Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.03.2008, 09:15
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,152
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,047 Times in 1,239 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
Paying tax on Lottery winnings

I won 50.45CHF on the lottery the other day.


I had to pay 35% tax on my winnings!!!!!




Just to let you all know, i looked into this matter and found out the following:


Any winnings over 50CHF are liable for 35% tax. Unfortunately the tax is due on the full amount. Therefore i have won 50.45CHF and i have paid tax on the whole amount and NOT just on the 45 ruppen!!! This gets sorted directly at the Kiosk, which meant i had to fill out a form and only got the 65% given to me.


Please note that when you fill out your tax return you must include the receipt of these winnnings as it is possible that you can get some of this 35% back. The amount varys from canton to canton.




If you only liable for tax on winnings greater than 50CHF, it makes more sense that the first 50CHF should be tax exempt and that you should only have to pay the 35% on anything above the 50CHF. Shame its not. IMO there should not be any tax at all!!!! Damn buggers.


Hope this info is of some use to you guys......


*awaits a plethora of thanks*
__________________
Click here if you live in Zug and want to play Rugby.

I'm Batman.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.03.2008, 09:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Well, to Switzerland's discharge, you're only charged once. If you win the jackpot in, say, France, you'll be taxed once as income, and then every year you'll have to bend over as it will be taxed as wealth.

Take the good with the bad...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.03.2008, 09:28
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,692
Groaned at 136 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,240 Times in 2,929 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
Well, to Switzerland's discharge, you're only charged once. If you win the jackpot in, say, France, you'll be taxed once as income, and then every year you'll have to bend over as it will be taxed as wealth.

Take the good with the bad...
Wealth tax here as well. At least in SG (and I think most German speaking Cantons)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.03.2008, 09:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
Wealth tax here as well. At least in SG (and I think most German speaking Cantons)
Well yes, but once you experience French wealth tax you'll be thinking the Swiss tax collector is one of your best friends...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.03.2008, 09:43
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 320 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,628 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

In the UK pools/lottery wins are tax free. This is nothing short of a slap in the face of everyone who works for living. It says you are fool for getting up early each day and waiting for the bus in the rain only to work and pay tax on it, when you could gamble and pay no tax on your winnings.

The Swiss system of taxing wins is far fairer and steps away from the 'get it all now for free' mentality...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.03.2008, 10:10
SamCole's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 114
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
SamCole has made some interesting contributions
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

I have to say that if I pay tax on the winnings are the actual tickets tax deductable?

It seams unfair that I have to pay tax on the winnings but can’t claim tax back on the cost,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.03.2008, 10:16
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
In the UK pools/lottery wins are tax free. This is nothing short of a slap in the face of everyone who works for living. It says you are fool for getting up early each day and waiting for the bus in the rain only to work and pay tax on it, when you could gamble and pay no tax on your winnings.

The Swiss system of taxing wins is far fairer and steps away from the 'get it all now for free' mentality...
... but in the UK you've already paid tax on your stake - a bit of each 1GBP bet is tax. In Switzerland there is no tax element in the stake, therefore the winnings are taxed. i.e. a few lucky winners pay more tax instead of many paying smaller amounts.

Even at the bookies (in the UK) and on less publicly acceptable gambling you have a choice of paying tax on the stake or the winnings - making the gamble twice as interesting - and most pay on the stake.

Of course, you have already paid income tax on the stake, anyway, so the gambling tax is a second charge whichever way you look at it.

Even in the UK where the lottery win is tax free, the moment it's in the bank it starts attracting interest which is, of course, taxed.

But, back to the op, I won 60 CHF using the Swisslotto online thingy, and all 60 CHF was credited to my account which I should declare on my tax return - so why the with-holding tax at the Kiosk? Seems a bit strange to me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.03.2008, 10:23
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,152
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,047 Times in 1,239 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
But, back to the op, I won 60 CHF using the Swisslotto online thingy, and all 60 CHF was credited to my account which I should declare on my tax return - so why the with-holding tax at the Kiosk? Seems a bit strange to me.


I played the Euro millions not the Swisslotto, maybe you will have to pay the tax after your tax return has been processed???
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.03.2008, 10:48
rhythmical remedy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zürcher
Posts: 513
Groaned at 63 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 201 Times in 130 Posts
rhythmical remedy has earned some respectrhythmical remedy has earned some respect
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
I won 50.45CHF on the lottery the other
On readig the subject I was about to PM you and beg for half a mill. That was until I read the 50.45CHF part
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.03.2008, 10:56
Yopo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 317
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 134 Posts
Yopo has earned some respectYopo has earned some respect
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
On readig the subject I was about to PM you and beg for half a mill. That was until I read the 50.45CHF part
Just for curiosity, what would you do with those 500K? what would you guys do if you suddenly win 10 millions?

Disclosure: neither I won the lottery nor I have millions, the question is just for fun as I guess many of us have dreamt about this at least once!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.03.2008, 11:03
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,216
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,484 Times in 4,308 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
Just for curiosity, what would you do with those 500K? what would you guys do if you suddenly win 10 millions?

Disclosure: neither I won the lottery nor I have millions, the question is just for fun as I guess many of us have dreamt about this at least once!
I would hold a great big party for all members of EF. I would even make sure there was a vegetarian option on the menu
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 03.03.2008, 11:17
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
I would hold a great big party for all members of EF. I would even make sure there was a vegetarian option on the menu
vegan cheese too ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Polorise for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 03.03.2008, 11:37
rhythmical remedy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zürcher
Posts: 513
Groaned at 63 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 201 Times in 130 Posts
rhythmical remedy has earned some respectrhythmical remedy has earned some respect
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
Just for curiosity, what would you do with those 500K? what would you guys do if you suddenly win 10 millions?
Well 500k of free money is a lot but not enough to stop working. I would put the 500k towards a house. 10mill on the other hand is sweetness.

1 Mill towards my dream house/flat.
1Mill to some animal charity
2Mill to close family
500k to friends
1Mill to non religious charity
Plenty of Hard drives for this forum
Rest for living a simple life

Ok anyone know how to play lottery in Switzerland? Do they have a lucky dip thing like in England where the machine picks random numbers for you? I have no idea what I need to do with the slip that you find in kiosks. What are the main lotteries that one can play here? I can start dreaming



Quote:
Disclosure: neither I won the lottery nor I have millions, the question is just for fun as I guess many of us have dreamt about this at least once!
Can I beg you for money anyway?
__________________
Signature less

Last edited by rhythmical remedy; 03.03.2008 at 11:59.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.03.2008, 11:49
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,216
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,484 Times in 4,308 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
vegan cheese too ?
It would depend upon RR classifying me as one of his "close friends" - or even just "friends" - at a pinch
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.03.2008, 12:12
rhythmical remedy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zürcher
Posts: 513
Groaned at 63 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 201 Times in 130 Posts
rhythmical remedy has earned some respectrhythmical remedy has earned some respect
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
It would depend upon RR classifying me as one of his "close friends" - or even just "friends" - at a pinch
RR's classification would be based on the number of red/green cards/groans/thanks that have been handed out to him. Unfortunately people like Jekyll and Polorise will miss out on the $$$
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rhythmical remedy for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 03.03.2008, 12:18
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,152
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,047 Times in 1,239 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
Just for curiosity, what would you do with those 500K? what would you guys do if you suddenly win 10 millions?


500k = a motor yacht in Luzern

10mill = make a movie then buy a motor yacht in the med + more than enough booze, drugs and women to kill me before i am 30.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.03.2008, 12:19
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
RR's classification would be based on the number of red/green cards/groans/thanks that have been handed out to him. Unfortunately people like Jekyll and Polorise will miss out on the $$$
What about me
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.03.2008, 12:22
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,216
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,484 Times in 4,308 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
RR's classification would be based on the number of red/green cards/groans/thanks that have been handed out to him. Unfortunately people like Jekyll and Polorise will miss out on the $$$
How about giving you your 100th thanks?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.03.2008, 12:31
rhythmical remedy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zürcher
Posts: 513
Groaned at 63 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 201 Times in 130 Posts
rhythmical remedy has earned some respectrhythmical remedy has earned some respect
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Bloody beggars the lot of you I haven't even won and you lot are lining up

Quote:
View Post
How about giving you your 100th thanks?
Yes that will get you 100CHF extra. Green cards on the other hand are worth their weight in gold. So print those tiny green cards (1:1 size) and weigh them I know I am tight!


Quote:
View Post
What about me
Well I will take care you you as you have thanked and given me positive rep. Nice house in Lugano with a motor boat ok for you?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rhythmical remedy for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 03.03.2008, 12:35
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,996
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,107 Times in 4,523 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on Lottery winnings

Quote:
View Post
... but in the UK you've already paid tax on your stake - a bit of each 1GBP bet is tax. In Switzerland there is no tax element in the stake, therefore the winnings are taxed. i.e. a few lucky winners pay more tax instead of many paying smaller amounts.

Even at the bookies (in the UK) and on less publicly acceptable gambling you have a choice of paying tax on the stake or the winnings - making the gamble twice as interesting - and most pay on the stake.

Of course, you have already paid income tax on the stake, anyway, so the gambling tax is a second charge whichever way you look at it.

Even in the UK where the lottery win is tax free, the moment it's in the bank it starts attracting interest which is, of course, taxed.

But, back to the op, I won 60 CHF using the Swisslotto online thingy, and all 60 CHF was credited to my account which I should declare on my tax return - so why the with-holding tax at the Kiosk? Seems a bit strange to me.
Me too. I won 54CHF once (and I one EUR50 once too, but that's another story! Please universe add some zeros!), both in the EuroMillions and I was handed all the money in my hand. I remember they mentioned something about if I wanted a tax slip or receipt, I said, no. And that was it.

Is this another cantonal difference??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lottery winnings tax, vegan cheese




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paying tax on a gift sent to me?? saharanz Finance/banking/taxation 65 06.09.2011 11:30
Am i already paying for Cable TV Bugot TV/internet/telephone 4 15.09.2007 11:59
How much should I be paying for rent? moz Housing in general 7 23.08.2007 20:54
Paying Bills telandy Daily life 39 08.07.2007 17:53
Paying for permit? juliew Permits/visas/government 9 07.06.2007 19:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0