Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.07.2020, 16:11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ktokto has no particular reputation at present
Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Hi all,
I'd like to ask whether anybody knows how the Swiss legislature works when it comes to consumer protection when purchasing services. Specifically in my situation, I received a terrible service at a hair salon (cut all my hair off, dyed the wrong colour, took 2ice as long as necessary), but they keep refusing to refund my money. I had no option to refuse the full payment on spot (not sure it's legal but mostly, I was held hostage by my deposit which was higher then the actual cost of the service). All they're offering is another service I do not want ('fixing' the colour in a way that won't fix it & free haircut with the same stylist in the future). Obviously, this situation cannot be 'fixed' as I cannot grow 4 months worth of hair overnight (we're not talking cutting extra 4cm off of long hair, what I am left with is a veeeery short and uneven pixie).


I have contacted the Federal Consumer Affairs Burreau who didn't provide any information other than referring me to Coiffure Suiss - a 'hairdressers guild' so to say. However, they're saying they do not deal with customers protection and their function is purely administrative.


Any tips would be helpful, as this disaster cost me 169CHF for the service, another 200 to get it fixed elsewhere, and 170chf in half a days wages as I ended up having to take half a day off (my original after work appointment got lost in their system and had to be rescheduled mid day, which would have been fine if the cut & colour on short hair didn't take 4 hours).


Thank you
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at ktokto for this post:
  #2  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:17
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 805
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 964 Times in 429 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Hairdressers in Switzerland are very professional. You must have seen how much was being cut off in the mirror

Anyway in most civilised countries hairdressers have to be insured by law. Not sure you are for real.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,044
Groaned at 363 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 13,862 Times in 6,473 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post
You must have seen how much was being cut off in the mirror

.
I don’t if I take off my glasses 😂


But then I do tell in advance how much shorter I want it to be
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:30
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,612
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,498 Times in 3,568 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

That's why I don't go to hairdressers. I dye my hair at home and rather than having a hairdo, I have a hair don't.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:32
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 805
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 964 Times in 429 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

I haven't dyed my own hair for 35 years now! There are chemicals in home dyes that aren't in the professional salon ones. I also trust my hairdresser more than myself
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:42
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,612
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,498 Times in 3,568 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post
I haven't dyed my own hair for 35 years now! There are chemicals in home dyes that aren't in the professional salon ones. I also trust my hairdresser more than myself
I guess I didn't know that. I use Garnier Olia, and it leaves my hair feeling in better condition than before I used it. Hairdressers are just so expensive here. And when mine needs a trim, I have my hubby do it.

To the OP... I think most people have had at least one bad experience at the hair salon. I took my son in once and, without asking me first, the woman made shave markings on the side of his head that made him look like Vanilla Ice. This might be one of those things where you can complain to the manager about it but not much else. I hope your hair grows back out quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:48
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 805
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 964 Times in 429 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Hairdressing and good hair products are my one indulgence. I was bald for a year when I had chemo so I like being pampered for a couple of hours
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 04.07.2020, 21:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 04.07.2020, 22:01
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,418 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,
I'd like to ask whether anybody knows how the Swiss legislature works when it comes to consumer protection when purchasing services. Specifically in my situation, I received a terrible service at a hair salon (cut all my hair off, dyed the wrong colour, took 2ice as long as necessary), but they keep refusing to refund my money. I had no option to refuse the full payment on spot (not sure it's legal but mostly, I was held hostage by my deposit which was higher then the actual cost of the service). All they're offering is another service I do not want ('fixing' the colour in a way that won't fix it & free haircut with the same stylist in the future). Obviously, this situation cannot be 'fixed' as I cannot grow 4 months worth of hair overnight (we're not talking cutting extra 4cm off of long hair, what I am left with is a veeeery short and uneven pixie).


I have contacted the Federal Consumer Affairs Burreau who didn't provide any information other than referring me to Coiffure Suiss - a 'hairdressers guild' so to say. However, they're saying they do not deal with customers protection and their function is purely administrative.


Any tips would be helpful, as this disaster cost me 169CHF for the service, another 200 to get it fixed elsewhere, and 170chf in half a days wages as I ended up having to take half a day off (my original after work appointment got lost in their system and had to be rescheduled mid day, which would have been fine if the cut & colour on short hair didn't take 4 hours).


Thank you
I thought you said it could not be fixed.... since it obviously could be fixed and you decide to go else where to have it fixed... the expense is your doing and your problem.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 04.07.2020, 22:16
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 805
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 964 Times in 429 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refung - Consumer rights in services

Perhaps by "fixed" the OP meant they had their hair in a bag and consulted another salon to have it stuck back on
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 05.07.2020, 21:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,742
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,102 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

I think what she means is clear.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.07.2020, 21:07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Posts: 434
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 467 Times in 183 Posts
logo123 has an excellent reputationlogo123 has an excellent reputationlogo123 has an excellent reputationlogo123 has an excellent reputation
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Before the thread completely derails, let me try and answer the question.
I don't think you have much choice in getting the money back (and this is not unusual in other countries as well because the service has been delivered). Taking the legal route would be sub-optimal and expensive. Maybe avail of the offer they have made. Else chalk this up to a learning experience and avoid going back. Hope this helps. Sorry for your experience.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank logo123 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 05.07.2020, 21:13
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,
I'd like to ask whether anybody knows how the Swiss legislature works when it comes to consumer protection when purchasing services. Specifically in my situation, I received a terrible service at a hair salon (cut all my hair off, dyed the wrong colour, took 2ice as long as necessary), but they keep refusing to refund my money. I had no option to refuse the full payment on spot (not sure it's legal but mostly, I was held hostage by my deposit which was higher then the actual cost of the service). All they're offering is another service I do not want ('fixing' the colour in a way that won't fix it & free haircut with the same stylist in the future). Obviously, this situation cannot be 'fixed' as I cannot grow 4 months worth of hair overnight (we're not talking cutting extra 4cm off of long hair, what I am left with is a veeeery short and uneven pixie).


I have contacted the Federal Consumer Affairs Burreau who didn't provide any information other than referring me to Coiffure Suiss - a 'hairdressers guild' so to say. However, they're saying they do not deal with customers protection and their function is purely administrative.


Any tips would be helpful, as this disaster cost me 169CHF for the service, another 200 to get it fixed elsewhere, and 170chf in half a days wages as I ended up having to take half a day off (my original after work appointment got lost in their system and had to be rescheduled mid day, which would have been fine if the cut & colour on short hair didn't take 4 hours).


Thank you
Whats the name of the hairdresser?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #14  
Old 05.07.2020, 22:10
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,593
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,389 Times in 7,438 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services


I don't know why people groaned


And OP paid a deposit? Seriously?

I liked the Federal Consumer Affairs Burreau bit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.07.2020, 08:18
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,139
Groaned at 86 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 18,800 Times in 8,379 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post

I don't know why people groaned


And OP paid a deposit? Seriously?

I liked the Federal Consumer Affairs Burreau bit.
I've never heard of giving a deposit for a haircut. That's really odd. I have been told in advance an estimate of the cost, and asked if that was okay - presumably creating a verbal contract that I'll pay.

I've had bad color jobs, it happens especially when you have red undertones in your hair. I've had less-than-ideal haircuts too, but I've never just let them do whatever until the end. If I see it's not going the way I want, I stop them. Even when I was blind without my glasses I could tell whether the cut was going the way I wanted.

As for compensation for taking a half a day off, surely OP is joking?

I learn something new every day. Apparently there IS a Federal Consumer Affairs Bureau in Switzerland.

OP, you probably don't have a leg to stand on. They offered you a new service for free and you declined. I understand why, but they did try to offer a solution. You could try writing a registered letter to them expressing your dismay and asking for the 169 back, but I think you're dreaming if you think they'll cover your work time and the other hairdresser.

Also who charges 200 bucks to fix a pixie cut? Find some more reputable hairdressers!
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 06.07.2020, 09:14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 175
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 126 Posts
GParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

I don't know what I'm doing in a hairdressing thread, but a deposit? Seriously?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank GParker for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 06.07.2020, 09:25
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,220
Groaned at 347 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 11,982 Times in 4,109 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Yet another newbie thread which is totally troll...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 06.07.2020, 09:34
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,593
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,389 Times in 7,438 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post
Yet another newbie thread which is totally troll...
...... on a Friday though.

Newbie is either a quick learner or a reincarnation.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 06.07.2020, 10:53
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,029
Groaned at 349 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 16,620 Times in 5,088 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

I'm only released from the handcuffs on hairstylist's chair after paying. No need for a deposit.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 06.07.2020, 11:27
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,154
Groaned at 46 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,376 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hairdresser refund - Consumer rights in services

Quote:
View Post
. . .
cut all my hair off
. . .
Quite understandable if you told the hair dresser how much shorter your hair should be, probably in a language foreign to that hair dresser, maybe aided by some sign language. It was misinterpreted as the final length.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
consumer rights, hair salon, hairdressers, refund




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consumer Rights LuganoPirate Complaints corner 6 28.09.2018 15:32
Consumer Rights kirschner27 Other/general 45 07.10.2016 22:18
Consumer rights FAQ newtoswitz Other/general 3 05.07.2016 12:34
Consumer rights in Switzerland Gav Other/general 76 03.04.2015 15:13
consumer rights Zurichdan Other/general 3 31.08.2010 12:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0