English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   Babyjoe.ch beware! (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/146202-babyjoe-ch-beware.html)

kri 14.05.2012 10:59

Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Pasting an email I wrote to the owner this morning....

Hope this helps other users not fall for them :( Good prices maybe but defintiely bad handling for clients and it is not the first time :(

********************

Dear Mr x

we havebeen in contact in the past for problems with orders with Babyjoe and I was sadto discover things obviously have not improved.

Over 4weeks ago I placed an order where 2 items were highlighted as having a 2 weeksdelivery time. I promptly made my payment and waited…. And waited… and waited….

4 weekslater I wrote an email to know the status of my order. No reply. I phone a fewtimes. No reply, not even an answer machine.

I finallywrote to Mrs x personally since I still had her address and the reply wassimply “The things are not there shall I cancel your order?”

Myquestions to you are:

1)How canit be that you do not update your clients if their orders cannot be fulfilled?

2) How canit be that you do not even apologize to them for the discomfort caused?

3) How canit be you do not even offer solutions? (i.e. maybe we can send you what we havealready and the rest later?)

4) How canit be you have not updated your site to indicate the issues with theseproducts? You simply also let other clients order and wait and wait? Why arethe products still outlined as “2 weeks” when you do not even know when Maclarenwill deliver?


Lastly, Imade a “Bewertung” for the products (naturally a bad one) which was deleted…. Thisis so unfair and intrasparent towards all your clients that it has left mespeechless.

I wantedyou to be aware of what is going on because I still have a small hope you maywish to make things better, even though given my experience I sadly think thisis the culture and management the company wants to drive.

I hope tonow receive the remainder of my Bestellung with no further issue and a promptreimbursement of the money you owe me.



Kindregards,



africansun 14.05.2012 11:36

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Thats a pity for you...quite frustrating. I have used them for over 2 years for a number of products and have never had a late delivery of an order and have found them very professional(had forgotten a payment and they were very professional about it). Suppose these things can happen. Good luck

Sinéad 14.05.2012 13:17

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Thank you for sharing this. I also ordered a Maclaren buggy 2 weeks ago from them. The delivery time was 2-3 weeks and I have still not heard anything despite having written an email to them on Thursday to ask for a delivery date. I am now worried I won't have my buggy for going on holiday at the beginning of June!

WelshBoyo 14.05.2012 13:23

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Just like africansun I have found them excellent and very helpful when getting new items not previously sold in Switzerland, but then this was over 3 months ago.

Sinéad 14.05.2012 13:39

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I just rang Babyjoe and the man I spoke to was very helpful. He said that they expected the buggy to be delivered to them within the next few days and that I should ring again at the end of the week for the delivery status if I hadn't heard from them in the meantime. I am now hopeful that I will have the buggy for my holiday.

kri 14.05.2012 14:32

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I know people have different experiences and I probably was unlucky, but no matter what, deleting the "bad" evaluations is just not on! This makes it not transparent for the clients who do not have a balanced view on how the customers feel about a certain shop :(

K

kri 14.05.2012 14:40

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinéad (Post 1559259)
I just rang Babyjoe and the man I spoke to was very helpful. He said that they expected the buggy to be delivered to them within the next few days and that I should ring again at the end of the week for the delivery status if I hadn't heard from them in the meantime. I am now hopeful that I will have the buggy for my holiday.


I hope for you it works. My contact said they had not idea when Maclaren products (not buggy, I ordered some accesories) would be delivered....

So I would stay close to it if I were you, especially if you have a close deadline!

K

MathNut 14.05.2012 14:56

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kri (Post 1559303)
I know people have different experiences and I probably was unlucky, but no matter what, deleting the "bad" evaluations is just not on! This makes it not transparent for the clients who do not have a balanced view on how the customers feel about a certain shop :(

K

Maybe I missed something. Did you post your comments as a review of the shop, or of the products?

If there was a place to add reviews of the shop in general (i.e. not on the page of any one product) and they deleted negative reviews from that page then I'd agree, that's pretty unpleasant.

If you added them to a product review page then I can sort of see why they got deleted. 1-star product reviews ought to be things like "this broke the second time I used it". If you never received the product in the first place, then you can't really write a review of it, right? Whatever the problem is in your case, it's not the product's fault and so slagging off the product to other buyers does seem a bit unfair.

Either way, fingers crossed you can get it all straightened out.

kri 14.05.2012 15:10

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MathNut (Post 1559337)
Maybe I missed something. Did you post your comments as a review of the shop, or of the products?

If there was a place to add reviews of the shop in general (i.e. not on the page of any one product) and they deleted negative reviews from that page then I'd agree, that's pretty unpleasant.

If you added them to a product review page then I can sort of see why they got deleted. 1-star product reviews ought to be things like "this broke the second time I used it". If you never received the product in the first place, then you can't really write a review of it, right? Whatever the problem is in your case, it's not the product's fault and so slagging off the product to other buyers does seem a bit unfair.

Either way, fingers crossed you can get it all straightened out.

Fully get your point but if said product is still marked as "deliverable in 2 weeks" when in fact they admit to not knowing at all when it will come, I think it is acceptable to mark it down. What do you think?

In general I also think deleting the review without informing the client is not on anyway.

And of course there are many positive review praising the delivery system which are left there, so one side logic applied.

I have come ot the conclusion they are a great shop when all goes smoothly but unable to handle any bump on the road...

I do believe my stuff will arrive now that I have downsized the order, I am still left with needing to run around town to find the remaining things.... but that is life...

:)

Just wanted to share my experience!
K

kri 16.05.2012 15:58

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Update: on Monday I was told my delivery was planned to be sent on Tuesday and that I would receive an email confirming it was sent.

needless to say, no email was received and my order still shows as "Not yet sent" on their homepage.

I wrote last night asking for a further update. Still no reply and order still displaying same status.

:msnmad:

:msncrazy:

Am really annoyed and disappointed now and no matter how good their prices are, my health is just more important and my time also valuable so I vouch never to order from them again.

K

fatmanfilms 16.05.2012 16:24

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kri (Post 1559303)
I know people have different experiences and I probably was unlucky, but no matter what, deleting the "bad" evaluations is just not on! This makes it not transparent for the clients who do not have a balanced view on how the customers feel about a certain shop :(

K

You had not received any product, so how could you give a bad evaluation?

kri 16.05.2012 22:36

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 1561410)
You had not received any product, so how could you give a bad evaluation?

I gave an evaluation on the fact that the product was (and still is) described as having a 2 weeks delivery time when in fact after 4 weeks they still had no idea when the product would come.

I already answered a similar question above, since you are intereste (or you would not have asked) you can read full reply.

Cheers,

K

suissa 17.05.2012 00:58

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I think it is perfectly right to write a bad review about a product if there are problems with the delivery, since you pay the corresponding delivery service with the ítem price. Kri pays a price for product delivered, why then question her complain for not receiving what she pays for?

I was a bit annoyed by Kri publishing the complain here if she had already written the company boss, until I heard that they delete negative comments without notice!! I am astonished! :eek: no wonder that she seeks other ways to spread her discomfort, that is a no-no.

I had very good references about babyjoe, heard there are mistakes at the delivery but that employees try to solve them quick. But after reading all these other problems with sending the items and stock control I was wondering whether the boss should not review his company's logistics department, it seems he would save a lot with a better delivery process, don t you think? He might like to read all this thread, actually, Kri.

kri 17.05.2012 13:23

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Thanks Suiissa!

Exactly how I feel!

The boss has in fact not even deigned an answer...

I am truly astonished because if I were a company boss and received such an email, the first thing I woulkd do is get in touch and say "I am sorry you have been left feeling this way, what can we do to sort it?"

Then you can investigate and understand whether the client is a crazy bunny or someone who is right... Afterall, in this age and information systems you want happy clients!!!

I finally got the delivery confirmation mail last night, so let's see. When I last ordered from them (2yrs ago) I had gotten the email but products had never left their warehous...

I will keep you posted!

And Suissa, I must admit I am satsfied that when googling babyjoe this thred now comes up, this will at least let people know that things sometimes go wrong.

As I said, I think their products are greaz and as long as all is smooth, it works ouit but they are obviously unable to deal with any bumps on the road with even the most basic customer skills!

K

NewOneINseefeld 17.05.2012 13:33

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I had a similar experience with Vertbaudet.ch :msncrazy:

Stu&Kara 17.05.2012 14:28

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
We have used babyjoe.ch and have mixed feedback. We placed an order for 4 or 5 items all marked as in stock. All but one of the items were sent fairly promptly. However, the other item (which was marked as in stock) was not sent. The first we knew about this was a note when the other products were delivered saying "for later delivery". There was no indication of delivery time.

I called them and they told me that they were expecting stock in 2-3 days, so we would have it in 5 days. 5 days elapsed, no product. I called again, they told me that they were still waiting for stock and it would take another week. I reminded them that they said the product was in stock when I ordered it. They said I would be the first person to receive it when it came back in stock. This basically went on for weeks until 6 weeks later we received the goods.

So, they were pretty good with some of the products but they let themselves down massively by claiming to have something in stock which they did not have, then repeatedly promising to deliver it when that was clearly not possible. However, this is not exclusive to babyjoe, i've used several Swiss online shops who claim to have stock but actually don't.

Sinéad 18.05.2012 16:45

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I just received an email from Babyjoe to say that my buggy has been sent. I worried unnecessarily! They have delivered on time and I am really pleased. I would definitely buy from Babyjoe again.

kri 18.05.2012 22:35

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
To complete my story, I finally received my order.

I still stand on my ground that I will not order from them again as too much hassle and I know I would just be worried since I have had 2 bad experiences now (out of 3 orders)

Will let you know in case company owner ever gets in touch, to ensure you have the full perspective.

Cheers,

Cristina

kri 25.05.2012 16:43

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I can now confirm that Babyjoe is a company that deletes products evaluations and I am truly disappointed and disgusted by this lack of transparency.

I evaluated this product (after receiving it) with a 2 star:

http://www.babyjoe.ch/shop/oxid.php/...isttype/search

I mentioned the product is too thin for airline travel and could simply be used for protection against dirt and dust.

This got deleted!!!!

So that is why all their products are well rated, they delete the rest!!!!

:msnmad:

K

Wollishofener 26.05.2012 11:44

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kri (Post 1567575)
I can now confirm that Babyjoe is a company that deletes products evaluations and I am truly disappointed and disgusted by this lack of transparency.

I evaluated this product (after receiving it) with a 2 star:

http://www.babyjoe.ch/shop/oxid.php/...isttype/search

I mentioned the product is too thin for airline travel and could simply be used for protection against dirt and dust.

This got deleted!!!!

So that is why all their products are well rated, they delete the rest!!!!

:msnmad:

K

So that they do what is the NORM in industry ! To delete negative inputs and so have a nice "rating" :D do you really believe in the scrap elsewhere ?

kri 26.05.2012 13:16

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1567929)
So that they do what is the NORM in industry ! To delete negative inputs and so have a nice "rating" :D do you really believe in the scrap elsewhere ?

Guess i am naive :-(

amch 26.05.2012 18:41

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I had a very good experience with Babyjoe just this past week. I ordered a babygate, received order confirmation right away, shipping confirmation in 4 days and actual shipment was delivered within a week. Easy and reasonably priced.

Wollishofener 28.05.2012 09:41

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amch (Post 1568068)
I had a very good experience with Babyjoe just this past week. I ordered a babygate, received order confirmation right away, shipping confirmation in 4 days and actual shipment was delivered within a week. Easy and reasonably priced.

Another proof of the fact that things in any company can go right and wrong. It is obvious that if something starts to go wrong it will continue to go wrong or even deteriorate

If you, in whatever function, manage to get a problem under control, you will get the respect of the customer. Things often do not depend on the companies as a whole but on the singple person(s) in charge

suissa 01.06.2012 21:21

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1567929)
So that they do what is the NORM in industry ! To delete negative inputs and so have a nice "rating" :D do you really believe in the scrap elsewhere ?

Not all web shops are the same, I assure you that bad reputation spreads quickly. Do you think that sites such as Amazon, eBay or trip advisor would have reached critical mass of customers by telling lies or hiding bad ratings?

Kirsty8134 01.06.2012 22:37

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I also recently had good experience with an order for a buggy board placed through Babyjoe.ch. Very timely responses and delivery.

Yurona 18.10.2012 11:11

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I.'m currently waiting for an item ordered more than 4 weeks ago ( item was marked " in stock"). No replies to my emails......

TheMorgans 26.10.2012 11:55

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yurona (Post 1691645)
I.'m currently waiting for an item ordered more than 4 weeks ago ( item was marked " in stock"). No replies to my emails......

We had a really terrible experience with Babyjoe and I thought I might share it with you :)

8 weeks ago, we ordered a pram from Babyjoe and paid in advance. (It's not a small amount of money... but since it worked perfectly fine with 4mybaby several times, so we thought the same would apply to Babyjoe)

So the pram is supposed to ship within 3-5 Working days...

We waited 2 weeks before calling them, since we didn't get any notice or the pram. I told the hotline, what was going on and the guy hung up on me. After this, nobody would pick up the phone. It took me a whole day to reach someone from Babyjoe again. Then they said that they don't have the pram and that I could cancel the order.

I suggested that they'd send me an E-mail with the cancellation confirmation. Another 2 days of calling and I received the E-mail, yay!

In the E-mail it says that I should give them my account details, so that they'd refund the amount.

Now, 5 week later, still no money in sight.

Now, we've informed the police in Wil (St. Gallen) and the Betreibungsamt.

Yurona 28.10.2012 14:28

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
U'm also still waitign for my order - didn't pay in advance though, and its not essential stuff, so I'm annoyed ( and certainly will never use them again), but otherwise not too bothered.

ElggDK 28.10.2012 14:38

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I have said it before and will gladly repeat it again....NEVER NEVER NEVER pay in advance.....NEVER.

Take your business elsewhere. There is always another supplier.


Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMorgans (Post 1697704)
We had a really terrible experience with Babyjoe and I thought I might share it with you :)

8 weeks ago, we ordered a pram from Babyjoe and paid in advance. (It's not a small amount of money... but since it worked perfectly fine with 4mybaby several times, so we thought the same would apply to Babyjoe)

So the pram is supposed to ship within 3-5 Working days...

We waited 2 weeks before calling them, since we didn't get any notice or the pram. I told the hotline, what was going on and the guy hung up on me. After this, nobody would pick up the phone. It took me a whole day to reach someone from Babyjoe again. Then they said that they don't have the pram and that I could cancel the order.

I suggested that they'd send me an E-mail with the cancellation confirmation. Another 2 days of calling and I received the E-mail, yay!

In the E-mail it says that I should give them my account details, so that they'd refund the amount.

Now, 5 week later, still no money in sight.

Now, we've informed the police in Wil (St. Gallen) and the Betreibungsamt.


TheMorgans 28.10.2012 14:53

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElggDK (Post 1699245)
I have said it before and will gladly repeat it again....NEVER NEVER NEVER pay in advance.....NEVER.

Take your business elsewhere. There is always another supplier.

Lesson learnt, and yes fortunately there are more shops around... BUT: We thought it doesn't hurt if more people know about their practices.

ElggDK 28.10.2012 15:25

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMorgans (Post 1699251)
Lesson learnt, and yes fortunately there are more shops around... BUT: We thought it doesn't hurt if more people know about their practices.

I appreciate your concern.

In Denmark web-shops can get a certain official quality approval (quality in terms of business moral) and if you apply and get approved for this approval, you are not allowed to offer your customers to pay up front. Too much protection to my taste but normally rules are not establish without a course so apparently a lot of businesses have received pay and not delivered over the years.

annas 27.11.2012 13:12

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
I am waiting for my money to be paid back far too long, after the delayed too much a delivery that I had to cancel the order.
If anyone knows what can I actually do to speed the process, I would very much appreciate. Did it actually help to call the police or the Betreibungsamt?

kri 27.11.2012 15:04

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by annas (Post 1729198)
I am waiting for my money to be paid back far too long, after the delayed too much a delivery that I had to cancel the order.
If anyone knows what can I actually do to speed the process, I would very much appreciate. Did it actually help to call the police or the Betreibungsamt?

How long have you waited? If it is not a big amaount and less than 30 days I would just wait.

They are obviously really crap and going down the drain....

Guess it is a matter of time before they shut

rob1 27.11.2012 15:08

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by annas (Post 1729198)
I am waiting for my money to be paid back far too long, after the delayed too much a delivery that I had to cancel the order.
If anyone knows what can I actually do to speed the process, I would very much appreciate. Did it actually help to call the police or the Betreibungsamt?

send them a mail saying you want an instant refund or you will issue a betribung, wait 2 or 3 days and then do it.

miss_bean 01.10.2013 21:53

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Hi
Just wanted to share my positive feedback about babyjoe
ordered the dondolo hängematte from them, ordered it on sunday evening, And was positively surprised to get my courier today (Tuesday afternoon)
Probably they have improved or may be I was plain lucky!

TheMorgans 18.11.2013 20:44

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Sorry for the late reply, life with a baby is a bit insane :)

We got our money back in the end, however, only AFTER I've issued a Betreibung and a complaint at the police. The officer was familiar with the practice of this company, stating that if you pay in advance, they simply do not deliver.

We had to wait 8 weeks for the mess to be sorted out.

However, if you simply order and click "Auf Rechnung", then it should be straight forward, because they want you to pay their bill...

So, we'll never order from this shop again and will share our experience with everyone we know and don't know :rolleyes:

Harrie Nak 11.01.2015 08:37

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Bumping an old thread as it seems Babjoe still hasn't got their sh*t together.

Bought and instantly paid a grand worth of baby furniture a week ago, but have yet to hear back (even after asking about the status).
The stuff was listed as being in stock, however now is listed as having a 4-6 weeks delivery time. It better be because of my order...

PS: Even though they advertise offering buying on account, I did not have this option when ordering. Maybe that's because I chose to order without creating an account on their website.

Mrs. Doolittle 11.01.2015 15:16

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Maybe if you read this thread first, you may have thought twice about ordering from them.

Hope you are able to resolve the problem.

Harrie Nak 11.01.2015 17:02

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Doolittle (Post 2316374)
Maybe if you read this thread first, you may have thought twice about ordering from them.

Hope you are able to resolve the problem.

No shit?

I was naive enough to follow colleague's advices to order there, without trying to first dig up a 2.5 year old thread and decide otherwise.

Google cache still shows the items were listed as in stock when I ordered (which I made a screenshot of / will print out).
I'll give them till the end of the month to come up with the goods or my money, before I will file a Betreibung.

Harrie Nak 21.01.2015 13:24

Re: Babyjoe.ch beware!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrie Nak (Post 2316042)
Bumping an old thread as it seems Babjoe still hasn't got their sh*t together.

Bought and instantly paid a grand worth of baby furniture a week ago, but have yet to hear back (even after asking about the status).
The stuff was listed as being in stock, however now is listed as having a 4-6 weeks delivery time. It better be because of my order...

PS: Even though they advertise offering buying on account, I did not have this option when ordering. Maybe that's because I chose to order without creating an account on their website.

How wrong I was!

It took me a phone call, but two weeks after my order was paid the goods were delivered. The friendly gentlemen even helped me carry the stuff up!

So to sum things up the only thing that Babyjoe in my opinion should improve is communication (also looking at the fact that I got a "Versandbestätigung" email AFTER my furniture was delivered).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0