Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.11.2015, 16:46
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,734
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,381 Times in 7,393 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
RIP - Artificial Colours

A colleague bought in a large tube of Smarties today - much excitement was spread about the office at the thought of the brightly coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles of joy.

Much sadness followed, what came from the tube were not brightly coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles of joy but dull speckled coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles.

The vibrant reds, oranges, blues, yellows, greens, violets and browns replaced by dull speckled colours emanating as much joy as a January day building mud castles on Weston beach. I remember Smartie colours that were were visible even on a Black and White television. Chocolate nibbles of joy that leach permanent colour as soon as they were touched by a sweaty hand. They were summer days. They were happy days. They were bliss.

Bring back my childhood you Nestle bastards!!!
__________________
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 24.11.2015, 16:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,150
Groaned at 177 Times in 141 Posts
Thanked 10,842 Times in 3,601 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Did you feel good after eating them all?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.11.2015, 16:50
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,734
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,381 Times in 7,393 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
Did you feel good after eating them all?
It is 16:50 on a Tuesday - if there is a time for chemical driven hyperactivity it is now.

There is limit to how many Basel3 reports one brain can check in a day.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 24.11.2015, 16:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,749
Groaned at 209 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,918 Times in 3,729 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
A colleague bought in a large tube of Smarties today - much excitement was spread about the office at the thought of the brightly coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles of joy.

Much sadness followed, what came from the tube were not brightly coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles of joy but dull speckled coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles.
He forgot to mention they were 2 years past the expiration date...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:09
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,093
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,002 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

I remember as a kid wetting the red ones and pretending to have lipstick as the colour was so bright when you rubbed it on your lips
Of course the orange ones were my favourite but you are quite right - the colours have no real individual flavour and look very dull - and of course without all those E numbers we are all calm and not on a high like before
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank smackerjack for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:24
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,754
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,033 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Smarties, probably the only pregnancy craving I experienced...

But the ones I bought looked like this:



I thought they looked pretty bright coloured? (though I missed the purple ones... What happened to the purple ones?????)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:26
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,173
Groaned at 83 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,680 Times in 2,217 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Same for the "Quality Street" plastic box that Nestlé introduced! Bring back the tin box.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:27
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,380
Groaned at 54 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 8,553 Times in 3,140 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
It is 16:50 on a Tuesday - if there is a time for chemical driven hyperactivity it is now.

There is limit to how many Basel3 reports one brain can check in a day.
You can daydream that you're in the real Basel checking your Basel3 reports.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:34
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,754
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,033 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
Same for the "Quality Street" plastic box that Nestlé introduced! Bring back the tin box.
Tin? Back when I was a kid they always came inside cardboard tubes with plastic lids. (similar to the current ones, but the lid was impossible to get out, which lead to small explosions of colour when you were a kid wearing gloves trying to get into the chocolate goodness inside...)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:44
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,022
Groaned at 66 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,785 Times in 5,479 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
Tin? Back when I was a kid they always came inside cardboard tubes with plastic lids. (similar to the current ones, but the lid was impossible to get out, which lead to small explosions of colour when you were a kid wearing gloves trying to get into the chocolate goodness inside...)
They were the Smarties. Those lids were impossible and woe betide if you want to save some for later a put the lid back on.
The Quality street was always in a tin until fairly recently
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:46
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,173
Groaned at 83 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,680 Times in 2,217 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
Tin? Back when I was a kid they always came inside cardboard tubes with plastic lids. (similar to the current ones, but the lid was impossible to get out, which lead to small explosions of colour when you were a kid wearing gloves trying to get into the chocolate goodness inside...)
yes tin box like this one. My grandmother had a large collection of those. This is 70s-80s childhood.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.11.2015, 17:53
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,754
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,033 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
yes tin box like this one. My grandmother had a large collection of those. This is 70s-80s childhood.

Ooooooh! I thought you were still talking about Smarties! I know those boxes, my grandmother used to keep her sweing kit inside I never saw the real cookies though!

When I was a kid, tin boxes meant this:



Which, of course, had my mom's sweing kit. I continued the tradition by sticking mine inside one of those too (cookies were awesome, specially the ones with the thick salty grains on top)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.11.2015, 18:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: basel
Posts: 44
Groaned at 36 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 9 Posts
baselesque is considered a nuisancebaselesque is considered a nuisancebaselesque is considered a nuisance
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
The vibrant reds, oranges, blues, yellows, greens, violets and browns replaced by dull speckled colours

Would have thought you preferred black and white - you like everything else that way
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.11.2015, 20:25
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,489
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,851 Times in 906 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
A colleague bought in a large tube of Smarties today - much excitement was spread about the office at the thought of the brightly coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles of joy.

Much sadness followed, what came from the tube were not brightly coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles of joy but dull speckled coloured, crisp shelled, chocolate nibbles.

The vibrant reds, oranges, blues, yellows, greens, violets and browns replaced by dull speckled colours emanating as much joy as a January day building mud castles on Weston beach. I remember Smartie colours that were were visible even on a Black and White television. Chocolate nibbles of joy that leach permanent colour as soon as they were touched by a sweaty hand. They were summer days. They were happy days. They were bliss.

Bring back my childhood you Nestle bastards!!!
The fascinating history of the Smarty (or is it Smartie ?) is documented here, including the colour changes. Apparently, the European ones are now manufactured in Germany.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.11.2015, 22:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 829
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,357 Times in 478 Posts
Trollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
yes tin box like this one. My grandmother had a large collection of those. This is 70s-80s childhood.

My mother in law has one of those! Must have bought it on holiday as they aren't sold in Norway. It's super old, and only comes out when she bakes the 7 types of cookies for Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25.11.2015, 19:21
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 197
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 221 Times in 85 Posts
eairicbloodaxe has an excellent reputationeairicbloodaxe has an excellent reputationeairicbloodaxe has an excellent reputationeairicbloodaxe has an excellent reputation
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Many many moons ago, when I was but a kitten, I applied for a marketing managers job at Rowntrees in York, makers of Smarties. I think Nestle had only just bought them at that point.

As part of the interview, we got a tour of the factory which included seeing exactly how Smarties are made. A fascinating, multi step process. All the chocolate used was the same, except for the orange ones which had a few drops of orange essence in the mix. The candy coating was in fact sprayed on in multiple coats (just like spraying a car!), the last two being coloured.

The final shine was applied by tumbling the Smarties in what is basically a giant cement mixer. Put in one bucket of each of the colours, a teaspoon of wax (I seem to recall it was carnuba wax but it might have been beeswax) and tumble for a couple of minutes. Result? Shiny Smarties, all colours evenly distributed.

I didn't get the job, but I'll always remember that visit. Allow me to bore you sometime with my fascinating tales of how After Eights are made and the delights of the KitKat production line...

Regards



Ian
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank eairicbloodaxe for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 25.11.2015, 19:52
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,281
Groaned at 40 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,316 Times in 1,362 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
Many many moons ago, when I was but a kitten, I applied for a marketing managers job at Rowntrees in York, makers of Smarties. I think Nestle had only just bought them at that point.

As part of the interview, we got a tour of the factory which included seeing exactly how Smarties are made. A fascinating, multi step process. All the chocolate used was the same, except for the orange ones which had a few drops of orange essence in the mix. The candy coating was in fact sprayed on in multiple coats (just like spraying a car!), the last two being coloured.

The final shine was applied by tumbling the Smarties in what is basically a giant cement mixer. Put in one bucket of each of the colours, a teaspoon of wax (I seem to recall it was carnuba wax but it might have been beeswax) and tumble for a couple of minutes. Result? Shiny Smarties, all colours evenly distributed.

I didn't get the job, but I'll always remember that visit. Allow me to bore you sometime with my fascinating tales of how After Eights are made and the delights of the KitKat production line...

Regards



Ian



Ooh, I used to live up the road from that factory when I was an undergrad... the permanent smell of melted chocolate wafting up Haxby road put me off Kit Kats for the duration. It was all ok however when we moved for our third year! I also got a tour (for a project we were doing - some weird module that they made us do that had nothing to do with our major degree subject) and the stand out for me was watching the ladies smooth the coloured foil over the Easter eggs. And apparently they could eat as many chocolates as they wanted - but once employees had binged for a couple of days, they didn't really bother thereafter!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25.11.2015, 20:00
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,573
Groaned at 48 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 2,428 Times in 931 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

Quote:
View Post
I remember as a kid wetting the red ones and pretending to have lipstick as the colour was so bright when you rubbed it on your lips
Of course the orange ones were my favourite but you are quite right - the colours have no real individual flavour and look very dull - and of course without all those E numbers we are all calm and not on a high like before
Indeed, I tried to show my daughter the 'lipstick' trick, but it didn't work. Might as well be M&Ms if you can't do the lipstick. Also, the orange ones did taste of orange I'm sure they did, they don't now though.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 26.11.2015, 22:21
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 581
Groaned at 31 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 833 Times in 380 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP - Artificial Colours

It seems that none of you here experience blistered lips after eating Smarties. I'm jealous.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fall colours New_in_Zurich Travel/day trips/free time 13 22.10.2013 20:17
Ceiling Light wire colours ipoddle Housing in general 18 05.11.2011 11:03
Where to buy enamel colours? alsbergt Other/general 2 07.05.2011 17:26
Food colours -expiry date? Nina123 Food and drink 9 26.10.2009 00:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0