Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.05.2018, 09:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 83
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Helena Paris has earned some respectHelena Paris has earned some respect
Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Hi there,

I had a great DELL tablet that we've been using for years without any problem.
Recently I started getting notifications from Microsoft , very pushy, to update to Windows 10- so I made space on my drive and I launched the update.
It installed successfully
A few hours later my tablet died. I turned it off and put it on charger and then it never turned on again

I am super angry as I read online the thousands of complaints about Windows 10 and people suing Microsoft for damage and loss of data.

Anyone with same problem ?

Thanks
Best
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.05.2018, 09:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 642 Times in 484 Posts
Thanked 14,739 Times in 5,759 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Define "died"? It doesn't turn on at all? Turns on but doesn't boot? How old and what model is the tablet? Your post is so vague and lacking in details as to be not very useful.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.05.2018, 10:07
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,494
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

There have been reported issues about Display Driver incompatibilities with Windows 10 which makes it look like your notebook "died" when its only the display which isn't working. Are you sure its "dead" as in "bricked" ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.05.2018, 10:08
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,971
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 13,334 Times in 5,243 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Model number of tablet?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.05.2018, 10:18
ZoeTheCat's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Somewhere in CH
Posts: 51
Groaned at 16 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 22 Posts
ZoeTheCat has made some interesting contributions
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Did you check with Dell if your laptop is Compatible with Windows 10 before upgrading?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZoeTheCat for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.05.2018, 16:37
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 10,352
Groaned at 159 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 14,579 Times in 5,908 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

You should be able to get at least to BIOS. If you can't, then it's unlikely that windows is the issue. But as others have pointed out "Insufficient information for a meaningful answer".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.05.2018, 17:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,083
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 5,596 Times in 2,291 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

I have a related question: "Did Windows 10 kill my nerves?". But I daren't ask for answers, because I do understand that I might then reasonably be asked to supply a model number, and dates and things, and maybe even a photo, and proof of just how dead dead is. My answer is: "Pretty dead," but oh, well, at least that's still got a "pretty" in it there somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.05.2018, 20:05
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 6,532
Groaned at 1,005 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,686 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

better you cremate it. safer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.05.2018, 20:21
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,971
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 13,334 Times in 5,243 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
I have a related question: "Did Windows 10 kill my nerves?". But I daren't ask for answers, because I do understand that I might then reasonably be asked to supply a model number, and dates and things, and maybe even a photo, and proof of just how dead dead is. My answer is: "Pretty dead," but oh, well, at least that's still got a "pretty" in it there somewhere.
Your nerves have model numbers? I would never have guessed that you're a cyborg Dorophiz!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.05.2018, 21:23
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 6,532
Groaned at 1,005 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,686 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Go into bios and do a repair
Quote:
View Post
Hi there,

I had a great DELL tablet that we've been using for years without any problem.
Recently I started getting notifications from Microsoft , very pushy, to update to Windows 10- so I made space on my drive and I launched the update.
It installed successfully
A few hours later my tablet died. I turned it off and put it on charger and then it never turned on again

I am super angry as I read online the thousands of complaints about Windows 10 and people suing Microsoft for damage and loss of data.

Anyone with same problem ?

Thanks
Best
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.05.2018, 22:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,083
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 5,596 Times in 2,291 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
Go into bios and do a repair
Wish I knew how to do that for my nerves, too, whether with or without model numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.05.2018, 23:13
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 7,893
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,459 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
Wish I knew how to do that for my nerves, too, whether with or without model numbers.
If windows-10 killed your nerves, do a format C, install win-7 or 8 and live happily ...... until windows doesn't support them anymore.
In the mean time learn Linux.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 18.05.2018, 07:27
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 6,532
Groaned at 1,005 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,686 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Sorry I meant to say boot menu not bios.

First try this:
Start the Windows and as soon as you see Windows logo; press and hold the power button to force shutdown it.
You can also pull out the power supply (or battery) to force shutdown it.
Repeat this 2-4 times and Windows will open up boot options for you.


or try:
Try tapping the F8 key repeatedly about once every half a second, or faster, just after switching on the computer. It is too late if you do it after the computer starts to boot up, e.g. after the manufacturer's logo comes up. It might bring up to the boot menu if you are lucky. Then select PC repair.

If you want to get to Bios try this

Press "F2" when the first screen appears. Timing is difficult, so you may wish to continually press "F2" until you see the message "Entering Setup." Pressing the key several times has no detrimental effects. In older Dell models, you might need to press either "Delete," "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Enter," "Fn" + "F1," or "Fn" + "Esc." When in doubt, you can press several different combinations without any ill effects.

Quote:
View Post
Wish I knew how to do that for my nerves, too, whether with or without model numbers.

Last edited by omtatsat; 18.05.2018 at 07:44.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 19.05.2018, 08:17
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 6,532
Groaned at 1,005 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,686 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Its possible that if you did this update then you would have problems.


Windows 10: Spring Creators Update 1803


Quote:
View Post
Hi there,

I had a great DELL tablet that we've been using for years without any problem.
Recently I started getting notifications from Microsoft , very pushy, to update to Windows 10- so I made space on my drive and I launched the update.
It installed successfully
A few hours later my tablet died. I turned it off and put it on charger and then it never turned on again

I am super angry as I read online the thousands of complaints about Windows 10 and people suing Microsoft for damage and loss of data.

Anyone with same problem ?

Thanks
Best
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19.05.2018, 09:23
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,483
Groaned at 29 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,085 Times in 635 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Once upgraded a cheap tablet to win 10. After the next update it died. So I returned it to Migros and got my money back.

And still got to keep the free 1 year office abo.

Actually, installing win 10 is a good way to test cheap hardware.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 19.05.2018, 11:03
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 10,352
Groaned at 159 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 14,579 Times in 5,908 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
Once upgraded a cheap tablet to win 10. After the next update it died.
How did it die? Wouldn't boot up, got stuck in the boot cycle or just wouldn't turn on? What make/model was it?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.05.2018, 15:28
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 17,343
Groaned at 1,102 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 46,669 Times in 14,443 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Bastard bloody windows! I came down from lunch to find an update at 14%, having launched itself without my permission, right in the middle of an enormous work project! Even after a force quit, it took half an hour to reboot to my original settings so I could actually get on and do the stuff I came down to do.

Why do the bastards do this? If it isn't Facebook hiding pages I've followed and feeding me shit about Jordan bloody Peterson, Diane Abbott and Megan Merkel's wedding dress instead, or Google sending me push notifications from the Daily sodding Mirror website, it's Windows buggering up my computer for hours on end despite being told to leave it till I've finished.

Come on, IT people, what are your colleagues playing at? Are we suckers the subjects of some kind of psychological experiment: how far can we push our customers before they smash up their computers and return to steam and horses?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.05.2018, 15:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,555
Groaned at 516 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 4,100 Times in 1,953 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
Come on, IT people, what are your colleagues playing at? Are we suckers the subjects of some kind of psychological experiment: how far can we push our customers before they smash up their computers and return to steam and horses?
IT people have left themselves eaten by managers and they have almost zero influence in the industry. Let's not even talk about the business where users are giving away any form of control simply because
1) It's easier
2) Most people are too thick to comprehend and/or
3) They dont want to learn the basics (or can't or don't have will or time)

In case you missed it, the trend since numerous years ago is the cloud and giving total control to a friendly big company who will do it for you.

Don't be surprised if nowadays most browsers force updates in the background, same as numerous OS.

In fact, look at Win10, how they evolved into an "App store" which all revolve around win10 itself. It's no longer a separate app running on your win OS; it's an almost embedded app. Most often it's a garbage like Skype vs Skype standalone. Yet it's easier to deploy somehow.

That's how it become, most devices (computers, tablets, smartphones) are meant to last only a few years. Storage and services are mostly cloud based (and easier and cheaper to manage for the masses). Your data is also collected and used all the time and actively.
The time of user control and liberty/freedom is almost gone.

It's surely annoying on numerous levels, it's surely not only the fault of IT people. It's decision makers, in accordance with user's needs and capacities. And it works for them. They are successful worldwide.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.05.2018, 15:51
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,483
Groaned at 29 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,085 Times in 635 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
Bastard bloody windows! I came down from lunch to find an update at 14%, having launched itself without my permission, right in the middle of an enormous work project! Even after a force quit, it took half an hour to reboot to my original settings so I could actually get on and do the stuff I came down to do.

Why do the bastards do this? If it isn't Facebook hiding pages I've followed and feeding me shit about Jordan bloody Peterson, Diane Abbott and Megan Merkel's wedding dress instead, or Google sending me push notifications from the Daily sodding Mirror website, it's Windows buggering up my computer for hours on end despite being told to leave it till I've finished.

Come on, IT people, what are your colleagues playing at? Are we suckers the subjects of some kind of psychological experiment: how far can we push our customers before they smash up their computers and return to steam and horses?
You can set your PC not to update.
Give 2 green blobs and I'll tell you how.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 21.05.2018, 15:55
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 17,343
Groaned at 1,102 Times in 855 Posts
Thanked 46,669 Times in 14,443 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Windows 10 kill my laptop ?

Quote:
View Post
You can set your PC not to update.
Give 2 green blobs and I'll tell you how.
I owe you some anyway, so when I've recovered from last night's green fest, you're on!

Meanwhile, I've discovered the 'active hours' feature. I'm still annoyed about the lost time earlier, but at least now I'm safe until 22:00 tonight.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QWERTY Windows Laptop expat_in_zug Items wanted 11 07.03.2018 17:26
Samsung 15.6" laptop with Windows 10 jamiebae Items for sale 11 06.02.2017 21:46
For sale: IBM-Lenovo ThinkPad T520i Laptop in perfect condition running Windows 10 ghasemi Items for sale 9 22.10.2016 20:37
buying new laptop, wait for windows 10? dali TV/internet/telephone 51 22.06.2015 21:38
Can I kill my cow on my lawn? aSwissInTheUS Daily life 32 10.06.2015 09:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0