Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.06.2012, 22:42
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 209
Groaned at 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 53 Posts
squidmonkey has no particular reputation at present
Stinky Neighbours

I live in Geneva and unluckily for me the downstairs neighbours are a kebab shop. Many times they don't switch their exhaust fans on and my whole apartment smells like kebab and pizza, Doest do to well on the clothes for work.

We went and asked nicely to switch thier exhaust fans on but they refuse saying that it will cost them in electricity. We tell then that we'll contact the building landlord however they say that they cant do anything. Is there a government agency that can fine them?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.06.2012, 22:48
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
I live in Geneva and unluckily for me the downstairs neighbours are a kebab shop. Many times they don't switch their exhaust fans on and my whole apartment smells like kebab and pizza, Doest do to well on the clothes for work.

We went and asked nicely to switch thier exhaust fans on but they refuse saying that it will cost them in electricity. We tell then that we'll contact the building landlord however they say that they cant do anything. Is there a government agency that can fine them?
You have to get the service of a lawyer. Because a lawyer will have to prove the fact of "Belästigung" (major personal disturbance) and make it a legal matter.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.06.2012, 22:59
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich t
Posts: 6,354
Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,964 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

You can try dobbing them into the 'food & hygiene' authorities. That'll really get them going.

Did you try complaining to the landlord ?

Our landlord would probably have a fit if he thought the restaurant weren't doing the right thing - but we live above a fabulous Thai restaurant, and they are very fastidious about the place being exceptionally neat and clean (they wash their outdoor bin every week after it's emptied and leave it to dry properly to minimise the smell)...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.06.2012, 23:20
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 209
Groaned at 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 53 Posts
squidmonkey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Thanks I these posts are great. EF is so great. We will contact the landlord on Monday that we did a little homework and that Geruchs belästigung will be next.

I think a legal threat via the landlord will do the job, and if that doesn't work then I will have to try and recuperate the costs of my bed, lounge, rug, clothes Manchester and legal costs.

Though I would rather just live and let live
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.06.2012, 22:41
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 209
Groaned at 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 53 Posts
squidmonkey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Anyone knows of a good lawyer?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.06.2012, 22:43
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

So I guess the owner wasn't helpful?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.06.2012, 22:47
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,249
Groaned at 82 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 703 Times in 373 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
I live in Geneva and unluckily for me the downstairs neighbours are a kebab shop. Many times they don't switch their exhaust fans on and my whole apartment smells like kebab and pizza, Doest do to well on the clothes for work.

We went and asked nicely to switch thier exhaust fans on but they refuse saying that it will cost them in electricity. We tell then that we'll contact the building landlord however they say that they cant do anything. Is there a government agency that can fine them?
Quote:
View Post
Anyone knows of a good lawyer?
Like a friend here would say "Honey, with that attitude, you'd not find many friends here"...

Why not move? The poor Kebab shop has to close because of you?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.06.2012, 23:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wadenswil
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Herewego has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Wow can't imagine that!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.06.2012, 13:56
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 209
Groaned at 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 53 Posts
squidmonkey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
Like a friend here would say "Honey, with that attitude, you'd not find many friends here"...

Why not move? The poor Kebab shop has to close because of you?
I dont want friends I just want to be able to put my head down on a pillow and not for it to smell like day old pizza

Why not move.. you obviously havent heard of the housing situation in Geneva.

If you read the OP then you would understand that we dont want the Kebab shop to close down.. all we want is for them to switch there f*çkin exhaust fan on

Last edited by squidmonkey; 26.06.2012 at 14:09.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank squidmonkey for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:05
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,099
Groaned at 48 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,145 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
Anyone knows of a good lawyer?
In my experience, there are no good lawyers, there are only expensive lawyers.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:05
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: was Ägeri now Froggeri
Posts: 3,720
Groaned at 191 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,819 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
I dont want friends I just want to be able to put my head down on a pillow and not for it to smell like day old pizzy

Why not move.. you obviously havent heard of the housing situation in Geneva.

If you read the OP then you would understand that we dont want the Kebab shop to close down.. all we want is for them to switch there f*çkin exhaust fan on
Taking place over comercial premisis can always be fraught due to noises or smells. When they are doing things right like Swisspeas example then it's great, sounds like you have the other end of the spectrum sadly. If they are not using the extracts properly (at all) and this is affecting your quality of life then Wolli's answer about going to a lawyer is the only 1 open if they kepab shop wont play ball.

Good luck but FWIW... Kebap smells like Chanel after 6 pints
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:09
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 209
Groaned at 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 53 Posts
squidmonkey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
In my experience, there are no good lawyers, there are only expensive lawyers.
If I have a very strong case and the loser has to pay legal fees then I'll take the most expensive lawyer out there
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank squidmonkey for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:05
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 813
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 667 Times in 325 Posts
Jack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
If I have a very strong case and the loser has to pay legal fees then I'll take the most expensive lawyer out there
Ther's bound to be more than a few blood sucking Lawyers out there that would fight tooth and nail for this kind of attitude from clients to flourish!!!


Guarranteed if they have their exhaust fan off then they deserve what should be comming their way!!! That cannot be legal practice IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:24
VocalID's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Finsterhennen BE
Posts: 211
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 104 Times in 65 Posts
VocalID has earned some respectVocalID has earned some respect
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
You can try dobbing them into the 'food & hygiene' authorities. That'll really get them going.

Did you try complaining to the landlord ?

Our landlord would probably have a fit if he thought the restaurant weren't doing the right thing - but we live above a fabulous Thai restaurant, and they are very fastidious about the place being exceptionally neat and clean (they wash their outdoor bin every week after it's emptied and leave it to dry properly to minimise the smell)...
Care to share the name of this Thai restaurant? sounds like a good place to eat
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11.08.2012, 13:32
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 209
Groaned at 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 53 Posts
squidmonkey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stinky Neighbours

conclusion

I made a complain to the real estate, and strange enough 2 weeks later the place closed down. Kebab free for 2 months .. still moving though
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11.08.2012, 14:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,421
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,742 Times in 719 Posts
simplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
conclusion

I made a complain to the real estate, and strange enough 2 weeks later the place closed down. Kebab free for 2 months .. still moving though
I just hope you went to see this time before moving.This way you won't be forced to to complain about things which can be seen before you accept a flat.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11.08.2012, 14:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Stinky Neighbours

it's tough isn't it- as there is such a shortage of flats for rent. I'd just hate to live over a fast-food place with a vengeance. Not sure if the noise of the extraction fan would be worse than the smell- and perhaps once extracted, the smells would then disturb other neighbours further up?

And yet - really, if you take an apartment above such a place, surely you have to consider that there might well be inconveniences, be it noise, smells, etc. NO?

So these people have lost their livelyhood - perhaps due to your complaint- and you will move on anyway
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 11.08.2012, 16:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,421
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,742 Times in 719 Posts
simplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
it's tough isn't it- as there is such a shortage of flats for rent. I'd just hate to live over a fast-food place with a vengeance. Not sure if the noise of the extraction fan would be worse than the smell- and perhaps once extracted, the smells would then disturb other neighbours further up?

And yet - really, if you take an apartment above such a place, surely you have to consider that there might well be inconveniences, be it noise, smells, etc. NO?

So these people have lost their livelyhood - perhaps due to your complaint- and you will move on anyway
Why do you bother to explain this Odile ? People like the OP most likely don't even understand what you are talkiing about.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank simplon for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 11.08.2012, 19:56
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
View Post
Why do you bother to explain this Odile ? People like the OP most likely don't even understand what you are talkiing about.
You mean there are also other people in this world?!? Who also need a job?!? No!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 12.08.2012, 00:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 794
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 375 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Stinky Neighbours

Quote:
it's tough isn't it- as there is such a shortage of flats for rent. I'd just hate to live over a fast-food place with a vengeance. Not sure if the noise of the extraction fan would be worse than the smell- and perhaps once extracted, the smells would then disturb other neighbours further up?

And yet - really, if you take an apartment above such a place, surely you have to consider that there might well be inconveniences, be it noise, smells, etc. NO?

So these people have lost their livelyhood - perhaps due to your complaint- and you will move on anyway
Knowing Geneva, finding new premises for a kebab shop is probably much easier than finding new lodgings. I wouldn't worry.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idiot Neighbours... Rugbylad Complaints corner 116 24.01.2012 00:33
My stinky dog and other funny stories Janite Pet corner 14 23.01.2011 16:12
Stinky cheese blunote Food and drink 25 12.10.2009 22:55
Nice neighbours (part3 Sh*tty neighbours) HAT Complaints corner 7 06.10.2006 14:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0