Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08.06.2018, 09:51
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,940
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 4,620 Times in 2,105 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

Quote:
View Post
.....
Funny fact. When I go home I have to bring Swiss chocolate (they can find Swiss chocolate everywhere now, but for some reasons the one bought from here is the best.....hmm, I wonder if there's really any difference or everything is in their head).......

Definitely a difference chocolate recipe for difference regions--whether it makes a difference is another story.


Even bottled water (Nestle) in North American has about 30 different recipes for different regions across the US and Canada (and for the other brands that they bottle and label differently).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 08.06.2018, 13:28
VenusC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 305 Times in 121 Posts
VenusC has an excellent reputationVenusC has an excellent reputationVenusC has an excellent reputationVenusC has an excellent reputation
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

I read each post with interest, so I would like to share another type of scam. Well-informed = well-prepared.

Last year i took my visiting parents to Milan and then to Venice. We stayed overnight in Milan in one of the big-chain respectable hotels. After a day of signtseeing, we settled at the hotel bar for a tipple and to reflect on the day. A couple showed up at the bar, visually of Arab descent. The guy was super loud, but appeared friendly. The girl was shy and very pretty. The guy got interested in us speaking an unfamiliar language and started talking to us.
Said they were from Iraq (would you tell an iraqi to bugger off?)
On honeymoon, first time in Europe (would you again tell them to bugger off? No, you smile and wish them happiness and a wonderful honeymoon)
A genuine interest is expressed as to where my folk were from (doesn't hurt to answer).
All the while the guy remains loud, gesticulating and the girl plays the part of a shy wife who is kind of ashamed of his behaviour but loves him. That makes us play along, 'poor girl', let's be nice, or if we upset that imbecil, he may take it out on her later (presumptuous thought but not completely incorrect).
The guy then asked where from, then asked to show the money from our country. Nothing wrong, the currency of my former Heimatland is pretty but useless. We had none. The guy kept pestering and pestering us excitedly until such time when i took out wallet to show, there! Nothing! The guy grabbed the wallet (alright... People from warmer climate are very touchy and have lesser understanding of personal boundaries. And... We don't want to cause a scene by starting another gulf war)
Excitedly pulled out a few Euros, then put them back and handed back my wallet.
By that time i have had enough. Right on queue, very noisily the couple leaves the bar.
My first thought was 'thank funk...'.
My second thought was 'i need to check my wallet'. That evening i became 100 euros lighter.
Obviously i reported this to the hotel shift manager, but it seemed they were reluctant to do anything.

Now i like being nice and polite to people, but that evening i learned that i needed to get real. I have decided to dispense with the diplomacy with such humans and simply tell them to take a hike next time i get approached.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VenusC for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 08.06.2018, 13:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,717
Groaned at 610 Times in 463 Posts
Thanked 14,375 Times in 5,613 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

Quote:
View Post
I read each post with interest, so I would like to share another type of scam. Well-informed = well-prepared.

Last year i took my visiting parents to Milan and then to Venice. We stayed overnight in Milan in one of the big-chain respectable hotels. After a day of signtseeing, we settled at the hotel bar for a tipple and to reflect on the day. A couple showed up at the bar, visually of Arab descent. The guy was super loud, but appeared friendly. The girl was shy and very pretty. The guy got interested in us speaking an unfamiliar language and started talking to us.
Said they were from Iraq (would you tell an iraqi to bugger off?)
On honeymoon, first time in Europe (would you again tell them to bugger off? No, you smile and wish them happiness and a wonderful honeymoon)
A genuine interest is expressed as to where my folk were from (doesn't hurt to answer).
All the while the guy remains loud, gesticulating and the girl plays the part of a shy wife who is kind of ashamed of his behaviour but loves him. That makes us play along, 'poor girl', let's be nice, or if we upset that imbecil, he may take it out on her later (presumptuous thought but not completely incorrect).
The guy then asked where from, then asked to show the money from our country. Nothing wrong, the currency of my former Heimatland is pretty but useless. We had none. The guy kept pestering and pestering us excitedly until such time when i took out wallet to show, there! Nothing! The guy grabbed the wallet (alright... People from warmer climate are very touchy and have lesser understanding of personal boundaries. And... We don't want to cause a scene by starting another gulf war)
Excitedly pulled out a few Euros, then put them back and handed back my wallet.
By that time i have had enough. Right on queue, very noisily the couple leaves the bar.
My first thought was 'thank funk...'.
My second thought was 'i need to check my wallet'. That evening i became 100 euros lighter.
Obviously i reported this to the hotel shift manager, but it seemed they were reluctant to do anything.

Now i like being nice and polite to people, but that evening i learned that i needed to get real. I have decided to dispense with the diplomacy with such humans and simply tell them to take a hike next time i get approached.
You physically handed your wallet to someone?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 08.06.2018, 23:01
VenusC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 305 Times in 121 Posts
VenusC has an excellent reputationVenusC has an excellent reputationVenusC has an excellent reputationVenusC has an excellent reputation
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

Quote:
View Post
You physically handed your wallet to someone?
He grabbed it, i was ready to grab it back, but he returned it. 2 seconds! I certainly can reach my ass with my footheels and did that repeatedly afterwards! and yes, knowing that nothing skips EFers critical judgement, I still wrote it.
I wrote it to warn people of this type of scam. Questioning my behaviour or attitude will not bring my money back, but will be a lesson learned. I never question people's decisions, whether it was a silly act on their part or a sad consequence of trust mislaid - i don't play an absent witness and do the 'shoulda-woulda-coulda'. My opus is just a contribution to the topic.
I have been successful avoiding scams, but it just caught up with me this one time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VenusC for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 09.06.2018, 06:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,717
Groaned at 610 Times in 463 Posts
Thanked 14,375 Times in 5,613 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

Quote:
View Post
I never question people's decisions, whether it was a silly act on their part or a sad consequence of trust mislaid - i don't play an absent witness and do the 'shoulda-woulda-coulda'.
You may not, but I certainly do and it's a public forum and to be expected. To even sit there and tolerate some loud and annoying guy forcing himself on your attention for so long "because he's an Iraqi" is in itself a bizarre attitude. If someone is making you and your loved one awkward and uncomfortable then politely extract yourself from the situation. Staying there out of politeness is just irrational and exactly what scammers rely on.

Last edited by Richdog; 09.06.2018 at 07:01.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09.06.2018, 08:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,644
Groaned at 225 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 8,398 Times in 4,527 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

We all have our weak moments. Anyway. If not the whole situation itself, the moment he talked about money should have rang some bells. You don't have to be "nice" with everyone. You don't have to "engage" with everyone. You can answer shortly (and coldly) to some questions (i.e. where are you from) but it's not necessary to pretend you're interested in a conversation. Nod, smile and look somewhere else.

As a general rule, as a tourist you're an easy and vulnerable target, especially in highly touristic, very crowded places. Always keep your wallet in a place you can discreetly check all the time. Never let go of it, never leave your wallet and documents in the car. Common sense stuff, really.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 13.06.2018, 00:46
HerrDoktor's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 22 Times in 6 Posts
HerrDoktor is considered knowledgeableHerrDoktor is considered knowledgeableHerrDoktor is considered knowledgeable
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

This thread reminds me of the classic "shell game." The first time I ever saw it was outside of RFK stadium in Washington DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_game

My dad explained the nature of the con, and as a kid I was somewhat confused that a criminal would go to all of this trouble to develop this skill, when it would be easier and more profitable to learn a legitimate trade.

Fast forward to 2000. I visited Geneva for the first time, and I stepped off the train, and on a corner nearby, there was a "guy with a box" and some shills standing around -- guy with a box invites me in French to play. I gave a flustered "non" and scurried away.

A few years later, I came back to Geneva again, this time with my wife as a starting point to our vacation across Switzerland to see as much we could of the entire country.

I joked with my wife that we should go look for the "shell game guys" and make some cash after telling her the story of my earlier visit.

We were walking through the Jardin Anglais, and sure enough, there were some shell game guys there... the shills appeared to be men and women, standing in a circle around the shell game guys. They were more aggressive this time around! One of them attempted to put a 20 Euro bill in my wife's hand, and she dropped it! I stepped in front of my wife and laughed, and the guy left.

My wife and I went on the tacky tourist boat ride on Lac Leman, and when walking back an hour later, we saw the Geneva police putting the shell game guys into the back of a squad car. That really made my day, although I'm sure they just got a slap on the wrist.

I haven't seen the shell guys on returning a couple of times to Geneva, but I have a feeling they're still there somewhere.

Visiting Zurich feels like visiting a museum -- it seems clean and crime-free compared to Geneva, and I've never seen anything like that there, although that might just be a visitor's perception.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HerrDoktor for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 13.06.2018, 15:40
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 671
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 822 Times in 361 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

If you do happen to come across scammers trying to sell you something off the back of a truck or van, please do give the police a call. You might see through it but someone else (old granny?) might not.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 13.06.2018, 16:24
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,032
Groaned at 350 Times in 281 Posts
Thanked 16,642 Times in 6,844 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

Quote:
View Post
If you do happen to come across scammers trying to sell you something off the back of a truck or van, please do give the police a call. You might see through it but someone else (old granny?) might not.
The last person I know of personally who bought something off the back of a truck in a motorway rest area was a PhD student.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 13.06.2018, 17:10
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Used to be Basel.
Posts: 921
Groaned at 28 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,034 Times in 753 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Warning: Suits

Quote:
View Post
The last person I know of personally who bought something off the back of a truck in a motorway rest area was a PhD student.
PhD's are not always the smartest group of people...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apartment Deposit Scam Warning Ksheetu Housing in general 351 21.06.2018 08:34
Dog scam warning k_and_e Jokes/funnies 4 15.01.2016 16:03
Mobilezone Phone 'Scam' - warning Vlh22 TV/internet/telephone 15 03.05.2013 13:29
warning - paving/tarmac scam ullainga Daily life 1 20.07.2011 12:36
Scam Warning mikee Daily life 35 19.05.2011 10:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0