Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 19.04.2016, 12:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,377
Groaned at 504 Times in 331 Posts
Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,872 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but is it wrong to make generalizations?

I'll always thought that Indians make great computer programmers because they are generally, very good at maths.

A sweeping generalization - but a nice one. Which comes back to the criticism thing again.
Nope, only nice for those benefiting from it, and still incorrect in the end.
Which is a new problem, by trying to be nice and making a blank shot generalization, you are negative towards other, to a possible extend of positive discrimination.

Why not saying such or such individual has x or y skills, instead of categorizing people like herd?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #422  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:02
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,549
Groaned at 305 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 15,994 Times in 6,542 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Nope, only nice for those benefiting from it, and still incorrect in the end.
Which is a new problem, by trying to be nice and making a blank shot generalization, you are negative towards other, to a possible extend of positive discrimination.

Why not saying such or such individual has x or y skills, instead of categorizing people like herd?
CorsebouTheReturn has an incredible skill at not smelling even though he never showers or bathes as he sprays himself with scent before going out.

But being serious, does Migros have such a dull selection of food because Peter Meier in Glarus doesn't like anything different from what he normally eats or because the Swiss are generally unadventurous with food?
Or did you want me to add that Peter Meier has great tractor driving skills?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #423  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,377
Groaned at 504 Times in 331 Posts
Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,872 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
CorsebouTheReturn has an incredible skill at not smelling even though he never showers or bathes as he sprays himself with scent before going out.
Well, see at least you don't do some nasty generalization about indians or others.

That's progress, at least for the form. As for the actual content...
One step at the time, like when a baby's learning to walk!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #424  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:07
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 152 Posts
sudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post

Swiss is not a race.
Calling "racism" for everything is also negative attitude.
Maybe Generalization or stereotype (which are also both negative behavior), but definitely not racism.
Ok. Accepted. I used the term loosely there. But branding a whole nation and its people in a certain negative light, stereotyping, as you rightly said, is pretty close.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baselland
Posts: 171
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 240 Times in 92 Posts
stupot is considered knowledgeablestupot is considered knowledgeablestupot is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
But is a generalization about the Swiss being unable to take any form of criticism or being able to apologise any different from other nations saying the British are always apologising and saying sorry - even if they've done nothing worthy of an apology?
I don't think it's really different, but I don't think this is what's getting some upset, I think it's more the posts that are basically likening Switzerland to Nazi Germany (Swastika in ZRH SBB, everyone against the Credit Suisse boss because he's black, all the police are racist etc, etc.) with a tone of hatred in the message.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,377
Groaned at 504 Times in 331 Posts
Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,872 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
But being serious, does Migros have such a dull selection of food because Peter Meier in Glarus doesn't like anything different from what he normally eats or because the Swiss are generally unadventurous with food?
Or did you want me to add that Peter Meier has great tractor driving skills?
It's complex and I don't have time right now.
I guess some generalization are less worse than others. And probably what you are referring to is a byproduct of a specific culture.
Even its fair to say that there are strong different cultures in Switzerland due to significant canton differences.

Maybe also the impact matters when you are describing something.
Saying indians are good at math seems very wide statement, without apparent basis that maybe your own observation or experience. And worse, it can create positive discrimination or false expectations.
As opposed to Swiss are generally unadventurous with food... Maybe its more observed in many shops, but again that could be due to historical import cost, country was protected, not so long ago not so many foreigners, etc...
Which seems to be "genetics" vs "historical, practical and economical reasons".

Right have to go!
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 152 Posts
sudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but is it wrong to make generalizations?

I'll always thought that Indians make great computer programmers because they are generally, very good at maths.
I agree with the 'criticism' part. But a sweeping generalization is in general misleading and often wrong. I also agree, with how some others have explained a lot also depends on how you say it. Samples:

1. 'Only' Indians make great computer programmers.
As an Indian, I will feel happy, but as a non-Indian I might be offended.

2. Indians make great computer programmers.
As an Indian, I will feel happy.

3. Indians 'only' make great computer programmers.
As an Indian, I might be offended. We also make great curries :-)

4. Indians!! Make great computer programmers??
Ahem!! I reserve my comments.

By the way, they are all sweeping generalization and thus incorrect. And if you are basing any decision based on it (pick any version) you might end up making a wrong choice.
Regards
__________________
Regards
Sudeepta
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank sudeepta for this useful post:
  #428  
Old 19.04.2016, 13:26
CathHarmony's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Best City, Greatest Nation
Posts: 1,392
Groaned at 197 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 1,193 Times in 634 Posts
CathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Nothing really ...
The thread is placed in the complaints section where it has the description:

"Something really annoyed you lately? Get it off your chest here. If you are easily offended, please look elsewhere. No ads in this section please"

I posted my views and an opinion which many objected to. But its ok we all have different experiences which form our views. It was never my intention to offend anyone here, as all my comment was of a general direction until I was informed that I hadn't said any nice things about the country and also that I was treating the country with "contempt" ...previously to that I had been accused of trolling just because I said in jest that the Swiss like to eat cats. (as reported by the Swiss)

It does make one think though that if a small number of people can react with such a ferocity just because I failed to praise the Swiss , then it sort of explains why some people react the way they do when their religion is critiqued. Interesting line of thought really ..

but really you are right .. what on earth am i doing here?
i'd put it down to the impending full moon , the mods should all be on red alert these next few days of cray.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 19.04.2016, 14:26
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 902
Groaned at 28 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,944 Times in 731 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
But is a generalization about the Swiss being unable to take any form of criticism or being able to apologise any different from other nations saying the British are always apologising and saying sorry - even if they've done nothing worthy of an apology?
No.
Those are the Canadians.
They are a dirty people who fornicate with moose.


Edit: But they make great hockey players.

Last edited by VFR on top; 19.04.2016 at 14:31. Reason: need to add a positive statement per CtR
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #430  
Old 19.04.2016, 14:35
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,737
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
No.
Those are the Canadians.
They are a dirty people who fornicate with moose.


Edit: But they make great hockey players.
Does fornicating with a moose make you a great hockey player or do you fornicate with a moose because you are a great hockey player?

Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 19.04.2016, 14:55
NobodyImportant's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ZH
Posts: 180
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 89 Posts
NobodyImportant has earned the respect of manyNobodyImportant has earned the respect of manyNobodyImportant has earned the respect of many
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Does fornicating with a moose make you a great hockey player or do you fornicate with a moose because you are a great hockey player?

I don't know but I heard that the new strain of gonorrhea is untreatable.
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 19.04.2016, 15:00
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,928
Groaned at 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 15,949 Times in 5,625 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

I agree, I hate the way new posters are treated:

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #433  
Old 19.04.2016, 15:36
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,110
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,488 Times in 4,543 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
No.
Those are the Canadians.
They are a dirty people who fornicate with moose.


Edit: But they make great hockey players.

There is no empirical evidence that having moose genes improves your hockey skills. Neither does more than 0.05% Moosehead in your blood improve your hockey skills. Wearing shorts when it is still below freezing, on the other hand...


Sorry.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #434  
Old 19.04.2016, 23:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,114
Groaned at 23 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 772 Times in 465 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
But being serious, does Migros have such a dull selection of food because Peter Meier in Glarus doesn't like anything different from what he normally eats or because the Swiss are generally unadventurous with food?
Or did you want me to add that Peter Meier has great tractor driving skills?
The mistake would be to assume that people adventurous go to migros for the basic stuff, but then get the rest elsewhere. There are a lot of asian markets, weird vegan stuff, etc.
At this point you get offended.
Anyway this is an insult to migros, which half the coop-crowd hate anyway (except for cakes), not to a group of persons or a nation.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meerkat33 for this useful post:
  #435  
Old 20.04.2016, 13:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,032
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,987 Times in 10,887 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

It's not just new posters who are treated very badly either. Some who have tried to be really helpful, both on here and in practical terms in real life - are treated abominably by a few - this at a time when they all know that one is at very low point. Kicking people when they are down is just not a good way imho.

What is the male equivalent of 'a coven of witches'? Basta, enough, ša suffit, genug- end of.

So you are right Grumpy and others- some don't return because they were bitten at the first hurdle. Others have had enough, because life is hard enough without being kicked repeatedly when you are down.

Last edited by Odile; 20.04.2016 at 14:05.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #436  
Old 20.04.2016, 13:19
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,549
Groaned at 305 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 15,994 Times in 6,542 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
The mistake would be to assume that people adventurous go to migros for the basic stuff, but then get the rest elsewhere. There are a lot of asian markets, weird vegan stuff, etc.
.
What supermarkets stock tends to reflect what and how people eat.
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 20.04.2016, 16:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,369
Groaned at 221 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 7,877 Times in 4,253 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
It's not just new posters who are treated very badly either. Some who have tried to be really helpful, both on here and in practical terms in real life - are treated abominably by a few - this at a time when they all know that one is at very low point. Kicking people when they are down is just not a good way imho.

What is the male equivalent of 'a coven of witches'? Basta, enough, ša suffit, genug- end of.

So you are right Grumpy and others- some don't return because they were bitten at the first hurdle. Others have had enough, because life is hard enough without being kicked repeatedly when you are down.
Odile, I hope it's not you who had enough.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 20.04.2016, 16:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,368
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
It's not just new posters who are treated very badly either. Some who have tried to be really helpful, both on here and in practical terms in real life - are treated abominably by a few - this at a time when they all know that one is at very low point. Kicking people when they are down is just not a good way imho.

What is the male equivalent of 'a coven of witches'? Basta, enough, ša suffit, genug- end of.

So you are right Grumpy and others- some don't return because they were bitten at the first hurdle. Others have had enough, because life is hard enough without being kicked repeatedly when you are down.
This forum isn't (and never has been from what I have read) for massaging peoples egos or for people to come expecting to be told everything is going to be ok or that people agree with everything they are saying. if you want that then go register on Mumsnet.

When people talk rubbish they will be called out for it. If people behave in a way that other people disagree with then they will voice that opinion.

If people are not adult enough to take criticism from complete strangers on the chin then they shouldn't be using internet forums to broach their personal issues. End of story.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #439  
Old 20.04.2016, 16:25
19Monica's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 221
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 73 Posts
19Monica has earned the respect of many19Monica has earned the respect of many19Monica has earned the respect of many
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
When people talk rubbish they will be called out for it.
You constantly talk rubbish Richdog and it hurts my eyes when I read your posts, not because they're wrong but because you're miserable what I must assume is 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 19Monica for this useful post:
This user groans at 19Monica for this post:
  #440  
Old 20.04.2016, 16:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,368
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
You constantly talk rubbish Richdog and it hurts my eyes when I read your posts, not because they're wrong but because you're miserable what I must assume is 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I rest my case.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PETA (People for the ethical treatment of animals) ... "aren't" Desert Rat International affairs/politics 0 27.02.2013 19:43
Complain to the SBB about the posters Ittigen Complaints corner 244 27.09.2011 19:22
Foreigners not the target of the latest SVP posters panda Swiss politics/news 109 12.05.2011 17:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0