Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.02.2008, 07:11
Tubbies-Mummy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 391
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 84 Posts
Tubbies-Mummy has made some interesting contributions
Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Is it just me or does anyone else find the famous blue low cost airlines advertising a total con ? ( can I mention them ?)
I have just booked 3 seats for my family to fly from UK to Milan after seeing their 1 million seat give away at 1p. The bill has come to £168 !! OK still cheap but amazing how much it mounts up !!
from 1P. !!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.02.2008, 07:27
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Big Print Giveth!

Small Print Taketh Away
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.02.2008, 07:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Tax, fuel surcharges, airport tax etc etc. make up the difference. That is a bargain fare for three people. Why are you complaining ?

dave

Quote:
View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find the famous blue low cost airlines advertising a total con ? ( can I mention them ?)
I have just booked 3 seats for my family to fly from UK to Milan after seeing their 1 million seat give away at 1p. The bill has come to £168 !! OK still cheap but amazing how much it mounts up !!
from 1P. !!

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.02.2008, 07:51
Tubbies-Mummy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 391
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 84 Posts
Tubbies-Mummy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Yes I know it is a good fare that is not the issue - what annoys me is the way they advertise it at 1p a flight !
Yep read the small print. No such thing as a free lunch !
I just think they should advertise it as the full price but they dont and I feel they have a clever way with their marketing !!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.02.2008, 08:11
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

I understand later this year this sort of advertising will be forbidden under some new EU law. All airlines are / were in on this type of promotion: because it works. By the time you've realised the price isn't three pence for three tickets, you've already made your mind up to travel. Easy pickin's...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.02.2008, 08:21
Tubbies-Mummy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 391
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 84 Posts
Tubbies-Mummy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

It gets better ! Last time we used them our baggage limit was 15 kg each. Now I felt quite chuffed that as a family of 4 (= 60 kg) I managed to get all our holiday clothes into just 3 suitcases - and it weighed just under at 55 kg and was in the guidelines on the health and safety weight limit for baggage handlers. But get this - I was told I was going to be find £101 because you are supposed to have upto 15 kg per bag ! Persoanlly thought it made more sense - more room in the hold and less carrying for us. Anyway I wouldnt pay that - I raced of the the samsonite shop and bought a hold hall for £14.99 and shared out some of the clothes.
Feeling chuffed at my actions I asked my hubby that as I had saved us £86 could I go and do some shopping in Monsoon !!! Wont tell you his answer !
Yep read the small print again!!! and again....and again...
Do they charge for loo paper ??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.02.2008, 08:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

The whole low-cost airline model is based on minimising costs, that means cutting out anything that is not mandated or jeapodises safety. So expect to have almost everything as an option. I like the idea of all the costs: be in additional (or any!) baggage, check in, food being separate cost items. I am sure Michael O Leary would have little sympathy.

The cost of airline travel has fallen dramatically over the last ten years, and the competition is fierce in the low-cost sector.

Yes, the additional charges (tax, fuel surcharge etc) are added at a late stage, but this is changing (as Uncle Max pointed out). It should be noted that this behaviour is endemic in most online booking (tickets, hotels etc) where the booking fee or insurances or whatever are added at the last stage before payment. The reason that most people make a fuss about the airline taxes, is that they are so high relative to the fare, or better put: the airline fare (1p in your case) is so low relative to the overall charge.

The lowcost airlines have completely overhauled air travel and expect to see the airports being the next target for cost-cutting following baggage handling. The departure shed cometh !

dave



Quote:
View Post
It gets better ! Last time we used them our baggage limit was 15 kg each. Now I felt quite chuffed that as a family of 4 (= 60 kg) I managed to get all our holiday clothes into just 3 suitcases - and it weighed just under at 55 kg and was in the guidelines on the health and safety weight limit for baggage handlers. But get this - I was told I was going to be find £101 because you are supposed to have upto 15 kg per bag ! Persoanlly thought it made more sense - more room in the hold and less carrying for us. Anyway I wouldnt pay that - I raced of the the samsonite shop and bought a hold hall for £14.99 and shared out some of the clothes.
Feeling chuffed at my actions I asked my hubby that as I had saved us £86 could I go and do some shopping in Monsoon !!! Wont tell you his answer !
Yep read the small print again!!! and again....and again...
Do they charge for loo paper ??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.02.2008, 08:41
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,052
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,108 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Quote:
View Post
The cost of airline travel has fallen dramatically over the last ten years, and the competition is fierce in the low-cost sector.
dave
maybe i have rose tinted spectacles, but i remember the lovely days of paying 50 pounds a flight zurich to gatwick about 6 years ago. could never imagine that any more.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.02.2008, 11:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

All is not rosie for the budget airlines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7225681.stm

Quote:
Ryanair has warned that its profits could be halved this year as fuel costs rise and as the UK pound weakens.
The warning came as the budget airline reported that net profit dropped 27% to 35m euros ($52m; £26m) during the October to December quarter.
Quote:

He said that the company had not taken out protection, known as hedging, against the oil price or weak pound. "We remain essentially unhedged for next year," the budget airline said.
It's not mentioned in this story but BBC news this morning also commented on their very low seat utilization so apparently even 1P seats are not helping,
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.02.2008, 11:18
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

The low-cost model is excellent in my opinion. Very transparent - but you have to understand that there is always airport tax and fuel surcharges and now a charge per bag.

Great.

I am happy to not pay for crap food that I would not eat - it's doing a little for the environment too.

I am relatively happy to take my chances as to whether I sit with anyone I am travelling with for the next two hours.

I don't see the problem, to be honest. Surely nobody really expects the cost for three people to be 3p?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lob for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 04.02.2008, 11:26
HTD's Avatar
HTD HTD is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zollikerberg
Posts: 793
Groaned at 26 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 595 Times in 317 Posts
HTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Quote:
View Post
The low-cost model is excellent in my opinion. Very transparent - but you have to understand that there is always airport tax and fuel surcharges and now a charge per bag.

Great.

I am happy to not pay for crap food that I would not eat - it's doing a little for the environment too.

I am relatively happy to take my chances as to whether I sit with anyone I am travelling with for the next two hours.

I don't see the problem, to be honest. Surely nobody really expects the cost for three people to be 3p?
Granted it's the extreme variation of activity based costing, on the other hand it doesn't appear to be doing the airline much good - I would much prefer to pay 25€ per flight excl. taxes rather than have the feeling that I'm paying over the nose for things like credit card transaction costs (which are 3-4% in the rest of the world and 26€ for Ryanair) or being forced to check in a bag at 24€ a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.02.2008, 11:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Most of the barriers to starting an airline have been removed. My mother could get an AOC. Less protectionism, easy finance, open skys (in theory). The problem is competition and costs in the low-cost sector and differentiation in a full-service carrier.

dave

Quote:
View Post
All is not rosie for the budget airlines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7225681.stm





It's not mentioned in this story but BBC news this morning also commented on their very low seat utilization so apparently even 1P seats are not helping,
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.02.2008, 11:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Transparent. Thats the word I was looking for, Lob. Thanks.

dave


Quote:
View Post
The low-cost model is excellent in my opinion. Very transparent -
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.02.2008, 23:22
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,016
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,832 Times in 2,058 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

I love low cost airlines. They have given me the opportunity to dash to my families home on many occasions. They are the bridge between my family and living in an other country. My husband loves them too, not because he prefers traveling with them but I can satisfy my needs without us pulling in the belt in other areas.
Some people have fancy cars, I have Easy Jet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.02.2008, 23:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Oz
Posts: 610
Groaned at 155 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 211 Posts
drsmithy has earned some respectdrsmithy has earned some respect
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Quote:
View Post
maybe i have rose tinted spectacles, but i remember the lovely days of paying 50 pounds a flight zurich to gatwick about 6 years ago. could never imagine that any more.
Uh, do you mean a return flight ? Because I just paid about that (CHF130) each way for ZRH -> LHR -> ZRH and that was with BA, typically far from the cheapest available (but I'm trying to build up some Frequently Flyer points before June).

Gatwick was noticably cheaper than Heathrow - but we would well and truly make up the difference in flight costs getting from Gatwick to our friends in London, vs going from Heathrow.

Coming from Australia, it's incredible how cheap flying around Europe is. We originally had visions of catching the train all over the place "on the cheap", but it's far, far cheaper to fly (now we're more interested in the train to get more seat room and to avoid an hour or two at the airport departing and arriving).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05.02.2008, 00:07
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,016
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,832 Times in 2,058 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Quote:
View Post
Uh, do you mean a return flight ? Because I just paid about that (CHF130) each way for ZRH -> LHR -> ZRH and that was with BA, typically far from the cheapest available (but I'm trying to build up some Frequently Flyer points before June).

Gatwick was noticably cheaper than Heathrow - but we would well and truly make up the difference in flight costs getting from Gatwick to our friends in London, vs going from Heathrow.

Coming from Australia, it's incredible how cheap flying around Europe is. We originally had visions of catching the train all over the place "on the cheap", but it's far, far cheaper to fly (now we're more interested in the train to get more seat room and to avoid an hour or two at the airport departing and arriving).
Inland flights were really expensive in Australia when i was there. Trains didn't exist in the region I was working. I remember phoning my Mum and her saying "I think you should pop over and see my brother and his family while your there! Yeah right, I was working in the Eastern Gold fields of Western Australia her brother lived an 8 hour flight away!
How do you tell your Mum it's the same distance as flying to Kenya from Switzerland! I'm trying to remember the airlines name that flew from Kalgoorlie to Perth was it Anzec? it was something beginning with A
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05.02.2008, 00:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Oceanic, perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05.02.2008, 00:31
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,016
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,832 Times in 2,058 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

Quote:
Oceanic, perhaps?
Now that you mention it, yep that could have been the one! My, what a clever chap you are. In fact I was working near the dried out salt seas, oh how one could kick one's self for such silly brain dead moment.
Oldhand rubbing her bottom as she walks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05.02.2008, 00:43
JVC
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

The cost cutting is not really new. Tour operators have been doing it for years. When you get behind the scenes a tour operator is more of a financial institution, taking money up front, buying foreign currency at the best rates, paying hotels later, selling insurance along the way. The economy airlines are that model minus the hotels, and aiming at a different market from the "2 weeks per year in the sun" one.

What the economy airlines have done is break the monopoly formerly held by the European state airlines, which has to be a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.02.2008, 02:00
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,503
Groaned at 117 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 16,402 Times in 5,220 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low Cost Airline - 1p Seat Give Away Con ??!!

I hate Ryanair with a passion.. it is an airline which oozes cheap, nastiness from every orifice. From their punitive charges to their ice cold check in staff and cabin crew. Their whole ethos is "treat em mean, keep em keen" and people lap it up, anything for a cheap flight guv. However EasyJet et al are proof that you can have comparable fares, but with vastly improved customer service.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New low cost international calls Ollie TV/internet/telephone 18 16.04.2009 17:17
Pro/con of buying a demo car? Sorensen Transportation/driving 9 20.08.2007 18:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0