Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.10.2020, 21:34
Dinivan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 155
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 193 Times in 97 Posts
Dinivan has made some interesting contributions
Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

A couple of weeks ago I cancelled my home internet contract with Salt 2 years into it. Awful customer service with long waits and wrong invoices.

So, according to the contract, I had to return the router. According to the contract I signed, section "appareils": "A l’expiration du Contrat, vous devez restituer les appareils non endommagés ŕ Salt dans les trente (30) jours suivant la fin de la durée. Si vous ne restituez pas les appareils, les câbles et les accessoires ou les restituez endommagés, vous devez payer un dédommagement conformément ŕ l’information produit se trouvant sur fiber.salt.ch."

For non-french speakers: "when the contract expires, you have to return the undamaged devices on the 30 days that follow the contract expiration. If you do not return the devices, the cables, and the accessories, or return them damaged, you have to pay a penalty in accordance with the information on the product found in fibre.salt.ch"

So, here I am, happy to change provider and leave this people behind. I go into the store with the router, the cables, and all accessories. In mint condition. Then the guy produces a sheet with the prices (which I could not find in their website) and starts ticking off the returned items, until he reaches "box".

He wants me to return the original box, or pay 25 francs for the lack of it. A carton box for 25 francs.

I point out that nowhere in the contract does it say that I needed to keep and return the carton box. He doesn't care. I insist and he directs me to salt's customer service number, which I call in his presence and after 30 minutes waiting for someone, finally one of the agents answers. He also ignores me, but again I insist that he needed to check the contract that I signed.

His final answer? "a box is a device" (appareil). WTF. And the store agent? "I cannot accept the returned items unless you pay in full the 25 francs; if you decide to not return any of the items, then Salt may force you to pay additional penalties".

I'm tired of big companies ignoring contracts and law, it only applies to them when it is you who has to pay.

FOR NEW PEOPLE ARRIVING INTO SWITZERLAND: AVOID SALT.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Dinivan for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Dinivan for this post:
  #2  
Old 14.10.2020, 22:03
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 751
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 870 Times in 387 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

We usually keep the boxes for everything in our basement storage, but at our last apartment we had UPC and I think they sent a box out to us so we could return the router. We have Salt now, so I hope we kept the box after reading this!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.10.2020, 23:12
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,177
Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,727 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
We usually keep the boxes for everything in our basement storage, but at our last apartment we had UPC and I think they sent a box out to us so we could return the router. We have Salt now, so I hope we kept the box after reading this!
I have had three UPC routers.

First one was too old for them so they told me to put it in the recycling.

Second one they told me to use the return label in the original pack, so I packed up the stuff in a shoebox and put it in the post. It came back to me! I checked with UPC and they confirmed my label was out-of-date and had an invalid address on it; they apologised and said they wouldn't bother me any more, I could just recycle that router as well (I guess the model was just about to be replaced anyway).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.10.2020, 23:56
Dinivan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 155
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 193 Times in 97 Posts
Dinivan has made some interesting contributions
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
I have had three UPC routers.

First one was too old for them so they told me to put it in the recycling.

Second one they told me to use the return label in the original pack, so I packed up the stuff in a shoebox and put it in the post. It came back to me! I checked with UPC and they confirmed my label was out-of-date and had an invalid address on it; they apologised and said they wouldn't bother me any more, I could just recycle that router as well (I guess the model was just about to be replaced anyway).
I'm with UPC now. Their customer service is miles away from dreadful Salt, they are so friendly and fast even for after-sales issues!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.10.2020, 10:18
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 1,992
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 610 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
A couple of weeks ago I cancelled my home internet contract with Salt 2 years into it. Awful customer service with long waits and wrong invoices.

So, according to the contract, I had to return the router. According to the contract I signed, section "appareils": "A l’expiration du Contrat, vous devez restituer les appareils non endommagés ŕ Salt dans les trente (30) jours suivant la fin de la durée. Si vous ne restituez pas les appareils, les câbles et les accessoires ou les restituez endommagés, vous devez payer un dédommagement conformément ŕ l’information produit se trouvant sur fiber.salt.ch."

For non-french speakers: "when the contract expires, you have to return the undamaged devices on the 30 days that follow the contract expiration. If you do not return the devices, the cables, and the accessories, or return them damaged, you have to pay a penalty in accordance with the information on the product found in fibre.salt.ch"

So, here I am, happy to change provider and leave this people behind. I go into the store with the router, the cables, and all accessories. In mint condition. Then the guy produces a sheet with the prices (which I could not find in their website) and starts ticking off the returned items, until he reaches "box".

He wants me to return the original box, or pay 25 francs for the lack of it. A carton box for 25 francs.

I point out that nowhere in the contract does it say that I needed to keep and return the carton box. He doesn't care. I insist and he directs me to salt's customer service number, which I call in his presence and after 30 minutes waiting for someone, finally one of the agents answers. He also ignores me, but again I insist that he needed to check the contract that I signed.

His final answer? "a box is a device" (appareil). WTF. And the store agent? "I cannot accept the returned items unless you pay in full the 25 francs; if you decide to not return any of the items, then Salt may force you to pay additional penalties".

I'm tired of big companies ignoring contracts and law, it only applies to them when it is you who has to pay.

FOR NEW PEOPLE ARRIVING INTO SWITZERLAND: AVOID SALT.
Personally, my entire experience with Salt has been and is great. Since I'm happy with their service I haven't had the need to return their gear, apart from when the router was upgraded to some new system - then I simply walked in with the router and power cord in a paper bag, handed them over, and received the new router. Since Swisscom had a similar "must be in the original box" condition when I returned their gear when I switched to Salt a couple of years back, and I had kept the box, I have kept the Salt box on hand.

Checking my (German) contract, it does have the phrase, "in the original packaging" when mentioning returning the bits and bobs on contract termination. The staff in the store were being nice to me when they took the old router back in a paper bag ... but also having checked, I still have the original box for that one as well (currently in use holding silicon moulds for dice).

Sounds more like a problem with the Röstigraben (split between French-speaking/German-speaking Switzerland) than a Salt issue. My local Salt store staff are always amazingly helpful (to the point of offering me deals I didn't know about which save me money on monthly contracts and provide more compared to the service I have asked for) and customer support, both online and on the phone, has been painless and effective.

I would recommend that people use Salt, and not just because it's cheap and fast - at least in my area of Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank araqyl for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.10.2020, 12:31
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,959
Groaned at 23 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,198 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

I have a SALT contract for two phones and a home 4G box, 69 CHF per month. I've listened to horror stories from them, but the thing I liked from the contract is that I can cancel it with 1 month notice period if I send them a deregister from CH document. COnsidering all what I've saved over the years compared to my first contract with swisscom.....I'd say 25 CHF is nothing.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.10.2020, 12:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,033
Groaned at 291 Times in 220 Posts
Thanked 18,171 Times in 6,368 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Why not complain on Twitter?
This deserves some name and shame.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
This user groans at k_and_e for this post:
  #8  
Old 15.10.2020, 12:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 533
Groaned at 44 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 577 Times in 318 Posts
dandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputation
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

One still has to wonder why they are so anal about the packaging box. Do they actually reuse those boxes/devices or are they just find way to slap a charge on the customer? I can't think that a carton box that has been opened (thus stickers removed, potentially torn/scratched/etc) is in any way reusable, or that they are even giving reused devices (routers etc) to new customers - used devices need to be cleaned, dusted, reconfigured, etc to be passed on. Used cables may not pass quality criteria. Pretty much any provider I have had in the past always sent new equipment....

So yeah pretty shitty behaviour even if this is assumed to be a low-cost service (for Switzerland, it's would still be an arm and a leg in other parts of the world).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank dandi for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.11.2020, 20:41
evop's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 29 Posts
evop has earned some respectevop has earned some respect
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
Considering all what I've saved over the years compared to my first contract with swisscom.....I'd say 25 CHF is nothing.
This, I can't agree more.


I have four lanes (2 with unlimited everything + EU and US, 2 with everything unlimited in CH) for 95 CHF/M, and it is twice as low as was with Sunrise for a similar package with worse conditions (only mean Internet speeds and the network coverage here).
Also, when I was prolonging two lanes, Salt rep offered me a promotional deal valid for new customers only (apparently not) with better conditions for a better price, than I was paying at that moment.



Never returned them anything, though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.10.2020, 12:41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 103
Groaned at 34 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 46 Posts
mikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeable
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
I would recommend that people use Salt, and not just because it's cheap and fast - at least in my area of Switzerland!
then why, other than 'just cheap and fast'?

(n.b: i wouldn't use them in any case, even though they are 'cheap and fast'; am just curious)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.10.2020, 16:08
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 1,992
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 610 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
then why, other than 'just cheap and fast'?

(n.b: i wouldn't use them in any case, even though they are 'cheap and fast'; am just curious)
See below for the "why" ...

Quote:
View Post
Personally, my entire experience with Salt has been and is great. Since I'm happy with their service I haven't had the need to return their gear, apart from when the router was upgraded to some new system - then I simply walked in with the router and power cord in a paper bag, handed them over, and received the new router. Since Swisscom had a similar "must be in the original box" condition when I returned their gear when I switched to Salt a couple of years back, and I had kept the box, I have kept the Salt box on hand.

Checking my (German) contract, it does have the phrase, "in the original packaging" when mentioning returning the bits and bobs on contract termination. The staff in the store were being nice to me when they took the old router back in a paper bag ... but also having checked, I still have the original box for that one as well (currently in use holding silicon moulds for dice).

Sounds more like a problem with the Röstigraben (split between French-speaking/German-speaking Switzerland) than a Salt issue. My local Salt store staff are always amazingly helpful (to the point of offering me deals I didn't know about which save me money on monthly contracts and provide more compared to the service I have asked for) and customer support, both online and on the phone, has been painless and effective.

I would recommend that people use Salt, and not just because it's cheap and fast - at least in my area of Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.10.2020, 12:58
Murloc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 396
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 209 Posts
Murloc has earned the respect of manyMurloc has earned the respect of manyMurloc has earned the respect of many
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

these companies are hit or miss with customer service, it's just how it is. At least they're cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.10.2020, 17:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,271
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,767 Times in 5,674 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
I point out that nowhere in the contract does it say that I needed to keep and return the carton box. He doesn't care. I insist and he directs me to salt's customer service number, which I call in his presence and after 30 minutes waiting for someone, finally one of the agents answers. He also ignores me, but again I insist that he needed to check the contract that I signed.
Their "Home pricing brochure" spells it out, at least the current version does.

It looks like you were missing the packaging, one cable, and the RJ11 adaptor. Which makes the charges far less nonsensical than you present them.

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
This user groans at Urs Max for this post:
  #14  
Old 17.10.2020, 07:44
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,581
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,296 Times in 675 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

OP I am with you. This is nonsensical and they will throw it anyway, it's not like they will give th écouter to someone else.

Have you now returned all or not?

If not, I would put it all in a package, with a copy of the contract and section highlighted and send it to them with a list of what you are sending mentioning that you consider the matter closed.

Might be just a few people at customer service that cannot do their jobs. Unfortunately those are everywhere, Swisscom has them too at times
I have just hanged up and called someone else.

In any case, stay strong, 25 CHF is not worth your sanity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20.10.2020, 03:35
Dinivan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 155
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 193 Times in 97 Posts
Dinivan has made some interesting contributions
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
OP I am with you. This is nonsensical and they will throw it anyway, it's not like they will give th écouter to someone else.

Have you now returned all or not?

If not, I would put it all in a package, with a copy of the contract and section highlighted and send it to them with a list of what you are sending mentioning that you consider the matter closed.

Might be just a few people at customer service that cannot do their jobs. Unfortunately those are everywhere, Swisscom has them too at times
I have just hanged up and called someone else.

In any case, stay strong, 25 CHF is not worth your sanity.
I did pay, I rather move on and forget this awful company than letting them stress me for a mere 25 francs. I can tell you what would happen if I did what you advise: they'd reply that I need to pay the full amount. Both people I spoke with had the contract in front of them, that's why eventually the guy on the phone called it a "device". I also wrote a complaint to salt via their website who then replied saying the same thing....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dinivan for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 20.10.2020, 05:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Zürich area
Posts: 84
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
JSOU has made some interesting contributions
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

It is unfortunate that this happens from time to time, it seems that some service providers test the sanity of customers to the limit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JSOU for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 21.10.2020, 18:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 661
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 455 Times in 289 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
OP I am with you. This is nonsensical and they will throw it anyway, it's not like they will give th écouter to someone else.

Have you now returned all or not?

If not, I would put it all in a package, with a copy of the contract and section highlighted and send it to them with a list of what you are sending mentioning that you consider the matter closed.

Might be just a few people at customer service that cannot do their jobs. Unfortunately those are everywhere, Swisscom has them too at times
I have just hanged up and called someone else.

In any case, stay strong, 25 CHF is not worth your sanity.
I agree, for a loss of CHF25 I would just say the 'F'-word once and forget it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 20.10.2020, 17:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,271
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,767 Times in 5,674 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
Why the f*** should I care about what their website says? do you understand the notion of a contract signed between two parties?
Your contract rules that other documents form an integral part of it. Including said brochure, their general T&C and their product-specific T&C.

This is what you signed.

Whether you care doesn't matter, the other party will hold you accountable anyway. As you just learned. Your new provider will do likewise, as will others - looking forward to your next complaint on the same issue.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.10.2020, 14:03
Dinivan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 155
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 193 Times in 97 Posts
Dinivan has made some interesting contributions
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
Your contract rules that other documents form an integral part of it. Including said brochure, their general T&C and their product-specific T&C.

This is what you signed.

Whether you care doesn't matter, the other party will hold you accountable anyway. As you just learned. Your new provider will do likewise, as will others - looking forward to your next complaint on the same issue.
Don't you think that it is precisely because I care that I threw away the damn box? I read the contract carefully. Three salt employees had to defend their case by claiming that a cardboard box is a device as this was the only means they had to justify the price tag. But then there's you, who has no clue at what is included or not in my private contract but are happy to offer your unrequested view nonetheless, thank you for that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.10.2020, 19:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,271
Groaned at 403 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 10,767 Times in 5,674 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt - a carton box for 25 francs

Quote:
View Post
Don't you think that it is precisely because I care that I threw away the damn box? I read the contract carefully. Three salt employees had to defend their case by claiming that a cardboard box is a device as this was the only means they had to justify the price tag. But then there's you, who has no clue at what is included or not in my private contract but are happy to offer your unrequested view nonetheless, thank you for that.
Your contract contains what everybody else's does, you wouldn't have been accepted otherwise.

Besides, reading =/= understanding
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carton boxes for Air Cargo mitali Daily life 8 01.06.2014 23:39
Moving House - Looking for carton boxes AdrienBe Housing in general 2 11.08.2013 21:13
where can I get pretty carton boxes for cakes/cookies? ocean Food and drink 4 12.10.2012 22:30
Newspaper and carton box collection in Zug? Wolfswinkel Other/general 2 11.11.2011 11:53
Where to throw carton boxes ? [Zurich] vlad_island Other/general 7 27.10.2008 01:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0