Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06.07.2020, 14:19
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,089
Groaned at 485 Times in 404 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

this website survives by selling advertising, to do this they need traffic, now I'm not saying they do this, but the threads trolls start / partake in get a hell of a lot of traffic, get a few regulars all stirred up and a flame war going and bingo the stats the advertisers all want to see go up.

Lets face it EF is in the last twitches of a death throe, new (proper) members are few and far between and obnoxious racists are allowed to post at will.
  #22  
Old 06.07.2020, 14:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
Lets face it EF is in the last twitches of a death throe, new (proper) members are few and far between and obnoxious racists are allowed to post at will.
And don't like to be challenged on it, it turns out.
  #23  
Old 06.07.2020, 14:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,886
Groaned at 89 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 11,921 Times in 4,840 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
I wrote to the mods detailing what I felt were abuses of power, they agreed and let me know said mod would not involve his or herself on threads in which I was participating.
Thanks for the explanation. It's good to know that that is possible. That sounds like a wise decision amongst the mods.
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 06.07.2020, 14:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,886
Groaned at 89 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 11,921 Times in 4,840 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
this website survives by selling advertising, to do this they need traffic, now I'm not saying they do this, but the threads trolls start / partake in get a hell of a lot of traffic, get a few regulars all stirred up and a flame war going and bingo the stats the advertisers all want to see go up.
Probably.
  #25  
Old 06.07.2020, 15:09
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,428
Groaned at 634 Times in 406 Posts
Thanked 16,151 Times in 6,313 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It's good to know that that is possible. That sounds like a wise decision amongst the mods.
That information is incorrect and most likely mentioned under false pretense.
The following 5 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 06.07.2020, 15:23
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,066
Groaned at 352 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 16,638 Times in 5,096 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
That information is incorrect and most likely mentioned under false pretense.
If that is the case, Hart Moss should be banned from the forum once and for all.
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 06.07.2020, 15:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
If that is the case, Hart Moss should be banned from the forum once and for all.
I'm afraid it is entirely the case, I was informed via PM of this.

I am sure a mod will be along shortly to confirm it.

I'm not sure what the etiquette here is, but usually on forums you aren't meant to reveal the contents of PMs, so I will refrain from doing so until I am told I can.

Please note I have been incredibly careful not to mention which mod is involved in this, which I think is only fair.
  #28  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:19
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,630
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,446 Times in 7,466 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It's good to know that that is possible. That sounds like a wise decision amongst the mods.
The wise decision amongst the mods is not some order one what to do or not to do but to discuss difficulties they have with users and if there is disagreement on the case amongst the mods , the one having dealt with the user/problem so far says: "Okay, I keep out of it, you guys give it a try".

To some this may sound wise, to others it's just the way to deal with such things.
Pass the case on. Social workers do that too.
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
The wise decision amongst the mods is not some order one what to do or not to do but to discuss difficulties they have with users and if there is disagreement on the case amongst the mods , the one having dealt with the user/problem so far says: "Okay, I keep out of it, you guys give it a try".
This seems to be implying the user is the problem. That may not always be the case.
  #30  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:41
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,056
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,548 Times in 8,833 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
The wise decision amongst the mods is not some order one what to do or not to do but to discuss difficulties they have with users and if there is disagreement on the case amongst the mods , the one having dealt with the user/problem so far says: "Okay, I keep out of it, you guys give it a try".
I have read this sentence several times and I still can’t work out what you’re trying to say.
Could you clarify please? Maybe try a couple of shorter sentences because this one is very long and convoluted.
  #31  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:42
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,630
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,446 Times in 7,466 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
This seems to be implying the user is the problem. That may not always be the case.
Phrasing, phrasing. I said difficulties. And a lot of things factor in when there are difficulties.
  #32  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
View Post
Quote:

...and the mod who abused me is no longer allowed to participate in threads I am in.
I've not heard of that option before. How did you achieve that? I think there might be quite a number of users who would, at times, like to have that level of protection.
He hasn't, he didn't, and it's not an option.

Quote:
I'm afraid it is entirely the case, I was informed via PM of this.
No, you were not. You're deliberately misinterpreting what was said, trying to score points, provoke, or generally stir up trouble. Please desist.
  #33  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
this website survives by selling advertising, to do this they need traffic, now I'm not saying they do this, but the threads trolls start / partake in get a hell of a lot of traffic, get a few regulars all stirred up and a flame war going and bingo the stats the advertisers all want to see go up.

Lets face it EF is in the last twitches of a death throe, new (proper) members are few and far between and obnoxious racists are allowed to post at will.
Advertising. What advertising?
  #34  
Old 06.07.2020, 16:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
He hasn't, he didn't, and it's not an option.



No, you were not. You're deliberately misinterpreting what was said, trying to score points, provoke, or generally stir up trouble. Please desist.
I feel you are severely impugning my character here.

Am I therefore allowed to reveal the contents of said messages to defend myself?
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 06.07.2020, 17:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,886
Groaned at 89 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 11,921 Times in 4,840 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

@HartMoss, as I wrote above:
Quote:
View Post
Yes, this forum does get moderated. Some mods are frequently active here, others less so, some take their task seriously, others less so, some have a greater tolerance for nonsense, aggression and nastiness on the forum (and some even produce some of it themselves), and others are much more frequently polite and helpful.
but also... we each have our subjective sense of what counts as abuse or nonsense, aggression and nastiness.

I don't read all the threads, not by a long way, and so I don't even know what the actual incidents are/were, about which you're feeling unhappy, nor to what Ace1 is referring, in his post 32, above.

My experience here is that things escalate in waves. Although our perception is subjective, sometimes vitriolic attacks seem to set off more such attacks. Then, some people just back off and lie low for a while, some turn their attention to other threads or users or even to Real Life for a while, and sometimes, on account of the nastiness of one or another user, some users even leave the forum. Then someone comes along and says: "Please, folks, can we become a bit more friendly around here? Thanks." and someone else says: "Aren't the mods doing their job?" and so the wheels turn.

It is an exceptional, sophisticated, harmonious forum which manages to function outside of such mechanisms. And EF is not that. We're just a completely ordinary forum with all the troubles and bickering that are so commonly known in fora, plus some amazing support and kindness shown in the forum, and behind the scenes.

My tip for you is, just don't enter into the squabble. You feel that someone is being abusive to you? Then just avoid that user. With any other user than a mod, you can put them on "ignore". But even when you see a mod's posts, then just like any other posts, you don't have to enter into them. Just try - even if you're annoyed - to move along and occupy yourself with something else.

Really, it's not worth getting involved in the nastiness, because you run the risk of escalating it, or of being accused of so doing (and just as from your perspective it is "them", from their perspective it is "you"). Just try to side-step it, and be involved in parts of the forum that do you good, and where you can contribute so as to help others.
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 06.07.2020, 17:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
View Post
My tip for you is, just don't enter into the squabble. You feel that someone is being abusive to you? Then just avoid that user. With any other user than a mod, you can put them on "ignore". But even when you see a mod's posts, then just like any other posts, you don't have to enter into them. Just try - even if you're annoyed - to move along and occupy yourself with something else.
I fully agree. I reported the abuse and was promised it would not continue.

Now it has continued despite that assurance.

I did not break the "contract" here.
  #37  
Old 06.07.2020, 17:12
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,145
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,849 Times in 8,393 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trolls........

Quote:
I fully agree. I reported the abuse and was promised it would not continue.

Now it has continued despite that assurance.

I did not break the "contract" here.
From my perspective, there is no contract.

Please forward to me, privately, the PM you think somehow agrees that you were abused and that a mod is not going to post in your threads again. Because when I read your complaint at the time, that's not the conclusion I came to. Now you are further accusing a mod of abusing you. That's pretty bold.

/Back on-topic:
This thread has veered far off-topic and is getting personal, so it's time to close.

If members think someone is trolling, they can simply not engage with that user. Maybe someone really did get a bad haircut or a fine on the train. So what? I've not seen requests for EF members to send money to pay the fines or cover costs so there is no harm here if someone wants to start a thread. We all have the option to ignore and move on.
The following 3 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trolls. Nothingspecial Complaints corner 128 04.09.2016 21:09
Duplicate Trolls dodgyken Forum support 26 26.07.2016 07:56
Trolls beware Gastro Gnome General off-topic 1 15.10.2010 19:10
the trolls amongst us.... swissotter Forum support 99 13.04.2010 20:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0