Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.08.2018, 12:33
AletschBub's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 43 Posts
AletschBub is considered knowledgeableAletschBub is considered knowledgeableAletschBub is considered knowledgeable
Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Like many airlines Skywork offers passengers the chance to choose their own seat - at a price.
A couple of weeks ago my 17-year-old son was travelling on his own from Bern to London City. When booking his ticket he paid CHF20 to select a seat at the front of the plane (2D) in order to make a quick exit on arrival.
When he boarded the plane he realised that he had been allocated seat 18A. Not wishing to kick up a fuss, he didn't.
His Dad however is more grumpy.
I emailed Skywork asking for an explanation and return of the CHF20.
Their first response was essentially to say "prove it".
I replied expressing surprise that they might suspect that I had invented this episode, and pointing out that the invoice and e-ticket (enclosed with the first email) showed the seat that had been booked, and if they checked the check-in computer records they could see what seat my son had actuallybeen allocated (he had thrown away his boarding pass, so I couldn't send that). I again asked for an apology and a refund.
The response said that "if" they had done anything wrong they would apologise and make a refund, but they needed proof.
I sent a short email asking for contact details for their CEO. No reply.
I left it a few days and sent another email asking why they would not provide me with these contact details. Again no reply.
I will probably let it drop. However it is disappointing that what I had regarded as a proper scheduled airline (if such a thing still exists) has behaved like the worst sort of budget airline.

Last edited by AletschBub; 09.08.2018 at 12:35. Reason: Spelling mistake
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.08.2018, 12:45
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
Like many airlines Skywork offers passengers the chance to choose their own seat - at a price.
A couple of weeks ago my 17-year-old son was travelling on his own from Bern to London City. When booking his ticket he paid CHF20 to select a seat at the front of the plane (2D) in order to make a quick exit on arrival.
When he boarded the plane he realised that he had been allocated seat 18A. Not wishing to kick up a fuss, he didn't.
His Dad however is more grumpy.
I emailed Skywork asking for an explanation and return of the CHF20.
Their first response was essentially to say "prove it".
I replied expressing surprise that they might suspect that I had invented this episode, and pointing out that the invoice and e-ticket (enclosed with the first email) showed the seat that had been booked, and if they checked the check-in computer records they could see what seat my son had actuallybeen allocated (he had thrown away his boarding pass, so I couldn't send that). I again asked for an apology and a refund.
The response said that "if" they had done anything wrong they would apologise and make a refund, but they needed proof.
I sent a short email asking for contact details for their CEO. No reply.
I left it a few days and sent another email asking why they would not provide me with these contact details. Again no reply.
I will probably let it drop. However it is disappointing that what I had regarded as a proper scheduled airline (if such a thing still exists) has behaved like the worst sort of budget airline.
The CEO is Martin Inäbnit, as we're in Switzerland he should be easy to find

You can read a lot about him (I never heard of this airline before), if you speak German.
9.8.2018
Blick Dec. 2017

I would not let it drop as it's about your son. I know your son has to learn life is unfair but he also has to learn to defend himself by watching you do it (make sure you do it the professional way )
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.08.2018, 12:46
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,266
Groaned at 111 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 21,579 Times in 8,320 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

You'll probably find there is some small print somewhere that says the airline reserves the right for operational reasons to re-seat passengers. It probably also states that they are not obliged to refund the charge.

I say "probably" because I've had it happen to me and to people I know and complaints have gone down a blind alley.

I usually check in online as soon as online check in opens and select the seat then. Very rarely get boosted from that seat and if I do then, meh, I don't lose anything.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:00
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
You'll probably find there is some small print somewhere that says the airline reserves the right for operational reasons to re-seat passengers. It probably also states that they are not obliged to refund the charge.

I say "probably" because I've had it happen to me and to people I know and complaints have gone down a blind alley.

I usually check in online as soon as online check in opens and select the seat then. Very rarely get boosted from that seat and if I do then, meh, I don't lose anything.

This is ridiculousness at it's best.

Soon the meat-pack at Migros will have small print, saying we do not guarantee the meat not to be mouldy and should that be the case, we are not obliged to refund.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:05
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,266
Groaned at 111 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 21,579 Times in 8,320 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post

This is ridiculousness at it's best.

Soon the meat-pack at Migros will have small print, saying we do not guarantee the meat not to be mouldy and should that be the case, we are not obliged to refund.
I just poked around online a bit and it seems airlines are only obliged to "transport" you and the person on the gate has the ultimate say on where you'll sit. Passengers can be moved for reasons such as families sitting together, medics with patients, air marshalls, etc.

Refunds for extras like seat preference depend on the airline, although if they have to downgrade you most seem to cough up the difference in cost.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:11
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,579
Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,852 Times in 1,970 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

I agree, kick up a fuss.. agree too that kids need to see us standing up for ourselves if they are to learn how and when to do it.

Send a registered letter to the CEO and include copies of email correspondence.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:12
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
I just poked around online a bit and it seems airlines are only obliged to "transport" you and the person on the gate has the ultimate say on where you'll sit. Passengers can be moved for reasons such as families sitting together, medics with patients, air marshalls, etc.

Refunds for extras like seat preference depend on the airline, although if they have to downgrade you most seem to cough up the difference in cost.
I take it if they transport you in the luggage-compartment, you still have to pay over-weight. Plus extra charge for oxygen?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:20
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,266
Groaned at 111 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 21,579 Times in 8,320 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
I take it if they transport you in the luggage-compartment, you still have to pay over-weight. Plus extra charge for oxygen?
Whilst force feeding you mouldy meat from Migros, right..?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:33
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 671
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 759 Times in 343 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

It's not my 20 CHF, but this seems to have taken up a lot of your time (not your Son's) and even if they do compensate it will be something of a hollow victory.



Also, exactly what massive queue at Belp was he trying to avoid?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Homer for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:55
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
It's not my 20 CHF, but this seems to have taken up a lot of your time (not your Son's) and even if they do compensate it will be something of a hollow victory.



Also, exactly what massive queue at Belp was he trying to avoid?
Well, you see, in Belp it's not the lenth of the queue that is the problem. It's the speed of people moving forward.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,125
Groaned at 46 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 911 Times in 483 Posts
bowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputation
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Always, always, always read the terms and conditions. https://www.flyskywork.com/en/tac For example:

Quote:
5.4 SEATING
We will endeavour to honour all advance seating requests. We reserve the right to assign or reassign seats at any time, even after you have boarded the aircraft. Such action may be necessary for operational, safety or security reasons.
They say nothing about the refundability of extra charges, meaning that they must be refundable. Swiss law (Bern) applies, they even say so.

When dealing with idiotcrats always quote their own rules back at them. And if they say they want 'proof' tell them their T&Cs don't require proof. There responsibility is to prove that your son did get his paid for seat. If they can't do it, cough up!

(I used to write these T&Cs for a living. Forgive me for my sins)
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 09.08.2018, 13:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,125
Groaned at 46 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 911 Times in 483 Posts
bowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputation
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
It's not my 20 CHF, but this seems to have taken up a lot of your time (not your Son's) and even if they do compensate it will be something of a hollow victory.



Also, exactly what massive queue at Belp was he trying to avoid?
According to the OP the son was travelling to London City. Still not a big problem if you have a EU/Swiss passport. Others just get funny looks and are told to wait for someone who has a stamp.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 09.08.2018, 16:43
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,475
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 12,943 Times in 6,059 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
...your son has to learn life is unfair but he also has to learn to hold on to his boarding passes until everything associated with the trip is resolved/finalized - whether that's points claimed, refunds for delays/lost luggage, etc.
Good point, slightly modified. The first rule of anything related to airlines is to document, document, document. The boarding pass is one of the most important pieces of documentation if you want to have a snowball's chance of resolving a dispute.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:10
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,266
Groaned at 111 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 21,579 Times in 8,320 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

LOL
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:59
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
Good point, slightly modified. The first rule of anything related to airlines is to document, document, document. The boarding pass is one of the most important pieces of documentation if you want to have a snowball's chance of resolving a dispute.
Highly modified, I'd say.
Are you gonna make a habit of meddling with my posts?


As to the importance of the boarding card. Hmmm, if the plane drops and I'm dead, they will be able to tell which seat I was in. If I want my money back they're not?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 10.08.2018, 17:26
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,475
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 12,943 Times in 6,059 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
Highly modified, I'd say.
Are you gonna make a habit of meddling with my posts?


As to the importance of the boarding card. Hmmm, if the plane drops and I'm dead, they will be able to tell which seat I was in. If I want my money back they're not?
1. Maybe, but at least this time I managed to use the quote feature instead of editing your original like my numpty move last time.

2. Different scenario though. OP wants to protest the seat being changed. The boarding card shows what seat was assigned as compared to what was booked and paid for.

Even when I filed for compensation from Lufthansa for a delayed flight they insisted on having the boarding pass to prove I was on the flight.

You're right though - the passenger list and computer system also tell the airline where everyone was assigned to sit, and whether or not they were on board.

I think the airlines like to use the boarding pass as an additional hoop for people to jump through.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.08.2018, 20:07
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
1. Maybe, but at least this time I managed to use the quote feature instead of editing your original like my numpty move last time.

2. Different scenario though. OP wants to protest the seat being changed. The boarding card shows what seat was assigned as compared to what was booked and paid for.

Even when I filed for compensation from Lufthansa for a delayed flight they insisted on having the boarding pass to prove I was on the flight.

You're right though - the passenger list and computer system also tell the airline where everyone was assigned to sit, and whether or not they were on board.

I think the airlines like to use the boarding pass as an additional hoop for people to jump through.
True, you're seiously improving

Probably true - about the hoop - but ain't it depressing when companies put their energy in putting up hoops instead of just doing their job right.
I think they should let people book seats, no additional fee, no guarantee. If you're lucky you get the seat you booked, if not ..... I wouldn't care. LOL.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 11.08.2018, 13:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,125
Groaned at 46 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 911 Times in 483 Posts
bowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputationbowlie has an excellent reputation
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

I haven’t had a paper boarding card in years.

Airlines can check that someone actually travelled, but their “Departure Control System” isn’t linked to their reservations system (if you’ve got a month or two, I could explain why this is). So it is a complicated procedure for them to do so and, if you have the boarding card, it’s easier for them to ask you.

But remember, from reading the T&Cs, the onus appears on them to prove you did travel in the seat you paid for, rather than you having to prove you didn’t.

Never, ever say you will never fly with them again. (That is just an invitation for them to ignore you). Tell them you are disappointed, and why. But do tell them what you actually want. Some thing like “I expect a full refund for the seat selection fee, as you did not provide the service contracted for and compensation of a further CHF80 for the waste of my time dealing with this. If you prefer I would also accept a voucher for further transportation in the value of CHF150.” They are more likely to give you the voucher as it costs them little, and it implies further revenues down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.08.2018, 13:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 373
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 189 Posts
LuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputation
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

If you are pursuing someone for money, you usually have to prove they owe it to you, rather than the other way round, so without the boarding card your case is rather weak.

You've asked and not had the courtesy of a reply so I would just leave it. Wrong, but not worth it for the hassle of 20 francs. It's a convenient flight and there is no other choice directly out of Berne, so if you choose not to fly them again you've got the inconvenience and extra time and expense of having to go to ZRH or GVA instead.

The only thing you could do is send a letter to TheLocal.ch or the local press (try the Daily Mail as well, they like these sort of stories, especially if you or you son can add a sad face to it) and that may elicit a response or perhaps even a free ticket. Personally I'd just walk away and put it down to experience.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 11.08.2018, 13:53
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,424
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,765 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skywork Airlines C*** Customer Service

Quote:
View Post
..... Airlines can check that someone actually travelled, but their “Departure Control System” isn’t linked to their reservations system (if you’ve got a month or two, I could explain why this is)......
If it's not a simple data-security system (which people have access to which information), yes, please do.
It's a forum, I can take even more than two months to read it.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SkyWork Airlines nlee24 Transportation/driving 11 26.06.2018 13:16
customer service! bearbadger Daily life 0 24.05.2015 09:45
Damn Customer Service dodgyken Daily life 22 08.05.2014 17:26
customer service experiences grynch General off-topic 1 20.10.2010 18:18
10787 customer service zourab TV/internet/telephone 2 13.02.2007 20:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0