Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Astrea has no particular reputation at present
People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Well I do not really know what to make out of this...I've noticed many people in the trams/busses not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies, they just look away...has anyone of them ever thought that they could be in their shoes one day? Just a thought...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,979
Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,115 Times in 3,383 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

As I observe it, most people commuting are tired, and are listening to music and/or reading, especially their phones. I don't think they're malicious or even meaning to be discourteous when they don't offer their seat to someone who needs in more: they are simply preoccupied with their own thoughts and don't necessarily notice what is going on around them.

However, as soon as the person who needs a seat politely asks for one, it is almost guaranteed that someone will gladly (and perhaps apologetically) stand up and let them sit down. I've never seen a polite, straightforward request (with no reproaches) fail to get the person a seat as needed.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Astrea has no particular reputation at present
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Well that's true...many are just not seeing what's happening around them...but I've seen people looking a heavily pregnant woman for example in the belly and then outside of the window or at their smartphone without a care in the world...In my opinion that's just sad...

But you are right about asking politely for a seat...so there's hope left :-)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:41
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 9,733
Groaned at 66 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 15,529 Times in 7,113 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Several times I have offered a seat to an elderly person, and they became offended and insisted on standing. Never had a pregnant lady or someone on crutches refuse though.

I think certain cultures expect one to offer a seat, whereas others expect the one in need to ask.
Reply With Quote
The following 14 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,011
Groaned at 25 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 22,527 Times in 7,181 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

I'm just happy when I can make my wobbly way on or off a train without being cursed at for daring to travel at rush hour while disabled.

In my part of Switzerland one is, both figuratively and literally, expected to stand on one's own two feet. And if one can't - 'selber schuld'.

It's just the Zeitgeist. You get used to it.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Astrea has no particular reputation at present
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

To be honest, I never thought that it may have to do with the culture...the expectation that the one in need should ask...that makes it clearer for me somehow...thank you!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Astrea for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Several times I have offered a seat to an elderly person, and they became offended and insisted on standing. Never had a pregnant lady or someone on crutches refuse though.

I think certain cultures expect one to offer a seat, whereas others expect the one in need to ask.
+1 for this.

Not me but I’ve seen it happen more than once on the tram. Either there has been a polite refusal or a downright acidic response from the elderly person.

I’ve also seen a not-so-mobile person ask if they could sit down and the seat has always been readily given up. In fact several people were ready to jump up and offer their place.

I don’t think people make such a big fuss about it here.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,345
Groaned at 280 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 11,623 Times in 6,111 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
To be honest, I never thought that it may have to do with the culture...the expectation that the one in need should ask...that makes it clearer for me somehow...thank you!
Well, it's certainly not so common like in other places but you can notice the occasional kindnesses... People offering to help you with the pram when getting on and off the bus or tram etc. Or offering their place to really frail elderly, or to disabled folks. And then you have certain generations who are all into their smartphones and couldn't care less... And they're probably the same everywhere.
Oh, and about the pregnant ladies....some might think they're just fat.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.01.2020, 01:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,979
Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,115 Times in 3,383 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
And then you have certain generations who are all into their smartphones and couldn't care less... And they're probably the same everywhere.
I still think that many who are into their smartphones do, indeed, care.

It seems to me that they just don't notice when someone has a need. They don't believe that it's their duty to be permanently alert, the don't think that they ought to be attentive, ready and prepared, towards other passengers, just in case someone might want their seat.

However, I've seen these very nice young folk jump up, and readily help with the pram or the shopping trolley or give up their seat, as soon as they are asked to help.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 03.01.2020, 04:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 330
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 515 Times in 266 Posts
terrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
I still think that many who are into their smartphones do, indeed, care.

It seems to me that they just don't notice when someone has a need. They don't believe that it's their duty to be permanently alert, the don't think that they ought to be attentive, ready and prepared, towards other passengers, just in case someone might want their seat.

However, I've seen these very nice young folk jump up, and readily help with the pram or the shopping trolley or give up their seat, as soon as they are asked to help.
I always try to be aware of the elderly/disabled and offer my seat on the tram. I have never experienced an impolite response - even from those who choose not to take up my offer. That said, I have only lived here a little under 3 years. Maybe, I have been fortunate with the tram lines I take and the people with whom I have encountered. A smile makes a world of difference in my view
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank terrifisch for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 03.01.2020, 06:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 636
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 787 Times in 370 Posts
scipio has a reputation beyond reputescipio has a reputation beyond reputescipio has a reputation beyond reputescipio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
I think certain cultures expect one to offer a seat, whereas others expect the one in need to ask.
I don't think though that in Switzerland, or as in OPs case in Zürich, it is culturally expected to wait for the person in need to ask? It at least was not when we were taught how to use public transport some decades ago (yeah, I'm getting old). Things might have changed and being preoccupied with cellphones/electronics might be partially a reason for that. But then again, I'm not sure if it really is common for people not to offer a seat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 03.01.2020, 08:22
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,540
Groaned at 1,848 Times in 1,001 Posts
Thanked 4,365 Times in 2,780 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Well I do not really know what to make out of this...I've noticed many people in the trams/busses not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies, they just look away...has anyone of them ever thought that they could be in their shoes one day? Just a thought...
And you saw that happen. Did you offer them YOUR seat?

I have never seen an elderly ( meaning someone who really needs to sit ) or an injured having to stand. And I use only public transport. I offer my seat to all such people and also the pretty women! One should always be courteous to the weaker sex.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at omtatsat for this post:
  #13  
Old 03.01.2020, 08:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,979
Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,115 Times in 3,383 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Oh, and about the pregnant ladies....some might think they're just fat.
Whether they're round because of pregnancy or obesity, I think people who are carrying more weight need a seat.

I was just thinking that it's quite amazing that we have the public transport working so well, and with so many seats available at all, when some places have fewer of those and more standing room, only.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 03.01.2020, 08:24
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,540
Groaned at 1,848 Times in 1,001 Posts
Thanked 4,365 Times in 2,780 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Whether they're round because of pregnancy or obesity, I think people who are carrying more weight need a seat.

I was just thinking that it's quite amazing that we have the public transport working so well, and with so many seats available at all, when some places have fewer of those and more standing room, only.

You seem to be a bit out of touch
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.01.2020, 08:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,979
Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,115 Times in 3,383 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
I don't think though that in Switzerland, or as in OPs case in Zürich, it is culturally expected to wait for the person in need to ask? It at least was not when we were taught how to use public transport some decades ago (yeah, I'm getting old). Things might have changed and being preoccupied with cellphones/electronics might be partially a reason for that. But then again, I'm not sure if it really is common for people not to offer a seat.
Yes, I think it is those decades that have made the difference. And the cellphones. And perhaps also the density of the people, so that some feel more of a need to withdraw into their own little bubble, not paying so much attention to their surroundings.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.01.2020, 08:33
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,540
Groaned at 1,848 Times in 1,001 Posts
Thanked 4,365 Times in 2,780 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Whether they're round because of pregnancy or obesity, I think people who are carrying more weight need a seat.

I was just thinking that it's quite amazing that we have the public transport working so well, and with so many seats available at all, when some places have fewer of those and more standing room, only.
The fatties need two seats! The only thing they need is to stop stuffing their gobs with fast food!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.01.2020, 08:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,752
Groaned at 105 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,597 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Well I do not really know what to make out of this...I've noticed many people in the trams/busses not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies, they just look away...has anyone of them ever thought that they could be in their shoes one day? Just a thought...
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

I see seats being offered on a frequent basis on Zürich trams and buses where somebody looks to be in need. I’ve also been offered seats when carrying Nickatbaseljnr in a babybjörn. Ditto Basel when we lived there.

Contrast with London some years ago when MrsNickatbasel was obviously heavily pregnant and it people just crammed on and did not offer a seat.

I have also offered seats to the old and infirm - sometimes accepted, other times graciously declined as they were only travelling a stop or two.

Quote:
View Post
I offer my seat to all such people and also the pretty women! One should always be courteous to the weaker sex.
And that way you guarantee a seat to yourself.

Cheers,
Nick
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 03.01.2020, 09:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,979
Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,115 Times in 3,383 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
The fatties need two seats! The only thing they need is to stop stuffing their gobs with fast food!
... or the correct medical treatment, if available, for whichever condition is causing their breadth. And a little compassion in everyday life.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 03.01.2020, 09:46
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,173
Groaned at 448 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 19,498 Times in 8,170 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

Quote:
View Post
Several times I have offered a seat to an elderly person, and they became offended and insisted on standing.

I think certain cultures expect one to offer a seat, whereas others expect the one in need to ask.
Never had that. When accepted, in a grateful way. When declined (very rarely), always politely.


Quote:
View Post
I always try to be aware of the elderly/disabled and offer my seat on the tram. I have never experienced an impolite response - even from those who choose not to take up my offer. A smile makes a world of difference in my view
That's the thing - I guess it depends on how you offer your seat to someone too.

Quote:
View Post

However, I've seen these very nice young folk jump up, and readily help with the pram or the shopping trolley or give up their seat, as soon as they are asked to help.
My wife was shopping alone for clothes for our son before Christmas, and was holding up sports shirts trying to work out what which size would fit him.

A couple of surly-looking teenagers were also looking.
My wife was most surprised when one of the teenage boys approached her, asked whether he could help and if her child was roughly the same size as he was, he could perhaps try the shirts on himself so she could work out which one she needed! It made her day.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 03.01.2020, 10:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: People not offering their seat to elderly, injured or heavily pregnant ladies

If somebody needs a seat then they ask for one and get it !


To draw attention to them by jumping up and making noise about offering a seat is not appreciated.



The Swiss are very conservative and don't like drawing attention to themselves.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharing a flat with elderly people? yasminmelanie Daily life 6 12.07.2016 17:04
Swiss cyclotourist heavily injured in CZ MusicChick Swiss politics/news 0 15.08.2011 23:31
Moving away when heavily pregnant? (Last trimester) Nil Family matters/health 98 02.03.2011 21:13
Looking for online shop offering car seat RuTiA Family matters/health 4 18.02.2008 21:38
Help for elderly people/Domestic help available Rahul Employment 0 03.09.2007 12:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0