Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 16.10.2020, 21:49
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I had to go to our neighborhood Migros this evening, which is a small-ish store, and one of the workers in there was not wearing a mask, as usual (I never see her wear a mask in there anymore). She was walking around coughing all over the place. And it was that deep kind of cough, like you know something is not right.

Does anyone know why some workers in the grocery stores do not have to wear masks right now?

At my local Lidl and Aldi, 90% of the workers have their masks down.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #282  
Old 16.10.2020, 22:10
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

I found an outfit for FMF The link said that it is Corona proof


Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #283  
Old 16.10.2020, 22:17
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,022
Groaned at 281 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 10,562 Times in 3,962 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
Really, I would have asked to see the Manager.
Quote:
View Post
At my local Lidl and Aldi, 90% of the workers have their masks down.
Yeah, I know it must really suck to have to wear masks all day at work. But with the way that woman was walking around coughing all over the place AND not wearing one, I just couldn't help but 'raise an eyebrow' to it. There are a lot of elderly people who go into that Migros.
I admit, I had considered writing Migros about it. And to be honest, the last few times that I've been in that store and she was working, I've heard her coughing without a mask. It was just particularly bad today, I guess. I just have no idea why she isn't wearing one.
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 16.10.2020, 22:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 347 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 16,152 Times in 8,213 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I had to go to our neighborhood Migros this evening, which is a small-ish store, and one of the workers in there was not wearing a mask, as usual (I never see her wear a mask in there anymore). She was walking around coughing all over the place. And it was that deep kind of cough, like you know something is not right.

Does anyone know why some workers in the grocery stores do not have to wear masks right now?
Last time I went to a local store (which was a few days ago), not all the staff was wearing a mask, well at least not those who were arranging goods on shelves.

As for that kind of bad cough, I also used to cough "inconsolably" if there was a lot of dust, one time to the point that an old lady told recommended me to run some tests for asthma... I'm not asthmatic, but if I come across with dust and a few other allergens it can be bad. Sometimes.

Maybe she had a similar problem.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #285  
Old 16.10.2020, 22:49
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,756
Groaned at 619 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,764 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
What do you propose? I understand it's for my own safety and for the safety of other people too. Since I don't want a second lockdown, this is a really small price to pay. What is all this fuss about?
Most of Europe has had a mandatory mask requirement for months now, yet in spite of this numbers are rising fast and they're introducing second lockdown measures.

The evidence that masks work in a lab is weak at best, the evidence they work within populations is non-existent. It's not that it's a small price to pay, it's rather that it is a pointless exercise that is clearly having no effect.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #286  
Old 16.10.2020, 22:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 347 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 16,152 Times in 8,213 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
Most of Europe has had a mandatory mask requirement for months now, yet in spite of this numbers are rising fast and they're introducing second lockdown measures.

The evidence that masks work in a lab is weak at best, the evidence they work within populations is non-existent. It's not that it's a small price to pay, it's rather that it is a pointless exercise that is clearly having no effect.
Most of these new infections have been contracted within communities i.e. when people socialised without masks. Schools have been open, larger gatherings of people permitted, there are other causes or explanations.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #287  
Old 16.10.2020, 22:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
Most of these new infections have been contracted within communities i.e. when people socialised without masks. Schools have been open, larger gatherings of people permitted, there are other causes or explanations.
In Malta 50% of cases come back to family gatherings, hugging & kissing multi generations.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 16.10.2020, 23:08
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,022
Groaned at 281 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 10,562 Times in 3,962 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
Last time I went to a local store (which was a few days ago), not all the staff was wearing a mask, well at least not those who were arranging goods on shelves.

As for that kind of bad cough, I also used to cough "inconsolably" if there was a lot of dust, one time to the point that an old lady told recommended me to run some tests for asthma... I'm not asthmatic, but if I come across with dust and a few other allergens it can be bad. Sometimes.

Maybe she had a similar problem.
Yeah, I wondered if there could be a different reason for her coughing (and not virus-related). But still, considering the amount of people she comes into contact with every day, working with the public, when she's coughing like that, she should really be wearing a mask.
I actually did once notice a cashier in Denner a few weeks ago, who wasn't wearing a mask. I asked her why she didn't have to and she said it was because she had tested negative a few days prior. I found that a bit odd.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #289  
Old 16.10.2020, 23:11
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,022
Groaned at 281 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 10,562 Times in 3,962 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
In Malta 50% of cases come back to family gatherings, hugging & kissing multi generations.
I wonder if the "kiss, kiss, kiss" greeting here in Switzerland will end up disappearing into the past, even after the pandemic has ended. People will get use to not doing it anymore, perhaps. I never liked it, to be honest. It felt fake and awkward.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #290  
Old 17.10.2020, 12:01
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 114
Groaned at 56 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 50 Posts
janvier is considered unworthyjanvier is considered unworthyjanvier is considered unworthy
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if the "kiss, kiss, kiss" greeting here in Switzerland will end up disappearing into the past, even after the pandemic has ended. People will get use to not doing it anymore, perhaps. I never liked it, to be honest. It felt fake and awkward.
Yes. And its always a problem with which cheek to start with. If you get that wrong you are in deep water!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank janvier for this useful post:
  #291  
Old 17.10.2020, 14:16
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if the "kiss, kiss, kiss" greeting here in Switzerland will end up disappearing into the past, even after the pandemic has ended. People will get use to not doing it anymore, perhaps. I never liked it, to be honest. It felt fake and awkward.
I don't think it will, I don't think they stopped, I got plenty in June in Geneva.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #292  
Old 17.10.2020, 14:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if the "kiss, kiss, kiss" greeting here in Switzerland will end up disappearing into the past, even after the pandemic has ended. People will get use to not doing it anymore, perhaps. I never liked it, to be honest. It felt fake and awkward.
Quote:
View Post
I don't think it will, I don't think they stopped, I got plenty in June in Geneva.
I noticed, when the French had reopened in July, that the non-brit patrons of our real-ale pub in Abondance were mostly all doing it still. At the time I thought it was just that they thought once lockdown was finished it was all over, but then again maybe they were just being stupid and ignoring the advice on principle.

I think now that it's been around a while this behaviour has diminished - certainly you don't see it in informal settings like supermarkets. I'd hope so, anyway, otherwise I just despair.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #293  
Old 17.10.2020, 14:34
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 149
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 158 Times in 75 Posts
Son of Mom has an excellent reputationSon of Mom has an excellent reputationSon of Mom has an excellent reputationSon of Mom has an excellent reputation
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
Most of Europe has had a mandatory mask requirement for months now, yet in spite of this numbers are rising fast and they're introducing second lockdown measures.

The evidence that masks work in a lab is weak at best, the evidence they work within populations is non-existent. It's not that it's a small price to pay, it's rather that it is a pointless exercise that is clearly having no effect.
And here you fall into one of the versions of "Prevention Paradoxes". Why do you call this pointless? Do you know what the numbers and situation would be if people would not wear masks? No one ever stated that masks -especially the ones used today and used as lashly- are panacea, this is one of the measures that are here to slow down spread of the epidemics.

I am amazed at the level of utter stupidity and arrogance some people show when they cry out about "my freedom is violated when I am forced to wear a mask", those are well on the the same level as ass**les who would come to the office coughing and sneezing or enter grocery store and sneeze around without even covering their mouth. This is valid not only in Corona times btw.

As of people who have to work in masks: Main issue with simple surgery masks is that they get wet rather quickly and become very inconvenient. This issue is resolved by frequent mask swaps, better yet in combination with valve equipped masks that let out most of moisture through dedicated valve. Employers must be required by law (sadly) to provide their employees such equipment.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Son of Mom for this useful post:
  #294  
Old 17.10.2020, 16:05
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
Most of Europe has had a mandatory mask requirement for months now, yet in spite of this numbers are rising fast and they're introducing second lockdown measures.

The evidence that masks work in a lab is weak at best, the evidence they work within populations is non-existent. It's not that it's a small price to pay, it's rather that it is a pointless exercise that is clearly having no effect.
Not actually true - there is plenty of research on this, and the overall result is that in both healthcare and close-proximity public settings there is a reduction in transmission when masks are worn.

For example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7253999/

The reduction is not that big, but across a whole population it can be significant.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #295  
Old 17.10.2020, 16:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 347 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 16,152 Times in 8,213 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if the "kiss, kiss, kiss" greeting here in Switzerland will end up disappearing into the past, even after the pandemic has ended. People will get use to not doing it anymore, perhaps. I never liked it, to be honest. It felt fake and awkward.
I think it's weird when you hardly know the people. 3 is one too many though.

It's not OK now (and much less done hopefully), but I don't think it will disappear. I think many people are missing that kind of closeness.

Last edited by greenmount; 17.10.2020 at 16:26.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #296  
Old 17.10.2020, 16:21
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I think it's weird when you hardly know the people. 3 is one too many though.
South of France can be 4
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #297  
Old 17.10.2020, 17:42
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,022
Groaned at 281 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 10,562 Times in 3,962 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
I think it's weird when you hardly know the people. 3 is one too many though.

It's not OK now (and much less done hopefully), but I don't think it will disappear. I think many people are missing that kind of closeness.
I still prefer a hug. Maybe it's just a matter of what you're use to... a cultural thing. But I have noticed before that Swiss friends often like to give me a hug instead of doing the kiss-kiss-kiss thing. I remember I once accidentally ended up kissing my best friend's husband on the neck while doing that, because he had moved his head. Oops.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #298  
Old 17.10.2020, 22:28
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,756
Groaned at 619 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,764 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
And here you fall into one of the versions of "Prevention Paradoxes". Why do you call this pointless? Do you know what the numbers and situation would be if people would not wear masks? No one ever stated that masks -especially the ones used today and used as lashly- are panacea, this is one of the measures that are here to slow down spread of the epidemics.

I am amazed at the level of utter stupidity and arrogance some people show when they cry out about "my freedom is violated when I am forced to wear a mask", those are well on the the same level as ass**les who would come to the office coughing and sneezing or enter grocery store and sneeze around without even covering their mouth. This is valid not only in Corona times btw.

As of people who have to work in masks: Main issue with simple surgery masks is that they get wet rather quickly and become very inconvenient. This issue is resolved by frequent mask swaps, better yet in combination with valve equipped masks that let out most of moisture through dedicated valve. Employers must be required by law (sadly) to provide their employees such equipment.
I call it pointless because it is pointless!

We reduced the rate of infection across Europe without the use of masks. Infections started to rise after masks have been made mandatory. There is no correlation between the rise in the infection rate in countries that use masks and those that don't. There is no correlation either within Switzerland for the infection rate with Cantons that have mandatory masks and those that don't.

You can call it stupidity, but I'll tell you what's really stupid, is the blind faith people have in masks that are clearly having absolutely no effect in keeping the Covid infection rate in check!

Quote:
View Post
Not actually true - there is plenty of research on this, and the overall result is that in both healthcare and close-proximity public settings there is a reduction in transmission when masks are worn.

For example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7253999/

The reduction is not that big, but across a whole population it can be significant.
Yes, this is just a glorified literature review. It's been posted before, and I've posted scientific papers on these pages that show masks to be ineffective. I can't be bothered to dig them out anymore, it's not like anyone changed their mind anyway.

Masks have been in use long enough across Europe that we should be seeing some sort of benefit by now. As it is, we've seen nothing. Zilch. Rien. The reduction across the whole population is so small, that is it is imperceptible. So what's the point in wearing them again?!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #299  
Old 18.10.2020, 00:53
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 149
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 158 Times in 75 Posts
Son of Mom has an excellent reputationSon of Mom has an excellent reputationSon of Mom has an excellent reputationSon of Mom has an excellent reputation
Re: Mask dodgers

Quote:
View Post
You can call it stupidity, but I'll tell you what's really stupid, is the blind faith people have in masks that are clearly having absolutely no effect in keeping the Covid infection rate in check!

You might be right or you might be wrong, we will know once the crisis is over and careful analysis is done.


For now I will disagree with "if brings nothing" argument. If there is a chance that some measure reduces transmission risk AND this measure is as simple and unobtrusive as wearing a mask then it should be done.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Son of Mom for this useful post:
  #300  
Old 18.10.2020, 00:56
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wilpers has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mask dodgers

I think it's selfish and ignorant to not wear a mask. Obviously this isn't going to just go away so we need to take sensible precautions. Those people are not sensible and are increasing the potential that things get much, much worse before they get better.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wilpers for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is wearing the mask rule followed in your canton? McTAVGE Daily life 57 01.08.2020 20:55
National Register of Fare Dodgers Medea Fleecestealer Transportation/driving 5 12.02.2018 23:33
where can i buy skimary mummy mask fondfawn Daily life 7 03.02.2014 17:41
Brits are soap dodgers. simon_ch International affairs/politics 38 15.08.2009 11:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0