Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:27
Nev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
The last time I looked chicken breast fillets in Tesco/Sainsbury etc were pretty pricey. I remember flinching at the price when I bought my first whole chicken here, but when I tasted it thought it was worth it.
What you can taste is probably all those hormones, steroids and antibiotics they pump them with so they can put on the pounds quickly in the overcrowded breeding sheds.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Sorry for my misunderstanding. I have just not experienced a difference nor have I experienced low quality at Coop or Migro's regarding the fresh produce.
This may come across as harsh, but you have to know what quality is to recognise low quality. You, like several earlier posters, clearly do not know what decent fruit and veg look or taste like.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mr Happy for this post:
  #183  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:42
Colonelboris's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 1,131
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,273 Times in 671 Posts
Blog Entries: 2
Colonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond reputeColonelboris has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
What you can taste is probably all those hormones, steroids and antibiotics they pump them with so they can put on the pounds quickly in the overcrowded breeding sheds.
Sorry - I joined this one a bit late - are you on about eating chavs?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Colonelboris for this useful post:
  #184  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
75 Swissies for a kilo of steak?



I will continue my US > CH smuggling exercises ...

(if the Swiss customs people are reading this forum - I am just kidding, of course)
Quite right, about a $1 a lb IIRC from Germany courtesy of the DoD. Its generally tastier than all but the Scottish steaks and perfect for bbq's.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usagi23 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

I would like to add that I agree as well. The produce I buy from the Coop does get mouldy rather fast (like one-to-two days after purchase)
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Sorry - I joined this one a bit late - are you on about eating chavs?
The problem with eating chavs is the squealing noise as you shove them in the oversized oven, all that "I am not your slave" and "Oim facking wellhard youuuuu slaaaaaag" noise coming from the oven. Also, its annoying when you have to peel the burberry baseball caps off their head when cooked, invariably they are wearing a fake polyester one too so it melts everywhere and the entire oven becomes a pain to clean.

One quick word of advice though, always always take the mobile phones off them before slinging them in the pot, I caught one mid text the other day "M8, dis geezr iz lik cookg me", I hate to think what the silicon and plastic from the phone would have done to the taste.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mr Happy for this useful post:
  #187  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:52
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Methinks rather that you are so trustworthy that you can't be ars*d to check the veg and fruit you're buying... Sorry, but somehow I never end up with fur-covered goods (Ok, I don't buy it often, but still...)

Quote:
View Post
This may come across as harsh, but you have to know what quality is to recognise low quality. You, like several earlier posters, clearly do not know what decent fruit and veg look or taste like.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank herc82 for this useful post:
  #188  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
What you can taste is probably all those hormones, steroids and antibiotics they pump them with so they can put on the pounds quickly in the overcrowded breeding sheds.
Isn't that a UK thing?
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 08.07.2008, 14:55
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 51 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Quite right, about a $1 a lb IIRC from Germany courtesy of the DoD. Its generally tastier than all but the Scottish steaks and perfect for bbq's.
Sorry, I don't have PX shopping privileges.



So I shop at Kroger / Target / Albertson's / whatever when I am in the U.S. ... steaks usually on sale for $6-7 / lb. Pork loin for $4 / lb. Etc.

Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:12
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 585 Posts
peachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
It's either that or management being unwilling to try something new?

London claims to be one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet. Over 300 languages spoken. People from many different countries and cultures. And yet nobody has an appetite for rabbit? Strange world.
Tesco is absolutely massive, they have the best profile of the UK shopper available thought the clubcard. They know exactly what will sell and what will not. It's down to demand, if they think they can sell rabbit at no profit they will probably do so to give them an edge above the competition. If they think that selling rabbit or horse will offend a minority and give ASDA or Sainsbury's spindoctors an edge they will not.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, I don't have PX shopping privileges.



So I shop at Kroger / Target / Albertson's / whatever when I am in the U.S. ... steaks usually on sale for $6-7 / lb. Pork loin for $4 / lb. Etc.

Well if you ever need something thats proving tricky, let me know, I go about once a quarter.

2lb blocks of velveeta... hmmmmmm
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:21
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 51 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Well if you ever need something thats proving tricky, let me know, I go about once a quarter.

2lb blocks of velveeta... hmmmmmm
Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:25
JVC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that a UK thing?
Just what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:28
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,002
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,585 Times in 7,122 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
This may come across as harsh, but you have to know what quality is to recognise low quality. You, like several earlier posters, clearly do not know what decent fruit and veg look or taste like.
Isn't that a wee bit patronising? I usually manage to find decent quality veg and fruit and I avoid any of it that looks a bit ropey. I've been unlucky a couple of times (see earlier post about squishy strawberries at the bottom of the carton) but on the whole the produce isn't bad.

The Tesco fruit and veg often looks fabulous and luscious but you get your everlasting Dutch tomatoes home and they taste of water and little else but if that is quality to you, you can keep it.

Misshapen veggies in Migros which perhaps only last a couple of days but taste like the real deal are my preference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #195  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:36
Nev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Just what I was thinking.
JVC ....you referred to tesco/sainsburys so my comments about cheap hormone fed chickens were indeed directed at the UK. Am I in the twilight zone or something?
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:41
Nev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Tesco is absolutely massive, they have the best profile of the UK shopper available thought the clubcard. They know exactly what will sell and what will not. It's down to demand, if they think they can sell rabbit at no profit they will probably do so to give them an edge above the competition. If they think that selling rabbit or horse will offend a minority and give ASDA or Sainsbury's spindoctors an edge they will not.
Agreed. But Tesco is so big it shapes demand. Brits will start eating Rabbit when Tesco tells them they should buy it.

Last edited by Nev; 08.07.2008 at 15:42. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 08.07.2008, 15:54
JVC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
JVC ....you referred to tesco/sainsburys so my comments about cheap hormone fed chickens were indeed directed at the UK. Am I in the twilight zone or something?
Apologies if it didn't read very well, but the "here" in my second sentence referred to Switzerland (Manor to be precise):

Quote:
I remember flinching at the price when I bought my first whole chicken here, but when I tasted it thought it was worth it.
Reading this thread makes me realise that I am lucky to have a Manor food supermarket close by. It may be slightly more expensive for fruit and veg than Migros and the Coop (although often competes well on price), but I am only rarely disappointed with the quality.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 08.07.2008, 16:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Agreed. But Tesco is so big it shapes demand. Brits will start eating Rabbit when Tesco tells them they should buy it.
I think you forgot Jamie Oliver... That guy will be the first billionaire TV chef. The B4stard*.

* Actually his Dad's got a place in Stansted village and its quite nice, pricey though.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 08.07.2008, 17:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that a wee bit patronising? I usually manage to find decent quality veg and fruit and I avoid any of it that looks a bit ropey. I've been unlucky a couple of times (see earlier post about squishy strawberries at the bottom of the carton) but on the whole the produce isn't bad.
Quote:
View Post

The Tesco fruit and veg often looks fabulous and luscious but you get your everlasting Dutch tomatoes home and they taste of water and little else but if that is quality to you, you can keep it.

Misshapen veggies in Migros which perhaps only last a couple of days but taste like the real deal are my preference.


A wee bit? Definetly. But listen to yourself!

“Tesco [blah blah blah]”
I basically agree, and nowhere on this site will you find me claiming supremacy of Tesco’s veggies from personal opinion, tomatoes, the often cited example are larger and look perfect and do not taste of tomato, there are other ingredients however, South African apples for example that taste just fine

Your words: “I usually find”, “I avoid any of that looks ropey”, “I’ve been unlucky a couple of times”, “on the whole the produce isn’t bad” and “Misshapen veggies in Migros which perhaps only last a couple of days”.
Ask me about Familiar or HL Markt in Germany, Albert Hein in the Netherlands, France’s supermarkets (not Monoprix) or just about anything in Italy and I will point out to you that they are not only tastier but last longer than anything the two supermarkets in CH provide. For the 30th time, it is not that the UK produce is better, its that the Swiss supermarkets are screwing over their customers with poor to awful quality veggies. Just try buying an avocado or a sweet potato, 9/10 the avocado’s are too ripe or as hard as stone, the Sweet potatoes are the size of my PC’s mouse. Fruit is a life-risker (except bananas for some reason) and potatoes come pre-rotten in a plastic bag. Onions are sold in two varieties, old and rotten or just rotten. Often in 2kg bags of which you end up binning 75%, I mean, who needs 2KG of onions?

Its nuts, the entire Swiss public goes along to these supermarkets and buys their crap because they don’t know any better or have had a chance to know better. Remember, they are getting Swiss Quality!

The poster I was replying to earlier clearly has no idea what decent veg look like, but at least it is not their fault. You, perhaps even worse, realise that the quality is poor (based on your quotes above) but give it the shrug and think that you are getting taste at the cost of some rotten product!!! It really really doesn’t have to be this way. Go across a sodding border and find out for yourself!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mr Happy for this useful post:
This user groans at Mr Happy for this post:
  #200  
Old 08.07.2008, 17:12
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,253
Groaned at 181 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 17,624 Times in 7,484 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros and COOP - Low quality explained...

As far as I'm concerned I can't make proper Paella without proper rabbit. The shellfish I can get. The snails I can do without if I can't find any. But Paella without rabbit is like just a bit too basic for my taste.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coop, migros




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0