Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:20
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Ehmm, hypocrite much?


How to complain to Coop central?


I must have taken my ginko that day...
I said backwoods, not backwards...it's too different things buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:22
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I said backwoods, not backwards...it's too different things buddy.
Yeah, yeah all of a sudden...Mr. Backwoods.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:24
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, yeah all of a sudden...Mr. Backwoods.
?.............
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:25
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
?.............
.............
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:28
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
.............
I rather ask you what you meant by that....
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:29
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I rather ask you what you meant by that....
I don't know, what did you mean by it?
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:31
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I don't know, what did you mean by it?
Well if you are calling me backwoods because I sound like a country boy mentality that's one thing, if you are calling me a liar it's another.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:35
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I think native speaking english is a bit of a matter of an opinion.
Let's just be clear, and this has no bias in it, that the definition of a Native English speaker is one who is born and raised in English as their primary form of communication. Even if I was born in the US to English speaking parents and at age 3, was shipped to CH and learned Swiss German I would, by definition, still be a native English speaker. This is black and white....no opinions about it.

Last edited by jerallie; 21.03.2012 at 21:46.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:39
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Let's just be clear, and this has bias in it, that the definition of a Native English speaker is one who is born and raised in English as their primary form of communication. Even if I was born in the US to English speaking parents and at age 3, was shipped to CH and learned Swiss German I would, by definition, still be a native English speaker. This is black and white....no opinions about it.
Well if that is the case all those jobs I have applied for before in CH that native german speakers they were looking for, and gave me the job, you need to talk to them.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:45
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post

Swiss passport holders should have more of a right to change their country then people staying here temporarily, or am I missing something?
Coming from a country like the US, many of us (certainly not all) understand that our country was built on non-Americans coming here from their homelands and inputting their ideas, culture and influence. So many reforms to the way the US is run and organized had major influence from people who were and are not Americans. We have politicians who were born outside the US and hold second passports. Americans revel in taking a part in other cultures (despite the reputation to the contrary) that have made them what they are today. From the food, to the festivals to daily life...much of it has come from "people off the boat" and literally I might add. So when Americans go abroad with the knowledge of how much opinions and influences of other cultures helped build their country, they often want to contribute themselves. I know that I owe the way I was raised and the quality of life I had to millions of European immigrants who came here to start a new life and brought with them great new ideas and traditions. So is it really that wrong to want to make the same kind of impact?
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,468 Times in 1,785 Posts
Thanked 39,343 Times in 18,544 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
apart from the compulsory military service and voting, what do citizens do more of to contribute to CH than foriegn born residents?
VOTE!

Tom

...
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:50
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Coming from a country like the US, many of us (certainly not all) understand that our country was built on non-Americans coming here from their homelands and inputting their ideas, culture and influence. So many reforms to the way the US is run and organized had major influence from people who were and are not Americans. We have politicians who were born outside the US and hold second passports. Americans revel in taking a part in other cultures (despite the reputation to the contrary) that have made them what they are today. From the food, to the festivals to daily life...much of it has come from "people off the boat" and literally I might add. So when Americans go abroad with the knowledge of how much opinions and influences of other cultures helped build their country, they often want to contribute themselves. I know that I owe the way I was raised and the quality of life I had to millions of European immigrants who came here to start a new life and brought with them great new ideas and traditions. So is it really that wrong to want to make the same kind of impact?
While that is a beautiful altruistic view of the US, that's giving a bit of a vague perception of what really happened. Pretty sounding though. Never mind all that segregation up until the late 60's.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #253  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:51
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,468 Times in 1,785 Posts
Thanked 39,343 Times in 18,544 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I lived in rural SZ and everyone ate sandwiches for lunch. However, they did find a way to buy them before noon closing hours.
Well, up north , I worked at a big company with it's own food service, and "lunch" was a multi-course meal.

Her, either one goes home for lunch, goes to a restaurant for the CHF15 meal of the day, or makes a multi-course lunch in the kitchen at work.

People eat sandwiches, but only at the morning of afternoon coffee breaks.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:53
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Well, up north , I worked at a big company with it's own food service, and "lunch" was a multi-course meal.

Her, either one goes home for lunch, goes to a restaurant for the CHF15 meal of the day, or makes a multi-course lunch in the kitchen at work.

People eat sandwiches, but only at the morning of afternoon coffee breaks.

Tom
Well I think what you just said is true in companies with canteens. But the average laborer either goes for comfort food/bulky warm lunch or a sandwich and a Red Bull.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 21.03.2012, 21:59
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,468 Times in 1,785 Posts
Thanked 39,343 Times in 18,544 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Coming from a country like the US, many of us (certainly not all) understand that our country was built on non-Americans coming here from their homelands and inputting their ideas, culture and influence. So many reforms to the way the US is run and organized had major influence from people who were and are not Americans. We have politicians who were born outside the US and hold second passports. Americans revel in taking a part in other cultures (despite the reputation to the contrary) that have made them what they are today. From the food, to the festivals to daily life...much of it has come from "people off the boat" and literally I might add. So when Americans go abroad with the knowledge of how much opinions and influences of other cultures helped build their country, they often want to contribute themselves. I know that I owe the way I was raised and the quality of life I had to millions of European immigrants who came here to start a new life and brought with them great new ideas and traditions. So is it really that wrong to want to make the same kind of impact?
None of MY US ancestors were interested in Sunday (or evening) shopping, meat on Fridays, etc.!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 21.03.2012, 22:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Well, up north , I worked at a big company with it's own food service, and "lunch" was a multi-course meal.

Her, either one goes home for lunch, goes to a restaurant for the CHF15 meal of the day, or makes a multi-course lunch in the kitchen at work.

People eat sandwiches, but only at the morning of afternoon coffee breaks.

Tom

Same here - home or one of the local restaus- but it's a lot more expensive here for the 'menu du jour' - 16CHF - I suppose you can't get a sandwich and Red Bull for that in Zurich or Geneva
Nobody would be seen dead here having a sandwich for lunch.

I've seen the UK being 'improved' - cloned or half dead town centres and large out of town Mall style shopping centres. I've seen kids being dragged around for hours late at night in 24hr Tesco, screaming, or half asleep with a bottle of milk stuck in their mouths, older kids 'shopping' with parents at midnight on a school day. I've also seen the rubbish they eat at secondary school - a plate of chips with a chocolate bun and a fluorescent green drink. 'Improvement' is not always better, that is for sure. I've been to huge stores in out of town shopping malls in the US, the fluorescent pink and green cakes full of god knows what - and I have to say I prefer Swiss bakeries- and prefer to see kids around here getting a good balanced meal with their family at lunch-time, including the butcher's, baker's and grocer's family.

People should have the choice- and they have chosen. The answer is 'no'- it is not up to expats to decide otherwise, even if they pay their taxes. Those who want things to change to what they are used to, have mostly no intention of staying anyway. Those who get settled in, take time to learn the language and adapt- usually do stay longer, and mostly like things as they are. I am all for positive change, and taking the best of our guest cultures- but not all change is for the better, I'm afraid. Obesity in kids is practically unknown, for instance- very different to the US and even recent UK.

Last edited by Odile; 21.03.2012 at 23:14.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #257  
Old 21.03.2012, 22:03
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,468 Times in 1,785 Posts
Thanked 39,343 Times in 18,544 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Well I think what you just said is true in companies with canteens. But the average laborer either goes for comfort food/bulky warm lunch or a sandwich and a Red Bull.
We are a company of 25, perhaps big for our village, but hardly large scale!

Even my daughter only eats a sandwich once a week at best, other days she takes pasta, burritos, lasagna, capuns, pizzocheri, etc. to work for lunch!

Tom

P.S. The people who DON'T go home for lunch are invariably single, or live more than 1/2 hour away. They make full use of the kitchen, none eats a sandwich for lunch.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 21.03.2012, 22:04
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Never mind all that segregation up until the late 60's.
Is the deep south a part of the US?
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 21.03.2012, 22:07
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Is the deep south a part of the US?
Should we just end this thread here and start a geography one or do you really want to continue?

And if I really have to, segregation was all over the US, Detroit included.
In fact Detroit today is the most segregated city in the US. Yes the legacy goes on.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 21.03.2012, 22:12
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,468 Times in 1,785 Posts
Thanked 39,343 Times in 18,544 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!!

You want a quick, small, nutritious lunch?

It's called a BEER!

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lunch at Tibits Swiss Cynic Social events 0 18.08.2011 14:00
G&T at Lunch Time ximix Food and drink 34 12.12.2010 23:59
Traditional Sunday Lunch at Paddy Reilly's! Big Mac #24 Entertainment & dining 16 30.10.2010 16:12
Lunch at Roche Basel ellena Other/general 2 24.08.2010 22:51
Friday Lunch at Pickwicks in Zug terryhall Social events 13 15.11.2007 18:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0