Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08.01.2021, 20:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nordwestschweiz
Posts: 288
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 264 Times in 117 Posts
IronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working with very Swiss people

I have lived and worked in a few different countries and often hear expats asking the same question so it's not something unique to Switzerland.

In general I find that ice breakers help. People are not necessarily unfriendly, just a bit unsure sometimes of how to communicate with someone who doesn't speak their language.

Learning the language and making the effort to speak it, regardless of mistakes, also helps a lot.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank IronAngle for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 08.01.2021, 22:20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Vaud
Posts: 333
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 94 Posts
Gravity has an excellent reputationGravity has an excellent reputationGravity has an excellent reputationGravity has an excellent reputation
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
So, not complaining. My only advice - get to be more efficient, and stop looking for your social circle through work!

That's a very good advice! I'm not Swiss but I'm disgusted by any corporate setups to "build a family" I wish people were friendly, inclusive but also mind your personal space and were efficient at work
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Gravity for this useful post:
This user groans at Gravity for this post:
  #63  
Old 09.01.2021, 13:56
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,360
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,477 Times in 975 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

All this Swiss stereotyping about our host country reminds of this one time, at band camp when 4 EF'ers - a yank, a frenchman, a brit and a swissie were on a flight.

The pilot announced over the intercom that there was an engine problem and they needed to lose some weight fast.

The american threw out his suitcase with a million dollars (he was on the EF poverty line), his MAGA baseball cap, ten Big Macs, and his Glock and said, "no shortage of these where I come from".

The frenchman jettisoned his beret and striped shirt, his onion necklace, camembert and his glass of 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pégau. He gave a gallic shrug and said "There's plenty more where that came from".

The brit threw his pork pie, his cup of tea, with a teaspoon of brown sugar, his Downton Abbey DVD and copy of the Daily Mail out "I'm sure there's a Waitrose where I'll be able to get more of these", he sighed.

The Swiss thought long and hard, took one last look at the cuckoo clock he was clutching, before finally opening the emergency exit and throwing the yank, frenchman and brit out, before saying "there's plenty more of these where I come from".
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 10.01.2021, 23:17
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,648
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,465 Times in 2,971 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
That's a very good advice! I'm not Swiss but I'm disgusted by any corporate setups to "build a family" I wish people were friendly, inclusive but also mind your personal space and were efficient at work
Didn’t follow the thread tbh but there are some really great companies out there in CH that are still actively promoting a good and interactive on-line environment. My daughters company for example hosted an on-line escape room in their team last Friday, one of many events of the past months of home-working.

But I also can’t stand the constant e-mail influx of Big Bank Corporate career makers with their nauseous making, empty mails of encouragement for the ‘good cause’ of profits and family health
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10.01.2021, 23:31
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,648
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,465 Times in 2,971 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
All this Swiss stereotyping about our host country reminds of this one time, at band camp when 4 EF'ers - a yank, a frenchman, a brit and a swissie were on a flight.

The pilot announced over the intercom that there was an engine problem and they needed to lose some weight fast.

The american threw out his suitcase with a million dollars (he was on the EF poverty line), his MAGA baseball cap, ten Big Macs, and his Glock and said, "no shortage of these where I come from".

The frenchman jettisoned his beret and striped shirt, his onion necklace, camembert and his glass of 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pégau. He gave a gallic shrug and said "There's plenty more where that came from".

The brit threw his pork pie, his cup of tea, with a teaspoon of brown sugar, his Downton Abbey DVD and copy of the Daily Mail out "I'm sure there's a Waitrose where I'll be able to get more of these", he sighed.

The Swiss thought long and hard, took one last look at the cuckoo clock he was clutching, before finally opening the emergency exit and throwing the yank, frenchman and brit out, before saying "there's plenty more of these where I come from".
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11.01.2021, 08:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,132
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,421 Times in 8,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
That's a very good advice! I'm not Swiss but I'm disgusted by any corporate setups to "build a family" I wish people were friendly, inclusive but also mind your personal space and were efficient at work
Corporate team building activities and events aim to encourage collaboration between employees, which leads to increased productivity, not to build a family. I take it a lot of people feel awkward because they're under the impression they're being forced to do something they're not used to but it really isn't about building "a family". At the end of the day everyone goes home and lives as they please but it matters how we spend those 8 hours a day - whether it's in an unnecessarily competitive and stressful environment or is somewhere we can trust people around us.
But why are we talking only about big corporate cultures here, I know small businesses that have their own routines and activities which ultimately have the same purpose. Not to become best friends with colleagues, that is your private affair.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11.01.2021, 09:13
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,157
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,128 Times in 809 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

In the meantime the OP hasn't replied (not even once), and hasn't posted any place else again. I think we scared her off?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 11.01.2021, 09:28
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,310
Groaned at 160 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 8,340 Times in 3,087 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
In the meantime the OP hasn't replied (not even once), and hasn't posted any place else again. I think we scared her off?
We might have been a bit too Swiss.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 11.01.2021, 09:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,228
Groaned at 406 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 4,562 Times in 1,654 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
In the meantime the OP hasn't replied (not even once), and hasn't posted any place else again. I think we scared her off?
Yea, EF tends to do that. Many on here tend to forget people are struggling out there, are homesick/feel out of place & in desperation, turn to an online resource to vent and seek help. Really terrible how quickly EF tends to judge the newbies.

I'm not completely innocent of this in the past, but I've noticed a harsher recent trend of groaning / "suck it up" kind of behaviour towards new joiners... we can do better.

Last edited by Susie-Q; 11.01.2021 at 10:00.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 11.01.2021, 10:19
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quite a negative tone here, not sure if that would classify as very local, not in my experiences. Some events were great, not meant to replace a "family" at work nor make people "work more". They were hilarious, were meant to get to know one another better and get a little break from work routine. Food and sports usually make people happy, especially if not absolutely mandatory. It was refreshing, people laughed together, got to understand eachother's humor, were glad to see bosses in less official way. Some became buddies after. I think that's the point of these 'day-off' events..I'd take one anytime now, it's not like we can.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 11.01.2021, 13:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,132
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,421 Times in 8,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
Quite a negative tone here, not sure if that would classify as very local, not in my experiences. Some events were great, not meant to replace a "family" at work nor make people "work more". They were hilarious, were meant to get to know one another better and get a little break from work routine. Food and sports usually make people happy, especially if not absolutely mandatory. It was refreshing, people laughed together, got to understand eachother's humor, were glad to see bosses in less official way. Some became buddies after. I think that's the point of these 'day-off' events..I'd take one anytime now, it's not like we can.
This.

Quote:
View Post
Exactly. Toe-curlingly awkward. Yes.

Not only because they're not used to it, but also because they don't like being cooerced into doing the activities (called "challenges"... shudder) proposed, perhaps because find them embarrassing, nor do they experience the "fun" or the "learning experience" in the happy, up-beat way the trainer presents it, and commonly resent the budget spent on the day, in short, they don't want to be there and resent that the time is in-between, since they can neither get on with their project, nor can they properly have the day off.

At those I've attended, the resounding mutter at the end of the day, by all or almost all the participants was: Thank goodness that's over! Those team-building projects seem to me to be Emperor's clothing.

I've yet to met anyone who was glad of having been on such a team-building day and who subsequently deemed it to have been useful. Possible exception: the boastful team-member who already thought, beforehand, that he/she was super-fantastic, and then used the day's exercises as a personal show-case, and goes on and on, gloating over his/her triumphs, in the subsequent months.
I guess we're all different. Yes, it takes people out of their comfort zone a little but that isn't necessarily bad. Or maybe some deal better with "public humiliations" (not that I would personally label such events as humiliations, just quoted the term mentioned here before).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 17.01.2021, 01:39
Murloc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 524
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 578 Times in 291 Posts
Murloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputation
Re: Working with very Swiss people

at our company we went on a hike, made a fire and grilled, everyone enjoyed it.
I've heard of people doing team events at the bowling place nearby. They reported positive feelings with that.

So I think it's more of an issue of what you do. In general, activities are good for bonding, and if they're outside of work obligations they also allow to bond in a different way. That's the point I think.
Not sure what you need a coach for, though.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Murloc for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 17.01.2021, 01:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
Quite a negative tone here, not sure if that would classify as very local, not in my experiences. Some events were great, not meant to replace a "family" at work nor make people "work more". They were hilarious, were meant to get to know one another better and get a little break from work routine. Food and sports usually make people happy, especially if not absolutely mandatory. It was refreshing, people laughed together, got to understand eachother's humor, were glad to see bosses in less official way. Some became buddies after. I think that's the point of these 'day-off' events..I'd take one anytime now, it's not like we can.
For those of us in international teams it's really worth just putting a face to a name and going for a jolly and a beer.

In my career (multiple jobs), I've worked with teams in the us. Going out there or vice versa is really worthwhile.

"Challenges", "Experiences" and "team building exercises" though - no thanks.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 17.01.2021, 08:05
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,478
Groaned at 133 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,684 Times in 769 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

They can be hit or miss, no question and they could have great value in times like these but they are not easy to organize considering the circumstances

We plan sort of breakout get togethers with a subset of colleagues for outdoor activities like hikes - even now, a cross country get together is happening soon

We are social creatures, virtual contact has it's role but it's far from enough
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 18.01.2021, 03:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,132
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,421 Times in 8,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
Sounds good, that kind of socialising. Yes, I agree, we are social creatures. And it works best when it isn't forced into some coach/trainer's scheme, but can, instead, be about hikes, and having a drink together, and just talking about something outside of one's specific work project.
It also depends on the trainer's scheme and style or on the programme itself. Your posts here made me realise how different people are and how different corporate culture can be. I miss this type of fun. Of course I also like hiking and getting together for a drink but that's something you can do anyway, without much planning or making it "official".
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 18.01.2021, 12:15
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 51 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,413 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
It also depends on the trainer's scheme and style or on the programme itself. Your posts here made me realise how different people are and how different corporate culture can be. I miss this type of fun. Of course I also like hiking and getting together for a drink but that's something you can do anyway, without much planning or making it "official".
Well, for large companies it has to be official if you want to have accountants and engineers drinking together in the same room, even for a simple drink
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 18.01.2021, 12:33
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ZH
Posts: 688
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 1,327 Times in 410 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

In the good old days, we had a company bar (next to the free restaurant) in the Headquarters of one of the UK's largest companies where I worked. The bar was subsided and open at lunchtimes and on a Thursday evening. Everyone knew each other and people mixed across the hierarchy. Obviously it would be unacceptable these days, but it worked.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 18.01.2021, 12:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,132
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,421 Times in 8,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
Well, for large companies it has to be official if you want to have accountants and engineers drinking together in the same room, even for a simple drink
Or you can charge the company. As my OH would quickly point out....as they used to have nice budgets for these sort of things... Nope, I'm not envious, not envious at all.

Quote:
View Post
In the good old days, we had a company bar (next to the free restaurant) in the Headquarters of one of the UK's largest companies where I worked. The bar was subsided and open at lunchtimes and on a Thursday evening. Everyone knew each other and people mixed across the hierarchy. Obviously it would be unacceptable these days, but it worked.
We still have (had) events like that.

Last edited by greenmount; 18.01.2021 at 13:03. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 18.01.2021, 12:42
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 51 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,413 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
Or you can charge the company. As my OH would quickly point out....as they used to have nice budgets for these sort of things... Nope, I'm not envious, not envious at all.
I'm happy now. For some time there was a CEO that liked the team-building events, but he's gone. Also, the guy had a charity and expected his employees worked for free for the charity on weekends. Funny thing, he liked to boast about how generous he was
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 06.02.2021, 17:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Wettingen
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 6 Posts
subutai has earned some respectsubutai has earned some respect
Re: Working with very Swiss people

Quote:
View Post
It could be that the country is run by the robots. After all, Swiss made the quantum leap in area of AI and machine learning. They must be watching their beloved country from far away while sipping on Pina Colada’s and laughing somewhere on exotic beaches.


In all seriousness we already have a symbiote relationship with AI. This AI will soon be much smarter than our cortex part of the brain. But the issue that would remain is the data transfer being too slow, unless we come up with a way to improve upon this with further integration to the extent our symbiotic and cortex layers of the brain do.

I heard the suggestion that AI is already smarter than us by engineering this giant symbiotic organism developing generation after generation until which point we are left behind like a more primitive layer of the brain.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm tired of working in the corporate world and seeking like-minded people! Boo Radley Daily life 60 02.09.2020 21:02
Looking for people working in pharma (especially CELGENE) Angela-74 General off-topic 4 20.08.2014 08:26
What people think about non-working wife in Switzerland 4_Ni_Ma Daily life 33 04.06.2013 18:48
People Working Basel Pharma (Novartis/ Roche) aocampox Daily life 1 09.12.2008 04:03
Looking for job - Working with people with learning disability/head injuries Leese Employment 0 29.05.2007 13:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0