Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10.08.2018, 10:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 783
Groaned at 32 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 596 Times in 312 Posts
bowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of many
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
I've been to Swiss Chalet in Canada a few times. It's waaaaay better than any of the restaurants here.
Have you tried the Auberge du Dully? https://www.aubergedully.ch

Chicken (and roast lamb) much better than the Swiss Chalet, prices not quite so.

PS Please don't tell anyone else. It's a secret!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10.08.2018, 10:56
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,164
Groaned at 363 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 16,795 Times in 6,916 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
I suggest you move to the USA if your idea of a restaurant is somewhere that serves cheeseburgers.
Not really fair.

I was in Italy last year at an outside restaurant in a hill town in Tuscany and my kids were tucking into seafood pasta and wild boar enthusiastically. The food was amazing.

The Swiss people (two families) sitting next to us in the adjoining restaurant were all eating cheeseburgers and fries.

Still, if you're used to only eating nursery food at home...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 10.08.2018, 10:56
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Duebendorf
Posts: 110
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 88 Times in 48 Posts
LargeDragon is considered knowledgeableLargeDragon is considered knowledgeableLargeDragon is considered knowledgeable
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

I fondly remember the restaurant in London at The Swiss Centre in Leicester Square. My mother's all time favourite restaurant. Long gone sadly. Emulate that and you have a winner!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10.08.2018, 10:58
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,753
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 12,846 Times in 5,065 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Have you tried the Auberge du Dully? https://www.aubergedully.ch

Chicken (and roast lamb) much better than the Swiss Chalet, prices not quite so.
Why would I travel half way across Switzerland when Hotel Burg in Attinghausen is so close?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:01
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 104 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 19,908 Times in 7,639 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Not really fair.

I was in Italy last year at an outside restaurant in a hill town in Tuscany and my kids were tucking into seafood pasta and wild boar enthusiastically. The food was amazing.

The Swiss people (two families) sitting next to us in the adjoining restaurant were all eating cheeseburgers and fries.

Still, if you're used to only eating nursery food at home...
To be fair, we just came back from a holiday which was a foodie treat of fancy pickings everywhere we went. We were craving something stodgy and fatty for a change when we got back so perhaps if we'd been sat next to your lot you'd have been judging our entire lifestyle on that single event, too...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:05
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 11,957
Groaned at 152 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 14,233 Times in 7,130 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Not really fair.

I was in Italy last year at an outside restaurant in a hill town in Tuscany and my kids were tucking into seafood pasta and wild boar enthusiastically. The food was amazing.

The Swiss people (two families) sitting next to us in the adjoining restaurant were all eating cheeseburgers and fries.

Still, if you're used to only eating nursery food at home...
Uneventful? As long as it doesn't excite too much. Probably equals to nutritious to some.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:16
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,164
Groaned at 363 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 16,795 Times in 6,916 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
To be fair, we just came back from a holiday which was a foodie treat of fancy pickings everywhere we went. We were craving something stodgy and fatty for a change when we got back
Can you spot the difference between being somewhere and getting back?

Quote:
View Post
so perhaps if we'd been sat next to your lot you'd have been judging our entire lifestyle on that single event, too...
You can read my post anyway you want. I'd expect nothing less from you.

It was actually my Swiss wife who pointed out the irony of it all.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Tom1234 for this post:
  #28  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:24
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 104 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 19,908 Times in 7,639 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Can you spot the difference between being somewhere and getting back?



You can read my post anyway you want. I'd expect nothing less from you.

It was actually my Swiss wife who pointed out the irony of it all.
I wasn't focusing on the where it was or whether it was in Switzerland or Italy wherever, or even whether or not your wife is Swiss, it was more the holier-than-thou judgment of it all which was faintly funny. See a "Swiss" family eating a meal of burgers, because that's all they're probably used to because of the nurseries and such, when all my kids are enjoying all this super-duper posh food.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:34
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,164
Groaned at 363 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 16,795 Times in 6,916 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
I wasn't focusing on the where it was or whether it was in Switzerland or Italy wherever, or even whether or not your wife is Swiss, it was more the holier-than-thou judgment of it all which was faintly funny. See a "Swiss" family eating a meal of burgers, because that's all they're probably used to, when all my kids are enjoying all this super-duper posh food.
It was a outside seating market square family restaurant and certainly wasn't remotely posh. It was standard Italian food.

Maybe that's posh in your books? That's hardly my or anyone else's problem though is it?

Was it judgmental - hell yes! (But no more than the average Swiss in the street thinking that all British food is rubbish).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:37
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TI
Posts: 127
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
chrissie7 is considered knowledgeablechrissie7 is considered knowledgeablechrissie7 is considered knowledgeable
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
I wasn't focusing on the where it was or whether it was in Switzerland or Italy wherever, or even whether or not your wife is Swiss, it was more the holier-than-thou judgment of it all which was faintly funny. See a "Swiss" family eating a meal of burgers, because that's all they're probably used to because of the nurseries and such, when all my kids are enjoying all this super-duper posh food.
To be fair, this discussion about the cooking skills and eating habits of Swiss-Germans has been going for years - and you do sound slightly chippy about it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank chrissie7 for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:42
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 104 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 19,908 Times in 7,639 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
To be fair, this discussion about the cooking skills and eating habits of Swiss-Germans has been going for years - and you do sound slightly chippy about it.
No it's not. The thread is about someone wanting to open a Swiss restaurant in the US based on what seems to be his very limited experience and business skills.

I just get "chippy" (does that mean mildly amused?) with the judgy-judge-judge bitter passive-aggressive stuff justified by "well the Swiss do it so that's fine".
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:48
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,753
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 12,846 Times in 5,065 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
It was a outside seating market square family restaurant and certainly wasn't remotely posh. It was standard Italian food.

Maybe that's posh in your books? That's hardly my or anyone else's problem though is it?

Was it judgmental - hell yes! (But no more than the average Swiss in the street thinking that all British food is rubbish).
Talk about confirmation bias. Two whole families who chose to eat something that you didn't. Well I never.

If I can find 4 whole Swiss families that don't believe that all British food is rubbish do I win? Will you change your mind?
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:51
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TI
Posts: 127
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
chrissie7 is considered knowledgeablechrissie7 is considered knowledgeablechrissie7 is considered knowledgeable
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
No it's not. The thread is about someone wanting to open a Swiss restaurant in the US based on what seems to be his very limited experience and business skills.

I just get "chippy" (does that mean mildly amused?) with the judgy-judge-judge bitter passive-aggressive stuff justified by "well the Swiss do it so that's fine".
Sorry, I didn't mean this thread - just the general discussion about Swiss cooking/food.

No, chippy doesn't mean mildly amused.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank chrissie7 for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:51
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,180
Groaned at 103 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 4,355 Times in 2,118 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Not really fair.

I was in Italy last year at an outside restaurant in a hill town in Tuscany and my kids were tucking into seafood pasta and wild boar enthusiastically. The food was amazing.

The Swiss people (two families) sitting next to us in the adjoining restaurant were all eating cheeseburgers and fries.

Still, if you're used to only eating nursery food at home...
You mean your restaurant was next to a McDonalds then?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 10.08.2018, 11:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,157
Groaned at 101 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 1,841 Times in 632 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Make sure the eating space is large so that when the customers leave there is still enough space to get between the chairs they often leave standing about a metre from the table - which will anyway be hidden under discarded plates and screwed up napkins.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:01
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,482
Groaned at 713 Times in 471 Posts
Thanked 6,450 Times in 3,099 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Talk about confirmation bias. Two whole families who chose to eat something that you didn't. Well I never.

If I can find 4 whole Swiss families that don't believe that all British food is rubbish do I win? Will you change your mind?



Nobody wins again st Tom1234, you should know better than that by now !



He's like a Duracell battery, just keeps on going on and on and on until finally you agree with him
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:15
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 104 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 19,908 Times in 7,639 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post

No, chippy doesn't mean mildly amused.
Ah, it's short for "carpenter" or "fish and chip shop" where I come from. Mmmm...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:40
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,164
Groaned at 363 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 16,795 Times in 6,916 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Nobody wins again st Tom1234, you should know better than that by now !
It's not a competition. It's a difference of opinion.

You'll learn about that when you grow up.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at Tom1234 for this post:
  #39  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:46
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,164
Groaned at 363 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 16,795 Times in 6,916 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
Talk about confirmation bias. Two whole families who chose to eat something that you didn't. Well I never.
And yet you wrote that one restaurant in Canada is better than any Swiss restaurant.

Been to them all have you?

Well I never.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10.08.2018, 12:49
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,164
Groaned at 363 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 16,795 Times in 6,916 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: when I leave Switzerland I'm going to open up a Swiss restaurant

Quote:
View Post
To be fair, we just came back from a holiday which was a foodie treat of fancy pickings everywhere we went. We were craving something stodgy and fatty for a change when we got back
Out of interest, where did you go on holiday to give you stodgy and fatty cravings? Japan? Vietnam?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, restaurants




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
greenmount
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need to show B permit when I leave Switzerland? dezrael Permits/visas/government 8 04.07.2017 18:13
Asian Pop-up Restaurant open in Feb. travelingheel Entertainment & dining 0 05.02.2016 10:07
When to leave Switzerland and go back home? WilliamTell Daily life 125 11.10.2014 23:02
British bankers going to Switzerland up 28 per cent Deep Purple Swiss politics/news 35 09.03.2011 08:21
When is the right time to leave Switzerland? bluesky_2009 Daily life 71 24.08.2010 23:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0