Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 16.05.2018, 17:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,495
Groaned at 177 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 6,928 Times in 3,580 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
No, that's just the current implication, or "spin" on the word "spinster" (which is now rather outdated -- you'll rarely hear the word uttered these days by anybody under 90 years of age).

"Spinster" just means "ledige Frau", that's all. With "ledig" meaning...*

*never married, in case there was any doubt!
A Fräulein then.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #142  
Old 16.05.2018, 17:48
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 8,294
Groaned at 66 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 12,071 Times in 5,445 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Hehe, you're right. I didn't even think of anything else other than European or let's say Western jurisprudence. I thought a divorce certificate issued by an European (in this case - Dutch) state would suffice. C'mon, a divorce is obtained in similar ways in any European country.
Except in the Netherlands between April 2001 bis February 2009 where and when an interesting legal loop hole existed which allowed what is called "blitz divorce" (nl: flitsscheiding). In this construct you first changed you marriage into registered partnership which you then dissolved using a notarized contract. Once you had agreed on the terms of the contract, the rest could be done in hours. A trip to civil register office, then to the notary, done.

This means no judge, no court ruling, no divorce certificate, and a lot of legal troubles aboard.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #143  
Old 16.05.2018, 17:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 23,102
Groaned at 1,220 Times in 957 Posts
Thanked 26,220 Times in 12,562 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Widowers are left out
Not true, I got one until my youngest was 18 (so eight years).

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #144  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,015
Groaned at 150 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,514 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Now wait a second 22, are you claiming that Amanda has to get married before she's 6 months old?

That's not going to go down well.
A rebirthing in Switzerland might solve issues..

(just how to get such recognised..)
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:08
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,441
Groaned at 215 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 13,289 Times in 5,465 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Sure. But if both partners agree to the legality of that simpler process, where is the issue? After all does CH also accept marriages done in Vegas, on the high seas or according to tribal laws in god knows where. If the most bizarre weddings are binding, why not a divorce abroad? And the Netherlands aren't exactly as far as Papua or Australia... are they?
You'd think so, wouldn't you... but...



A bizarre foreign marriage will be accepted in Switzerland (provided you can produce your less-than-six-months-old original birth certificate, if you're not a Swiss citizen). But if at least one of the parties was previously married, they will have to prove that that marriage was legally dissolved, and that requires production of the original divorce decree for the Swiss to peruse -- despite the fact that said proof had to be given in the foreign country where the (current) marriage took place.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,015
Groaned at 150 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,514 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Hehe, you're right. I didn't even think of anything else other than European or let's say Western jurisprudence. I thought a divorce certificate issued by an European (in this case - Dutch) state would suffice. C'mon, a divorce is obtained in similar ways in any European country. The differences are rather insignificant. But then again, I didn't really study comparative or international law so I might be wrong. Aren't there any bilateral or CH-EU agreements in these regards too? We have regulations re. double taxation and what not in the financial area, is civil law so secluded?
The Dutch for a period of about 8 years had "Blitzscheidung" making it possible for couples without kids under 18 and who divorced under good terms and who agreed on all to change their divorce to a registered partnership at city hall, and this could be disbanded easily at a notary, without any interference of a judge, done within a few days for a total cost of about 500,- Euro, I did mine in the beginning of this possibility, later when dutch people came into trouble in other countries, and other governments (among which the Swiss) declared officially that they would not recognise such they stopped with this possibility which by then was used by 30.000 couples.

No fixed solution, and I am the first raising this matter in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #147  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,015
Groaned at 150 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,514 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
You'd think so, wouldn't you... but...



A bizarre foreign marriage will be accepted in Switzerland (provided you can produce your less-than-six-months-old original birth certificate, if you're not a Swiss citizen). But if at least one of the parties was previously married, they will have to prove that that marriage was legally dissolved, and that requires production of the original divorce decree for the Swiss to peruse -- despite the fact that said proof had to be given in the foreign country where the (current) marriage took place.
This.

I have a paper that my marriage got transformed into a legal partnership, and I have a paper that my legal partnership got dismantled. The dividing of the goods, the house, the debts, the pensions etc.. all goes under the dismantling of the partnership, and those papers are useless here since Switzerland does not recognise registered partnership between man and woman. So I have no legal paper or court ruling that my marriage as it should have vanished into thin air, I only have papers that I transformed it into something which is not recognised here, and troubles starts....
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #148  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:19
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,447
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,323 Times in 662 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Only true for the last two. All the others are important for banks for example: It tells them they have to ask someone else before they give a credit to the applicant.
I know.
Hence the "if I could".

Society and its rules. Pah!
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:42
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 8,294
Groaned at 66 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 12,071 Times in 5,445 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
I have a paper that my marriage got transformed into a legal partnership, and I have a paper that my legal partnership got dismantled. The dividing of the goods, the house, the debts, the pensions etc.. all goes under the dismantling of the partnership, and those papers are useless here since Switzerland does not recognise registered partnership between man and woman. So I have no legal paper or court ruling that my marriage as it should have vanished into thin air, I only have papers that I transformed it into something which is not recognised here, and troubles starts....
You missed an oppertunity. When the Swiss clerk said registered partnerships are only for gay couples. You should have come up with the following crazy story which explained this unique situation:

Yes true, it is for gays only, put let me tell the f'ed up story of my life. I met the girl of my life and she met the boy of her life: Me. So we got married and lived happily ever after.

Nearly, almost. What was not known to me is that the girl actually wanted to be a boy as well. So she got, unbeknownst to me, a secret sex change. Can you believe this? Her big beautiful boobs gone. No, me neither.

Suddenly my beloved partner was male too and I suddenly gay! Me gay? GAY?! Never ever! My mother would die on the spot. Now, because she was a he and no longer legally woman but a man our marriage was also no longer legally possible as marriage is between man and woman only. Amen. So I wanted the divorce.

But we could not get a divorce either as only marriage can be divorced but two male person can not be married. See the problem we faced? So, we had first to change the marriage into a registered partnership and then we could dissolve according the law of the Netherlands. Yes, I was in a registered partnership, but I WAS NOT GAY!!!!

Now mark me down as "ledig". What? What do you say? It means never married? But all dictionaries say "not married" that what I am, "ledig".
__________________
PLAYER 1 ENTER YOUR NAME:_
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #150  
Old 16.05.2018, 18:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,015
Groaned at 150 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,514 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
You missed an oppertunity. When the Swiss clerk said registered partnerships are only for gay couples. You should have come up with the following crazy story which explained this unique situation:

Yes true, it is for gays only, put let me tell the f'ed up story of my life. I met the girl of my life and she met the boy of her life: Me. So we got married and lived happily ever after.

Nearly, almost. What was not known to me is that the girl actually wanted to be a boy as well. So she got, unbeknownst to me, a secret sex change. Can you believe this? Her big beautiful boobs gone. No, me neither.

Suddenly my beloved partner was male too and I suddenly gay! Me gay? GAY?! Never ever! My mother would die on the spot. Now, because she was a he and no longer legally woman but a man our marriage was also no longer legally possible as marriage is between man and woman only. Amen. So I wanted the divorce.

But we could not get a divorce either as only marriage can be divorced but two male person can not be married. See the problem we faced? So, we had first to change the marriage into a registered partnership and then we could dissolve according the law of the Netherlands. Yes, I was in a registered partnership, but I WAS NOT GAY!!!!

Now mark me down as "ledig". What? What do you say? It means never married? But all dictionaries say "not married" that what I am, "ledig".
She did not have big boobs
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 16.05.2018, 19:03
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,589
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,730 Times in 3,651 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
You missed an oppertunity. When the Swiss clerk said registered partnerships are only for gay couples. You should have come up with the following crazy story which explained this unique situation:

Yes true, it is for gays only, put let me tell the f'ed up story of my life. I met the girl of my life and she met the boy of her life: Me. So we got married and lived happily ever after.

Nearly, almost. What was not known to me is that the girl actually wanted to be a boy as well. So she got, unbeknownst to me, a secret sex change. Can you believe this? Her big beautiful boobs gone. No, me neither.

Suddenly my beloved partner was male too and I suddenly gay! Me gay? GAY?! Never ever! My mother would die on the spot. Now, because she was a he and no longer legally woman but a man our marriage was also no longer legally possible as marriage is between man and woman only. Amen. So I wanted the divorce.

But we could not get a divorce either as only marriage can be divorced but two male person can not be married. See the problem we faced? So, we had first to change the marriage into a registered partnership and then we could dissolve according the law of the Netherlands. Yes, I was in a registered partnership, but I WAS NOT GAY!!!!

Now mark me down as "ledig". What? What do you say? It means never married? But all dictionaries say "not married" that what I am, "ledig".
The Swiss officer will reply: "You should have divorced her while she was still a women. As "she" no longer exists .... you're doomed" and will offer a "Konkubinat" instead.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #152  
Old 16.05.2018, 19:09
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 23,102
Groaned at 1,220 Times in 957 Posts
Thanked 26,220 Times in 12,562 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
She did not have big boobs
A dutch woman who didn't have big boobs?

Must have been a guy!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #153  
Old 16.05.2018, 19:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,015
Groaned at 150 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,514 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
A dutch woman who didn't have big boobs?

Must have been a guy!

Tom
Everybody knows that for big breasts one has to go to England :P Only about a 3rd of the Dutch woman have D

But I can understand that for somebody in "Italian" territory a breast quickly looks big
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #154  
Old 16.05.2018, 19:20
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,707
Groaned at 214 Times in 186 Posts
Thanked 7,186 Times in 3,613 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
A dutch woman who didn't have big boobs?
Quote:
View Post
Everybody knows that for big breasts one has to go to England :P Only about a 3rd of the Dutch woman have D
Definitely no comment
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #155  
Old 16.05.2018, 19:31
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 109
Groaned at 49 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Amanda Portman is considered unworthyAmanda Portman is considered unworthyAmanda Portman is considered unworthyAmanda Portman is considered unworthy
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Everybody knows that for big breasts one has to go to England :P Only about a 3rd of the Dutch woman have D
I thought surgery was more reliable.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 16.05.2018, 19:34
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,425
Groaned at 43 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 12,160 Times in 4,817 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
I thought surgery was more reliable.
You can't get Flake bars or HP sauce in a surgery...
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 16.05.2018, 21:22
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 23,102
Groaned at 1,220 Times in 957 Posts
Thanked 26,220 Times in 12,562 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Definitely no comment
And your size is?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #158  
Old 16.05.2018, 21:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 23,102
Groaned at 1,220 Times in 957 Posts
Thanked 26,220 Times in 12,562 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
Everybody knows that for big breasts one has to go to England :P Only about a 3rd of the Dutch woman have D

But I can understand that for somebody in "Italian" territory a breast quickly looks big
My wife thought she was a B or C, until I showed her how to measure correctly.

(32D was the correct answer, no wonder her bras never fit correctly before!)

Over, under, difference, and Bob is your uncle!

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #159  
Old 16.05.2018, 21:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,724 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Edwin, I take it you have no contact with your ex-wife. However, if you could find her, and if she is to be trusted, then could you perhaps marry her again in the Netherlands (since there, you are considered divorced, so there's no barrier against marrying) and then get divorced in the Netherlands (since nowadays that would result in a Dutch Court Order) and then bring this Dutch Court Order to Switzerland where it would finally be recognised as a proper divorce?
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 16.05.2018, 21:52
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,747
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,652 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ledig

Quote:
View Post
If you think people skills are anything to do with being kind to everyone, I can’t teach you regardless of how much money you would offer.


Is this level of aggression ever necessary?

"People skills" generally involve understanding and engaging with your audience, no matter how big or small. Not sure you've understood that.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
for true connaisseurs of Swiss Mundart only:Ledig Bliibt De Hürlimaa sandiegan Language corner 6 28.04.2009 15:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0