Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.06.2018, 16:14
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,058
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,030 Times in 427 Posts
ipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputation
Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

You know how sometimes you see someone complaining here and you think... "yeah.. but.."

How about this

A few weeks ago I bought a laptop off their web site. It turned up a few days later and it wasn't even close to what I'd ordered. An i5 chip not an i7, half the SSD, half the RAM etc (but.. the same model number.. so they'd basically screwed up the configuration on the website)

So I emailed their 'support' with a pic of the config label on the laptop and a screenshot of their advert.

A day later I get .. "Very sorry, we'll contact you soon with instruction on how to return it"

A week later.. still nothing... so I send a reminder email. Another day later.. "Sorry..we have now corrected our web site and we'll contact you soon, or you can take it to a shop to get a refund"

So today I hand it over in Steg Basel. Everything is still there.. all the original packaging. I'd half expect an embarrassed and grovelling apology. But this is Switzerland.. the bloke treats me like I'm the one who has done something wrong... and then says.. 'well.. I'll have to send it back"... er.. OK.. but.. I want a refund.. "no.. I'll have to send it back"

So.. now.. I'm minus 850chfs, I've been the 'victim' of an incompetent advert, and an incompetent returns service, and incompetent salesman. I've spent time and effort trying to fix things.... and now I don't even posses a computer.

Presumably I'll get the refund in the next few days... but.. wow.. just.. wow
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank ipoddle for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 07.06.2018, 16:17
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,497
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Sorry to hear that. I've not bought a lot from STEG but always heard good things about them.
And as far as haggling over service and returns with the shops here goes, I've always found you can only get so far with English.
Sucks, but then again, that's the same anywhere in the world.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheWolverine for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.06.2018, 16:43
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,365
Groaned at 499 Times in 399 Posts
Thanked 22,304 Times in 9,061 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
I've been the 'victim' of an incompetent advert, and an incompetent returns service, and incompetent salesman. I've spent time and effort trying to fix things.... and now I don't even posses a computer.

Presumably I'll get the refund in the next few days... but.. wow.. just.. wow
I had something similar with a different shop -buying in the shop the spec on the display was incorrect.

I never did get a refund - they wanted to issue me a credit note but after the appalling service, I just wanted my money back.

What you've experienced isn't uncommon here.

There's an old Swiss saying: "The customer is always wrong".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.06.2018, 17:00
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 1,244
Groaned at 26 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 317 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Thanks! We will avoid them from now on...

Anyway, why you didnt go to Mediamarkt or Digitech?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.06.2018, 17:03
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,058
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,030 Times in 427 Posts
ipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputation
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

The 'chat' in the shop was in my bad, but not that bad, German.

Why didn't I go to Digitec... because I thought I'd found a bargain... but.. I'll stick with them in future.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ipoddle for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.06.2018, 19:54
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 1,244
Groaned at 26 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 317 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
The 'chat' in the shop was in my bad, but not that bad, German.

Why didn't I go to Digitec... because I thought I'd found a bargain... but.. I'll stick with them in future.
Nope, plus, check on Digitec second hand section, last year i bought a camera that was valued in 2600 or so, at 1370 chf....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.06.2018, 21:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,452
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,929 Times in 1,893 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

We’ve got s pellet burner in the basement bought 18 months ago. Now it reports an error when you try to start it. Rang the company we bought it off where they said it comes with a 2 year guarantee (carton lugon in fully). Right They said we’ll get back to you. Today they sent me their offer of 500chf plus the part for free because ‘it is the part that is under warranty, all the labour for fitting it and checking it works is payable’. I rang the legal insurance, yes they can get away with this.

Customer service in this country is just terrible.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 07.06.2018, 21:19
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,989
Groaned at 206 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 18,822 Times in 7,673 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
...

A week later.. still nothing... so I send a reminder email. Another day later.. "Sorry..we have now corrected our web site and we'll contact you soon, or you can take it to a shop to get a refund"

So today I hand it over in Steg Basel. Everything is still there.. all the original packaging. I'd half expect an embarrassed and grovelling apology. But this is Switzerland.. the bloke treats me like I'm the one who has done something wrong... and then says.. 'well.. I'll have to send it back"... er.. OK.. but.. I want a refund.. "no.. I'll have to send it back"...
Next time, take the email with you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.06.2018, 09:48
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,058
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,030 Times in 427 Posts
ipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputation
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
Next time, take the email with you.
I did ! It was on my phone, I tried to show it to the salesman .. he kind of glanced at it, shrugged and handed it back..

So I called the guy in their support team who'd sent me the email so he could talk to the salesman.. his colleague said he couldn't come to the phone

-----

Anyway.. I have got an email this morning to say my credit card has been credited.

Seeya Steg.. and hopefully I've put off a few people on this forum...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ipoddle for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.06.2018, 10:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,934
Groaned at 1,097 Times in 751 Posts
Thanked 18,557 Times in 7,194 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
I did ! It was on my phone, I tried to show it to the salesman .. he kind of glanced at it, shrugged and handed it back..

So I called the guy in their support team who'd sent me the email so he could talk to the salesman.. his colleague said he couldn't come to the phone

-----

Anyway.. I have got an email this morning to say my credit card has been credited.

Seeya Steg.. and hopefully I've put off a few people on this forum...
Post your experience on Toppreise, they usually respond personally to reviews on there and take them very seriously. https://www.toppreise.ch/index.php?p=2&h=895
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.06.2018, 14:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
The 'chat' in the shop was in my bad, but not that bad, German.

Why didn't I go to Digitec... because I thought I'd found a bargain... but.. I'll stick with them in future.
I had a very similar experience recently with digitec actually. They had a package offer on 2x Dell U2715H, and since I was setting up a home office for when I'm allowed to work remotely, I thought, yes, perfect.

I get them home, unpack, set up...all's well for a bit, then they both start flickering, 1 sec on, 3 secs off, each one going at different rates. I try daisychaining, then connecting separately, then with HDMI instead of displayport...nada, they aren't working. Did a bit of googling and it turns out with this model this is very common...with certain graphics cards, they just don't work. Ho hum, I call in the warranty and take them back to Digitec Altstetten.

The sales guys tell me they have to send them back for repair - i explain that won't help, and i don't feel like having to lug them both all the way back again when they inevitably don't work again - even highlighting a link to the Dell website detailing the issue. No dice, we send them for repair - then you test them, if it doesn't work, we send them away again...you test again and if 3rd time doesn't work, you can get a credit note (or refund, maybe).

Ace.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 08.06.2018, 14:54
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,497
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
I had a very similar experience recently with digitec actually. They had a package offer on 2x Dell U2715H, and since I was setting up a home office for when I'm allowed to work remotely, I thought, yes, perfect.

I get them home, unpack, set up...all's well for a bit, then they both start flickering, 1 sec on, 3 secs off, each one going at different rates. I try daisychaining, then connecting separately, then with HDMI instead of displayport...nada, they aren't working. Did a bit of googling and it turns out with this model this is very common...with certain graphics cards, they just don't work. Ho hum, I call in the warranty and take them back to Digitec Altstetten.

The sales guys tell me they have to send them back for repair - i explain that won't help, and i don't feel like having to lug them both all the way back again when they inevitably don't work again - even highlighting a link to the Dell website detailing the issue. No dice, we send them for repair - then you test them, if it doesn't work, we send them away again...you test again and if 3rd time doesn't work, you can get a credit note (or refund, maybe).

Ace.
Jesus. That's just a waste of everyone's time.

I've had nothing about good exchanges with the folk at digitec. I bought a smart coffee maker once which I didn't like.
I didn't like it.
It worked fine. There was nothing wrong with it.
I just didn't like it.
And it made sh1t coffee.

I went down to the Digitec in Winti (where I was living at the time) and told the guy that this thing sucks. I want to return it.
He asked if there is anything wrong with it. I said nope. All fine. But I dont want it.

He hohum'ed a bit.

I said look I can say its defective.
You send it back and then it comes back and we do this schpeil a few times.
Or you just give me credit and we are done.

He gave me the credit.
__________________
"You picked the wrong house, Bub"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.06.2018, 14:55
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,058
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,030 Times in 427 Posts
ipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputation
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Yeah... but

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
Jesus. That's just a waste of everyone's time.

I've had nothing about good exchanges with the folk at digitec. I bought a smart coffee maker once which I didn't like.
I didn't like it.
It worked fine. There was nothing wrong with it.
I just didn't like it.
And it made sh1t coffee.

I went down to the Digitec in Winti (where I was living at the time) and told the guy that this thing sucks. I want to return it.
He asked if there is anything wrong with it. I said nope. All fine. But I dont want it.

He hohum'ed a bit.

I said look I can say its defective.
You send it back and then it comes back and we do this schpeil a few times.
Or you just give me credit and we are done.

He gave me the credit.
You obviously got someone a bit further up the chain of command, I got two work experience kids by the look of it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,934
Groaned at 1,097 Times in 751 Posts
Thanked 18,557 Times in 7,194 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
I had a very similar experience recently with digitec actually. They had a package offer on 2x Dell U2715H, and since I was setting up a home office for when I'm allowed to work remotely, I thought, yes, perfect.

I get them home, unpack, set up...all's well for a bit, then they both start flickering, 1 sec on, 3 secs off, each one going at different rates. I try daisychaining, then connecting separately, then with HDMI instead of displayport...nada, they aren't working. Did a bit of googling and it turns out with this model this is very common...with certain graphics cards, they just don't work. Ho hum, I call in the warranty and take them back to Digitec Altstetten.

The sales guys tell me they have to send them back for repair - i explain that won't help, and i don't feel like having to lug them both all the way back again when they inevitably don't work again - even highlighting a link to the Dell website detailing the issue. No dice, we send them for repair - then you test them, if it doesn't work, we send them away again...you test again and if 3rd time doesn't work, you can get a credit note (or refund, maybe).

Ace.
If they are new and faulty you are entitled to a direct replacement within a certain time period. I'd have asked to see the manager.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:11
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,497
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
You obviously got someone a bit further up the chain of command, I got two work experience kids by the look of it.
Nah. He was a desk jockey as well. Maybe just caught him in a good mood.

Or I've got mad people skillz! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
View Post
If they are new and faulty you are entitled to a direct replacement. I'd have asked to see the manager.
I went on a month's holiday to Asia between the time I bought them and now (violins out, I know!). He told me that you can only bring back within 30 (or maybe it was 20) days for a direct replacement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,934
Groaned at 1,097 Times in 751 Posts
Thanked 18,557 Times in 7,194 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
I went on a month's holiday to Asia between the time I bought them and now (violins out, I know!). He told me that you can only bring back within 30 (or maybe it was 20) days for a direct replacement.
Ahhh ok. That sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

Quote:
You obviously got someone a bit further up the chain of command, I got two work experience kids by the look of it.



You need to give them a steely look directly in the eye, and say that evidently this problem is far beyond their level of competance, so if they could be so nice as to trot off and find somebody at a far senior level.


Don't break eye contact
Speak in a slow monologue
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #20  
Old 08.06.2018, 15:59
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steg Electronics - jaw droppingly bad

I haven't bought anything from STEG in years. They used to have very competitive prices, but then maybe 2-3 years ago (or maybe more?) they revamped everything, offered "express" delivery, maybe new management? and then their prices went way up.... and I haven't bought from them since I usually now buy from Digitec or Microspot
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adult teeth braces and jaw surgery langridge864 Family matters/health 15 21.05.2014 04:47
Rupert Murdoch's jaw dropping divorce ground McTAVGE General off-topic 11 25.06.2013 18:37
Steg RMA issue dart68 Complaints corner 5 26.02.2013 16:44
STEG Electronics "Won't honor garanty of Defected devices" Arachnoid Complaints corner 5 03.09.2012 16:49
Botox for Jaw Muscle Reduction 1984 Family matters/health 1 10.07.2011 01:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0