Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.07.2012, 01:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 5 Posts
outlining has earned some respectoutlining has earned some respect
Don't visit [Old, not the new pub 2015] Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Do NOT go to Spring Brother's Pub in Geneva. I was hired and worked there one shift before quitting. The fat barman kept saying incredibly inappropriate things to me all night, kept touching my hips and my neck and even asked me to give him a massage after closing the bar. When I declined he said if I wanted to work here much longer I'd better "loosen up and pull that stick out of my @$$" I repeatedly asked him to stop doing things because they made me uncomfortable. He told me, "This is how I am, if you don't like it there's the door"

Throughout the night he kept telling me SUCH inappropriate things like "I'd ___ you but I wouldn't date you", "you don't even know how many women I've ____ed in that bathroom right there".

I've only been in Switzerland a few weeks and grew up in the US. I am completely horrified at the lack of laws protecting against sexual harassment on the job. If this happened where I grew up there would be both internal and legal recourse and this person would have been fired and blacklisted from the company. Apparently, sexual harassment is not a very big deal in Switzerland.

Anyway, back to my point, this place is very poorly kept by this particular manager. The toilets have been broken for over two months and the sanitation of the bar is ridiculous because the drains don't work properly. The turnover rate for barmaids is quite high, one former barmaid said she quit because the same fat barman told her he would promote her if she slept with him. He knew she was in a financial bind, as well as working in the black, so of course he manipulated the situation to his advantage and afterward told the rest of the staff he "had to fire her for no-show's".

The whole time I worked there alone with this man, he kept going over to groups of girls and flirting and adding them on facebook the entire night. I have since learned he has a horrible reputation in the expat community and doesn't keep friends or employees on for very long. Sadly, the owner of the bar is living in Miami and his contact info is not available. I've since resorted to spreading the word via online because he flat out told me he likes to "hire au pairs because they are easy" (and illegal, therefore have no legal recourse when dealing with his sexual harassment)

Any questions or comments, please feel free to PM me. I am still fuming.
The following 13 users would like to thank outlining for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 15.07.2012, 02:28
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,401 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Do NOT go to Spring Brother's Pub in Geneva. I was hired and worked there one shift before quitting. The fat barman kept saying incredibly inappropriate things to me all night, kept touching my hips and my neck and even asked me to give him a massage after closing the bar. When I declined he said if I wanted to work here much longer I'd better "loosen up and pull that stick out of my @$$" I repeatedly asked him to stop doing things because they made me uncomfortable. He told me, "This is how I am, if you don't like it there's the door"

Throughout the night he kept telling me SUCH inappropriate things like "I'd ___ you but I wouldn't date you", "you don't even know how many women I've ____ed in that bathroom right there".

I've only been in Switzerland a few weeks and grew up in the US. I am completely horrified at the lack of laws protecting against sexual harassment on the job. If this happened where I grew up there would be both internal and legal recourse and this person would have been fired and blacklisted from the company. Apparently, sexual harassment is not a very big deal in Switzerland.

Anyway, back to my point, this place is very poorly kept by this particular manager. The toilets have been broken for over two months and the sanitation of the bar is ridiculous because the drains don't work properly. The turnover rate for barmaids is quite high, one former barmaid said she quit because the same fat barman told her he would promote her if she slept with him. He knew she was in a financial bind, as well as working in the black, so of course he manipulated the situation to his advantage and afterward told the rest of the staff he "had to fire her for no-show's".

The whole time I worked there alone with this man, he kept going over to groups of girls and flirting and adding them on facebook the entire night. I have since learned he has a horrible reputation in the expat community and doesn't keep friends or employees on for very long. Sadly, the owner of the bar is living in Miami and his contact info is not available. I've since resorted to spreading the word via online because he flat out told me he likes to "hire au pairs because they are easy" (and illegal, therefore have no legal recourse when dealing with his sexual harassment)

Any questions or comments, please feel free to PM me. I am still fuming.
Leafy take notes ;this is a complaine with substenceReport the bastard,let the owner know .In america things like that are not taken lightley
The following 2 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.07.2012, 02:40
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,401 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Your consul, its his job to help youhttp://www.movetoswitzerland.com/con...onsulates/usa/
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.07.2012, 09:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Leafy take notes ;this is a complaine with substenceReport the bastard,let the owner know .In america things like that are not taken lightley
Maybe but this is not America...
If you have no witness no judge here will believe you and you will be broke having to bear all the legal costs. And good luck to find a job...
  #5  
Old 15.07.2012, 13:13
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NL, UK & sometimes ZH
Posts: 6,385
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,589 Times in 4,500 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Well if everything you say us true you did the right thing for you by quitting.

I would just be a little careful about making outrageous claims like this on an open forum. I always remember that there are two sides to every story and maybe you are making these claims just to embarrass or get back at someone, I know someone who works there, and also quite a few regulars, who are members of this forum.
The following 7 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.07.2012, 13:19
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 734
Groaned at 287 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Where is this place located at? Sounds like a fun place, would love to grab a beer there!
This user would like to thank idefix for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.07.2012, 13:21
cheesey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,144
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,784 Times in 574 Posts
cheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Is the fat bar man the owner? You are asking people to boycott a pub because of the behavior of one of their bar staff?

Granted he sounds like a right git and dunlop from your account.
  #8  
Old 15.07.2012, 13:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Is the fat bar man the owner? You are asking people to boycott a pub because of the behavior of one of their bar staff?

I think this was just what made it unbearable, she also refers to poor sanitation.
  #9  
Old 15.07.2012, 13:49
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,887
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Well if everything you say us true you did the right thing for you by quitting.

I would just be a little careful about making outrageous claims like this on an open forum. I always remember that there are two sides to every story and maybe you are making these claims just to embarrass or get back at someone, I know someone who works there, and also quite a few regulars, who are members of this forum.
The person you know has not been working there for the past four months. And i doubt it if there are any regulars left.

Also you have a pm
The following 7 users would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 5 Posts
outlining has earned some respectoutlining has earned some respect
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

It is absolutely outrageous but absolutely true and I'll retell it to anyone who asks. I posted this here specifically because I know Spring Brothers is well known in the expat community for being an English speaking pub.

Oh, and yes I know there are two sides to every story. After I told the fat manager I was quitting because of how he treated me, he said, "Well, I'm afraid I can't keep you working here after your little outburst" hahaha

Funny, when he hired me he kept telling me how he just "had to keep sacking his barmaids for bad attitudes and not showing up". It all makes perfect sense now.

I hope that people who work there read this and realize they're not the only one. Since this experience I've spoken to a handful of ex-employees (not hard, as the turn over rate is so high) and each one has their own horrific story about this man.

Quote:
View Post
Well if everything you say us true you did the right thing for you by quitting.

I would just be a little careful about making outrageous claims like this on an open forum. I always remember that there are two sides to every story and maybe you are making these claims just to embarrass or get back at someone, I know someone who works there, and also quite a few regulars, who are members of this forum.
This user would like to thank outlining for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 5 Posts
outlining has earned some respectoutlining has earned some respect
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Ah, sounds like you know exactly who I am talking about. Pleased to see I'm not at all alone in this.

Quote:
View Post
The person you know has not been working there for the past four months. And i doubt it if there are any regulars left.

Also you have a pm
  #12  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:32
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NL, UK & sometimes ZH
Posts: 6,385
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,589 Times in 4,500 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

I've spoken to someone in the know and it seems that your allegations are probably true after all. Looks like I won't be going back there again then!

Quote:
View Post
It is absolutely outrageous but absolutely true and I'll retell it to anyone who asks. I posted this here specifically because I know Spring Brothers is well known in the expat community for being an English speaking pub.

Oh, and yes I know there are two sides to every story. After I told the fat manager I was quitting because of how he treated me, he said, "Well, I'm afraid I can't keep you working here after your little outburst" hahaha

Funny, when he hired me he kept telling me how he just "had to keep sacking his barmaids for bad attitudes and not showing up". It all makes perfect sense now.

I hope that people who work there read this and realize they're not the only one. Since this experience I've spoken to a handful of ex-employees (not hard, as the turn over rate is so high) and each one has their own horrific story about this man.
The following 14 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:35
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,401 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
I've spoken to someone in the know and it seems that your allegations are probably true after all. Looks like I won't be going back there again then!
People like this have to be stoped
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Were you working legally? Only asking as if you were properly registered, etc, I'd go and talk to the local UNIA workers union for advice a/ to stop the bar stewart ! from continuing to behave like a disgusting **** with the next 1, 2, 3, 25 ... next barmaids and b/ as you may well be entitled to compensation. Bonne chance.

Cannut - sadly those people can continue to behave in this way, as there is no shortage of people who are prepared to take on such jobs without prper contracts, unregistered and non unionised- and who therefore cannot/will not complain officially and get UNIA or police involved, same for so-called au pairs, nannies, cleaners, etc. Would have been great to rig up a hidden camera - perhaps a friend could apply to replace you and do so??

Last edited by Odile; 15.07.2012 at 16:02.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:44
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,242
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,110 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Get someone to send him a fake LV bag - that should do the trick
  #16  
Old 15.07.2012, 15:56
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

When I was 20-21, I used to work in a restaurant as the bartender. The owner was very nice and fair. He got a contract with the olimpics games in Europe so went for a good 6-7 weeks with the bests waiters. His brother took the restaurant in charge and the nightmare started.

I was sexually harassed on a daily basis, insulted and verbally abused by him. Some male staff members started to do the same too. I was managing a girl who worked with me behind the bar and She got the exact same treatment.

The only reason I put up with it was because it was suppose to be for a short period until the owner comes back.

At the moment he came back, we told him with the help of other waiters who witnessed all this shit. He went in a rage and had a huge argument with the brother.

But the damage was done. I felt horrible and I left. I couldn't work for a while because of the effect of what happened to me with these guys.

Good on you to stand up and denounce it. I hope it will bring good.
The following 5 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 16.07.2012, 00:24
SimonHicken's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 136
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 56 Posts
SimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputation
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

The owner and direction of Spring Brothers has been made fully aware of the situation and appropriate action will be taken.

They do not take these matters lightly

The direction would also like to publically apologise to outlining for whatshe has had to endure, and regret that they did not know about this sooner.

Simon Hicken

Last edited by SimonHicken; 16.07.2012 at 00:59. Reason: Grammar
The following 14 users would like to thank SimonHicken for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 16.07.2012, 01:34
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,401 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
The owner and direction of Spring Brothers has been made fully aware of the situation and appropriate action will be taken.

They do not take these matters lightly

The direction would also like to publically apologise to outlining for whatshe has had to endure, and regret that they did not know about this sooner.

Simon Hicken
Great news
  #19  
Old 16.07.2012, 09:20
Transistor's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ZH
Posts: 83
Groaned at 68 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 33 Posts
Transistor is considered unworthyTransistor is considered unworthyTransistor is considered unworthyTransistor is considered unworthy
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
View Post
The owner and direction of Spring Brothers has been made fully aware of the situation and appropriate action will be taken.

They do not take these matters lightly

The direction would also like to publically apologise to outlining for whatshe has had to endure, and regret that they did not know about this sooner.

Simon Hicken
..direction?

Sounds like you need to start managing your place a lot better, it's OK apologizing but if you were managing it better Women like the OP would not have had to go through this with this w***** for so long...
The following 3 users would like to thank Transistor for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 16.07.2012, 10:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't visit Spring Brothers Irish Pub in Old Town Geneva

Quote:
Were you working legally? Only asking as if you were properly registered, etc, I'd go and talk to the local UNIA workers union for advice a/ to stop the bar stewart ! from continuing to behave like a disgusting **** with the next 1, 2, 3, 25 ... next barmaids and b/ as you may well be entitled to compensation. Bonne chance.

Cannut - sadly those people can continue to behave in this way, as there is no shortage of people who are prepared to take on such jobs without prper contracts, unregistered and non unionised- and who therefore cannot/will not complain officially and get UNIA or police involved, same for so-called au pairs, nannies, cleaners, etc. Would have been great to rig up a hidden camera - perhaps a friend could apply to replace you and do so??
Even if Outlining is working here illegally can she report them anonymously? Drop a quick letter, unsigned, to them and see what happens. If they get a sniff that he's taking on unregistered staff on a regular basis it will probably open a whole can of worms.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW IRISH PUB in Zurich!! DUBLIN CITY Irish Pub!! Leoni Entertainment & dining 113 06.10.2013 15:18
NEW PUB: Kennedy's Irish Pub @ Sihlpost, Zurich Big Mac #24 Commercial 30 16.05.2013 17:43
Pub Quiz in Kennedys Irish Pub 27th January swisssam Social events 4 28.01.2013 11:48
Geneva drinks! (Again!) 4th December, Spring Bros. Irish Pub gata Social events 19 04.12.2010 19:19
Pub Quiz- The Shamrock Irish Pub, Wollishofen. deutschmaad Social events 0 15.02.2010 22:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0