Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 22.03.2017, 16:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,060
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,732 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Just good and bad like everywhere? Sometimes you may have to be unlucky to find out the good. If you die here, as long as you are willing to be cremated, the canton takes care of the whole thing, preparing the body, viewings, the oven. No charge.

On the other hand, it turns out it's impossible to find anywhere to have a wake. They have those community rooms for hire, but you have to give about 3 months notice (of course) and my friend only got 3 weeks from the time she was told she was going to die.
Funeral directors and priests both have lists of suitable places.
I've sadly had to attend several funerals and wakes in Geneva (which are often held within three or four days of the death), at least three of which were unexpected and therefore sudden. No major problems finding venues, even if the first choice wasn't avaliable.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 22.03.2017, 17:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,020
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Forests & countryside are free. You could arrange an outdoor thing. That's what was done for an aunt. Forest, bagpipes wailing... very atmospheric.


With the Bois de Jussy on my doorstep, plenty of pipers in the family, all I need is the Haggis (in the freezer) and the Scottish beer (Jim's Market not far)...that's my wake sorted, then! But if you don't mind, I'd rather wait a while longer...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 23.03.2017, 12:49
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,084
Groaned at 155 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 7,123 Times in 3,271 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
So about 500K pa. From which they have to pay for their rooms, a receptionist/practice nurse, assorted equipment, heat, leccie, etc.

Take that lot off and you're at about 300K actual income which would gel with what my friends mention. Puts them just above UK GPs and, as I said before, perhaps 20% above German ones.

Yes, it's a nice income. But certainly not out of line with other countries.
Just saw some stats in the paper today - seems it's even less than I thought. For a non-specialist GP it's just shy of CHF 200K.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 23.03.2017, 14:21
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Funeral directors and priests both have lists of suitable places.
I've sadly had to attend several funerals and wakes in Geneva (which are often held within three or four days of the death), at least three of which were unexpected and therefore sudden. No major problems finding venues, even if the first choice wasn't avaliable.
You did better than us. We asked around various areas for community rooms, all refused. We asked lots of Swiss locals for ideas and nobody had any. I understand that here it is normal to have a few people get together for a fondue and then you are all on your way.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 23.03.2017, 14:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,060
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,732 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
You did better than us. We asked around various areas for community rooms, all refused. We asked lots of Swiss locals for ideas and nobody had any. I understand that here it is normal to have a few people get together for a fondue and then you are all on your way.
Never heard of a funeral fondue, odd idea.
A small group of friends might informally get together after the service perhaps, but not for an official wake. In which case most local restaurants would happily take a group booking, although it would depend on the day.

Most wakes I've been to were held after the service in communal rooms attached to either local sports clubs or churches but many restaurants will also have a large room that can be reserved for such occasions.... all of these will of course depend on availability but it's not usually necessary (and indeed not possible) to plan this three months in advance; weekends might be booked that far in advance but funerals tend to be held mid-week.

Again, the funeral directors were really the people to have asked, rather than simply ringing 'round on the off chance somewhere was free.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 23.03.2017, 21:45
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Never heard of a funeral fondue, odd idea.
A small group of friends might informally get together after the service perhaps, but not for an official wake. In which case most local restaurants would happily take a group booking, although it would depend on the day.

Most wakes I've been to were held after the service in communal rooms attached to either local sports clubs or churches but many restaurants will also have a large room that can be reserved for such occasions.... all of these will of course depend on availability but it's not usually necessary (and indeed not possible) to plan this three months in advance; weekends might be booked that far in advance but funerals tend to be held mid-week.

Again, the funeral directors were really the people to have asked, rather than simply ringing 'round on the off chance somewhere was free.
We asked churches as well as community rooms. We needed somewhere with the possibility of a large open house and how would we have paid for it? In the end, as she was a university person, the university somewhat reluctantly agreed to provide a space for it.

Good point, asking the people looking after the body is an obvious idea, but they were quite hostile to us, so I can see in retrospect why we didn't even think of it.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 23.03.2017, 23:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,020
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

How did we move from quality of life in Geneva to DEATH in Geneva?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 23.03.2017, 23:53
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
How did we move from quality of life in Geneva to DEATH in Geneva?
Well, I could take a step back from that and wonder if the health system here brought me to the position of looking for places to hold wakes for my friend. It seems to have done her no favours. It isn't clear to me, having had fairly dramatic experiences of how the system works here, whether it is awful, great, or just a mishmash, same as one might expect it to be anywhere....
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 24.03.2017, 10:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
How did we move from quality of life in Geneva to DEATH in Geneva?
According to some, quite a logical step really !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 24.03.2017, 10:16
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
How did we move from quality of life in Geneva to DEATH in Geneva?
Well, I thought it was an interesting example of how some things are bargains in Geneva - it certainly improves quality of life for those who are left behind and having to deal with all that, and maybe also for poorer people at least who are dying and concerned about the costs of that. Think of countries like Australia in which insurance for the costs of dying is something people buy!
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 24.03.2017, 10:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,060
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,732 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Well, I thought it was an interesting example of how some things are bargains in Geneva - it certainly improves quality of life for those who are left behind and having to deal with all that, and maybe also for poorer people at least who are dying and concerned about the costs of that. Think of countries like Australia in which insurance for the costs of dying is something people buy!

Sorry, that last sentence isn't valid;if you do even a basic google search (Suisse, Asurance, Funérailles) you'll find that several insurance companies in Switzerland offer Funeral Plans... and have done so for years.

Such as this one;
http://www.ciasa.ch/assurance/funeraire
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 24.03.2017, 11:09
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, that last sentence isn't valid;if you do even a basic google search (Suisse, Asurance, Funérailles) you'll find that several insurance companies in Switzerland offer Funeral Plans... and have done so for years.

Such as this one;
http://www.ciasa.ch/assurance/funeraire

I meant that it isn't necessary, as long as you are happy to be cremated. That's a big step up from being forced to prepare for it. If you take insurance in Switzerland, presumably it's because you want to be buried, not cremated and you otherwise couldn't afford it....
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 24.03.2017, 18:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,020
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

I hope Funeral Ciasa plan is not the equivalent of my Pro Casa loo seats, they're crap! Anything in -asa in Geneva, I treat with suspicion!
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 30.03.2017, 14:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: geneva
Posts: 40
Groaned at 30 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
miloo is considered unworthymiloo is considered unworthymiloo is considered unworthy
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Very good assesment of the "wonderful" quality of life in Geneva. You might wish to take into account the blatant presence of street prostitutes in public spaces, in day light, such as near the cultural centre, museum of art and history, less than 300m from Rive (and the nearest police station). Surely these sights do not contribute to the quality of life of families and children who are exposed to this regularily.
It reflects the mentality af the residents and of the authorities who are interested only in their immediate comfort and do not challenge real issues. Instead of policing streets, they prefer to have numerous inspectors on the buses from 6am to midnight (in uniform and in groups) to catch children and tourists who failed to buy their bus fare.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miloo for this useful post:
This user groans at miloo for this post:
  #135  
Old 30.03.2017, 14:32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 312
Groaned at 456 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 24 Posts
aresid is considered unworthyaresid is considered unworthyaresid is considered unworthyaresid is considered unworthyaresid is considered unworthy
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Very good assesment of the "wonderful" quality of life in Geneva. You might wish to take into account the blatant presence of street prostitutes in public spaces, in day light, such as near the cultural centre, museum of art and history, less than 300m from Rive (and the nearest police station). Surely these sights do not contribute to the quality of life of families and children who are exposed to this regularily.
It reflects the mentality af the residents and of the authorities who are interested only in their immediate comfort and do not challenge real issues. Instead of policing streets, they prefer to have numerous inspectors on the buses from 6am to midnight (in uniform and in groups) to catch children and tourists who failed to buy their bus fare.
Indeed the law enfrocement in ch has only one job, and that is not to protect the civilians, but to fine them! like parking fines, fines if you don't buy their overinflated train fares, fines if you submit documents too late, and so on.. They couldn't care less about your safety.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aresid for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 30.03.2017, 15:23
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,084
Groaned at 155 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 7,123 Times in 3,271 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Very good assesment of the "wonderful" quality of life in Geneva. You might wish to take into account the blatant presence of street prostitutes in public spaces, in day light, such as near the cultural centre, museum of art and history, less than 300m from Rive (and the nearest police station). Surely these sights do not contribute to the quality of life of families and children who are exposed to this regularily.
What should they do? Prostitution isn't illegal.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
This user groans at baboon for this post:
  #137  
Old 30.03.2017, 15:38
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
What should they do? Prostitution isn't illegal.
Does it (and etc) have to be in places one wouldn't think twice about taking kids? Have a redlight district and it isn't compulsory to go there. But there is, for example, a sex cinema just near Manor surrounded by otherwise nice little businesses anybody might want to go to. But walking past the sex cinema means being assaulted by ads showing, for example, a woman thrilled that there is a bottle inserted in her anus....I don't want to go past that myself, and would anybody want to take kids past it????

Equally, there is a night club between Manor and the River Starbucks which until recently displayed photos of its female workers naked. Why would anybody want to walk past that? And even if some of the blokes reading this said yeah me, would you take your little kids past it? Girls? Explain to them that this could be them too in a few years' time? So, Paquis? I don't mind having a whole area I can veto, but why can't that be it?

But I doubt this is a specially Genevan thing, I just don't have to live in areas in other places where it's an issue maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 30.03.2017, 15:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Does it (and etc) have to be in places one wouldn't think twice about taking kids? Have a redlight district and it isn't compulsory to go there. But there is, for example, a sex cinema just near Manor surrounded by otherwise nice little businesses anybody might want to go to. But walking past the sex cinema means being assaulted by ads showing, for example, a woman thrilled that there is a bottle inserted in her anus....I don't want to go past that myself, and would anybody want to take kids past it????

Equally, there is a night club between Manor and the River Starbucks which until recently displayed photos of its female workers naked. Why would anybody want to walk past that? And even if some of the blokes reading this said yeah me, would you take your little kids past it? Girls? Explain to them that this could be them too in a few years' time? So, Paquis? I don't mind having a whole area I can veto, but why can't that be it?

But I doubt this is a specially Genevan thing, I just don't have to live in areas in other places where it's an issue maybe.
How can kids spot a prostitute, though?

Last edited by Sandgrounder; 30.03.2017 at 16:01.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #139  
Old 30.03.2017, 18:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,052
Groaned at 349 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 10,416 Times in 5,502 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

Quote:
View Post
Explain to them that this could be them too in a few years' time?
Does walking by that or any other sex cinema or night club increase the likelihood of that happening?

If anything, informing them reduces the likelihood.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 30.03.2017, 20:04
Patsycat's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,248
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,146 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Quality of Life in Geneva really that good?

People in Geneva just get on with their lives, without worrying what lasting effect seeing a prostitute will have on them or their kids.

That cinema has been there for decades, so have the sex shops and nightclubs. My friends and i used to have a laugh about the cinema. None of us became prostitutes!!

Most of the "ladies of the night" in Paquis have been there for decades too!!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Patsycat for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary / cost of life / quality of life question JuanP Employment 33 11.03.2014 12:24
Is the quality of life declining in Switzerland? Prabhu Guptara Daily life 99 20.02.2012 21:20
Mammut clothing range - is it really that good? magic Other/general 18 19.11.2011 17:58
Hair extensions in Zurich.really good quality and price caro1 Commercial 1 21.02.2011 13:48
Is it because of the altitude here that the cheese is high quality? transition Daily life 47 06.08.2010 22:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0