Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 8004 Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 13 Posts
lil_ferret has earned some respectlil_ferret has earned some respect
Bad manners from Forum members [Marketplace no-shows]

I know, who'd have thought our fellow members could provoke me to resort to complaints corner.

I'm selling stuff right here on English Forum. I've had a number of people express an interest, arrange to come and look or collect, and simply not turn up. When I contact them to check if something has happened/they are lost the usual response is "I just realized you live too far away for me to travel to you".



Seriously?? The location is in the post title!! And it's less than an hour from Zurich HB!!

Stop wasting my time and yours and only contact me AFTER you've looked at a map!!

@ the Moderator: can we have a wall of shame?? I bet these people are repeat offenders.

Rant over. Feel better now.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:08
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,402
Groaned at 281 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 14,591 Times in 4,484 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
I know, who'd have thought our fellow members could provoke me to resort to complaints corner.

Rant over. Feel better now.
It's very inconsiderate of them. It kind of pisses me off too when people rant about the Swiss but are not one iota better themselves. Guess it's human nature.

I hope you sell your stuff soon.

Edit: Our official wall of fame can be seen up on the right hand corner: red dots. They say a lot. Give those posters some bad rep points and you'll be warning other to be wary.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 8004 Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 13 Posts
lil_ferret has earned some respectlil_ferret has earned some respect
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
It's very inconsiderate of them. It kind of pisses me off too when people rant about the Swiss but are not one iota better themselves. Guess it's human nature.

I hope you sell your stuff soon.

Edit: Our official wall of fame can be seen up on the right hand corner: red dots. They say a lot. Give those posters some bad rep points and you'll be warning other to be wary.
Oooo, red dots! I'll be trying these out!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:47
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 778
Groaned at 92 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Name and shame, its better than red dots!
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:53
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,857
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,680 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
Name and shame, its better than red dots!
True. And it gives the member the chance to post their defense. And a use for that massive tub of popcorn
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:56
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 1,429
Groaned at 78 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,148 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

name and shame! no shows happened many times to me too.

another thing I find annoying is when you're trying to sell something someone tries to rain on your sale by saying you can buy the same thing on X for 5% cheaper or what you're selling isn't worth it etc
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MidfieldGeneral for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.04.2014, 10:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wohlen AG
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 19 Times in 6 Posts
2wheelyank has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

I bought a bicycle from aforum member last weekend and the meeting went great. One thing that I noticedwas that he was the second person I contacted which had me wait because anotherperson had made an appointment. Fortunately for me, the person didn't show so Igot the bike.
I have bought and sold manythings, cars, bikes, motorcycles in the US and not once would I tell someonethat I would wait for them to show up. If you're interested, show up as soon aswe can arrange a meeting time with cash in hand.
Iíve even had two interestedparties schedule to arrive simultaneously when I have been tight on time. I wouldtell each that they will be there to view, test ride the item together so itísa little less awkward for them but I cant imagine where I would have oneinterested party wait for someone who has made an appointment.


Eric
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 2wheelyank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.04.2014, 10:12
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 778
Groaned at 92 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
I bought a bicycle from aforum member last weekend and the meeting went great. One thing that I noticedwas that he was the second person I contacted which had me wait because anotherperson had made an appointment. Fortunately for me, the person didn't show so Igot the bike.
I have bought and sold manythings, cars, bikes, motorcycles in the US and not once would I tell someonethat I would wait for them to show up. If you're interested, show up as soon aswe can arrange a meeting time with cash in hand.
Iíve even had two interestedparties schedule to arrive simultaneously when I have been tight on time. I wouldtell each that they will be there to view, test ride the item together so itísa little less awkward for them but I cant imagine where I would have oneinterested party wait for someone who has made an appointment.


Eric
Next purchase should be a new keyboard that's space bar works
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 16.04.2014, 23:31
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 778
Groaned at 92 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
Name and shame, its better than red dots!
It's the only way. Don't let someone else suffer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,139
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

I guess after the first no show you didnt ask the others specifically if they know where you are etc ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 8004 Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 13 Posts
lil_ferret has earned some respectlil_ferret has earned some respect
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
I guess after the first no show you didnt ask the others specifically if they know where you are etc ?
I did provide full address details, alternative address should the satnav not recognize the actual address, the name of the nearest bus stop and my phone number.
I assumed that people who are smart enough to remember a username and password would have the sense to check google maps?
I should've known better than to assume I guess.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank lil_ferret for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 27.04.2014, 09:18
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
I did provide full address details, alternative address should the satnav not recognize the actual address, the name of the nearest bus stop and my phone number.
I assumed that people who are smart enough to remember a username and password would have the sense to check google maps?
I should've known better than to assume I guess.
And there still are printed maps and atlases (for towns, Cantons, countries) on the market which you can take with you when on your way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.04.2014, 09:37
Glendyn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ZH. Horgen area
Posts: 775
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 933 Times in 385 Posts
Glendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

My opinion is that people shouldn't reserve things or give priority to the first person to send a PM etc. It just encourages the 'I'll bag it and think about it later' syndrome.
Imagine if it was like that in a shop -
Customer: "I'll take this please"
Shop: "Sorry someone said two days ago they were interested - I'm waiting for them..."

Just sell the stuff to the first person that gives the cash - with a reservation being say 30mins while someone says I'm on my way....

An this business of posts saying "Sent PM for the XXXXX" is just plain selfish bagging to put others off. I have had this and the member didn't even say they would have it - the PM was a asking if I'd take much less... Or someone else simply asking if it's still available - then nothing...
Let the seller post when it's sold only.
__________________
For sale: Baby Equipment & Tissot Swiss Watch
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Glendyn for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 27.04.2014, 09:57
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,183
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,311 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
My opinion is that people shouldn't reserve things or give priority to the first person to send a PM etc. It just encourages the 'I'll bag it and think about it later' syndrome.
Imagine if it was like that in a shop -
Customer: "I'll take this please"
Shop: "Sorry someone said two days ago they were interested - I'm waiting for them..."

Just sell the stuff to the first person that gives the cash - with a reservation being say 30mins while someone says I'm on my way....

An this business of posts saying "Sent PM for the XXXXX" is just plain selfish bagging to put others off. I have had this and the member didn't even say they would have it - the PM was a asking if I'd take much less... Or someone else simply asking if it's still available - then nothing...
Let the seller post when it's sold only.
I get what you're saying but what happens when you live miles away from ... well ... practically everyone and whilst I don't mind travelling quite a distance to get exactly what I need, certainly can't do it at the drop of a hat?

I'm really grateful to the numerous people on this forum who have allowed me to reserve things and kept hold of it, sometimes for three or four weeks, (in one case a few months) until I can get over ZŁrich to collect. My living and dining room look so very much smarter for their understanding.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank ecb for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 27.04.2014, 11:03
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 8,404
Groaned at 328 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 13,987 Times in 6,144 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
An this business of posts saying "Sent PM for the XXXXX" is just plain selfish bagging to put others off.
We do often tend to delete such posts if we see them, especially from newbies. Very occasionally there may be some additional info or question relevant to others, but otherwise they should be binned. Feel free to report any such posts if you see them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:11
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,183
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,311 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post



Seriously?? The location is in the post title!! And it's less than an hour from Zurich HB!!

Stop wasting my time and yours and only contact me AFTER you've looked at a map!!

@ the Moderator: can we have a wall of shame?? I bet these people are repeat offenders.

Rant over. Feel better now.
Having suffered this in the past on a number of occasions, I am now as specific as I can be and state the exact location of pick up. But still last week I had someone pounce on an item then spend days getting back to me with bizarre suggestions for pick up and then when I insisted on the location mentioned in the ad, replied "oh but I hardly ever come there".

It seems there is nothing you can do - except vent in complainer's corner.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank ecb for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:24
CathHarmony's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Best City, Greatest Nation
Posts: 1,412
Groaned at 197 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 1,208 Times in 641 Posts
CathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

i once bought something on ricardo and on the map it looked doable, i ended up getting lost in the woods in winter at night..

god bless the guy he called me as i finally found a bus stop and drove to me. some of us are just confident yet specially (whoa spacially gets spell checked to specially) challenged..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CathHarmony for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 8004 Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 13 Posts
lil_ferret has earned some respectlil_ferret has earned some respect
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
i once bought something on ricardo and on the map it looked doable, i ended up getting lost in the woods in winter at night..

god bless the guy he called me as i finally found a bus stop and drove to me. some of us are just confident yet specially (whoa spacially gets spell checked to specially) challenged..
That's the point though, you actually bothered to venture out of your house to collect it!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:49
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,487 Times in 9,548 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
i once bought something on ricardo and on the map it looked doable, i ended up getting lost in the woods in winter at night..

god bless the guy he called me as i finally found a bus stop and drove to me. some of us are just confident yet specially (whoa spacially gets spell checked to specially) challenged..
Something similar happened to me. Bought something on Ricardo and when i went to pick it up I found I had totally underestimated the scale of the map I'd printed. I was the only person on the post bus, got off at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere (even the driver asked if I was really sure I wanted to get off here) and then spent half an eternity trudging through a dark wood. The guy sent his son out with the tractor to look for me and then invired me to stay for dinner and we chatted for ages and ages after that. He finally drove me to Biel station. Now that was service and extreme kindness. especially seeing the item I bought only cost about 40CHF.

So who says the Swiss are all stingy barstewards?
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 15.04.2014, 09:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,464
Groaned at 954 Times in 673 Posts
Thanked 17,334 Times in 6,804 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad manners from Forum members

Quote:
View Post
i once bought something on ricardo and on the map it looked doable, i ended up getting lost in the woods in winter at night..

god bless the guy he called me as i finally found a bus stop and drove to me. some of us are just confident yet specially (whoa spacially gets spell checked to specially) challenged..
Quote:
View Post
Something similar happened to me. Bought something on Ricardo and when i went to pick it up I found I had totally underestimated the scale of the map I'd printed. I was the only person on the post bus, got off at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere (even the driver asked if I was really sure I wanted to get off here) and then spent half an eternity trudging through a dark wood. The guy sent his son out with the tractor to look for me and then invired me to stay for dinner and we chatted for ages and ages after that. He finally drove me to Biel station. Now that was service and extreme kindness. especially seeing the item I bought only cost about 40CHF.

So who says the Swiss are all stingy barstewards?
just think, with a bit of knouse and a basic smartphone all of that could have been completely avoided. Ain't technology grand...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
bad manners, marketplace, no shows




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SF TV shows English language available but no.... HAT TV/internet/telephone 6 26.02.2013 10:09
Unprofessional/bad manners SICKened Complaints corner 55 12.05.2012 20:33
Bad manners ..... Guest Daily life 14 01.06.2011 23:50
"Learn about our manners"... no, really! Guest Swiss politics/news 200 21.06.2010 22:49
Bad Manners - fighting back nickatbasel Complaints corner 10 17.11.2008 11:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0