my head in is the constant wind, the rattling noise and shaking building lose their charm after 48 hours of it. And I usually LOVE wind. Ah well, it will pass.
I thought all Swiss apartments had windows that were totally windproof, unlike the 100 year single glazed windows common in London.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 22.01.2012, 00:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,933
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,570 Times in 2,876 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
I thought all Swiss apartments had windows that were totally windproof, unlike the 100 year single glazed windows common in London.
I alledgedly live in a Minergie standard house - the constant draft I'm feeling says otherwise. I suspect the building company paid more money for the plaque at the entrance than the actual "Minergie-ing".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 22.01.2012, 10:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Really wet and soggy at 950m in the Jura - our field and fields around have turned into a lake- which has NEVER happened before. Yuk - hate it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 22.01.2012, 11:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

This is my 15th winter in Switzerland (5 on the right coast, 10 on the Dark Side), and I can honestly say that no two have been alike.

Some years we have our first snowfall in October, some in January. But the trend in the last 5 years or so seems to be as the OP mentions - short snows followed by a thaw. Or as we Schwyzers call it 'Mud Season Redux'.

This year is particularly... muddy.

My winter clothing hasn't even come out of storage - still wearing the rain gear and wellies.

My garden is a swamp; all the rain while the grass is dormant means that the lawn is pretty much destroyed. Hopefully we'll have a warm dry spring so I can re-seed early.

The spring bulbs started up in November, the primula and forsythia are now threatening to bloom. And the roses and raspberries never stopped. My fruit trees have been completely confused since last summer's hail storms destroyed the crop - they re-started in August, and tried to put out blooms/fruit in October.

I'm not sure what to plant when anymore.

The hedgehogs have woken up. I'm keeping an eye on the little guys - as much as I want real winter back, I'd hate for them to get caught out, as they are my only hope against the coming slug plague.

Everything is indeed topsy-turvy.

I probably should just throw in the towel and switch to planting for a warmer climate. Which of course would guarantee that Old Man Winter would return with a vengance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 22.01.2012, 14:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 580 Times in 488 Posts
Thanked 20,899 Times in 10,981 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
This is my 15th winter in Switzerland (5 on the right coast, 10 on the Dark Side), and I can honestly say that no two have been alike.

Some years we have our first snowfall in October, some in January. But the trend in the last 5 years or so seems to be as the OP mentions - short snows followed by a thaw. Or as we Schwyzers call it 'Mud Season Redux'.

This year is particularly... muddy.

My winter clothing hasn't even come out of storage - still wearing the rain gear and wellies.

My garden is a swamp; all the rain while the grass is dormant means that the lawn is pretty much destroyed. Hopefully we'll have a warm dry spring so I can re-seed early.

The spring bulbs started up in November, the primula and forsythia are now threatening to bloom. And the roses and raspberries never stopped. My fruit trees have been completely confused since last summer's hail storms destroyed the crop - they re-started in August, and tried to put out blooms/fruit in October.

I'm not sure what to plant when anymore.

The hedgehogs have woken up. I'm keeping an eye on the little guys - as much as I want real winter back, I'd hate for them to get caught out, as they are my only hope against the coming slug plague.

Everything is indeed topsy-turvy.

I probably should just throw in the towel and switch to planting for a warmer climate. Which of course would guarantee that Old Man Winter would return with a vengance.
Geraniums on my balcony are still in flower
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 22.01.2012, 19:53
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

I skied at Grindelwald today and my wife took a private lesson. The ski instructor said that the skiing above 1800 meters has been very good (even though the start was a month late) He did say that below 1800 meters it has been the worst winter he has ever seen. It will snow heaps and then rain. Each time he said the rain line has been around 1700 to 1800 meters. The pistes below middle station are ice and slush. He said many of the resorts are very afraid that these horrible winters are the norm now. It was very interesting to hear a ski professionals point of view. Maybe things will change, but it was 12 in the sun at Wengen today, so maybe not
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 22.01.2012, 21:59
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,313
Groaned at 160 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 8,353 Times in 3,094 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Holding post for complaints about it being too hot in summer and it being the fault of the Swiss.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 23.01.2012, 00:36
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
It's quite warm, yes. But then it was -10° here two days ago. Having moved from the centre of town to a more open area, the thing that is doing my head in is the constant wind, the rattling noise and shaking building lose their charm after 48 hours of it. And I usually LOVE wind. Ah well, it will pass.
I don't know where you lived before moving to "suburbia". What I can say is that the Glattbrugg area is NOT windier than the Wollishofen-Adliswil-area. The higher-up part of Adliswil had more snow but less wind than Wollishofen, while Glattbrugg rather is like Wollishofen except having more sun as the Uetliberg-Albis is a bit farther away !

Quote:
View Post
I thought all Swiss apartments had windows that were totally windproof, unlike the 100 year single glazed windows common in London.
London ? I still remember my room in that "hotel" for three months, where I with the windows closed had as much fresh air as at home with the windows half open But totally windproof ? That may be so in the Emirate of Zug but not in the country in general

Quote:
View Post
I alledgedly live in a Minergie standard house - the constant draft I'm feeling says otherwise. I suspect the building company paid more money for the plaque at the entrance than the actual "Minergie-ing".

Here it is not "Minergie" but simply a standard "Rendite-Hütte" of the 1960ies with some 22 or 24 flats and some 12 nationalities and some 3 or 4 races. While I in other places was a bit with the "darkies" I now, together with an Armenian and some Portuguese and Italians, am "average" which is a nice change

Last edited by Guest; 23.01.2012 at 01:34. Reason: Multiquote
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 23.01.2012, 00:58
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Spoke to my dad back home, -29 and 3 foot of snow in the forest. I am having the best winter of my life, 16 degrees today and sun everyday.

I hate snow.

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 23.01.2012, 01:24
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,335
Groaned at 173 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
I don't know where you lived before moving to "suburbia". What I can say is that the Glattbrugg area is NOT windier than the Wollishofen-Adliswil-area. The higher-up part of Adliswil had more snow but less wind than Wollishofen, while Glattbrugg rather is like Wollishofen except having more sun as the Uetliberg-Albis is a bit farther away !
Adliswil has been rather sloppy this winter- certainly different from what we were led to expect (read: much, much milder). The wind has only been truly bad a few times, but usually only when it is raining/snowing (more of the former, less of the latter). In spite of this, we've still had some beautiful snow-covered hikes up and around the Felsenegg. Also, the snow runoff babbling it's way downhill is a very relaxing sound to me on my trips down to the S4 stations.
Just find the silver lining to these clouds and it'll be alright.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 23.01.2012, 01:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
... While I in other places was a bit with the "darkies" I now, together with an Armenian and some Portuguese and Italians, am "average" which is a nice change
"Darkies"?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 23.01.2012, 02:24
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
"Darkies"?
Well, the nickname(s) a Turkish schoolfiend and me had in Secondary School. We detested it but could not do anything about it ...............
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 23.01.2012, 14:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,608
Groaned at 21 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,712 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
To everyone who thinks I hate it here, you have it all wrong. I LOVE it here. Part of being in a community is questioning why things are done. It's called inquiring.
Inquiring about the weather is probably best done with mother nature, unfortuantely I do not have her phone number.

Alternatively, you can try Meteosuisse, maybe you can try to question them about why they do the weather like this.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 25.01.2012, 14:41
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Weather this Season

FINALLY.....it snowed last night, 20 cm and today is cold and not rainy. The snow will stay and I can now take my daughter sledging. See what happens if you rant a bit!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 25.01.2012, 15:46
ticino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 862
Groaned at 36 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 398 Times in 224 Posts
ticino is considered knowledgeableticino is considered knowledgeableticino is considered knowledgeable
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Quote:
View Post
I skied at Grindelwald today and my wife took a private lesson. The ski instructor said that the skiing above 1800 meters has been very good (even though the start was a month late) He did say that below 1800 meters it has been the worst winter he has ever seen. It will snow heaps and then rain. Each time he said the rain line has been around 1700 to 1800 meters. The pistes below middle station are ice and slush. He said many of the resorts are very afraid that these horrible winters are the norm now. It was very interesting to hear a ski professionals point of view. Maybe things will change, but it was 12 in the sun at Wengen today, so maybe not
go skiing in Austria ;-). Lech has up to 4.5m of snow right now.... http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/e...623/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 25.01.2012, 16:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 41
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
ogoelena has no particular reputation at present
Re: Winter Weather this Season

Spoke to my dad at home too and apparently, it thawed up a bit over there lately, it's just -23C now I don't miss the frost, +10C is good. Especially when a short drive can take you to heaps of snow up the mountains - we are lucky to have the choices here..

Quote:
View Post
Spoke to my dad back home, -29 and 3 foot of snow in the forest. I am having the best winter of my life, 16 degrees today and sun everyday.

I hate snow.

Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tennis lessons during summer and winter season! jacek Commercial 134 09.05.2020 18:04
Interlaken for the winter season Eddiebleek Introductions 0 22.11.2010 13:30
Winter Season Pass for Central Switzerland cyrus Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 12.11.2008 21:19
What I can do during this long weekend with this bad weather? Jmavatar Travel/day trips/free time 7 23.03.2008 20:44
Winter Weather (or lack of it) Psyk Daily life 15 21.02.2007 21:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0