English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   What's your EF pet hate? (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/211754-what-s-your-ef-pet-hate.html)

MusicChick 24.06.2014 16:46

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2184128)
People who think they're more Swiss than the Swiss just because they like it here and won't tolerate any criticism of their little slice of paradise :rolleyes:

Oui. Totalement.

It's a bit cute though, pioneering spirit. I kinda miss how much harder it used to be here, it's a breeze now, even with available bad bagels, over priced cheese cakes and expired tahini and brown sugar at every corner. Nothing worthy to nag about.

PaddyG 24.06.2014 16:49

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2184128)
People who think they're more Swiss than the Swiss just because they like it here and cannot tolerate any criticism of their little slice of paradise :rolleyes:

I love you too ;).

PaddyG 24.06.2014 16:51

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Mods who disappear for months on end, only to return with "I'm back, look what happened to ME!" thread ;).

Samaire13 24.06.2014 16:51

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Ah yes, two more things:
1) people who think this is the land of milk and honey where everything is perfect and everyone is automatically crazy rich, independent of the job they actually have.
2) and - of course - people who think it's impossible to live on 65k, but rather believe that this is really very close to absolute poverty, and consider 120k the bare minimum instead - again, of course, independent of one's job, experience, age, whatnot.

Leggat 24.06.2014 16:53

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
My pet hate: The search function

Not just here, all vbulletion forums, it simply is ineffective, and not dialed into serving people who know not-a-damn.

Try it now. Search for the terms below:

search function

You will find 4 results, and this thread will not be among them, though it is perhaps the most discussed, and most shared item of contempt, in thread.


On the topic of 'Swiss', I wonder if they are french speakers? "Suisse" is practically a cognate for Swiss, but translates to english as Switzerland. Der Schweiz does not help, as by comparison Deutschland, which has land in the the name, translates to Germany. I ramble. TL;DR, my hunch is most abusers of the term 'Swiss' may not be englishy speakers.

jacek 24.06.2014 16:54

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
I am at loggerheads with peeps who don't know how to find brown sugar.

Samaire13 24.06.2014 16:58

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leggat (Post 2184141)
On the topic of 'Swiss', I wonder if they are french speakers? "Suisse" is practically a cognate for Swiss, but translates to english as Switzerland. Der Schweiz does not help, as by comparison Deutschland, which has land in the the name, translates to Germany. I ramble. TL;DR, my hunch is most abusers of the term 'Swiss' may not be englishy speakers.

For me, the point is this: if someone wants to move here, maybe they should have least figured out what the name of the country is. Well, they're "only" planning to live here, so what does it matter, right… Anyone can google "Swiss" for half a second and find out that it is not the country's name…

And I'm moving to Finnish now! ;)

MusicChick 24.06.2014 17:00

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leggat (Post 2184141)
englishy

I like.

Anyways, I think the quality of search depends on the key words used. Mostly. It's good to combine with a google search. Though, my pet peeve probably also is a google scientist. Not that much independent thinking, a lot of googling. Anyone can find anything supporting any point at any given time.

TiMow 24.06.2014 17:12

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
ppl who can't be bothered to type properly dont use punctuation capitals or paragrgrphs and spcng but use abrviatns and txt spk o smthg else always using a sml i when refrrng to thmslvs and the others who whn they create a thread believe its there/they're/their property and can dictate the relvncy of replies and demand that ppl dont post anythng tht might b not wht they wanted

hannah'sauntie 24.06.2014 17:19

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
What I hate and love in equal measures about EF is how chuffin' addictive it is.

treesarehalal 24.06.2014 17:25

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2184128)
People who think they're more Swiss than the Swiss just because they like it here and cannot tolerate any criticism of their little slice of paradise :rolleyes:

People who won't give an example of what they're talking about.

TiMow 24.06.2014 17:33

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Coming to the forum, when there appears to be a fair amount of posting activity on a few hot threads, then as soon as I post, everything grinds to a halt and dies a death.

MusicChick 24.06.2014 17:37

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Robots. Black and white robotic ways..if people say Swiss or not, as long as they aren't predictably unchallenging or defensive. Swiss I don't mind. Heck - the whole world confuses my birtplace with some good dozen other places or can't even pronounce it.

Robots and unkind people. Shooting others down to make themselves big. I don't think it is so frequent here, though.

hannah'sauntie 24.06.2014 17:38

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 2184167)
Coming to the forum, when there appears to be a fair amount of posting activity on a few hot threads, then as soon as I post, everything grinds to a halt and dies a death.

Well, that's killed this thread then.

TiMow 24.06.2014 17:47

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 2184167)
Coming to the forum, when there appears to be a fair amount of posting activity on a few hot threads, then as soon as I post, everything grinds to a halt and dies a death.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannah'sauntie (Post 2184174)
Well, that's killed this thread then.

See - everyone's just biding their time and sitting on their hands, just to prove the point.

........ and there was me, thinking I must be on quite a few ignore lists.

hannah'sauntie 24.06.2014 17:52

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
You are not easily ignored TiMow :)

3Wishes 24.06.2014 17:55

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 2184176)
See - everyone's just biding their time and sitting on their hands, just to prove the point.

........ and there was me, thinking I must be on quite a few ignore lists.

Well, 9 minutes between hannah's post and yours. And yes, I was waiting to see if I should go and change your name to threadkiller. :p

hannah'sauntie 24.06.2014 18:00

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
1 Attachment(s)
And here's your new avatar..

MusicChick 24.06.2014 18:01

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 2184171)
Robots and unkind people. Shooting others down to make themselves big. I don't think it is so frequent here, though.

I take that back. Trolls musing on erasing most of our population :msnshock:

nickatbasel 24.06.2014 18:37

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
When someone asks a question, you spend a few minutes Googling for it and post an answer or some links and they never come back with a thank you.

That and trolls who come back under a different name.

Cheers,
Nick

jacek 24.06.2014 18:41

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickatbasel (Post 2184195)
When someone asks a question, you spend a few minutes Googling for it and post an answer or some links and they never come back with a thank you.

That and trolls who come back under a different name.

Cheers,
Nick

What was said above and truly helpful members.

Guest 24.06.2014 18:49

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrie F (Post 2184049)
I wish there was a way to filter the "new posts" threads according to what is belligerent and/or naughty and what isn't. :msnblush:

(It's tiresome to have to read through all that "for sale" etc. crap to get to the naughty stuff!)

I had the same problem. Then I realised I could just go to your profile and click on the "Find all posts by Carrie F" link :p

daboyblunder 24.06.2014 18:51

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
What really grinds my gears is when some one with a differing option proves me wrong.

miniMia 24.06.2014 18:53

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 2184004)
Mine is people who constantly refer to Switzerland as "Swiss" …..

Ie, "I have just moved to Swiss"

….argggh it drive me crazy!!

Swiss doesn't bother me so much as it's most likely not a native English speaker and it's sometimes a direct translation from another language. I assume they don't know any better, yet. ;)

Switz on the other hand bugs the bejeezus out of me because it's almost always an English native speaker being lazy.

My2pups 24.06.2014 19:06

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Please, please provide a better search tool...


Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbrinz (Post 2184040)
I wish people would perform a basic search before writing "I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I ... [cannot be bothered to look for my problem]
or [cannot think of a search parameter, as I have the brain of a fish]

If we ignore the question it looks offensive and not caring, but if we answer the OPs will never change their ways. So we have to answer gruffly, and that doesn't look very friendly either.

So please, please SEARCH before you post a question!


AbFab 24.06.2014 19:10

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
My pet hate is threads that look like they could be interesting, but have already reached page 4 and I have no idea if what I am about to post has already been said, but can't be bothered reading the previous posts...

Oldhand 24.06.2014 19:26

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Nastiness!

Pixie B 24.06.2014 19:31

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
I probably go against the grain, as many people have said the search function thing (which I had noticed already that it seems to irk a lot of people); well if I did have a hate/peeve about here it would probably be that this is not welcomed here!

Since joining here I am starting to use the function so not to piss anyone off, but it's not always that helpful for me and I'd kind of prefer to ask my own question anyway you know... Old threads may be out of date and tbh sometimes it's just nicer for replies to have a personal touch ;) I for one don't mind repeating myself... I don't really get what the big deal is.... :D

*runs away and takes cover*

Castro 24.06.2014 19:37

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
People who like to show off their superior language skills e.g. If you get a speeding ticket, you need to pay the rechnung by filling in your kontodaten, putting it into a Briefumschlag and then taking that to die Post. Make sure you send it einschreiben and don't forget to keep the Nachweis über den Versand in a safe place.

:confused:

TiMow 24.06.2014 19:40

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixie B (Post 2184236)
I probably go against the grain, as many people have said the search function thing (which I had noticed already that it seems to irk a lot of people); well if I did have a hate/peeve about here it would probably be that this is not welcomed here!

Since joining here I am starting to use the function so not to piss anyone off, but it's not always that helpful for me and I'd kind of prefer to ask my own question anyway you know... Old threads may be out of date and tbh sometimes it's just nicer for replies to have a personal touch ;) I for one don't mind repeating myself... I don't really get what the big deal is.... :D

*runs away and takes cover*



Just do as I do ........ always start a new thread - one of three things will happen:

1) it gets deleted;
2) it gets tagged on to the end of an old, existing thread; or
3) despite all odds, it's left alone and survives.

McTAVGE 24.06.2014 19:59

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
The green button. I still have not worked out what it does.:msncrazy:

My2pups 24.06.2014 20:03

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
You mean the green button next to your user name? If so, green means online and grey means offline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taveau (Post 2184261)
The green button. I still have not worked out what it does.:msncrazy:


Textoch 24.06.2014 20:07

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taveau (Post 2184261)
The green button. I still have not worked out what it does.:msncrazy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fduvall (Post 2184265)
You mean the green button next to your user name? If so, green means online and grey means offline.

Unless one chooses to be "invisible" under their Control Panel Options, then their button always appears grey to everyone else, even when they are online.

(Just adding that in case someone doesn't realize it is an option.)

Guest 24.06.2014 20:08

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
People who take everything literally, who state the bleedin' obvious, who lack basic reading comprehension skills, or who are just plain thick.

... except when any of the above apply to me, of course.

mirfield 24.06.2014 20:26

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

People who take everything literally, who state the bleedin' obvious, who lack basic reading comprehension skills, or who are just plain thick.

... except when any of the above apply to me, of course.
Haha. Reading between the lines, what DB is saying there is that sometimes you try to make a subtle point or sideways swipe, and somebody comes along and explains it 'cos they're too daft to notice it's obvious. They don't see that explaining it misses the point.

He doesn't mind when he does it himself though.

Tom1234 24.06.2014 20:35

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixie B (Post 2184236)
I probably go against the grain, as many people have said the search function thing (which I had noticed already that it seems to irk a lot of people); well if I did have a hate/peeve about here it would probably be that this is not welcomed here!

Since joining here I am starting to use the function so not to piss anyone off, but it's not always that helpful for me and I'd kind of prefer to ask my own question anyway you know... Old threads may be out of date and tbh sometimes it's just nicer for replies to have a personal touch ;) I for one don't mind repeating myself... I don't really get what the big deal is.... :D

*runs away and takes cover*

I agree with this.

If people don't want to answer then don't as no one's asking them too.

Has the Local complained about too much Bandwidth being used?

My pet peeve is that quite often, people do reply to these threads with out-of-date, inaccurate or just plain wrong information so even if you search, you'll probably get incorrect info anyway and when a thread is several pages long, finding the correct answer among the fluff is almost impossible.

mirfield 24.06.2014 20:35

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Textoch (Post 2184270)
Unless one chooses to be "invisible" under their Control Panel Options, then their button always appears grey to everyone else, even when they are online.

Except when it appears red for hidden people who are online. ;)

SOBEIT 24.06.2014 21:15

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Failing to get the joke or take a comment personally. Then in retaliation, acting like a child dishing out red blobs, even if it nothing to do with them.

McTAVGE 24.06.2014 21:25

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fduvall (Post 2184265)
You mean the green button next to your user name? If so, green means online and grey means offline.


Oh no! And there I was thinking it was some kind of popular vote meaning the greener it got, the more likely I was to represent EF to the Bern Parliament!

k_and_e 24.06.2014 21:27

Re: What's your EF pet hate?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taveau (Post 2184261)
The green button. I still have not worked out what it does.:msncrazy:

It starts the engine


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0