Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #681  
Old 01.11.2016, 22:59
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 4,841
Groaned at 35 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,542 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Highly unlikely.

...is mostly tits and belly, so at least you'd have a soft landing.

Good job too because I'd probably snap you like a wafer thin mint.

...like Monroe and Arthur Miller taken to a new extreme.

Just playing catch up ZuriRollt. I've had the builders in demolishing and laying new foundations, so my head is a mush of circular saws and pneumatic drills. Time to embrace the silence. But if Kedi doesn't wind her neck in, I have a digger in the back garden that she can borrow for that hole she's making for herself. I can't believe that 2 flights, 900 miles and 4 builders demolishing part of my house later, she's still papping on. Beggar's belief!

But whilst you're here ZuriRollt... The new kitchen will have high gloss white units and oak worktops. Would you go for matt or gloss white tiles? And what about the flooring? I could extend the existing terracotta tiled floor, or go for oak, or something completely different?
Matt tiles. Oak floor. (terracotta is rubbish in a kitchen)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #682  
Old 01.11.2016, 23:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,732 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Matt tiles. Oak floor. (terracotta is rubbish in a kitchen)
Hmmm. Interesting. I agree on the floor. The part that has been demolished had a terracotta floor with a black and white border (not my taste or choice but hey ho!), so it would feel good to be rid of the last vestiges.

Are you any good with bathrooms too? This one will be a blank canvas. 8'x7'6" room with a very large West facing window that floods with late afternoon sun and sunsets. It's currently painted in burnt orange with gold flake lacquer, which I will own up to as being my taste, and has an original roll top bath with gold coloured ball and claw feet. Unfortunately, the bath is totally impractical.
Reply With Quote
  #683  
Old 01.11.2016, 23:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,899
Groaned at 187 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 10,108 Times in 5,484 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. I agree on the floor. The part that has been demolished had a terracotta floor with a black and white border (not my taste or choice but hey ho!), so it would feel good to be rid of the last vestiges.

Are you any good with bathrooms too? This one will be a blank canvas. 8'x7'6" room with a very large West facing window that floods with late afternoon sun and sunsets. It's currently painted in burnt orange with gold flake lacquer, which I will own up to as being my taste, and has an original roll top bath with gold coloured ball and claw feet. Unfortunately, the bath is totally impractical.
Large honed natural stone floor tiles; not polished. I have anxiety that I will slip on a wet floor

Brick walls covered with ceramic tiles.
If the walls are some type of timber construction then you need to be very very careful that the wall cladding does not allow water penetration.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #684  
Old 01.11.2016, 23:46
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 4,841
Groaned at 35 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,542 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. I agree on the floor. The part that has been demolished had a terracotta floor with a black and white border (not my taste or choice but hey ho!), so it would feel good to be rid of the last vestiges.

Are you any good with bathrooms too? This one will be a blank canvas. 8'x7'6" room with a very large West facing window that floods with late afternoon sun and sunsets. It's currently painted in burnt orange with gold flake lacquer, which I will own up to as being my taste, and has an original roll top bath with gold coloured ball and claw feet. Unfortunately, the bath is totally impractical.
I've been reasonably successful with bathrooms since a fairly early age.

Gold flake eh? With orange. Hmn... could be worse, harvest gold, for example.

I take it that the ball and claw feet can be removed from the tub. Take them to a plater and tell them what colour you want. You could have them glass beaded (matt finish), Shot blasted or peened (look like cast), or leave them polished.

You could try painting them, but use an epoxy if you want it to stand up. Or take them to a shop which does powder coating.

You could close in the space under the bath with hard styro and tile it, but it would look like '70s crap.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #685  
Old 02.11.2016, 00:59
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,448
Groaned at 48 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,257 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post

...like Monroe and Arthur Miller taken to a new extreme.

Just playing catch up ZuriRollt. I've had the builders in demolishing and laying new foundations, so my head is a mush of circular saws and pneumatic drills. Time to embrace the silence. But if Kedi doesn't wind her neck in, I have a digger in the back garden that she can borrow for that hole she's making for herself. I can't believe that 2 flights, 900 miles and 4 builders demolishing part of my house later, she's still papping on. Beggar's belief!

But whilst you're here ZuriRollt... The new kitchen will have high gloss white units and oak worktops. Would you go for matt or gloss white tiles? And what about the flooring? I could extend the existing terracotta tiled floor, or go for oak, or something completely different?
Well, running the terrible risk of de-railing this thread (but hopefully the OP will be back soon and it will get back on-track), if you and JW want to make a go for it with you in your sumo suit (and your lovely OH is compliant), here's how Marilyn did it in her last place, terracotta and all (not my taste, but went for about USD 3'5 million - and that 6 years ago):

9-months-switzerland-honest-report-screen-shot-2016-11-02-00.50.44.png
Reply With Quote
  #686  
Old 02.11.2016, 07:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,631
Groaned at 209 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,802 Times in 3,662 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Well, running the terrible risk of de-railing this thread (but hopefully the OP will be back soon and it will get back on-track), if you and JW want to make a go for it with you in your sumo suit (and your lovely OH is compliant), here's how Marilyn did it in her last place, terracotta and all (not my taste, but went for about USD 3'5 million - and that 6 years ago):

Attachment 119599

Derailing the thread? Nah, don't you worry about that. A proper conversation about the latest Maserati would be in order now.

Quote:
View Post
I reckon, it has been a fairly entertaining thread
You have no idea how entertaining!

Most probably I won't be able to catch up with this thread till late in the evening and I'm already missing it.

Last edited by greenmount; 02.11.2016 at 07:41.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #687  
Old 02.11.2016, 08:59
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 10,276
Groaned at 97 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 12,100 Times in 5,995 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
For MusicChick!
Quote:
View Post
Derailing the thread? Nah, don't you worry about that. A proper conversation about the latest Maserati would be in order now.



You have no idea how entertaining!

Most probably I won't be able to catch up with this thread till late in the evening and I'm already missing it.
Don't stress, you know how it will go - we had countertops, oversize photos of Tom's guitars will probably follow soon, we had Phos's demand for erotic something, we had arrogance and mob talk, book bragging, grammatical pedantry, shit countries and and after the shit stirring - a faint hint on charitable spirit..there was enough patronizing so I predict a bit of good will today. The EF meteo also predicts a slight increase of cat memes, probably also more countertops or fishtalk, coming from the warmer climatic front. People with opposing views might get a bit of acceptance, Friday is almost here.

Nothing unusual - typical day on EF

PS: moving memes don't post on my cheap as* cell, people, post some funny not moving ones? Ta.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H.Pestalozzi
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #688  
Old 02.11.2016, 09:27
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,406
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 16,036 Times in 6,319 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Nothing unusual - typical day on EF

PS: moving memes don't post on my cheap as* cell, people, post some funny not moving ones? Ta.
No way! It's a funny one. There is a cat on the grass coming closer to an automatic yard water sprayer and once he gets his nose to it, the water starts and the cat jumps.

Silly cat
Reply With Quote
  #689  
Old 02.11.2016, 10:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sam99 has become a little unpopularSam99 has become a little unpopular
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

I have been here for over a year now and I find the swiss people are nice once you get to know them. Of course, you will run into a person who doesn't like the foreigner, but that is everywhere you go.
However, if you do not like the country then I think you should look for something else. Money is not everything.

cheers
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sam99 for this useful post:
  #690  
Old 02.11.2016, 11:14
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,245
Groaned at 494 Times in 376 Posts
Thanked 9,815 Times in 5,202 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
I have been here for over a year now and I find the swiss people are nice once you get to know them.
Maybe because you are likeable.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #691  
Old 02.11.2016, 11:27
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,140
Groaned at 84 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 16,319 Times in 6,302 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
I have been here for over a year now and I find the swiss people are nice once you get to know them. Of course, you will run into a person who doesn't like the foreigner, but that is everywhere you go.
However, if you do not like the country then I think you should look for something else. Money is not everything.

cheers
Quote:
View Post
Maybe because you are likeable.
There's a lot of truth in that. People usually mirror the person they are interacting with. If you exclude those who are serial hot-heads, or those who are just having a bad day/life themselves, and you consider the average person, I find the general rule of thumb is you will receive the same treatment you are giving out.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #692  
Old 02.11.2016, 11:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,732 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Well, running the terrible risk of de-railing this thread (but hopefully the OP will be back soon and it will get back on-track), if you and JW want to make a go for it with you in your sumo suit (and your lovely OH is compliant), here's how Marilyn did it in her last place, terracotta and all (not my taste, but went for about USD 3'5 million - and that 6 years ago.
OH - Μιχαήλ mou - is The One and it took far too long to find him to ever risk that, no matter how eloquent JW is. Johnny Depp had his chance, but let himself down badly and has gone to seed into the bargain. Even if Josh Holloway swam an ocean to find me (in Davidoff 'Cool Water' style), I'd have to say...

"No Josh! Just no lad! I have my Greek god now so you'll just have to swim away, you toned, chiselled, smouldering, moody piece of physical perfection you!"

As for Marilyn's kitchen, I quite like it, but the heavy wood roof is a tad oppressive. In a World where money were no object, I'd have gone for this with oak instead of mahogany worktops, and complete with mirror balls

Now where were we...?
Attached Thumbnails
9-months-switzerland-honest-report-idealkitchen.jpg  
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #693  
Old 02.11.2016, 12:02
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,245
Groaned at 494 Times in 376 Posts
Thanked 9,815 Times in 5,202 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
There's a lot of truth in that. People usually mirror the person they are interacting with. If you exclude those who are serial hot-heads, or those who are just having a bad day/life themselves, and you consider the average person, I find the general rule of thumb is you will receive the same treatment you are giving out.
Of course. And people pay attention to what they are looking out for, and then attract even more of it. I often take a person's feedback as more indicative of the person than what they report of.

I think the Swiss are wonderful.

Bees to honey, and flies to..... what?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #694  
Old 02.11.2016, 12:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,732 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
I have been here for over a year now and I find the swiss people are nice once you get to know them. Of course, you will run into a person who doesn't like the foreigner, but that is everywhere you go.
However, if you do not like the country then I think you should look for something else. Money is not everything.

cheers
Totally agree.

The Swiss people I know are very much like the people from my home town. They don't like brash, ostentatious people with a sense of entitlement. They say "grüezi" to you when you pass in the street. In my home town, people say "Oreet" in the same way. They appreciate good manners and a sense of humour. They're mildy inquisitive, in that, they like to be able to 'place' you, where you're from, and why you're here, and light up when you ask them about themselves. They're incredibly generous and appreciate small, reciprocal gestures rather than expensive gifts. But best of all, when you scratch the surface, they know how to party.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #695  
Old 02.11.2016, 13:24
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,486
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,595 Times in 3,076 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

What about the folk with a Ph.D ?
Reply With Quote
  #696  
Old 02.11.2016, 13:27
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 19,816
Groaned at 1,006 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 22,152 Times in 10,589 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
best of all, when you scratch the surface, they know how to party.
Indeed.

But in Switzerland, those are normally sex parties!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #697  
Old 02.11.2016, 13:31
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 10,276
Groaned at 97 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 12,100 Times in 5,995 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
What about the folk with a Ph.D ?
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #698  
Old 02.11.2016, 13:34
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 4,841
Groaned at 35 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,542 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
What about the folk with a Ph.D ?
Some only have a Masters... in baiting.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #699  
Old 02.11.2016, 13:57
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,551
Groaned at 96 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,805 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Some only have a Masters... in baiting.
There are too many "Bachelors" as well who are looking forward to get l..d I mean paid. The intranet world belongs to BS
Reply With Quote
  #700  
Old 02.11.2016, 14:01
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,899
Groaned at 187 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 10,108 Times in 5,484 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 months in Switzerland - a honest report.

Quote:
View Post
Totally agree.

The Swiss people I know are very much like the people from my home town. They don't like brash, ostentatious people with a sense of entitlement. They say "grüezi" to you when you pass in the street. In my home town, people say "Oreet" in the same way. They appreciate good manners and a sense of humour. They're mildy inquisitive, in that, they like to be able to 'place' you, where you're from, and why you're here, and light up when you ask them about themselves. They're incredibly generous and appreciate small, reciprocal gestures rather than expensive gifts. But best of all, when you scratch the surface, they know how to party.
"they know how to party" and how. Last Sunday we went to a sort of wine festival where they boil whole hams in water with vine leaves and who knows what. We had a couple of bottles and a coffee with schnapps then were about to leave when one of our local friends turned up and started offering bottles of wine and kaffeeschnapps like crazy. Then some others joined us.
Luckily the event closed at 5pm so we could politely leave at 7!

Then last Friday was the closing party this year for the weekly market.......
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foreign credit report in Switzerland??? nomand_ind Finance/banking/taxation 1 29.05.2012 11:07
Newbie report: 3 months silverburn Other/general 25 21.02.2012 13:00
Credit report in Switzerland HollidayG Finance/banking/taxation 7 04.01.2012 18:48
Where to report movie piracy in Switzerland? Mairi Other/general 38 23.10.2009 10:53
Honest opinions needed on life in Switzerland Tanya Daily life 1 24.03.2007 12:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:42.

Comparis

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0