Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.03.2021, 12:58
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,457
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,943 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
phone conversation too loud

Hello,

Eventually I arrived to the complaints corner.

One of my neighbors, flat right above, came knocking at 1h00 in the morning to complain I was being too loud. The issue is that my wife was asleep in the bedroom and I was talking with my brother on the phone. I understand the silent hours from 22h00 to 6h00, but a phone call with all my windows shut?

I'm getting tired. It's not the first time the neighbor complains about something. We don't smoke but one day one of my guests was smoking on my balcony and guess who came down knocking.

The call with my brother was a bit tense. I think I let all the frustration out with the idiot who came down knocking at 1h00 and might scared him. I told the guy that If was being too loud we should call the police. He didn't want to. So, I called the police and he ran into his flat. But, is there a more civil way to avoid these unwarranted visits?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:04
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 181
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 163 Times in 83 Posts
erchegyia has made some interesting contributions
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
The call with my brother was a bit tense.
Maybe practice some self-assessment here... Do you really think he walks down at 1 am for fun?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank erchegyia for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:05
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,735
Groaned at 385 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 13,143 Times in 4,507 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Yeh. Don‘t make phone calls at 1 in the morning...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at AbFab for this post:
  #4  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:07
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,946
Groaned at 449 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 18,085 Times in 10,092 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

I suspect the fact you called his bluff and phoned the police may have done the trick. If he was that upset about it he'd have made a formal complaint when they turned up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:11
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,457
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,943 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
Yeh. Don‘t make phone calls at 1 in the morning...
Maybe I need few min to process this. But, modern building with perfect noise insulation, all widows shut? I understand the tumble dryer is noisy, but talking? Is it rude to talk in your own apartment no matter the hour? If this is the case, I'm seriously surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:18
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,457
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,943 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
I suspect the fact you called his bluff and phoned the police may have done the trick. If he was that upset about it he'd have made a formal complaint when they turned up.
The police did not want to show up. I called them. I told my neighbor thinks I'm rocking the building, the police asked to talk to him, and he shut his door. The police told me that there was no noise complain from the building.....go back to sleep sir.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,549
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,090 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
Maybe I need few min to process this. But, modern building with perfect noise insulation, all widows shut? I understand the tumble dryer is noisy, but talking? Is it rude to talk in your own apartment no matter the hour? If this is the case, I'm seriously surprised.
No, of course it is not rude.
Just sometimes we speak louder than we realize

However your neighbour seems somewhat over sensitive.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,861
Groaned at 147 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,112 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
Maybe I need few min to process this. But, modern building with perfect noise insulation, all widows shut? I understand the tumble dryer is noisy, but talking? Is it rude to talk in your own apartment no matter the hour? If this is the case, I'm seriously surprised.
It must not be as perfect as you think. If you can be heard, at 1 a.m., I would consider it rude. Sucks for you and it's another reason why I could never live in an apartment in this country.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:32
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,457
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,943 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
It must not be as perfect as you think. If you can be heard, at 1 a.m., I would consider it rude. Sucks for you and it's another reason why I could never live in an apartment in this country.
It really sucks. I'll consider a single home for the next time we move.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:54
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,322
Groaned at 677 Times in 525 Posts
Thanked 26,355 Times in 10,625 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
Yeh. Don‘t make phone calls at 1 in the morning...
If one was phoning Brazil, for example, and one wanted to reach someone there early evening when they got back from work, it would be 19.00 which would be a reasonable time to receive a call.

With the world as it is, and with families and friends spread around it, it's always going to be 1.00 am somewhere.

If the OP made a regular occurrence of it then that's one thing but a one off, or a friend who once smoked on the balcony once? It seems that the neighbour is perhaps the inconsiderate one.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.03.2021, 13:59
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
It must not be as perfect as you think. If you can be heard, at 1 a.m., I would consider it rude. Sucks for you and it's another reason why I could never live in an apartment in this country.
There's a difference between being heard and being too loud.

Overnight is supposed to be quiet time, not silent time - maybe the neighbour couldn't sleep and the quiet drone of a voice annoyed them, but that's their problem.

Sounds like they are a perennial complainer anyway.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.03.2021, 14:19
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,457
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,943 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
There's a difference between being heard and being too loud.

Overnight is supposed to be quiet time, not silent time - maybe the neighbour couldn't sleep and the quiet drone of a voice annoyed them, but that's their problem.

Sounds like they are a perennial complainer anyway.
Another important detail. Our building is 8-10 meters away from the Suhre. A lovely river but also a white noise generator. When I go to sleep I listen to the river, not my neighbors whatever they're doing. Sometimes I listen to the TV from other flat, or children jumping on the bed, but the river drowns them.

I guess that everyone is going a bit crazy with our soft lockdown. All the times my neighbor has complained is when restaurants and bars are closed.
I'll take it this way, we're behaving weird because of boredom, things will improve this week with shops opening once again.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.03.2021, 14:23
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,687
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 967 Times in 618 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

Eventually I arrived to the complaints corner.

One of my neighbors, flat right above, came knocking at 1h00 in the morning to complain I was being too loud. The issue is that my wife was asleep in the bedroom and I was talking with my brother on the phone. I understand the silent hours from 22h00 to 6h00, but a phone call with all my windows shut?

I'm getting tired. It's not the first time the neighbor complains about something. We don't smoke but one day one of my guests was smoking on my balcony and guess who came down knocking.

The call with my brother was a bit tense. I think I let all the frustration out with the idiot who came down knocking at 1h00 and might scared him. I told the guy that If was being too loud we should call the police. He didn't want to. So, I called the police and he ran into his flat. But, is there a more civil way to avoid these unwarranted visits?

It is complicated how and when noise travels around flats/apartments. Some noise is heard by one and not another.


During these Covid times the stress levels can be more intense.


The mother of family under us has an unfortunate Loud laugh and often hear her voice on the phone.



Last summer once week, the family had at least one of those on-line Games quiz shows they participated, very loud and noisy. My o/h always had sleep disturbed from it. Once or twice out the window I intimated to keep the noise down.


With difficulty on occasions we have tried to be understanding of neighbours in these Covid times, but if it happens again this summer, be assured I will react.


OP, however you are having phone or on line chat with someone; some suggests


  1. use headset so the person you are talking are not heard
  2. keep your voice low, when people are sleeping
  3. Maybe use a room in your home that is not near your neighbours when they sleep


Separately I was flabbergasted that you called the Police out at 1am for a neighbours complaint against you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank moggy for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.03.2021, 14:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 77
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 31 Posts
BrianR has earned some respectBrianR has earned some respect
Re: phone conversation too loud

I don't think the neighbor should have knocked at the door at that hour unless it was an emergency. That complaint could have waited until the morning and it probably would have been better received (and the complainer might have calmed down a bit).

As for the loud conversation at 1 am, I could understand how for a light sleeper this could be a major annoyance. Maybe your voice sounds even louder through the vents? I used to share an office with a loud talker and it is not fun having to hear that. It seems like those type phone calls go on forever.

By the way, not related to this story per se, a friend was once on a train and a guy was talking loud on the phone. There was an older lady trying to read a book. She became so annoyed that she started reading out loud at the same volume as the guy on the phone. He got the message and got off the phone.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank BrianR for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:04
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,252
Groaned at 312 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 23,661 Times in 9,624 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

You could have answered the door all bleary eyed, denied using the phone and asked him what he thought he was doing disturbing you at that time in the morning. That'd've confused him - especially if he was sleep deprived.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:07
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,965
Groaned at 391 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 15,740 Times in 7,234 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
I don't think the neighbor should have knocked at the door at that hour unless it was an emergency. That complaint could have waited until the morning and it probably would have been better received (and the complainer might have calmed down a bit).

It can be fairly annoying if you work shifts or have to get up at 4 am to catch a flight?



Not defending the neighbour here, just generally speaking.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:16
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,457
Groaned at 76 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,943 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
You could have answered the door all bleary eyed, denied using the phone and asked him what he thought he was doing disturbing you at that time in the morning. That'd've confused him - especially if he was sleep deprived.
Lost my cool, so I wasn't thinking in any strategy beyond WTF is your problem?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:22
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,716
Groaned at 2,626 Times in 1,868 Posts
Thanked 39,825 Times in 18,784 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
You could have answered the door all bleary eyed
And naked!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:58
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 5,242
Groaned at 308 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,771 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
Maybe I need few min to process this. But, modern building with perfect noise insulation, all widows shut? I understand the tumble dryer is noisy, but talking? Is it rude to talk in your own apartment no matter the hour? If this is the case, I'm seriously surprised.

Well obviously you don't, it you woke him up at 1:00am
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 01.03.2021, 16:00
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 5,242
Groaned at 308 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,771 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phone conversation too loud

Quote:
View Post
I don't think the neighbor should have knocked at the door at that hour unless it was an emergency. That complaint could have waited until the morning and it probably would have been better received (and the complainer might have calmed down a bit).

Really, you got to get up at 5:30 and you are woken up by some inconsiderate person rambling on at 01:00 am....
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud music before 10pm, loud music after: advice? staats Housing in general 5 29.11.2020 23:36
Lawyer Bill for reading my email/phone conversation blackbird Complaints corner 79 28.08.2020 20:56
Help please - my Loud cat SWISSMISS143 Pet corner 23 13.10.2011 23:36
too loud ;) aureola77 Complaints corner 57 13.05.2011 11:51
Looking to trade English conversation for french conversation [Geneva] gaelle Language corner 1 24.01.2008 21:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0