English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   Your views on Meat import restrictions to Switzerland from the EU + UK (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/18331-your-views-meat-import-restrictions-switzerland-eu-uk.html)

klay88 03.02.2008 09:23

Your views on Meat import restrictions to Switzerland from the EU + UK
 
I'm very interested to hear views on Switzerland imposed restriction to allowing meal product outside EU (including UK) :confused:

03.02.2008 09:39

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
:confused: :confused: :confused:

What is meal product..?

klay88 03.02.2008 09:54

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 166707)
What is meal product..?

Hi Paul,
Is this a trick question?

Lynn 03.02.2008 10:12

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Maybe I'm just a little blond but your question makes no sense... if you are looking to start a good discussion it is usually useful to elaborate a little in your post about the topic. In other words, if you write more than a one liner maybe people will debate or share views...

grumpygrapefruit 03.02.2008 10:37

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
:confused::confused::confused:

What is meal product..?

and no, it's not a trick question. Is it something to do with animal feed?

Guest 03.02.2008 10:40

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
I am assuming that klay88 is asking about nuts/grains that have been ground.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Nutmeals.html

03.02.2008 10:48

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
I googled meal products and this was about all I came up with:

http://www.malt-o-meal.com/home_images/home_header2.jpg

03.02.2008 10:59

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 166707)
:confused: :confused: :confused:

What is meal product..?

Quote:

Originally Posted by klay88 (Post 166711)
Hi Paul,
Is this a trick question?


No it is not a trick question - you have made one of the more obscure posts seen on the forum for a good long time. Why are you surprised that no-one has a clue what you are on about?

I'd suggest you explain a little more or your thread will be toast.

J_T 03.02.2008 11:55

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
...perhaps related to the bone meal cattle feed dioxin storm that's running now?

miniMia 03.02.2008 17:53

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Maybe the OP meant meaT products?

klay88 03.02.2008 20:20

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 166717)
Maybe I'm just a little blond but your question makes no sense... if you are looking to start a good discussion it is usually useful to elaborate a little in your post about the topic. In other words, if you write more than a one liner maybe people will debate or share views...

Hi Lynn,

I see your point, my apologies. I was referring to a article on a Swiss Air magazine advising passenger that there is a restriction for travellers to bring into Switzerland any meat or meat related product for human consumption apart from the European Union (exluding United Kingdom)

03.02.2008 21:41

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Ahhh haaa.. so you meant meaT instead of meaL, now you question makes a tad more sense.

So what's there to debate? Those are the rules. If you're flying to the USA for example you can't bring any food substances into that country, period. At least with Switzerland you can bring food stuffs in (within set limits) from other EU countries without any problems.

04.02.2008 06:33

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
.. and why start this discussion now - these restrictions have been in place for a long time so there's nothing new - or have they been made more restrictive. Remember, this is only a restriction on the private import of these products - commercial enterprises can import meat from the restricted countries, including the UK where the cows still look a bit mad to me, by going through the proper channels and procedures.

klay88 04.02.2008 08:02

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 166944)
Ahhh haaa.. so you meant meaT instead of meaL, now you question makes a tad more sense.

So what's there to debate? Those are the rules. If you're flying to the USA for example you can't bring any food substances into that country, period. At least with Switzerland you can bring food stuffs in (within set limits) from other EU countries without any problems.

Thanks for sharing your views.
If I understand you right, the USA restriction applies to all countries. Assuming this is correct, my point was why in Switzerland the restriction only applies to non EU countries? What is the logic? Are EU countries more qualified than rest of the world?

klay88 04.02.2008 08:12

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissbob (Post 167006)
.. and why start this discussion now - these restrictions have been in place for a long time so there's nothing new - or have they been made more restrictive.

Understand your point on restriction, but my thought is there is always a point to disagree if you think it's not right, that why you have comment.

The restriction I understand was not there was a long time and only mid 2007, not sure what was the rules previously though. I came to know about it through a colleague of mine who by chance was reading a SWISS airline magazine.

04.02.2008 09:34

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klay88 (Post 167024)
Thanks for sharing your views.
If I understand you right, the USA restriction applies to all countries. Assuming this is correct, my point was why in Switzerland the restriction only applies to non EU countries? What is the logic? Are EU countries more qualified than rest of the world?

Look at the EU sort of like a United States of Europe and it starts to make bit more sense.
There are some restrictions also inside of the USA, California for example does not permit the importation of fresh fruits from neighboring states for fear of the Medfly.

04.02.2008 09:42

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klay88 (Post 167028)
Understand your point on restriction, but my thought is there is always a point to disagree if you think it's not right,

Why do you think it's not right?

And just to be clear - we are talking about restrictions on the personal import of meat and meat products? That was certainly active in 2001 when I got caught with a tin of corned beef :o.

Lob 04.02.2008 10:13

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
If Switzerland was in the EU, you might have a complaint.

Otherwise, deal with it - after all, they're trying to protect Swiss businesses.

And if you could start your debate with more than a one-liner, you might get better answers.

04.02.2008 10:28

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lob Rockster (Post 167089)
... after all, they're trying to protect Swiss businesses.

I think the op is on about personal imports - like bringing a pack of biltong to Switzerland in your backpack ;).

Lob 04.02.2008 10:33

Re: Looking forward to hear views on Meal restriction to Switzerland outside EU + UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissbob (Post 167102)
I think the op is on about personal imports - like bringing a pack of biltong to Switzerland in your backpack ;).

But importing half a cow is a personal import too - or it would've been had they not asked me to open the car.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0