Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3761  
Old 30.07.2018, 15:20
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,811
Groaned at 100 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 10,379 Times in 4,605 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weather!

Zürichsee at Tiefenbrunnen was 27 degrees on Friday, which is the highest I've seen it, but the water level has noticably dropped. It's currently 25.3.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #3762  
Old 30.07.2018, 17:02
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,811
Groaned at 100 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 10,379 Times in 4,605 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weather!

Now this is scary

Quote:
Tourists are being warned that temperatures in southern Europe this week could be record breakers - possibly hitting the high 40s.

Spain's record high is 47.3C (117.14F) and Portugal's is 47.4C (117.32F), but these temperatures "could well be beaten", she added.
"Southwest France could see temperatures locally top 40C (104F).
"And 48C (118.4F) is possible across inland parts of Portugal and valleys of southern Spain".
https://news.sky.com/story/british-h...cords-11454207



I think the highest temperature I've experienced is 46 degrees in Vegas. I couldn't stay outdoors for more than 20mins.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #3763  
Old 30.07.2018, 17:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Goodness, 40 degrees plus doesn't bear thinking about.

Today's 34° is bad enough. I don't remember it being as hot in Zurich in 2003, anyone else here then? I seem to remember enjoying it more.
Reply With Quote
  #3764  
Old 30.07.2018, 17:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
Goodness, 40 degrees plus doesn't bear thinking about.

Today's 34° is bad enough. I don't remember it being as hot in Zurich in 2003, anyone else here then? I seem to remember enjoying it more.
Summer 2015 also had days of 34 in Zürich, but by then I lived on Seestrasse so could take 5 dives a day in the lake, and only once blacked out due to mountain biking in the full sun without drinking enough.

My warmest ever was 43 in the countryside of Brasil, but that was actually very comfortable and nice due to the lack of moisture and some wind, my worst was 42 degrees in the centre of Buenos Aires and no wind at all, it is there that I learned that one can sweat all over within 10 seconds of leaving an air conditioned store.

The current weather in Zürich is for me enjoyable, it is just that there is so little to do with a 2yr old boy. The sun burns to much, the zoo's are way to sunny, the playhalls I have been to did have insufficient temperature control and made him soaking on his own sweat, and swimming is to stress for me since he can't be unattended for a second there. Long live the garden and an airco at home.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3765  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
Summer 2015 also had days of 34 in Zürich, but by then I lived on Seestrasse so could take 5 dives a day in the lake, and only once blacked out due to mountain biking in the full sun without drinking enough.
I think normally when the temp rises, we tend to get a break in the pattern and have relief for a few days before the temperature climbs again. This is non-stop, prolonged heat with little to no rainfall. I never known fireworks to be cancelled before, maybe they were in 2003? I don't remember.
Reply With Quote
  #3766  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evian France
Posts: 753
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 516 Times in 295 Posts
evianers is considered knowledgeableevianers is considered knowledgeableevianers is considered knowledgeable
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
Now this is scary

https://news.sky.com/story/british-h...cords-11454207



I think the highest temperature I've experienced is 46 degrees in Vegas. I couldn't stay outdoors for more than 20mins.



We lived in Perth [Oz] for 5.5 years and during that time it was 46 degrees in our back garden for six weeks! Only cooled down to 38 degrees at nighttime.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank evianers for this useful post:
  #3767  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:45
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 557 Posts
DantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputation
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
I think normally when the temp rises, we tend to get a break in the pattern and have relief for a few days before the temperature climbs again. This is non-stop, prolonged heat with little to no rainfall. I never known fireworks to be cancelled before, maybe they were in 2003? I don't remember.
This is a very comprehensive link regarding current fireworks, stream and river conditions, forest health. As well as some historical references to previous droughts, etc.

Edited to add the actual link

Last edited by DantesDame; 30.07.2018 at 19:11.
Reply With Quote
  #3768  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
I think normally when the temp rises, we tend to get a break in the pattern and have relief for a few days before the temperature climbs again. This is non-stop, prolonged heat with little to no rainfall. I never known fireworks to be cancelled before, maybe they were in 2003? I don't remember.
I was not here by then.

The drought is exceptional and very extreme, no doubt on that and the news is full with articles about this and it will become even more extreme in the next weeks. The temperature for Switzerland is a bit on the high side but nothing extreme (Zürich at least) and Saturday we had a nice cooler day in between, just like the weekend before.

If feel lucky if I compare our current summer with countries like Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and others. More extreme temperatures and/or more drought.

I "fear" the upcoming storms which are normally there to cast the end of a heat period, the ground is like concrete and will absorb absolutely nothing (except the water that will flown into the cracks)
Reply With Quote
  #3769  
Old 30.07.2018, 18:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
This is a very comprehensive link regarding current fireworks, stream and river conditions, forest health. As well as some historical references to previous droughts, etc.
But you're not wearing any clothes in that link. You put on some sun screen at least, no?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3770  
Old 30.07.2018, 19:11
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 557 Posts
DantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputation
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
But you're not wearing any clothes in that link. You put on some sun screen at least, no?

Ok fine - I edited my post for a more useful link
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #3771  
Old 30.07.2018, 19:37
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 557 Posts
DantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputation
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
I think the highest temperature I've experienced is 46 degrees in Vegas. I couldn't stay outdoors for more than 20mins.
I rode my motorcycle through Death Valley. It was 114 (45.5C). It was hot, but the novelty (and short-term) made it more interesting than unbearable.

Still, my ideal temperature is around 20C. I don't see those temps coming back any time soon
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #3772  
Old 30.07.2018, 19:44
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,370
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,752 Times in 6,677 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
Ok fine - I edited my post for a more useful link
Thanks, the new one was interesting.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #3773  
Old 30.07.2018, 19:51
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
I have closed the window shutters north side of the house, I have never done that before

I need to go to Migro, Co-op or ikea to keep cool..
Or sit in a Cobra tram
Reply With Quote
  #3774  
Old 30.07.2018, 20:47
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,811
Groaned at 100 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 10,379 Times in 4,605 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
I rode my motorcycle through Death Valley. It was 114 (45.5C). It was hot, but the novelty (and short-term) made it more interesting than unbearable.
With or without a lid? I'm a wuss. Won't ride a bike without a lid and leathers or Belstaff.
Reply With Quote
  #3775  
Old 30.07.2018, 22:12
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 557 Posts
DantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputation
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
With or without a lid? I'm a wuss. Won't ride a bike without a lid and leathers or Belstaff.
Full helmet, full gear:

Reply With Quote
  #3776  
Old 31.07.2018, 16:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!


Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3777  
Old 31.07.2018, 16:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
36 degrees



I've a flippin' allergy sinus head thingy going on, complete with temperature.. in this temperature! That's not even funny.
Reply With Quote
  #3778  
Old 31.07.2018, 16:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
36 degrees



I've a flippin' allergy sinus head thingy going on, complete with temperature.. in this temperature! That's not even funny.
Place a kiddy pool in front of the sofa and put your feet in while watching a movie or playing a game. (and if your works allows it, also place one there under the desk)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3779  
Old 31.07.2018, 17:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
Place a kiddy pool in front of the sofa and put your feet in while watching a movie or playing a game. (and if your works allows it, also place one there under the desk)
Great idea, I must say, for the hard shell smaller pools.

We have two inflatable kiddie pools and both deflated and leaked recently, which might make a bit of a mess in the living room
Reply With Quote
  #3780  
Old 31.07.2018, 17:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weather!

Quote:
View Post
Great idea, I must say, for the hard shell smaller pools.

We have two inflatable kiddie pools and both deflated and leaked recently, which might make a bit of a mess in the living room
My wife uses the baby's bath for inside :P
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weather Forecasting jerallie Daily life 13 05.01.2020 09:01
North Yorkshire weather vs. Zurich area weather jmmf2012 Daily life 8 24.06.2017 20:59
Weather GarryBasel Daily life 22 14.01.2013 12:56
Weather Sutter Complaints corner 733 18.10.2009 23:44
Fall weather... Peg A Daily life 0 29.08.2009 22:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0